Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th October 2010, 15:14   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Kiran - I'm curious to see this work done because its first of a kind I've heard of in the GTX. I too don't know what kind of vibrations Ravi is talking about. Perhaps he can clarify.

And Kiran if I remember right yours is a relatively new car and ours have clocked more 85000 kms (Correct me if I'm wrong Ravi), so if there is something which can be useful by preventive maintenance, I see no harm in having a look at it. BTW, I may or may not go for this but can mark in the checklist when the car crosses 1 lakh mark
Jayant,

I have already done wurth Under-body treatment with 5 years warranty. I noticed that there were some rusting developed at the edges of the floor. Asked Venkatesh to remove the seats and the mat and went for complete cleaning. If we closely observe there are places on the floor where dampening is not done and those areas were covered in this exercise. Sorry for not taking the pics as by the time I reached the workshop the floor mats were fitted in the car.

@ kiran,

Yes, I could see the floor dampening material there. They have put only 4 sheets. We added few more 3M dampening sheets to cover the entire floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My GTX is in for denting + painting. Since it was made in 2002, I have decided to do the complete underbody treatment and go in for a 'pitch' treatment in all doors, body panels etc. Should help in preventing corrosion besides making the cabin cooler and quieter. Next on will be the sound damping sheets.

Cheers
@Revveendra,

Thats the way to go. I am sure it would improve the drive feel since I did drive to chickmagalure last weekend and could feel a bug difference in the sound inside the cabin.

This weekend am getting all the doors and panels getting dampened. Shall post the pics in a new thread.

Last edited by ravikn : 6th October 2010 at 15:17.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 19:37   #197
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default Cost details and new parts pics

Sorry about the late posting regarding the cost and the pics. Here goes

Lower arms - Rs. 8800
Strut mounts - Rs. 5600
Engine sump guard - Rs. 3000
Air intake hose - Rs. 2250

He didn't charge for Wipers, Caliper pin and labour.
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-new-arms.jpg  

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00309201009181626.jpg  

JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 20:18   #198
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, lower arms seems to be a bit on a higher side? i remember paying 3900 for 1.
had the engine sump got damaged?

lastly Venkatesh last told me he was not able to source the "caliper pin" yet:( i need 1 can you help me to get it??
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 20:35   #199
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I think he adjusted the labour charges within that amount What do you think? Because he did not mention anything separate regarding the labour.

The bottom had scrapped a couple of times during drives to hometown Belgaum near the horrible Chitradurga-Haveri stretch. This was not an urgent requirement but as I said earlier, since the car was with him for a couple of days, he got this job done as well.

I'll have a word with him regarding the caliper pin.
Old 20th October 2010, 22:44   #200
Senior - BHPian

@jayanth - why is the crank sensor lying outside?

i dont know if you guys face this - but this has been coming up occassionally.

This occurs only with AC on at idle with LOAD (HLs on + AC)

Idle RPM sticking at 1100 with load:

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-photo0012.jpg

Temperature needle with AC on at idle:

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-photo0013.jpg

After about a minute (idle after a drive):

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-photo0014.jpg

RPM came down on its own at 850 +/- after the fan stopped while idling

Till date - this has occured 3-4 times over last 6 months. Don't know the exact cause - but i have been over-looking it every time it occured.

Do you guys think its a major issue or something?

The missing Cigar Lighter Illumination:

Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-photo0015.jpg
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 08:02   #201
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
@jayanth - why is the crank sensor lying outside?
You mean in the first pic? This was also replaced but I forgot to mention because I wasn't charged. Neither was I charged for the wipers which are hella BTW and Wheel balancing and alignment.

Your query on RPM idling is exactly what was bothering me too. Although I do not switch on the A/C immediately, mine and yours appears to be the same problem. Am actually not sure if it is a problem at all. After a few mins drive, it comes back to normal positions during traffic stops. Am assuming you are getting this only upon start!?

And is it the same when A/C is off?
Old 21st October 2010, 10:47   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean in the first pic? This was also replaced but I forgot to mention because I wasn't charged. Neither was I charged for the wipers which are hella BTW and Wheel balancing and alignment.
i got it changed when it conked off.

Quote:
Your query on RPM idling is exactly what was bothering me too. Although I do not switch on the A/C immediately, mine and yours appears to be the same problem. Am actually not sure if it is a problem at all. After a few mins drive, it comes back to normal positions during traffic stops. Am assuming you are getting this only upon start!?

And is it the same when A/C is off?
I donot switch on AC immediately after starting - switch on only when the car has warmed up a bit or, is warm.

Yes it does come down on its own irrespective of AC on /& after switching off AC, but after sometime. No other issues as such.

I am not talking about cold start high RPM @ 1100. We know it is normal in all cars.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 21st October 2010 at 10:54.
Old 21st October 2010, 10:56   #203
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not talking about cold start high RPM @ 1100.
This is happening to my car too. Previously it was only in the mornings(cold starts) and now, whatever may be the time, the rpm position is exactly the way it is in the picture. And mine is irrespective of load or without it. It just happens.

If Lohith or other fellow 1.6 owners are facing the same issue, it just might be normal but something tells me its not. And moreover, the idle is not really butter smooth. Its slightly erratic, very slightly. What does this tell? Should we check the rpm sensor or the idle control valve?
Old 21st October 2010, 11:19   #204
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jayant, my car's rpm is around 850, i guess you can get it checked with the analyzer...
Old 21st October 2010, 11:26   #205
Senior - BHPian

Jayanth - it is not normal for sure. Like i said - it doesn't happen always - when it is stuck at 1100RPM (with AC on) - if i rev it a bit - it does not come down on its own - so i can rule out the Sticky IACV (Idle Air Control Valve).

It remains stuck there for sometime and come down on its own (With AC or after i have switched off AC and the Fan has switched off).

Sticky IACV will cause it to stick at 1100 fall down to 500 and at times stall the engine. Plus it will make the engine sluggish at 900-1500 and then shoot like a rocket.
Old 21st October 2010, 11:46   #206
Senior - BHPian

Surya, i think in your case since the load on the battery/electrical system is high i guess it might idle at a higher rate considering that appropriate charging happens at that rate?
Old 21st October 2010, 11:48   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Surya, i think in your case since the load on the battery/electrical system is high i guess it might idle at a higher rate considering that appropriate charging happens at that rate?
That is what i feel as well - like i said RPM is not sticky - it stays there for sometime and idles properly at 850 +/-
Old 21st October 2010, 12:30   #208
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Quote:
That is what i feel as well - like i said RPM is not sticky - it stays there for sometime and idles properly at 850 +/-
But the load is quite normal, right? I mean A/C and headlights switched on is not much of a load. If there is some dink-chak ICE, then it makes sense.

In my case even without A/C and any other load, the situation is the same.

So, Surya, eitherways, we may have to just run the ECU on the analyser and see what gives.
Old 21st October 2010, 20:42   #209
BHPian

Quote:
It could be the engine temperature. Till the engine attains the optimum temperature, the idle RPM will be slightly higher, as controlled by the ECU. Try the same experiment after a short drive, or after 5 mins of idling in the morning.

Regards,
Bejoy
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:10   #210
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default Update on Clutch shudder in 1st gear

Apparently, the clutch plates were counting their days. Totally worn out and not surprising at 86000 kms. So, got them replaced.

Had also told the guys to check the rpm needle issue and run the analyzer. I was told that the rpm issue is solved and but could not get time to check on the analyser (they don't have one and had to go to some other placed to run it) and since I was running short of time, postponed it. This morning, when I checked, it was hovering around 800 mark which is a good sign.

Engine bed had developed cracks and replaced the same with a used one which was lying idle in the workshop. So, no charges on this one. For the clutch plates, I don't have the costs since I was in a hurry and we decided to take that up later.