Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th August 2008, 10:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Toyota Innova V, 40,000 kms report:

hi friends, acquired this silver innova V in may 2006. till now, clocked only 40,000 kms. her i would like to share its experience:

+ fantastic cabin with top quality materials and adequate space even in the 3rd row for 6 footers like us.
+ excellents HVAC, chills to no extent!
+ very good ride and handling. bit i feel the ride would have improved with bigger tyres as these puny tyres tend to follow every small crater on road.
+ toyota service is the best i have experienced so far. good behaviour by the staff, they listen to our problems patiently, get the job done efficintly and on-time delivery.
+ standard ICE is very good enough.
+ gear shift long but precise.

- engine response and performance is not good. very jerky power delivery and noisy too. maybe because the other cars i drive is a scorpio mHAWK and safari VTT. not fun to drive.
- seat base makes noise and dashboard rattles inspite of the fact that it has never seen rough roads.
- average FE: 8 kmpl in city and 12 on the highways
- a glitch in toyota's service was when the car was to be washed after the 40,000 kms service, the pressure wash was done in such a way that it peeled off the side stripes/stickers of my car (which is a toyota product bought from the showroom itself) and also a part of my sun film! when asked about it, they said its ok, happens some times! BAD...

maintainence issues:
* windshield had a huge crack when the car was parked in the garage. nobody knows how. toyota replaced it under warranty even though out insurance was passed. good.
* accident work is expensive. a small dent in the boot door cost me 10,000 bugs. and a touch up job in the front bumper cost me 7000!
* front fog lamps stopped working.
* no others issues in my 2 years of pleasnt experience.

overall, i am very happy with this toyota product. cheers:
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 17:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Honest Review Raj, I do agree your most of the points. It sounds like you own Diesel Innova and I feel you should get more FE than you have mentioned at least 1 or 2 kmpl more. Anyway it depends on road/driving condition.

How is your tyre condition?

Fog lamp stopped working might be because of high speed water which they splashed and wire cut or connection broke.

I can see although they delay a bit work quality at toyota service centre is excellant.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 17:25   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- engine response and performance is not good. very jerky power delivery and noisy too. maybe because the other cars i drive is a scorpio mHAWK and safari VTT. not fun to drive.
Amazing isn't it, how Tata & Mahindra have upped the game with their responsive smooth 2.2 engines. I am sure Toyota has been watching and will come out with a more powerful refined diesel next time around. Still, the current engine does its job well and its robustness only adds to the Innova's penultimate standard of reliability. The average you are reporting is on the lower side. Bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions only? I have yet to see a diesel Innova giving < high 9's in the city, even in congested Mumbai. I agree on the high repair charges. My cousin's Innova suffered a crash that was really not all that bad. Bill amount = 2.25 lakh rupees.

Great report. Do keep updating as the kilometers add up.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 19:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Honest Review Raj, I do agree your most of the points. It sounds like you own Diesel Innova and I feel you should get more FE than you have mentioned at least 1 or 2 kmpl more. Anyway it depends on road/driving condition.

How is your tyre condition?

Fog lamp stopped working might be because of high speed water which they splashed and wire cut or connection broke.

I can see although they delay a bit work quality at toyota service centre is excellant.

Regards,

Ravi.
yes mate, i own a diesel innova. the roads i travel in is an incline with heavy traffic which comes to a standstill in peak hours! i rarely get to travel above 40 kmph in city. but on the same roads my mHawk & VTT gives 9-10, hence the comment. i am more suprised since the innova is more areodynamic and much lighter than the 2 SUVs.
the tyres are in very good condition. as i said, it has rarely seen rough roads. looks like it will go more 20 Ks.
i agree, the toyota quality of work is superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Amazing isn't it, how Tata & Mahindra have upped the game with their responsive smooth 2.2 engines. I am sure Toyota has been watching and will come out with a more powerful refined diesel next time around. Still, the current engine does its job well and its robustness only adds to the Innova's penultimate standard of reliability. The average you are reporting is on the lower side. Bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions only? I have yet to see a diesel Innova giving < high 9's in the city, even in congested Mumbai. I agree on the high repair charges. My cousin's Innova suffered a crash that was really not all that bad. Bill amount = 2.25 lakh rupees.

Great report. Do keep updating as the kilometers add up.
yes, only bumper to bumer traffic maybe the reason. it rarely ventures out of the city. BTW, the AC is 100% on and i use normal diesel and not the premium ones as toyota suggested.
Old 25th August 2008, 21:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

yes, only bumper to bumer traffic maybe the reason. it rarely ventures out of the city. BTW, the AC is 100% on and i use normal diesel and not the premium ones as toyota suggested.
mines in bumer to bumper traffic most of the day too and i get above 9. and when it sees open roads its ripped. and toyota dosent recommend premium diesel.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 22:00   #6
BANNED

Very good review Raj, you already mentioned about Innovas ride quality, I also own one & dont feel the ride to be comfortable, bumps & potholes are jarring inside. How do you compare ride quality of the 3 : Innova, Scorpio & Safari? Alright everyone knows Safaris is the best , but where does Innova stand.
Also as you own all 3, can you give comparitive fuel efficiency figures?
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 23:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
mines in bumer to bumper traffic most of the day too and i get above 9. and when it sees open roads its ripped. and toyota dosent recommend premium diesel.

confusion due to grammatic error!
i meant: " and i use normal diesel as toyota suggested and not the premium ones." good that you are getting 9 kmpl buddy, but i am consistently getting 8 kmpl from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Very good review Raj, you already mentioned about Innovas ride quality, I also own one & dont feel the ride to be comfortable, bumps & potholes are jarring inside. How do you compare ride quality of the 3 : Innova, Scorpio & Safari? Alright everyone knows Safaris is the best , but where does Innova stand.
Also as you own all 3, can you give comparitive fuel efficiency figures?
yes, it is not comfortable when compared to a sedan. but innova has a better ride quality then the scorpio. safari is the best in ride quality. but point to note here is that at low speeds, safari and scorpio is more comfortable. i meant that due to the huge tyres of the SUVs, it swallows most of the potholes and tend to pitch less. but innova does not have the bounciness of the SUVs at high speeds.
so in the overall analysis, safari comes first, innova is second and scorpio is third.

FE figures in kmpl: city/highway:

innova 2.5: 8/12
safari 2.2: 8.5/13
scorpio 2.2: 9.5/13
these are average figures.
Old 27th August 2008, 00:10   #8
BHPian

good points covered here and I completely agree with Raj here, on the other hand during wash if the fog lamp wire got disconnected, how did the technicians miss it during service, as they check working of all lights, very unlike toyota

Anupam
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 17:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

the front fog lamps dint stop during a wash, it stopped under normal driving situation. it was a loose connection, thats it.