Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th August 2010, 12:44   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vipul:
No idea about the "fixed tensioner"/"belt stretcher". There are four components of the system:

1. Timing pulley (located at the top of the cylinder head)
2. Idler bearning (Official name: "Belt take-up Tensioner") --> Get this changed
3. Crankshaft gear --> this is what drives the belt
4. Coolant pump pulley

Apart from the belt, you need to get Item #2 replaced. Nothing else.
This was also told by HyASC - I will re-check this point again with HyASC.

I have asked Vipul to share his comments / suggestions in this thread.

@ JVH - Hope you don't mind

Take care and drive safe.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 12:49   #167
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I don't mind my thread being a one stop shop for all the Palio owners

BTW, who/what is HyASC?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 13:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

HyASC = Hyundai Authorized Service Center.

I am talking about this HyASC

I have been going to them for the last one year and more.

Jayanth - glad that this thread adds value to all. cheers.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 09:48   #169
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Had been to the mechanic this Saturday to fix 2 issues

1) 1st Gear shudder
2) Front Suspension noise

1st Gear shudder

The mechanic was not available right away. Till he came, I asked the pappus to clean up the air-filter, enigne bay and the other areas inside the bonnet. Also got all the fluids topped-up. Went for a test drive after this and the pickup felt much smoother. Probably, the air filter was clogged. Mechanic came, went for the test drive and was still insisting that there was no shudder. Observed the clutch plates, they were fine. Dis-assembled the engine bed and then assembled it. 5 mins job. The shudder disappeared out of the blue. Issue 1 fixed

Front suspension noise

Opened the lower arm and the strut mount for closer examination. Ball joint of the lower arm was kaput. Strut mount was also kaput. Mechanic recommends to change. The Strut itself was alright. Have placed an order for the parts and will get it replaced as soon as the parts arrive. The suspension was stock and original for 85,000 kms. So, it did its job I must say. Also placed an order for Air intake hose.

In my next visit, I'll get the following things done
Suspension overhaul
Air intake hose replacement
Fix sump guard
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-ball-joint-lower-arm.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-ball-joint.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-strut-mount.jpg  

Old 30th August 2010, 16:02   #170
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke with the mechanic. The parts have been ordered. The lead time is 1 week. Will keep you guys updated on the prices.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:11   #171
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The parts arrived last week itself but couldn't get time to give the car for the job until this Wednesday. Mech promises to get the car ready by Saturday and keeps his word.

I had just told him to change the front struts and lower arms. In addition to that, he

replaced Wipers
added Engine sump guard
replaced Air intake hose

For all the above, I had mentioned to him that we can work on these slowly since the last 2 were of low priority. But he goes ahead arguing that I rarely keep the car with him, and he might as well get all the work done The total bill comes to around 20K including the labour. I have the split with me and will post later with pictures.

As usual, the job was neatly executed and as expected the palio was soaking up bad roads like nobody's business.

The only issue now remaining is the 1st Gear clutch release shudder.
Old 18th September 2010, 20:55   #172
Senior - BHPian

wow 20k hmmm am sure for some days you will look for al those pot holes: and drive safely hehehe

On the shudder i do het it at lower gears sometimes, infact before service it was pretty bad though i had not raised this isse it seems like it was taken acre and last 20kms dint find any shudder.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 21:02   #173
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
wow 20k hmmm am sure for some days you will look for al those pot holes: and drive safely hehehe
It was around 15K for the suspension job alone. The rest 5k were on the Sump guard, Wipers and Air intake hose which could have been avoided if he had postponed. The car is now gliding

Drive safe? Sure I will, I mean I have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
On the shudder i do het it at lower gears sometimes, infact before service it was pretty bad though i had not raised this isse it seems like it was taken acre and last 20kms dint find any shudder.
Hmmm I really don't know why this is occuring. Both Mech and I agreed that this has something to do with the clutch plates. I sure have to address it next time.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:47   #174
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to mention that the battery had completely drained. During the last few months, it was showing signs of weakening and I kept on postponing the replacement. The Mech had a spare DIN 50 battery and am using it at the moment until the replacement which should be next month itself.

The last 50 kms after the suspension job have been pure bliss. Not that I have deliberately taken them to bad roads and tested them, but on ORR where heavy construction is going on, and where you find some kaccha patches here and there, it performed really well. The steering too has become sharp, atleast thats the feeling I get and don't know if its really something to do with the job done.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:47   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I forgot to mention that the battery had completely drained. During the last few months, it was showing signs of weakening and I kept on postponing the replacement. The Mech had a spare DIN 50 battery and am using it at the moment until the replacement which should be next month itself.

The last 50 kms after the suspension job have been pure bliss. Not that I have deliberately taken them to bad roads and tested them, but on ORR where heavy construction is going on, and where you find some kaccha patches here and there, it performed really well. The steering too has become sharp, atleast thats the feeling I get and don't know if its really something to do with the job done.
Hi JVH,

need some clarification on a couple of things, one being, when i have the electricals on the car running, like the headlights and stereo and stuff, if i use the window switches, the lights dim out just a bit. i mean the lights on the instrument cluster, a/c console and stuff. does this indicate a battery drain or battery about to die?

also, my car seems to bottom out on the rear suspension quite easily now albeit when the ca is fully loaded. i havn't noticed any oil leaks on the suspension so know that they are not toast. any other indications that the suspension may need an overhaul or replacement?

Kiran.

PS> i dont have any trouble starting the car so have not checked the battery for faults yet. also, its a dry battery (maintainance free)

Last edited by lucifer919 : 21st September 2010 at 09:49.
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 10:00   #176
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post
when i have the electricals on the car running, like the headlights and stereo and stuff, if i use the window switches, the lights dim out just a bit. i mean the lights on the instrument cluster, a/c console and stuff. does this indicate a battery drain or battery about to die?
Sure sign of Battery about to die. Recharging will provide an interim solution like it did for me for the last few months. But be ready to shell out around 5k for the new battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer919 View Post

also, my car seems to bottom out on the rear suspension quite easily now albeit when the ca is fully loaded. i havn't noticed any oil leaks on the suspension so know that they are not toast. any other indications that the suspension may need an overhaul or replacement?
With full load (4 adults and some luggage) even my car bottoms out. We cannot pinpoint the suspension for that and I guess Palio's suspension is on the softer side.

To check the suspension, there is no other way except opening the tires and peeping underneath or ramping up on the jack and have a bottm view. You have to check the ball joints, bushings, strut mounts et al for inspection.

Hope this helps.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:03   #177
BHPian

Smile

Thanks. I'll get the battery and the suspension parts checked soon.

Cheers.
Kiran.
lucifer919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 10:30   #178
Senior - BHPian

Good you are enjoying the car and nothing to make you feel better then the thought of every penny spent was worth

meanwhile Jayant please comedown to the coast and you will get to see pot holes of every size! i guess thats the best way to test the suspensions heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 18:25   #179
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Since yesterday morning, the car upon start is idling @1000 rpm. No issues during traffic stops where the idle is around 600-800 rpm.

It is only during the start irrespective of time. Is this normal?
Old 5th October 2010, 18:32   #180
BHPian

Jayanth,

As I have noticed, based on the atmospheric temperature, the RPM will be higher if it is very cold and normal(abt 800) during summer days. I have noticed this in my car too.

Am putting 3M sound deadening product on my car. The floor part is done and am yet to get the door pads and other places to be covered. Venkatesh was busy last week. promised me to get it done this week some time.

Will try to get some pics and post it during this weekend.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote