Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th April 2011, 10:41   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Hey JVH,
Congratulations on your GTX( it's too late I guess!!)
Was reading through your ownership report. Must say it was an awesome deal and more so when the car has been serving you well and giving those adrenaline rush at the same time.
how much is it on the odo now? waiting for that magical 100,000kms mark. Hope it is soon.
Hope it continues to serve you well.
Cheers,
Manish.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 12:02   #227
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hey JVH,
Congratulations on your GTX( it's too late I guess!!)
Was reading through your ownership report. Must say it was an awesome deal and more so when the car has been serving you well and giving those adrenaline rush at the same time.
how much is it on the odo now? waiting for that magical 100,000kms mark. Hope it is soon.
Hope it continues to serve you well.
Cheers,
Manish.
Thanks Manish!

It's been much more than a sweet deal because of the fantastic ownership and hence the decision to keep it as long as I can. Agreed there were some expenses, but most of them were related to unavoidable wear and tear and the only expense which came out of the blue was the radiator fan going kaput. And ofcourse, the dreaded accident didn't help.

I must also write here that I'm fortunate to have a good mechanic to support the car or else my story (fingers crossed) would not have been the same.

Well, the ODO is now nearing 92000 and hope to reach the mark this year

Last edited by JVH : 18th April 2011 at 12:04.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:38   #228
BHPian

So many enthusiasts here on 1.6...
Let me add my own also here....
Just gave for 53K service to Venkatesh. And was seeing one 1.6Sport Stile Formula Red there... who's it?

Gear change is very hard and happened only 3-days before. On inspection was told that gear cable got jammed. So need replacements and quoted was around less than Rs 4K.

Also wanted to go from Mobil1 to Castrol Magnatec.
Since Venkatesh is not well, and he asked me to change the timing belt in next service.

Will put up the detailed service after I get the car and update my thread there after:

Here is the original thread that I created:

Long term ownership
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-report.html (FIAT Palio 1.6 Sports - 20000 Kms ownership report)

Initial ownership
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-charges.html
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:48   #229
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
And was seeing one 1.6Sport Stile Formula Red there... who's it?
Did it have T-BHP stickers? If yes, it could be BondBhai. He's a silent member here and frequents Venkatesh.

Quote:

Gear change is very hard and happened only 3-days before. On inspection was told that gear cable got jammed. So need replacements and quoted was around less than Rs 4K.
I got mine replaced about a year and a half ago and IIRC, it cost me 3.5K including labour.

Quote:

Also wanted to go from Mobil1 to Castrol Magnatec.
Since Venkatesh is not well, and he asked me to change the timing belt in next service.
Frankly, I did not feel any difference when I briefly switched to Mobil1. Later realized that I'm unncessarily paying a bomb and besides I get a good feeling when the mineral oil is replaced every 5K kms rather than waiting for 10-15K kms.

Venkatesh, hopefully will be up and running in the next 3 months. Till then, he's verbally taking calls and getting the job done through his mechanics.

In my recent trip, I had a harrowing experience near Davangere when I was trying to overtake a truck, suddenly a Tum-Tum came in the wrong direction and had to apply brakes, steer violently and just about avoided touching a truck on the left lane and a moron Innova at the back. As a result, the brakes have a little bit of play. Need to get it rectified during the weekend.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:33   #230
Senior - BHPian

Lucky bangalore guys with Venkatesh at your service

to add to Jayant,

Gear cable comes in a set of two: 1. slotting(sideways) 2. shifting - the set costs about 2300/-. i got them changed recently - labour was 500/- only.

Mahadev - i have replied to you PM - hope you have received it.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 12:44   #231
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

I got mine replaced about a year and a half ago and IIRC, it cost me 3.5K including labour.
Here's what I had written about the gear issue many moons ago. Hope this will be useful.

Quote:
Yesterday, I took the car to Venkatesh who was the main mechanic of Hariprasad Automobiles for a good 2 decades. He's opened his own garage - Gowri Automobiles at Sajjan Rao road.

I had 2 issues with the car
  1. Gear shifts were not precise and the reverse lift mechanism was screwed up (courtesy from another dear friend who was not used to the lift mechanism inspite of live demos)
  2. AC was not working
Apart from these 2 main issues, I also wanted to check with all the other details of the car including the niggling suspension issue and a general inspection.

I left the car with him @ 11.00am and collected @5.30pm. It was diagonized that the clutch cable had gone kaput and it was surviving because of some jugad did by the Hariprasad guys. Those fellows did not care to mention me about this and instead did all the jugad because of which the gear bracket bed was also slightly tilted towards the driver side. Regarding the AC, we found out that there was no gas. So, thank heavens it wasn't major.

The total bill was Rs. 3674. Here's the split
Labour - Rs. 1200
Clutch cable - Rs. 1860
Reverse lock spring - Rs. 14
Gear Knob - Rs. 600

He also cleaned the radiator and filled the coolant.
Surya - How's the progress? Hope you have received the parts by now...
Old 29th April 2011, 12:11   #232
BHPian

Thanks Surya. I got it.

When enquired with Venkatesh, it seems 1.6 Sports has a different set of gear cables compared to GTX. So he sourced it from Chennai and work is underway. Hoping to get it today evening or will collect the same tomorrow afternoon.

This time, I will go with Castrol Magnatec 10W40.

BTW, the last highway run of around 420kms (flatly in 5.5 Hours) returned a mileage of 13.64KMPL.

And my ownership thread got moved to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ip-report.html (FIAT Palio 1.6 Sports - Ownership report) and will soon update all details in there.
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:46   #233
Senior - BHPian

Procuring spares is very easy atleast in Karnataka, TASS is the best bet.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:41   #234
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In my recent trip, I had a harrowing experience near Davangere when I was trying to overtake a truck, suddenly a Tum-Tum came in the wrong direction and had to apply brakes, steer violently and just about avoided touching a truck on the left lane and a moron Innova at the back. As a result, the brakes have a little bit of play. Need to get it rectified during the weekend.
The left brake cylinder had developed leaks as a result of which the brakes weren't really effective. Had to replace both the cylinders (left and the right). Issue is resolved.

But now, I'm getting a new sound. sort of dug-dug-dug, very light. Most prominent when one gives a earful to the front right wheel. Appears as if the alloy is bent. Haven't checked it thoroughly though. What would it be?
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:44   #235
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, check the wheel nuts, either one of the nut is missing or got loose.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:28   #236
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Jayant, check the wheel nuts, either one of the nut is missing or got loose.
All nuts are fine.

Will a slight alloy bend generate such a noise? Am suspecting that because I hit quite a few potholes on my recent trip to Belgaum...
Old 4th May 2011, 19:29   #237
Senior - BHPian

my palio's spare wheel is an OE alloy and it is bent on the inner side - it touches the shock absorber and you can feel it through the steering wheel. it makes a gud-gud sound as well when it touches the shock absorber.

The previous owner mentioned it when i purchased the car.

Jayant - got the 5th gear syncro - tried to reach you via IM on FB. and now the front fog lamps have conked off - the foglamp illumination on the dash is also not glowing - fuse issue?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 4th May 2011 at 19:33.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:52   #238
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
my palio's spare wheel is an OE alloy and it is bent on the inner side - it touches the shock absorber and you can feel it through the steering wheel. it makes a gud-gud sound as well when it touches the shock absorber.
Aah, thanks! My doubt is more or less verified now. During the previous alignment, tyrewala had pointed out the bend and it was duly rectified too but looks like the job wasn't done properly and hence this dug-dug or gud-gud sound

Quote:

Jayant - got the 5th gear syncro - tried to reach you via IM on FB. and now the front fog lamps have conked off - the foglamp illumination on the dash is also not glowing - fuse issue?
I saw your message and was in the middle of the call and totally forgot it later...sorry! So, the job has begun on the 5th gear? On the fog lamps, check for the wiring or lose joints if any. Fuse might be the last option.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:12   #239
Senior - BHPian

i have the car with me now. so the work is over.

i think it is the switch on the dash is acting up. if it IS the problem, the dash facia needs to be opened.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:24   #240
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i have the car with me now. so the work is over.
Good to know! So, it was really the ring?

Quote:

i think it is the switch on the dash is acting up. if it IS the problem, the dash facia needs to be opened.
No idea on the switch :-(. Do let us all know how this shapes up...