Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th July 2009, 14:20   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Hi akas, we discussed this before.

Legal recourse is still too complicated in India. Further, not much can be done if the company & dealership are taking care of the issues under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
@tsk
Why do not you lodge a complaint in consumer court. No doubt you were delivered a defective Piece. This vehicle costs you your hard earned money and piece of mind.

Whatever feel good factor i had about safari all gone after going through this thread.
Hope either your car's problem got resolved( which does not seem like) or you get a replacement.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 22:58   #1157
Team-BHP Support

Default The Tamasha starts again

Watch this for yourself
Taken today evening engine temp near center.

tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 23:52   #1158
BANNED

I think its about time you updated the topic heading to "Safari EX 4X4, a terminally ill white elephant"!
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 07:14   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Tanweer, if I may make a suggestion just forget about this and accept it. Don't bother to spend any more time on trying to fix this. For the most part it shouldn't affect your driving so just enjoy the other parts of the vehicle. Safari's are generally meant to flogged for about 100K kms and then sold. It's not something you keep for long anyways. Hopefully in a year or two there will be better options including the latest SUVs from Mahindra and Tata.
4x4addict is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 10:55   #1160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today I got her back,
There were 2 job cards. one opened last thursday, and other one this tuesday.
For the service light 4 HP lines were changed.
Delphi people changed the injectors(not in system since delphi directly changed that)

For erratic idle, the problem was solved by replacing a 24 rupees washer(not under warranty)
A case of dug a mountain found a female mouse.

So after a week, and expense of 24rs from my side, fluctuating rpm on cold start problem has been solved, hopefully once and for all!
I have a 2.2 Safari LX which has done around 25k KM. I am noticing an issue recently that when i am accelerating v gradually, then around speed of 80 and 2k RPM there starts a minor jerking of the car and speed/RPM starts fluctuating. I like the idea of catching that on mobile video, and would do that. Can u let me know which washer u got changed? i will have checked that on my safari.. I have started reading your thread backwards to understand how much woes and joys are shared by a fellow safari owner.. Thanks for all the details posted, i was missing such a thread. Feels good to be on Team BHP
ankur_gupta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 12:18   #1161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Tanweer, if I may make a suggestion just forget about this and accept it. Don't bother to spend any more time on trying to fix this. For the most part it shouldn't affect your driving so just enjoy the other parts of the vehicle. Safari's are generally meant to flogged for about 100K kms and then sold. It's not something you keep for long anyways. Hopefully in a year or two there will be better options including the latest SUVs from Mahindra and Tata.
This problem does not bother me at all, what troubles me that what if its a precurser to some major problem. Thats why I want to get to the root cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I have a 2.2 Safari LX which has done around 25k KM. I am noticing an issue recently that when i am accelerating v gradually, then around speed of 80 and 2k RPM there starts a minor jerking of the car and speed/RPM starts fluctuating. I like the idea of catching that on mobile video, and would do that. Can u let me know which washer u got changed? i will have checked that on my safari.. I have started reading your thread backwards to understand how much woes and joys are shared by a fellow safari owner.. Thanks for all the details posted, i was missing such a thread. Feels good to be on Team BHP
It was some washer sitting at the injector seat.
however in your case I think the issue is different. So you are saying that when you cruise at 80kmph with constant throttle input, the vehicle actually keeps missing. In that case it could be a problem with fuel delivery system.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:15   #1162
Team-BHP Support

Default One Year Done- Almost 20K

The ODO stands just shy of 20K mark as she does her one year.
Quite an eventful year I must say.
2 breakdowns, some scares, lots of circus and a perpetually erratic idle.

Tomorrow is her date with Maike Walahs, as they scratch their heads over the mystery of the erratic idle.
800-864rpm fluctuation happens almost all the time now. Nothing to do with cold or hot engine.
Usually it starts when you come to idle state after a 2000rpm+ run.
If idle is quiet, all you need to do is rev to 3000rpm+ and leave the accelerator in neutral.
Its starts grrr grrr grrr and does it for a few minutes and then quietens down.

Other things going slightly wrong are the first gear. It takes a lot of effort to slot into first.
And the power steering seems to be very tight. Driving on twisties is a pain. I never realized this till I drove another safari and found the steering to be much lighter.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:18   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the power steering seems to be very tight. Driving on twisties is a pain. I never realized this till I drove another safari and found the steering to be much lighter.
Centre Pin needs greasing.

Get that Gearbox thing checked out - shouldn't be happening.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:22   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Will be giving it at Sterling tomorrow. I think they will adjust something in the gears to make them more pliant or something, however the proper service will happen at Autolinks in September after I am back. (30K service)
Hopefully Noida-Delhi line will be running by then, and even if I have to leave car there overnight, coming back to Noida won't be a big pain.
The thing worrying me most is this erratic idle.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:34   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing worrying me most is this erratic idle.
I'd be bloody worried if it wasn't resolved before I headed out on a trip to Leh

You never know what the rarefied air may do in terms of aggravating it.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 14:30   #1166
Team-BHP Support

Default Finally are the troubles over?

Today morning 9:50am I gave the car to Sterling again. The same head tech took her in.
Changed washer back, and saw problem lessening.
However solution was elusive.
Then he changed the ECU..
The problem went away.
No erratic idle, no rough idle, and the engine sounds a lot smoother too.
So at almost 20,000kms, she has a new "Brain", and thankfully this fixed the problem.

Apart from that center pin greasing was done.
Total cost = 225rs
ECU changed under warranty.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:38   #1167
Senior - BHPian

congrats Tanveer that finally the erratic idle is gone and safari feels smoother.

but i would still ask you to keeo observing and trying to reproduce all the problems that you have had.

BTW can you confirm that the Old and New ECU were at the same firmware version ?

cheers
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 14:39   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Seems like there is a mass change of ECU in order.

Read that ECU change was done for two vehicle here at Bangalore, Concord.

So TATA, instead of doing a mass recall (something they obviously want to keep away from) and do the correction, as doing it as and when the vehicle comes for service or comes with an issue.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:03   #1169
Team-BHP Support

don't know how to check firmware, the warranty claim shows ECU replacement.
However what I find funny is that no other safari on this forum had this issue!
Old 28th July 2009, 15:03   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Respected Tanveer (for your patience with your car)

How long the std warranty last on a Safari? 18mths unlimited KMS?
Did you get the extended warranty?
Did you bother to check out the cost of the ECU had there been a OUTofWARR incident?
The 1 on my Indigo CS costs approx 18K from Delphi...!!! GOT it changed last month..!!

I have taken a 'SowGun' A.K.A OATH unto Myself - I am SURELY getting rid of my TATA product BEFORE the WARR+ExtWarr Expires...!!!

Considering your experience with a Better TATA product and this one - WILL you retain this car post Warr period???

------------------EDIT-----------------
Happywheels

+1, my ECU was changed by True Sai works, Hosur (@ Delphi Blore office)
-----------------------------------------

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th July 2009 at 15:05.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote