Team-BHP - My feedback on shifting to a Palio1.6 from an Indica TDI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   My feedback on shifting to a Palio1.6 from an Indica TDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/44503-my-feedback-shifting-palio1-6-indica-tdi.html)

I took delivery of my Palio 1.6 sport on the 19th of July and handed over my Indica TDI to my wife. It's been about a month now and a 1000kms have been clocked.
Previously I have owned three Tata Indica's (2003, 2004 and 2006 TDI models) I have also driven a Palio 1.2 off and on. This belonged to my brother-in-law.

The idea of this thread germinated after I had to exchange cars with my wife for a day to attend to a suspected puncture on her car.

I would like to put forth some observations about the two cars. Please note that these are my personal views and ownership experience may differ for others :
  1. Visibility: The overall sitting position of the Indica offers a better all-round visibility.
  2. ORVM's: The Indica's mirrors are larger and offer a much better view of what's happening behind.
  3. Dashboard: Indica has a very usable flat dashboard - especially when used with an anti-slip mat.
  4. Doors: Palio takes the cake here. They stay open where they are supposed to and close with a reassuring thunk that feels way above its segment.
  5. Intermittent wiper speed: The Indica offers 5 different speed settings v/s the one for Palio. I really miss this feature.
  6. Under-steering storage: A feature in the Indica that is superb. Great place to put the ICE panel or other odds and ends.
  7. Courtesy light: The Indica has a courtesy cabin light with a 30 second timer. It has some intelligent features. If you get in the car and turn on the ignition before the 30 seconds have lapsed, the light would go off. When you get out of the car and close the doors the lights would stay on till you use the key to lock the door (the car comes with OE manual central locking) The Palio just has a simple 30 second timer. Additionally the Indica's courtesy light works with all four doors v/s only the front two doors for the Palio.
  8. Boot light: The Indica offers a hatch activated light in the boot. No such feature in the Palio.
  9. AC vent location: Cold air as per basic physics descends. The higher location of AC vents in the Indica cool the car quickly and uniformly.
  10. Switch quality: Palio wins this one with better tactile feedback for most switches than the Indica.
  11. Rear leg space/Boot space: Indica/Palio - self explanatory
  12. Music system wiring: When you switch off the Palio's engine at a red light, the music system also switches off. In an Indica, the music stays on till you pull the key out of the ignition. This is a huge irritant not to say a factor likely to affect the disc loading mechanism of my Pioneer.
  13. Brakes: Indica does not offer assist as well as the Palio - but it brakes much better than the Palio (I've had one scare so far)
  14. Engine and gearbox: The Palio is far more refined - no contest here.
  15. Ride quality: Palio all the way!
These were some observations which can be compared.

Some other observations:
My driving has become a bit sedate - partly because of the running-in period and partly because of points 1 and 2 stated above. The 1.6 is not a slouch by any means - but as it was in the running in period, I was missing the 2000RPM kick of the TDI.
I think points 1 and 2 is what makes Indicab drivers so cocky and cheeky.

I have come across a lot of Indica bashing on this forum - mainly related to lack of refinement/rubbery gears/taxi image/lack of reliability.
I agree with the first two. The third point has been discussed elsewhere. WRT the last one - I've never been let down. Ever. I've been told I'm lucky.lol:

Having said this, I am enjoying the refinement of a petrol after a long time! (my first car was a M800)

What was your experience when you changed your car?

good point on the orvms, i too felt that it could be better and has blind spots

and welcome to the world of mushy palio brakes :D take lots of time to make sure you get to grips with them. one of the biggest weak points with the car imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_711 (Post 949217)
Visibility: The overall sitting position of the Indica offers a better all-round visibility.
  1. ORVM's: The Indica's mirrors are larger and offer a much better view of what's happening behind.
  2. Dashboard: Indica has a very usable flat dashboard - especially when used with an anti-slip mat.
  3. Doors: Palio takes the cake here. They stay open where they are supposed to and close with a reassuring thunk that feels way above its segment.
  4. Intermittent wiper speed: The Indica offers 5 different speed settings v/s the one for Palio. I really miss this feature.
  5. Under-steering storage: A feature in the Indica that is superb. Great place to put the ICE panel or other odds and ends.
  6. Courtesy light: The Indica has a courtesy cabin light with a 30 second timer. It has some intelligent features. If you get in the car and turn on the ignition before the 30 seconds have lapsed, the light would go off. When you get out of the car and close the doors the lights would stay on till you use the key to lock the door (the car comes with OE manual central locking) The Palio just has a simple 30 second timer. Additionally the Indica's courtesy light works with all four doors v/s only the front two doors for the Palio.
  7. Boot light: The Indica offers a hatch activated light in the boot. No such feature in the Palio.
  8. AC vent location: Cold air as per basic physics descends. The higher location of AC vents in the Indica cool the car quickly and uniformly.
  9. Switch quality: Palio wins this one with better tactile feedback for most switches than the Indica.
  10. Rear leg space/Boot space: Indica/Palio - self explanatory
  11. Music system wiring: When you switch off the Palio's engine at a red light, the music system also switches off. In an Indica, the music stays on till you pull the key out of the ignition. This is a huge irritant not to say a factor likely to affect the disc loading mechanism of my Pioneer.
  12. Brakes: Indica does not offer assist as well as the Palio - but it brakes much better than the Palio (I've had one scare so far)
  13. Engine and gearbox: The Palio is far more refined - no contest here.
  14. Ride quality: Palio all the way!

Honestly these are the kind a explanation that I get to hear from the car sales guys,

its like, Sir we are giving on idol free, nobody gives you.. sir we are giving car perfume free etc.

I've always wondered why FIAT persists with non-convex ORVMs. Even Maruti has graduated to convex mirrors on some of its products.

@viper.... I hate the middle AC vent position on the Indica. They blow the cool air right on your face even at their lowest position causing drowsiness and even discomfort at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pal-leo (Post 949229)
Honestly these are the kind a explanation that I get to hear from the car sales guys,

Honestly, I think you have not read/understood the 1st and last paragraphs. This is not sales talk - this is a users experience. You may differ in your experience but it's sad if this seems like sales talk to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 949230)
I've always wondered why FIAT persists with non-convex ORVMs. Even Maruti has graduated to convex mirrors on some of its products.

yeah exactly, my collegues ikon has them and visibility is a lot better

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 949244)
@viper.... I hate the middle AC vent position on the Indica. They blow the cool air right on your face even at their lowest position causing drowsiness and even discomfort at times.

You are probably right - my wife also feels so. I never felt that - I'm 6'2" and found the throw to be perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_711 (Post 949247)
Honestly, I think you have not read/understood the 1st and last paragraphs. This is not sales talk - this is a users experience. You may differ in your experience but it's sad if this seems like sales talk to you.

Gotcha bro, missed the first few lines..

the best think abt palio is yet to come. it is the driving exp... Sure you will enjoy :-)

Happy Palio'ing

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 949244)

But the direction of air throw (is that the right word?) can be changed, can it not? If the vents are pointed straight, how can they blow air right on your face? This would be the case with any car.

Edit: I read your reply below. In my car, the vents are flush with the dashboard (the air throw is at a ~45 degree angle) and the direction is straight. Please try this and see if it helps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 949262)
But the direction of air throw (is that the right word?) can be changed, can it not? If the vents are pointed straight, how can they blow air right on your face? This would be the case with any car.

The direction can be changed no problems but even at their lowest vertical position the air flow goes only as down as my face! I hope you got my point now.
Edit: I like having air direct to myself and in this respect I find the vents on my Palio to be just perfect.
I am 5'5" by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 949265)
The direction can be changed no problems but even at their lowest vertical position the air flow goes only as down as my face! I hope you got my point now.

If it's not too personal - how tall are you?

Viper, thanks for sharing the honest experience on both the cars.

i agree with you about the ORVMs dude.they are tooo small.iv fitted blind spot mirrors on the ORVMs of my petra and now the visibility is excellent!
iv owned an indica dls before and i feel that the AC of indica is a chiller compared to the palio
butttt,the palio is light years ahead when it comes to rideand handling,ergonomics,overall refinement and general feel of the car

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantyrocks (Post 949589)
i agree with you about the ORVMs dude.they are tooo small.iv fitted blind spot mirrors on the ORVMs of my petra and now the visibility is excellent!

What did you mean by blind spot mirrors on the ORVMs and how much they cost and how are they fitted?? Are they available on Service centres?

Regarding the basic user friendly features, i feel Indica wins over Palio...they have updated themselves as they launch new editions...wish Fiat learns from them :thumbs up

Cheers~
Rudrah