Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th October 2010, 12:02   #211
Senior - BHPian

Nice updates Jayanth.

Please post the clutch replacement charges - Clutch Plates + Release Bearing.

My car's clutch release bearing is making a khar-khar sound at times - depressing the clutch subsides the noise. In any case, i need to get that changed.

Some minor vibration sets in at times - feels like misfiring - but misfiring should occur at all times IMO. i guess it is either the coil pack or the engine mounts (bed??)

i have changed the spark plugs (earlier running with Palio 1.2 Champion RC8BYC Lancia twin spark Plugs - my fault) with Champion RC10YCC Hyundai OE plugs (same as for Palio 1.6 - check Owner's Manual Page: 132).

Still awaiting the Idle Bearing - which i couldn't source at the time of Timing Belt Replacement at 54,6**kms. All other belts were replaced.

Dash board rattle has set in big time.

take care.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 25th October 2010 at 12:04.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:39   #212
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jayant so finally the "CP's" are replaced, before the service my car used to jerk at lower gears but post service this issue seems to be have got fixed.

Can you share some pics on "engine bed"?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:53   #213
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post

Please post the clutch replacement charges - Clutch Plates + Release Bearing.
My guess is in the vicinity of 8k including labour based on hearsay. But will post the exact charges after I pay him.

Quote:

My car's clutch release bearing is making a khar-khar sound at times - depressing the clutch subsides the noise. In any case, i need to get that changed.

Some minor vibration sets in at times - feels like misfiring - but misfiring should occur at all times IMO. i guess it is either the coil pack or the engine mounts (bed??)
Release bearing can be separately replaced if that alone is a culprit.

If spark plugs are new, then it could be the IC, right? When was it last cleaned?

I had engine misfiring along with rough idle before too when the needle was over 1000 rpm. He just cleaned the spark plugs and the oxygen sensor. AS I said earlier this morning, it was perfect. I'll post my observations again after a week or 2.

Quote:

Still awaiting the Idle Bearing - which i couldn't source at the time of Timing Belt Replacement at 54,6**kms. All other belts were replaced.

Dash board rattle has set in big time.
You will have to open up the whole thing again to get the idle bearing fixed. Thats why some mechs insist on replacing bearings and the belts at the same time to save on labour costs.

Why the dashboard rattle? Is it because you did something to the A/C filter which you were talking about earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

Can you share some pics on "engine bed"?
Here you go
Attached Thumbnails
Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms-img00382201010241711.jpg  

JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:50   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
My guess is in the vicinity of 8k including labour based on hearsay. But will post the exact charges after I pay him.
Thanks Jayanth - i guess the clutch is OK.

Quote:
Release bearing can be separately replaced if that alone is a culprit.
Yes, i am aware of that - but HASS insists on a Genuine part to arrive before opening up the Gear Box (is GB opening required BTW?) - The Khar-kahr sound is very irritating while idling.

Quote:
If spark plugs are new, then it could be the IC, right? When was it last cleaned?
IACV is clean - i have ruled out Sticky RPM - the vibrations were present even before the plugs / timing belt were changed. But it doesn't occur always.

Quote:
You will have to open up the whole thing again to get the idle bearing fixed. Thats why some mechs insist on replacing bearings and the belts at the same time to save on labour costs.
Yes, I know. HASS had sourced one NOS (New Old Stock) Idle Bearing from a spare parts dealer - but it was rusted and was returned. The OEM idle bearing is OK as per them when the timing belt was changed. But the following parts have been ordered by HASS with Tata-FIAT (which is taking a long time to arrive):

1. Idle Bearing / Tensioner
2. Clutch Release Bearing

Quote:
Why the dashboard rattle? Is it because you did something to the A/C filter which you were talking about earlier?
I have a strong feeling - that the AC parts / vent routers & HU wires are rattling - since the rattle comes from the centre.

Thanks again Jayanth

Last edited by planet_rocker : 25th October 2010 at 13:56.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:54   #215
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i guess the clutch is OK.
Unfortunately, the problem is not rectified. I still noticed the shudder this morning which was totally absent yesterday

I called the mech and he suggested to bring the car for which I have no time. This weekend I'm off on vacation and will only have to show it after I come back :-(

What would it be?
Old 26th October 2010, 10:56   #216
Senior - BHPian

Jayant i dont think it was due to clutch issue, get the throttle body cleaned.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the problem is not rectified. I still noticed the shudder this morning which was totally absent yesterday

I called the mech and he suggested to bring the car for which I have no time. This weekend I'm off on vacation and will only have to show it after I come back :-(

What would it be?
Old 26th October 2010, 11:21   #217
Senior - BHPian

What was the coolant / engine temperature like? Did you let it warm up before you did: Engage 1st/R > release clutch without accelerator?
Old 26th October 2010, 14:26   #218
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but am not sure how throttle body would be the culprit for the shudder which is only in 1st gear. It should be nearly for all the time and gears, no?

Quote:
What was the coolant / engine temperature like? Did you let it warm up before you did: Engage 1st/R > release clutch without accelerator?
No, didn't warm it. Let me try that tomorrow, thanks!
Old 26th October 2010, 16:25   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but am not sure how throttle body would be the culprit for the shudder which is only in 1st gear. It should be nearly for all the time and gears, no?

Quote:
Dirty throttle body can be clearly identified by dancing RPM and irratic idle (ranging 500-1200RPM). Plus thw car will either easily stall in that zone or shoot like a rocket after that RPM zone

Quote:
No, didn't warm it. Let me try that tomorrow, thanks!
I think when you checked / drove the car, it was already warm it happened to my car couple of times when i tried to move the car after cold start (without warming - ideally not required) with pressing the accelerator a bit.
Old 13th February 2011, 21:38   #220
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Long time! The GTX has clocked 90,000 kms now

It went for servicing on Friday and returned to me this afternoon. There weren't many issues as such - an oil change, brake pads replacement and a kaput horn. The niggling 1st gear release shudder was still persisitent but I had almost got used to it. Mechanic and I went for a test drive to see if there was something he could identify with this trained eye/mind. The 5th gear wasn't slotting very smoothly and even the reverse gear was making a screeching noise during slotting. He also recommended to change the brake discs. They were worn out too after inspection.

So the brake pads, brake discs, gear bracket, air filter (was terribly choked) were replaced. Apart from this the other tasks were routine fluid changes and cleaning. Mechanic had not prepared the bill yet, so do not know how much the total would be.

The last time I serviced the vehicle was more than 10 months ago and what a difference it makes after a fresh service. The GTX is still such a joy to drive and I really don't think I can sell this ever . All the issues were sorted out including the first gear shudder.

There remains a little bit of work on the paint touch up near the fuel lid ( Idiot Ritz newbie touched while removing his car) and the front bumper. Am also keen to have a fresh look on the inside. Maybe new seat covers/seats and some carbon fibre titbits. What do you guys think? Even though the interiors look dated, I simply love the simplicity of it but would like to may be add some charm to the old day...what say guys?
Old 13th February 2011, 22:24   #221
Senior - BHPian

jayant, wow 90k you seem to be munching miles

btw what was the solution for the first gear shudder?

ummm tough call i suggest run it till you can
Old 14th February 2011, 09:05   #222
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Still 10k to go for the magical 1L figure ;-)

I was suggested that the shudder will eventually go away since the clutch plates which were the prime supsect were replaced. But even after replacement, I was not convinced with the release. But yesterday, after I got back the vehicle it suddenly disappeared as if it was never present.
When I pointed out, he just grinned and said it was not that prominent after clutch plates replacement and with regular servicing, it is bound to go away. So hard to point out to a specific solution.

And run it till I can, I will . Its hard to let go of this car after having such a wonderful experience. My mother hates 2nd hand stuff including cars. She was here last weekend and was pestering me to change and buy a new sedan (status, spacious, boot and all that stuff) but after witnessing the ride quality from the rear seat and the smooth power delivery and pick up the car exhibited, she quickly changed her stance to - let's keep it. I say yeah let us keep it and buy a nice motorcycle instead
Old 14th February 2011, 11:11   #223
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Jayant

Glad that everyone in the family decided to keep the car wish it a speedy run till the magical 1,00,000 Kms figure.

My car is still stuck at 56K Kms and have a stupid issue which remains unsolved. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2216096 (What's that sound?)
Old 14th February 2011, 11:24   #224
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Surya!

I've left a reply on your sound issue. Not really sure of it though.

Lohith - How's the advy doing? Should have met up when you drove to Bangy! ;-)

Last edited by JVH : 14th February 2011 at 12:07.
Old 18th April 2011, 08:08   #225
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Got the alignmnet done over the weekend. It was totally out and got a earful from the tyre fellows. Have to say that the Michelins have served me well so far. Looking at the treads, looks like they can do another 15-20k kms easily.

Planning for a long trip next weekend after a long time and looking forward for the drive