The part encircled had come out that hook, and the pipe had bent itself
Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-image000.jpg
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 12:12   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That hardly looks like a hook or clamp - it's miserably designed, doesn't encircle 3/4th of the pipe (at least), has no undercuts to keep the pipe in place, and couldn't retain the pipe in any case when it's vibrating on a normal run, forget off-roading.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 12:35   #768
Team-BHP Support

Yes, its the flimsiest piece of engineering I have seen. This pipe is the only link from coolant tank to radiator, and its low quality plastic and even the clip is low quality.
What sort of silly R&D engineer designed this piece of junk!
Old 17th March 2009, 13:48   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What sort of silly R&D engineer designed this piece of junk!
The answer is there in SS-Traveller's signature: Mechanics who can read and write are called engineers.

BTW, I still cannot access the travelogue!

Last edited by anupmathur : 17th March 2009 at 13:50.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 13:55   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The answer is there in SS-Traveller's signature: Mechanics who can read and write are called engineers.
Oh God - - - Mathur-saab: You're almost insinuating that I'm responsible for the Safari's build quality and enginering. I wish I could put in a visit to Autolinks with Tanveer the next time he goes there, and have a chat with the GM. Toying with the idea of buying a 4x4 Safari, TD'd one on Friday the 13th March, and having hiccups about buying one every time Tanveer posts a report of a fresh failure!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 17th March 2009 at 13:58.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 13:57   #771
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If wishes were horses..... The car owner has little recourse in India, its a sad state of affairs, but you never know when you can get lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
All the best, I have had my share of issue with my Scorpio, I am contemplating some action if the issues dont stop now.
In the ideal world, Tbhp should play a more proactive role taking up issues with the manufacturers and not that a bhpian has to through a car magazine to gather attention and resolution. Anyway..

Quote:
Open the bonnet. You will see the plastic coolant tank near radiator. From the coolant tank there is a thin black pipe going to radiator(near cap). That had the small bend.

Normally it should not bend, as it is tied using a plastic clip in a way it cannot bend, but due to the flimsy nature of the clip, the pipe had come loose, and therefore this problem
Quote:

Is this the pipe? it has 3 clips along the length and did tuggle at it and seemed secure. OF course will tape it up myself before I travel next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0457ee.jpg  

Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0458ee.jpg  

adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:00   #772
Team-BHP Support

adc you are looking at the wrong pipe.
Thats the overflow pipe, so that if you put excess coolant it overflows
Look at the other side buddy, towards the ECU. this pipe goes from radiator cap to the base of the coolant tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
BTW, I still cannot access the travelogue!
There is a new thread up
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1217020 (Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th March 2009 at 14:02.
Old 17th March 2009, 14:07   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
How about publishing one pager on Tanveer's troubles with Safari, in AUTOCAR INDIA?
@GTO: Please suggest!

Cheers,
Deepak
I agree wholeheartedly!! what is happening to tanveer is ridiculous..stuck on a highway in the middle of nowhere with your wife all because some nincompoops cannot be bothered to maintain some semblance of Quality in the products they manufacture?!

No offense meant but some people here have said TATA bashing is fashion and should not be done as their rides are fine.

In my humble opinion ALL safaris have some problem or the other..windows getting stuck, rattling noises, inconsistent braking, krrr krrr from under the gear lever to list a few..and this when they are about a month old.

Quality is not making 70 "acceptable" safaris out of every 100..

I have clocked over 1,50,000 kms in my Qualis and there are many out there with twice that much on the odometer.

..and 1.5 lac kms of troublefree ownership, not ONE single breakdown, that is what QUALITY is Mr.Tata because my car is not a one off case but the norm.

How much longer should we suffer the likes of Tata and Mahindra? ..they are here because they are protected by indian import laws.

Ask yourself this would you buy the Safari over the Fortuner (which will be expensive due to the Tax structure) if they were in the same price range?

i tried my level best to dissuade an associate from buying a Safari 2.2 Dicor but he was so taken in by its presence that he insisted and went ahead with the purchase.

His Safari is barely 5 months old and felt like a decade old when i drove it a week ago! He was quite sad..but i was so angry i told him, "serves you right!"

Next time ill just direct people to this Thread.

A full page article in Autocar about not only Tanveers problem but the general lack of "Quality" in Indian Manufacturers would be a slap in the face for the Indian Automotive Industry..and maybe that is just what they deserve!
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:11   #774
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
A full page article in Autocar about not only Tanveers problem but the general lack of "Quality" in Indian Manufacturers would be a slap in the face for the Indian Automotive Industry..and maybe that is just what they deserve!
Again, why not tbhp itself and not run crying help to the car magazines.

Quote:
adc you are looking at the wrong pipe.
Thats the overflow pipe, so that if you put excess coolant it overflows
Look at the other side buddy, towards the ECU. this pipe goes from radiator cap to the base of the coolant tank
Very sorry, sure I clicked the wrong pipe - the moment I posted realized, ran down again to the garage, work be damned now.

Here are fresh pictures - what the ?????. It has come out the clip, dont know when, but isnt the pipe too short to obstruct flow - whatever this has to be brought to TMs notice. Bet all 2.2s pipe is out of clip, there is no way that plastic can hold on to the pipe
Attached Thumbnails
Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0466ee.jpg  

Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0467ee.jpg  

Last edited by adc : 17th March 2009 at 14:28.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:16   #775
Team-BHP Support

LOL adc, disaster waiting to happen. See your pipe has come out of the clip. Fix it back, better still get it inspected, otherwise you will soon be in my state too!
Old 17th March 2009, 14:21   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL adc, disaster waiting to happen. See your pipe has come out of the clip. Fix it back, better still get it inspected, otherwise you will soon be in my state too!
From the looks of it, his pipe has been "out" of the clamp for quite a while - and doesn't show any signs of bending whatsoever.

Just out of curiosity, did they say that the heat from the engine caused it to bend? Or was it direct contact with something? This kind of pipe would normally resist high temperatures for thousands of Kms unless it was in direct contact with, say, the manifold or something (unlikely in your case).
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:25   #777
Team-BHP Support

Its pure luck suman. Once it comes out of clamp, it can go anywhere. I touched the pipe and its flimsy. The quality is very very poor. you don't carry hot coolant in such flimsy rubber, period
Old 17th March 2009, 14:43   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From the looks of it, his pipe has been "out" of the clamp for quite a while - and doesn't show any signs of bending whatsoever.

Just out of curiosity, did they say that the heat from the engine caused it to bend? Or was it direct contact with something? This kind of pipe would normally resist high temperatures for thousands of Kms unless it was in direct contact with, say, the manifold or something (unlikely in your case).
ADCs pictures are better than Tanveer's. (I fact Tanveer's picture makes his engine look older and more worn )

While i have never really noticed this pipe, I am of the opinion that either a too-short or a too-long pipe may result in a bend. BUT then the supplier of this pipe would not have supplied either (too-short or too-long pipe). In fact I also feel that that if the pipe is routed thro the "clip" then a bend is possible at the bottom end of the pipe.

Last edited by kingshukt : 17th March 2009 at 14:44.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:46   #779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Its pure luck suman. Once it comes out of clamp, it can go anywhere. I touched the pipe and its flimsy. The quality is very very poor. you don't carry hot coolant in such flimsy rubber, period
LOL i was about to type that clip is already out!

Seems like the tube is not that thick, and when it heats up it becomes soft, add this with some vacuum in the degasing tank and it will be squeezed out of shape.

This is a very easy fix for tata, get good quality thick pipe and secure it with a decent clamp.

EDIT: Also there seems to be a design flaw in the system, IIRC i read it one of Behram's post that degassing tank has to be higher than radiator??

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th March 2009 at 14:48.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 14:51   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Here are fresh pictures - what the ?????. It has come out the clip, dont know when, but isnt the pipe too short to obstruct flow - whatever this has to be brought to TMs notice. Bet all 2.2s pipe is out of clip, there is no way that plastic can hold on to the pipe
I refuse to believe that this pipe can bend to such an extent to cause a blockage without any manual forces and just by the vibration of the engine.

To test try bending the green gas pipe in your kitchen and experience how much of force and deviation is required to stop flow of gas.

It will not block even if you shake the pipe vigrously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
In fact I also feel that that if the pipe is routed thro the "clip" then a bend is possible at the bottom end of the pipe.
Very true, thats the only way it can bend from the neck of the connector at bottom. But tanveers pipe was out of the clamp.

Last edited by dadu : 17th March 2009 at 14:54.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote