Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th March 2009, 15:55   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
tsk1979 : The pipe is long enough to touch the radiator. And its not hard like your gas pipe, its like the pipe with which you water your garden(the soft type)
May be when pulled, by hand. Not on it's own, including movement induced by vibrations.

The pipe may not be hard - it is only flexible. But still has a certain shape that it will retain. It will not go gyrating in different directions, will it ?

Last edited by condor : 17th March 2009 at 15:59.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:01   #797
Team-BHP Support

Look, I am not that crazy that I would open the bonnet at 10000 feet above MSL and pull pipes to cause a breakdown.
And I am sure nobody else was opening the bonnet there.
I drove 600+ kms from plains to 10000 feet without any issues.
then I drove 50kms again, first down to 1700mts, and then upto 3500mts.
Somwhere during this drive I suspect the problem cropped up
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:09   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Look, I am not that crazy that I would open the bonnet at 10000 feet above MSL and pull pipes to cause a breakdown.
And I am sure nobody else was opening the bonnet there.
I drove 600+ kms from plains to 10000 feet without any issues.
then I drove 50kms again, first down to 1700mts, and then upto 3500mts.
Somwhere during this drive I suspect the problem cropped up
Hey cool it man. Nobody is insinuating anything. All of us are just trying to simulate the problem and the PROBABLE reasons behind it. Thats all.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:10   #799
Team-BHP Support

This happens on BMW's as well.

Radiator hose disconnected. Car left me stranded. Check your hoses!!! (long post) - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Tanveer, they mention bleeding the coolant system. Please check if you need it done.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:22   #800
Team-BHP Support

In my case the entire coolant will be changed, and Radiator etc., will be checked.
I spoke to the assistant works manager of autolinks.
They are sending somebody to pick my vehicle from home.
He was wondering if pipe is bent what happened to the coolant which was already there in the radiator. That should not evaporate so quickly.
Tomorrow they will check everything, esp the head etc., for any damage. Anything even slightly damaged or out of order will be replaced.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:28   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Anything even slightly damaged or out of order will be replaced.
Huh what about the whole truck??
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:29   #802
BHPian

Quote:
In my case the entire coolant will be changed, and Radiator etc., will be checked.
I spoke to the assistant works manager of autolinks.
They are sending somebody to pick my vehicle from home.
He was wondering if pipe is bent what happened to the coolant which was already there in the radiator. That should not evaporate so quickly.
Tomorrow they will check everything, esp the head etc., for any damage. Anything even slightly damaged or out of order will be replaced.
What about the whole truck? Did TATA guys you wrote to have any comment on that?
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:31   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Again, why not tbhp itself and not run crying help to the car magazines.
Don't want to flog a dead horse but the reason i said Autocar or any other magazine was that where almost every person who is on Team Bhp may be reading some Automotive magazine or the other, all magazine readers are not necessarily on T-bhp.

Im not trying to say that our views are any less important or lack credibility but a senior and respected automotive journalist covering this story of the lack of real Quality in Indian Automotive Sector may hold more weight.
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:32   #804
Team-BHP Support

Tata are extremely thick skinned people. For example somebody we know had a timing belt failure after 6000kms, lot of stuff got damaged. They replaced all damaged parts, but did not give a new engine.
So while I'm pushing for a new vehicle, I do not expect much from Tata. Right now the best I can expect is all problematic parts are replaced.
Once 4 years are over, and my loan is over and extended warranty is over, I sell this thing any buy something reliable and good quality.
Hopefully by then world economic situation will improve, and I will be able to afford something better like a Toyota or a Hyundai

But then my luck may turn out to be good, and the new parts may start functioning properly, and I may after all have a reliable vehicle after all this fiasco!
Old 17th March 2009, 16:35   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once 4 years are over, and my loan is over and extended warranty is over, I sell this thing any buy something reliable and good quality.
TEHO but to live 4 years with a vehicle that you don't consider reliable is like to me.

Wouldn't it be better to sell now, cut your losses & choose a better option??

Last edited by suman : 17th March 2009 at 16:37.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 16:55   #806
Team-BHP Support

If she goes to Leh without any problem I won't sell her
Otherwise I will drive to Pune myself and drop it on their heads along with a court case
Old 17th March 2009, 17:18   #807
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
If she goes to Leh without any problem I won't sell her
Otherwise I will drive to Pune myself and drop it on their heads along with a court case
you are going to drive to Leh in this??! must say you are a brave man tanveer.

Ill follow you in my Qualis with a tow rope and camping equipment if you you dont mind..

just kidding..wish you the best of luck!
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 17:58   #808
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, its the flimsiest piece of engineering I have seen. This pipe is the only link from coolant tank to radiator, and its low quality plastic and even the clip is low quality.

What sort of silly R&D engineer designed this piece of junk!
Well had a break in work since posting those images, so went for a better investigation - this my take and I could be wrong or right whatever.

1. The pipe is not that kind of thin pipe that you would use in the garden - that I am sure of, any one can check that. Well after squeezing the pipe, it feels like it does its job, no issues at least for me with that.

2. The clip is not flimsy - let all 2.2 owners check that. It is a very hard kind of plastic and when fixed properly with force, one can see from the images that in fact it pinches on the pipe. Will it hold if fixed properly - dont know but also it wont come out easily.

Well, for me, when did that pipe come out - dont know - had gone through quite a few bone jarring rides and will go next week again, but if fixed like now it should not come out. The clip is tough, it has indent, and it holds on to the pipe - whether adequately or not - dont know, will find out in the next week remote travel.

3. The pipe, even if loose, dont see how it can touch any hot object or any pipe nearby. All the nearby pipes are rubber hosed. And I pulled it and does not look like it reaches any hot area, no way the radiator.

Anyway, looks like a very freak but real accident and caused a major shutdown. Well, even if it is hard for others, objectively it should be seen in isolation to your main problem if that has not been solved still now - which I gather has already been certified okay to your satisfaction.

Again no way this post conveys doubt to your issue - sure this thing should be looked into further by TM
Attached Thumbnails
Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0468ee.jpg  

Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0469ee.jpg  

Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0472ee.jpg  

Safari EX 4x4 120000kms update-img_0474ee.jpg  

Last edited by adc : 17th March 2009 at 18:02.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:04   #809
Senior - BHPian

Like I said earlier the clip has been positioned in the wrong place. Look at the way it is squeezing the pipe in the last picture.
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 18:06   #810
Team-BHP Support

Try pinching the tube when the engine/coolant is lil warm, then you can determine if the tube is really upto it or not. If its soft then, it can be a cause of concern and the tube might not be the ideal for a coolant circuit. Careful and dont burn your hands.

Clip also seem oddly placed, vibration from engine can surely dislodge it (at least seems like), for egs the engine shunt while start and stop??
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote