Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 10th November 2009, 13:29   #1351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
It is the last visit alone that has pushed up the cost by 12 paise a km - if you take that one out (as I mentioned on my thread, I think they may have ripped you off, I don't think Autolinks would have charged you 3.5k for this work), its 48 paise per km.

Given a vehicle of these proportions, what kind of per km cost did you have in mind?
When Anti roll bar bushes were changed(15000kms), it was chargeable, but due to my mails to customer care, they waived it off(200rs approx)
But I think, labor charges at autolinks would have been less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
anything around 50 Paise/Km, is good for deisel SUV, my SX4 is currently running on around 40 Paise/Km, so I don't thing its doing that bad
I was execting around 30p/km for first 30,000kms and around 50p/km for future
This 60p/km has been in the first 30,000kms, which is the shocking part.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 13:41   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, really sad to read what you have going through with your white elephant.

But I feel maintenance even at 48p/Km it is high. If I take out the Ladakh preparation expenses, mine comes to 38p/Km.

BTW won't all this frequent visits to TASS/TASC have an adverse effect on your resale value if the next prospective owner wants to check its service history
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 13:47   #1353
BHPian

@tsk :tanveer if you are interested in taking up the matter with TML then plz. pm me.

Shantanu
sbhaduri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:04   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Do all the vehicles from TML yard have these problems or is it only one or two vehicles. In my view on the day you decide to buy a vehicle and if you are running short of luck then the vehicle that is in your name in the production line will go for a toss. The QA person will either be sleeping or will not inspect the vehicle itself and the same vehicle will come to you. Then the music/story starts. This is what has happened to tsk1979 also. There are many happy Safari owners but even they are also having small niggles and problems.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:42   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Do all the vehicles from TML yard have these problems or is it only one or two vehicles.........
There are many happy Safari owners but even they are also having small niggles and problems.
As an outsider/non-owner, your question is very valid. There seem to be enough lemons to keep most enthusiasts at bay!

As for happy Safari owners, amongst the ones I always read were adc and jaysmokesleaves. Alas, one is down at the moment.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 14:54   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
As an outsider/non-owner, your question is very valid. There seem to be enough lemons to keep most enthusiasts at bay!

As for happy Safari owners, amongst the ones I always read were adc and jaysmokesleaves. Alas, one is down at the moment.
Anup,
The reason why i was asking was I have a plan to buy a SUV/SX4/verna. But I am aligned to Safari. I have read all the posts of adc/tsk1979 and many other Safari owners. So i was little apprehend to know what the problem they were facing and how they are getting it solved and making myself strong in those aspects so as to finalize my buy
Old 10th November 2009, 15:45   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But I feel maintenance even at 48p/Km it is high. If I take out the Ladakh preparation expenses, mine comes to 38p/Km.
Yes, but if you add on another Service cost to yours (perhaps 2 by the time you get to 30k kms?), it would go beyond 48p wouldn't it?

Quote:
Oh there are quite a few others around as well.....if you do look around & get down to reading their ownership threads that is

PS: Perhaps you were only looking at your immediate circle of acquaintances, in which case my apologies
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 15:58   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anup,
The reason why i was asking was I have a plan to buy a SUV/SX4/verna. But I am aligned to Safari. I have read all the posts of adc/tsk1979 and many other Safari owners. So i was little apprehend to know what the problem they were facing and how they are getting it solved and making myself strong in those aspects so as to finalize my buy
Shishir, you need to first ascertain why you need an SUV as the cars in your list are from different segments all together.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 16:07   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Shishir, you need to first ascertain why you need an SUV as the cars in your list are from different segments all together.
Frankly speaking i like SUV's(Safari/Scorpio) for highway riding and long drives and many other related benefits which it has. But sometimes i feel SX4/verna is also enough for the above said things. But the road presence is an important thing which will not be there in SX4/Verna. So i am fully confused on these and more so with all the post on SUV's.
Old 10th November 2009, 17:28   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..., amongst the ones I always read were adc and jaysmokesleaves. .....
Quote:
Oh there are quite a few others around as well.....if you do look around & get down to reading their ownership threads that is
And if you would please care to re-read what I had posted....
LOL...... it's something like: "The evil that men do lives after them,
The good is oft interred with their bones"
!

Sorry I forgot to mention your beautiful travelogues. I've read each one.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:38   #1361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...if you do look around & get down to reading their ownership threads
OT: don't worry, suman, Mathur-saab even missed an mHawk 4WD thread for 3 weeks, till last night.

@ anupmathur: suman's feeling left out!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 17:49   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
sometimes i feel SX4/verna is also enough for the above said things
SX4/Verna will not forgive bad (off) roads, while, a safari/scorp will be more forgiving on such a terrain. Sx4/Verna would probably not cause as much headache while other two SUVs will be gentle on your posterior. You need to take a call, which one is better- headache or an aching ar** . Not to forget, you could fill 6/7 persons easily in a Safari/Scorp, if needed.

Take test rides on varying terrains with 4/5 adults and then decide. In my pursuit, Safari won over Corolla... well, I am partial to heart when I have to decide for big things in life

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 10th November 2009 at 17:51.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 22:07   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

@shishir_bn:

As long as there is traction with two wheels and additional ground clearance is not required cars can do this but car suspensions are generally meant for use on tarred roads and won't take repeated off-road abuse without costly repairs to the suspension and steering components. Not to mention low ground clearance when a protruding rock can break your steering linkages or puncture the oil sump.

I suspect this maybe the reason why military and UN vehicles etc are 4x4 vehicles with high ground clearance and not SX4s and Verna's.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 07:31   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to 4x4. Figure out what you want to do before buying an SUV for cosmetic reasons.

@Suman/Shishir - Anup ji's choice of words was off. The appropriate word wasn't happy owners but more like fill it-shut it-forget it ownership. Most safari ownership threads have enough talk of parts replacement and multiple TASS visits so the peace of mind can NEVER be compared with the ultra reliable SX4/Verna.

And must I point out - there's got to be a reason the hill drivers (himachal interiors, uttarakhand, UP terai and sikkim) I've seen just LOVE Mahindra. For sure they don't read team-bhp but they vote with where they deploy their limited resources!!

PS: As for myself, the Swift's asked for zilch except the regular wheel alignment and services. I am personally happy that I didn't go the SUV way though the car's seen as much hills as most SUV owners will!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 09:34   #1365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Most safari ownership threads have enough talk of parts replacement and multiple TASS visits so the peace of mind...
Most safari owners have another four-wheeled transport like fiesta, santro, indica or wagon-r in his/her garage to mitigate single point of failure .

However, I think parts replacement is also due to generous warranty policy of Tata. TASS don't fix- they just replace. Probably, that's the business for the whole supply chain- TASS returns to TML, latter returns to component supplier etc.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote