Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th March 2009, 15:26   #736
Senior - BHPian

@tsk> no matter how dusty the road you went through, i really doubt the air filter clogs so fast. I clearly recollect that the air filter on my safari was probably cleaned on 1st service @ 1150kms(if they did clean it at all). Then it was cleaned straight at Mandi @15500kms(in front of me) and it looked quite dirty. I do recollect driving through some real bad dusty roads during the 1st 15000kms.

For all those who think that Safari is a bad product: (No intention to hijack your thread tanveer)
I am not in the habit of looking under the bonnet. I did not even take my Safari to the TASS for a check up before my Spiti trip.
It has never had me stranded anywhere.
I honestly do not think twice before before cranking the engine.
After the 15000kms service at Mandi, I decided not to change engine oil till 30000kms(scheduled service). Just to see how the car performs under extreme stress that I give it.
I have recently returned from a 5000kms journey to nowhere and back(please wait till I find time for the travelogue) which included hard driving at 160kph and revving through all gears and also included approx 90kms of total 4wd offroad.
The odometer now reads around 27900kms.
I have seen the service light come on recently while revving and coasting on all gears. It however does not scare me, since im sure it must be sedimenter related, terribly messed up air filter, poor fuel quality and /or engine oil devoid of its properties.
I do intend to get these sorted out at the 30000kms service and im confident the TASS will sort it.

Point im trying to make here is that the Safari isnt the best, not even close. It does not compare to exacting Toyota standards either. It has small issues here and there, that I have come to live with(like the -6* in Mumbai as shown by my temp on the digital display). But all in all it is a workhorse. Not perfect, but the best available as of today for the price.

As for bad lemons. there is no guarantee that the box of alphonsos that you bought at a premium will turn out to be good.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th March 2009 at 15:27.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:30   #737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
suman ji wait for the travelogue.
Tanveer,

Looks like your travelogue also has run into problems, the second page is not being displayed at all
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:33   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

tsk1979 Quote:
At that time me and my wife both were thinking what could be wrong.
I thought
1. Maybe air filter is clogged, after all it was the dustiest drive I had done
2. Maybe water pump had failed, since coolant tank is full, and car is going into limp home mode when temp approaches half mark
3. Maybe sedimenter sensor has failed, there is water in sedimentar and its not showing the problem
4. Maybe I have kerosene instead of diesel, due to which fuel pump etc., is having issues as temp of engine rises

My wife thought
1. Some sensor has failed, after all temp sensor had failed once
2. Some connector is loose somewhere, and as temp rises, it loses connection

3. Some loose nut behind the wheel
ENDQUOTE:

Sorry for taking that liberty Tanveer but honestly how can you go to remote places and truly enjoy 4x4 or wilderness if in your mind you are always having a nagging doubt about your vehicles reliability.

OTOH we have others who have had trouble free operations on the Safari's so it really looks like quality assurance problems at TATA. So much disparity in vehicle reliability.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:35   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Tanveer,

Looks like your travelogue also has run into problems, the second page is not being displayed at all
Yes Tanveer. The disease has spread to your travelogue too.
page 2 (too) wont open.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:37   #740
Senior - BHPian

(on a lighter note)

I found the reason for all this mess - NO HANGING LEMON & CHILLY IN FRONT!

TSK, How could you!!!

Warning: No comments on the 'thread' hanging from the 'lemon'!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 15:42   #741
Team-BHP Support

Its one big lemon, and the experience is leaving a taste much more bitter than the spiciest chillies of the world in my mouth, so why do I need lemon chilly?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:03   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

because it is only complete with the chillies !!
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:08   #743
Senior - BHPian

tsk1979

Can feel the pain... I was in the same situation as you about 1.2 yrs back...I moved on..

Darn guys are really thick skinned.

You would be extremely luck if they replaced your complete vehicle.

Just in case if you dont know already.. If your engine fails before 10K-12k, its replaced completely. Incase its more than that, its treated under warranty.

Push them real hard for engine replacement

Let me know if you need any help

Regards
Rahul
Rahulk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:15   #744
BHPian

OT: It is always good trying to make mood light...but throwing jokes this time is simply going to make already pissed off Tanveer more frustrated.
deepgautam_qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:35   #745
Senior - BHPian

tsk this would be the scariest thing i can think off dont even want to dream of it!

I visted this thread soon after you had purchased this vehicle and posted your experience etc....it was a good start then but sad to see where it has reached!

I dont believe TATA anymore

Quote:
My donkey does not have any relapses or repeat issues. Every time its something new.
I will pen the details in the travelogue, but to sum it up, service light was blinking and ECU was going to limp home mode as soon as she slightly warmed up.
So I was restricted to 1200rpm, which means I could do only downhill.
Which also meant I was standing on dark and lonely NH22 at 8pm, with no way of taking her to Kalpa, and no signal or network coverage.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 16:55   #746
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way that the manufacturer be forced to recall the complete vehicle and provide a replacement and also pay for all the wasted time and mental disharmony caused.

Quote:
suman ji wait for the travelogue. The air filter cleaning was a shot in the dark. I remembered an incident on TBHP itself where a safari had loss of power, and cause was airfilter. But air filter had been cleaned barely 1500kms ago when injector replacement was done

At that time me and my wife both were thinking what could be wrong.
I thought
1. Maybe air filter is clogged, after all it was the dustiest drive I had done
2. Maybe water pump had failed, since coolant tank is full, and car is going into limp home mode when temp approaches half mark
3. Maybe sedimenter sensor has failed, there is water in sedimentar and its not showing the problem
4. Maybe I have kerosene instead of diesel, due to which fuel pump etc., is having issues as temp of engine rises

My wife thought
1. Some sensor has failed, after all temp sensor had failed once
2. Some connector is loose somewhere, and as temp rises, it loses connection

Next day the sedimentar was drained, and we got diesel inspected at HP pump, and it was clean, no debris, no water. Air filter was dirty when I cleaned it at sangla, but not that dirty that air filter is restricting airflow.

Finally the service guy caught an overnight bus from shimla to reckong peo, and at 7am the laptop was hooked and finally after some hit and trial, the real problem was found.

Now my plan of action?
I have mailed Tata asking for replacement.
The reason is that I have had 1 critical 4x4 hub failure
Along with that so many parts of common rail changed.

Now she is leaking oil(I see the manifold leaking oil)

Moreover, the car has overheated twice, and we have been stranded on road twice
Once in Gurgaon, and once in remote himalayas.
I am waiting for response from TML, what they have to say about this fiasco

Last edited by m_upreti : 16th March 2009 at 16:56.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 17:00   #747
Senior - BHPian

sorry for OT

Tanveer i am not able to view your travelogue after the posts were moved twice by mods,only 1st page is visible,getting script errors on 2nd page
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 17:04   #748
Team-BHP Support

yup, we are looking into the issue akshay
Old 16th March 2009, 17:08   #749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Is there any way that the manufacturer be forced to recall the complete vehicle and provide a replacement and also pay for all the wasted time and mental disharmony caused.
If wishes were horses..... The car owner has little recourse in India, its a sad state of affairs, but you never know when you can get lucky!
Old 16th March 2009, 17:15   #750
Senior - BHPian

All the best, I have had my share of issue with my Scorpio, I am contemplating some action if the issues dont stop now.

I will keep you updated if something works out.

Quote:
If wishes were horses..... The car owner has little recourse in India, its a sad state of affairs, but you never know when you can get lucky!
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote