Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th July 2009, 15:08   #1171
Team-BHP Support

I have extended warranty, that gives me 4 years coverage, same as the Loan.
Cost of ECU is 20,000rs approx.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:09   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Considering your experience with a Better TATA product and this one - WILL you retain this car post Warr period???
I can answer that, just as well as many others can too!
Even those that had not intended to will get rid of their vehicles a good month or more before the warranty expires! That does not take much brain power to deduce!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:34   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Is the Safari not worth long term use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Even those that had not intended to will get rid of their vehicles a good month or more before the warranty expires! That does not take much brain power to deduce!
So is there a general agreement at TBHP that Safaris are not meant to be kept as cost effective long term vehicles, at least by common men like us??

Views and comments please.....
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:38   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have extended warranty, that gives me 4 years coverage, same as the Loan.
Cost of ECU is 20,000rs approx.
looks like the ECU's are the same or Very Minor differences with respect to differences in cost... of course their progamming is diff.

Quote:
Anup - i really miss my Alto, 5 years flew off like a dream and hardly changed anything in it. No warranty claims made in 5 years, ALL parts intact when I sold it off!

Last 1 year of a TATA had me on the edge always and every day is a new experience.
svsantosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:40   #1175
Senior - BHPian

well, I got rid of my safari within 2 years since the "niggles" were all adding to my headache and the biggest worry was lack of peace of mind. I still had two years left on the warranty. AND, I incurred a financial loss, but i figured that was worth it for the sake of my family'ssafety and my peace of mind.

In my sx4, i surely miss the commanding road presence and dont mess with me attitude of the safari, but in all other respects, so far, i am happy with my decision. Hope I am not made to regret my words . During recent rains, I had two occassions where I had to apply emergency brakes and that is when i realised the value of ABS. I shudder to think what would have happened in the Safari, since that truck was prone to lock up and fishtail at the slightest hint of hard braking

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 28th July 2009 at 15:42.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:41   #1176
BANNED

Quote:
Anupji might be people like you might do it and there are many who are using the vehicle even after running for a longtime after the expiry of warranty.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 15:52   #1177
Team-BHP Support

If somebody's safari is performing fine in warranty period, then no need to sell at warranty.
However if lots of part replcements are happening, its best to get rid of the vehicle before warranty expires.
Mine is just a year old.
If the next 3 years are peaceful with only niggles I will keep my white elephant for longer term, just like my indica which is now 7 years + and 110,000kms
Old 28th July 2009, 15:56   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However what I find funny is that no other safari on this forum had this issue!
Tanveer, don't lose any sleep over it - your steed has gone through a lot of stuff that no other Safari has faced. I hope the ECU resolves the issue (somehow, I wasn't convinced about the washer the last time around).
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So is there a general agreement at TBHP that Safaris are not meant to be kept as cost effective long term vehicles, at least by common men like us??
There is no such "general" agreement to the best of my knowledge, but yes, the extended warranty is a must.

I do not wish to hijack Tanveer's thread but I must mention here that for all the hype about QC in "other" SUV manufacturers stables, I'm noticing (with interest I may add) these days that a fair amount of "niggles" are cropping up (Turbo charger failing, clutch replacement, gear box issues etc) in their product as well. Maybe the disease is contagious. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
during recent rains, I had two occassions where I had to apply emergency brakes and that is when i realised the value of ABS. I shudder to think what would have happened in the Safari, since that truck was prone to lock up and fishtail at the slightest hint of hard braking
Well, Himanshu, the answer is "Nothing would have happened" if it was a Safari VX or GX (ABS versions). Conversely, if you were driving the non-ABS version of the SX4 (the VXI), who knows, maybe you'd have skidded?

Last edited by suman : 28th July 2009 at 16:09.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:07   #1179
Team-BHP Support

As for other SUV manufacturers, I feel unless you are buying Toyota/Suzuki, you will not have a total niggle free ownership. Even with a scorpio you can have breakdown on the Leh manali highway, so its all luck! My white elephant has not been that lucky, but usually for 6 months after a major replacement she behaves. So hopefully it will be all nice and rosy on the Leh trip
Old 28th July 2009, 16:50   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a Tatamobile 207 double cab pick up that has clocked about 179K kms. For the most part there has been no breakdowns but I have also dealt with numerous niggles/annoyances. However back in the day the vehicles were very basic and old technology, so it was much easier to diagnose and fix issues.

However, the VVTI engine is a complicated beast with numerous sensors and a microprocessor. The so called *niggles* that Tata owners are used to in earlier models are not the same with a computer controlled engine. Diagnosis becomes harder as the error codes maynot always pin point the source of the problem.

My take on it is that Tatas were fine with their older older mechanical IDI deisel engines. Even with poor QC, you just swapped out whatever broke and it was cheap to fix. This is not the case with the newer engines, unless Tata's put some effort into quality control with their vendors and within their factory, they are bound to loose market share.

The main reason that many on this forum have bought a Safari is because in the price range the only competition is the Scorpio. Eventually as the duty structure gets rationalized or when foreign manufacturers start local production, Tata will loose out big time.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 16:52   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

I can buy the extended warranty later right? I mean, when its almost 2years?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:12   #1182
Senior - BHPian

TSK,

I hope the next three years are not what the first one was. Since you literally have a new vehicle, I reckon all should be good, going forward.

And I am sure, for what its worth, you might have given enough weak points for the TATA engineers to work & improve upon (hope they do that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...Eventually as the duty structure gets rationalized or when foreign manufacturers start local production, Tata will loose out big time.
Possible that TATA might lose out, but then again, the price is a big factor. Yes, the plastics are not worthy of the price, but when I want a 4x4 to beat the dirt and also want to use as a daily drive and in which we do not get motion sickness, I do not think we have much choice.

But yes, the sensor and all the "electronics" are becoming a Achilles heel for TATA. They better put their act together, and fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yes, similar to what is offered by multiple manufacturers, the extended warranty can be brought as long as the vehicle is under the primary warranty.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:20   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Eventually as the duty structure gets rationalized or when foreign manufacturers start local production, Tata will loose out big time.
I wonder when that will happen. We thought the Fortuner was going to show the way but .....20+ on road!!!! So, as HW says, at this price, there is no competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yes, but will cost you more than what you'd pay upfront with the vehicle.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:30   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation One Big One

Ok, this is turning out to be cool, just one small question to all you big Safari gurus at TBHP out there, and I would really appreciate an answer.

I know my small bit about the the Safari and am ready to buy it now as it suits me....BUT......
If I am looking at a long term car to whose niggles I can adjust while it is new but expect a peaceful ownership experience in the long run (I intend to keep it for at least 7 years), would you recommend a Safari?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 17:41   #1185
Senior - BHPian

if you really really need peace of mind, and a safari, I wonder if the TCIC safari will do, maybe even a second hand one.

The TCIC engine has a lot less bells and whistles which could go wrong. I think there are several here on this forum itself.

Boy am I glad I bought a TCIC indica and not the DICOR ( which i kinda regretted then )
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote