Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd June 2011, 23:00   #256
BHPian

Default re: Palio GTX - Red beast comes home! EDIT: update @100,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
@rock18,

i have attached the bill image below. I think my memory was not very accurate. the prices seem to be inline with what you have quoted.

Items 1,2 and 5 are for front suspension.( I remember changing both lower arms - I am not sure why its showing qty as 1. I have the old ones somewhere at home. Will recheck to see if its one or two.)

Items 3 and 4 are for the rear suspension.

Remaining are other jobs.
Sorry.somehow i missed this.
Thanks for attaching the bill. When was this done?
Seems all the prices are quite resonable.
rock18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 07:32   #257
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvgtr6776 View Post
You've brought home an absolute sweetheart. I used to make a sticker out of the expansion of FIAT and stick it on my Palio. Just to let people know that the beauty is from Italy and also that FIAT actually had an expansion. Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino.
Happy Motoring JVH. And always, always Buckle-up.
Thanks there! Good to see such kind of a post early morning...on a Friday too

Its been a while I updated. The car's clocked 94,000kms now. Planning to get it serviced sometime in July-Aug time frame. No mechanical issues with the car. But a truck brushed a few months ago and there's a slight paint peel just above the fuel lid. Repainting is the only way to go but am not in a hurry on that front. Vipu's thread is an inspiration to get the car done up. I'm even planning to go further and get the interiors overhauled.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 12:29   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
Sorry.somehow i missed this.
Thanks for attaching the bill. When was this done?
Seems all the prices are quite resonable.

This was done in Dec 2009.

I just rechecked. I have got 2 old lower arms in my junk. The bill says only one was replaced. Not sure what the problem is.

Cheers,
Jagan.
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 08:49   #259
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Default Service update @ 97600 kms

The car has now done 97,600 kms. It was time for regular servicing. I do it every 6 months so that I can get the oil and oil filter changed. Dropped the car to my mechanic on Saturday and picked up on Sunday. My requests were to address these
  • Regular servicing - oil change, oil filter replacement, fluid top ups, brake cleaning, oiling and greasing wherever necessary
  • Wipers not really working. They stop in between sometimes and not a good situation to be in specially in Bangalore
  • From standstill, when the steering moves, a slight thud sound emerges from the front bottom
When I picked the car yesterday and went for test drive, I felt severe jerks in 1st and 2nd gear. Mechanic tells me that there's water somewhere and should go after continuous driving. I was not satisfied and requested him to blow air and try to dry wherever possible. After half an hour, the jerks were still present but very minimal. Since I was getting late I told him I'll come again if these remain. But after 15 mins of driving, the jerks vanished magically. Wonder what was causing them.

The wiper issue was not addressed properly. He just replaced the wipers not checking if the mechanism itself is functioning or not. The wipers showed the inconsistent behavour and were stopping in between. Am not sure but looks like the wiper motor has gone kaput? Since I was hard pressed for time, had to leave this issue unresolved.

The thud sound resulting from the steering movement was gone. Even the suspension felt better. He just cleaned the dirt and muck underneath.

Only the wiper problem remains. Do you think the wiper motor might have gone? What can be the damages?

Thanks guys!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 08:57   #260
Senior - BHPian

Jayant, there is a possibility of wiper motor getting weak, am not sure about the replacing cost though.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 13:35   #261
Senior - BHPian

Jayant - the wiper motor, IIRC, is behind the plastic cowl - remove the cowl and check for rusts - apply WD-40. The motor remains covered in a black jacket.

Our Getz showed a similar problem while it was raining in Kolkata. problem was traced to a loose Fuse - removed the wiper fuse and plugged it back - wiper was working normally after that.

Check fuse box compartment: Fuse No 1 (20Ah) - 1st fuse from left / top row. This fuse also controls the rear wiper.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 19:42   #262
BHPian

Default Re: Service update @ 97600 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Only the wiper problem remains. Do you think the wiper motor might have gone? What can be the damages?

Thanks guys!
It must be the wiper linkage arms. Is the inconsistent behavior similar to the one posted in this link?

Regards,
Bejoy
bejoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 16:19   #263
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Jayant, there is a possibility of wiper motor getting weak, am not sure about the replacing cost though.
Possible. Will check and revert by this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Jayant - the wiper motor, IIRC, is behind the plastic cowl - remove the cowl and check for rusts - apply WD-40. The motor remains covered in a black jacket.

Our Getz showed a similar problem while it was raining in Kolkata. problem was traced to a loose Fuse - removed the wiper fuse and plugged it back - wiper was working normally after that.

Check fuse box compartment: Fuse No 1 (20Ah) - 1st fuse from left / top row. This fuse also controls the rear wiper.
You sure are doing a lot of DIYs nowadays. Will defintely check and get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
It must be the wiper linkage arms. Is the inconsistent behavior similar to the one posted in this link?

Regards,
Bejoy
No problem with the linkage arms. The movement itself is not consistent. In fact, now there is no movement at all. It just lays still.
Old 20th September 2011, 16:26   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You sure are doing a lot of DIYs nowadays..
not really because not all operations are successful.

Tried to solve the Central Locking Problem by myself - Failed - on top of that Killed the rear Reading light. Will update once i get the central locking mechanism working - but not expecting anything to happen in the next 2 days.

take care
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:34   #265
JVH
Senior - BHPian

The wiper motor had conked off. Replaced with a TVS make. All's fine now. He had the rear wiper assembly in stock as well. Got that replaced as well since mine had gone kaput long ago.

Some joker removed the 1.6 and GTX rear decals. The front right mesh grill is missing. Don't know how it fell off. Will try to get these done next time.

And the jerks disappeared totally :-)
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 18:18   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And the jerks disappeared totally :-)
Jayant,
It was fantastic reading your thread on the car, nice stuff and you have been very explicit with your narrations of your experiences. Do post some updated photos with both of your Italian babes Pretty Sure they would make a very good picture, Rating this thread 5 star.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 11:05   #267
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Jayant,
It was fantastic reading your thread on the car, nice stuff and you have been very explicit with your narrations of your experiences. Do post some updated photos with both of your Italian babes Pretty Sure they would make a very good picture, Rating this thread 5 star.
Thanks Mahesh!

The Palio is not yet ready for a photshoot, certainly not with the other Italian . Has a few scratches here and there courtesy of morons and one of the front mesh grills is missing. 1 lakh update is coming up soon followed up by some beautification and then ofcourse the pics.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 11:09   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mahesh!
1 lakh update is coming up soon followed up by some beautification and then ofcourse the pics.
Strongly suggest you to give it a good overcoat of paint, If the paint is good as of now suggest you to look at some detailing & clay treatment to get rid of few basic scratches. Let me know if you need some contacts and am more than happy to pitch in
Take care my friend and hope to see you soon gunning down corners with your 100 ponies. This is one car which i truly respect, bit unfortunate it could not sell in huge numbers and it did not help itself with some absurd mileage. Only reason why i dropped out this car when i was on the look out for a car myself back in 2002.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 23:24   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks there! Good to see such kind of a post early morning...on a Friday too

Its been a while I updated. The car's clocked 94,000kms now. Planning to get it serviced sometime in July-Aug time frame. No mechanical issues with the car. But a truck brushed a few months ago and there's a slight paint peel just above the fuel lid. Repainting is the only way to go but am not in a hurry on that front. Vipu's thread is an inspiration to get the car done up. I'm even planning to go further and get the interiors overhauled.
You are seriously an enthusiast. Petrol prices don't affect your zeal for speed. Isn't it?

A Ducati Monster was not enough, that you got yourself a Palio GTX as well. I seriously love that car on the previous pages of this thread. Simply awesome. Red is the color!

I am looking out for a GTX as well (same color ). I wish I find a car exactly like yours. Today or tomorrow I will DEFINITELY buy the GTX.

I am so envious (First that Ducati and now this Fiat). Also, it's great to see the way you are maintaining it.

Lovely car...
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 09:12   #270
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shivank!

Fello BHPian VLOCT's signature reads

Life is not a journey of arriving safely, but rather to skid in totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!"

I also come from this school of thought. I just try to enjoy whatever I can afford and attach functionality towards it

And believe me its all about choices nowadays. If you have your heart set out and are backed up by an understanding family, there's no reason you cannot enjoy and pursue passions, whatever they may be. I have done the same thing.

On GTX or 1.6 FIAT, a good car is hard to come by nowadays. But do keep a check on PUG of yahoo groups, the same group on FB as well and ofcourse T-BHP. In fact a fine specimen of a S10 just got transfered to Cochin from Mumbai within the T-BHP family.