Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th April 2009, 09:05   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

PS: Rs 18000 only for the air mass sensor.
Are you sure they replaced the sensor with a NEW one or just cleaned it and put it back while charging you a bomb for it ?
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 09:22   #1007
Senior - BHPian

System D reduces the roughness on my TCIC indica, but these days I have my doubts if its robbing performance a bit. FE never was a strong point , and i dont intend to measure it. Jk, if you have given away the bottle of system D that you had , ping me. Can lend you mine for the trial
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 09:40   #1008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Are you sure they replaced the sensor with a NEW one or just cleaned it and put it back while charging you a bomb for it ?
Guess its for the Skoda and hence hope they had put in a new one !
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:16   #1009
Team-BHP Support

Looks like old troubles are coming back.
Yesterday on a smooth road at 90kmph I was forced to hit the brakes due to a cyclist crossing the road without looking.
The rear went towards the left as the rear wheels locked up and by the time I stopped she was perpendicular to the road
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:35   #1010
Senior - BHPian

When I started reading, I thought it was the return of the C.E.L. god knows which is worse
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2009, 12:42   #1011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yesterday on a smooth road at 90kmph I was forced to hit the brakes due to a cyclist crossing the road without looking.
The rear went towards the left as the rear wheels locked up and by the time I stopped she was perpendicular to the road
I'm quite intrigued by this problem that you have faced on multiple occasions. Tell me, do you give any steering inputs at all? Or do you just brake hard & let go of the steering. I mean - if you're braking hard & the back is stepping out of line, surely some inputs on the steering would help?

Then again, if you're just trying to see how far the back steps out, I'd say its a potentially dangerous experiment.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 02:04   #1012
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the front and rear wheels were perfectly aligned in straight line, if not, typically in panic braking, this can happen. Try this if you can manage in a straight, lone stretch, when you are cruising at absolute straight line.. but you may like to keep it within 80 for safety?
Shyamtanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 03:47   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
They did as they didn't have it in stock & we had to pay Rs: 5000/- as advance, as well as wait for about 3 weeks! as it comes from abroad!
Also not only did the surging but overall performance & efficiency improved as well.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 08:01   #1014
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I'm quite intrigued by this problem that you have faced on multiple occasions. Tell me, do you give any steering inputs at all? Or do you just brake hard & let go of the steering. I mean - if you're braking hard & the back is stepping out of line, surely some inputs on the steering would help?

Then again, if you're just trying to see how far the back steps out, I'd say its a potentially dangerous experiment.
I was cruising in a straight line, when the cyclist came I slammed the brakes hard. Not step on them hard, but hard.
The tail started stepping out.

I gave opposite lock also and it somewhat controlled the skid, but still the car went sideways quite a bit.
Its not as bad as it used to be. Earlier it would skid sideways totally and I would end up facing the direction I came from if I did not leave the brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Are you sure the front and rear wheels were perfectly aligned in straight line, if not, typically in panic braking, this can happen. Try this if you can manage in a straight, lone stretch, when you are cruising at absolute straight line.. but you may like to keep it within 80 for safety?
Yup, I will do some more experiments.
But you know what, every time this has happened, the car has skidded in a way that the front turns towards right, and rear goes towards left.
If it had to do something with driving direction I would have seen skids both ways, left and right

Our 3.0 safari back home had this problem, and one visit to service center rectified it. Only some adjustment was done.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:16   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just yesterday afternoon I stood on the brakes at 120kph to avoid flying over a huge hard speedbreaker. Noticed it at the last second. Although my wheel alignment is out of tune and is due anyday now, the Safari tracked straight. However, I do make sure to avoid steering input while braking, just making sure the steering is straight.
Somehow, I have not heard of such a thing happening on any other Safari and it does sound strange that this problem is re occuring so soon after TASS intervention.
I really hope its sorted out soon.
Cheers,
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 16th April 2009 at 08:21.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 08:24   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Its actually happening 7000kms after it got fixed.
The 15K service will happen next weekend, This is one more item on the list!
Old 16th April 2009, 09:06   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever you go back to TASS just have them check the brake bias also.

Non uniform application of brake pad pressure on the drum / brake disc between front and rear brakes can also result in what you have described.

EDIT: Does the Ex 4*4 come with ABS ?
Also see this in Wikipedia : Fishtailing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by kingshukt : 16th April 2009 at 09:13.
kingshukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 11:33   #1018
Team-BHP Support

Nope, there is no ABS. So the wheels will lock when I hit brakes hard.
I think there is some problem with brake bias adjustment mechanism.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:24   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Default Engine Surging

TSK,

My car is showing signs of the Engine surging on cold start. Have observed it in the last 2-3 days. Has this got something to do with the injectors change ?
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 22:56   #1020
Team-BHP Support

No idea. In my case it was there even before the service light started showing up.
Take a video on your mobile phone to show TML guys when you take her out to service.
10K kms after this started happening, I have observed no apparent side effects to this problem.
I don't know whether its fixable.
I have stopped worrying about it.