Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd March 2005, 00:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Wagon-R, Euro III, full spec

Luck wasn't to be on my side. This time it surely wasn't.

A month back, i headed to a well known Maruti dealership in the suburbs for what was to be, my next best secret. I had got myself on to book a Black Baleno LXi to enter our household. After having kept some money aside for lovely 14/15 inch rims and tyres and even going to the extent of selecting the tyres, i was all ready to play game.

But luck was to play spoilsport. The very same day that my family went to book the Baleno also was the day when my dad was to develop a serious backframe issue. The next morning, a spasm problem was detected and i was forced to cancel the Baleno booking for health reasons. The next best option? The Wagon-R.

Heaving a confused sigh of relief, yet pain, we went ahead and got ourselves a Carribean Blue Wagon-R VXi in Euro-III spec. The dealership promised us a 3-week delivery schedule, but it was to take us 26 days, and finally, last Tuesday, we took delivery of the car. Now for some first hand report of the car and its 250 km reality check.

Exteriors : Get this, it isn't the most beautiful looking car. It is symmetrical and that's it. The crystal look headlamps relieves the car of its heaviness, while the tail-lamps also induce some character. The new shade, carribean blue, goes well with the car and actually makes it look more peppy than it actually is. The car is currently running on JKs, no plans to currently shift them on new tyres yet.

It is a box on wheels, and i wholeheartedly accept the fact. I never really came to appreciate the Wagon-R, but as they say, cognitive dissonance plays a role here, and it seems to have.

Interiors The dashboard has a plethora of storage spaces. The knobs for the AC controls are of the sliding kind which are to my distaste after being used to a bevy of rotatory knobs on my previous Matiz. The car isn't as loaded as you'd expect for a top-of-the-line small car model. They have done away with the parcel tray, and horrors of horrors, even the cigarette lighter! In comes a Nippon anti-theft system, but its basic at best.

The dials are quite pleasant to the eye, but i still have to do a day test to check for glares. The digital odo/trip is quite a useful touch.

The front seats aren't very supportive, they lack good lumbar adjustment. On the other hand they support wide-bodied people quite well. The rear seat is a bench at best. The legroom though is good and so is the headroom. The same cannot be said of the shoulder room, Zens have more of it than Wagon-Rs. The boot is capacious with a lot of loading space, the boot light being a nice touch.

Interior accoutrements: No car is complete without a good music system. I got myself a double DIN, JVC-XC838 which has MP3 capability as well.

I have 4 inch Soomuku speakers up front, while i have 6"x9" CS3360 JBL speakers in the rear, loaded on an MDF board and connected via monster cables.

Chucked out an amp and cd changer for reasons of space and practicality (read noise control!).

On the move: First up, since it is a new car, it idles higher up the revv range at 2000 rpm, when cranked, and takes sometime to settle to the 1000 rpm mark. Fair enough, granted. Also since it is new, haven't revved her beyond the 2500 rpm limit. Will do so till i reach the 3k mark before i explore her to the revv limit, post 5k kms. Initial impressions show it to be a car with loads of torque. No, it isn't bucketfulls, but is quite decent for a small car.

The suspensions, for once on a Maruti seem to be quite good and seem to soak bumps rather well, but they still are nowhere near the Palio which has the best ride quality, IMO, among small cars. The steering isn't foolishly light and dead like in the Zen and seems well weighed all across. The turning circle is tight, again a bonus in a city like Mumbai. And since you are perched so high up, it does give you a sense of "up-liftment".

Overall: Its early days yet, but so far the car seems to be leaving its mark on a cynic like me. At nearly 4.4 lakhs, on-road Mumbai, it seems to be a good deal for a small car. Shall constantly update this thread to provide readers with a better insight into the car.

Keep Revvin (TM)
Revvmaster

Last edited by Revvmaster : 24th March 2005 at 16:53.
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 00:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Revvmaster, congrats on the new car. Did you sell off your pet Matiz? Please post some pics asap.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 00:50   #3
BHPian

Hey Revvmaster,

Congrats on the new car.

Does this come with the ABS & Airbags? if it does, 4.4 on road sounds like a GOOD DEAL!!!

My mom has a Wagon R, which i have driven for about 250km. I think the handling is quite neat for a car that tall. not as tight as the Zen, but quite good.

The torque bit, i agree with. i think the torque curve is quite flat, thus cutting out a lot of gear shifting in the city. However my initial impression was that the gear shift was sort of rubbery and the engine note slightly on the "not so refined" side (compared to the zen)

waiting to hear a report from you after a few more k's

regards,
Rahul
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Regarding that idle revving, mine is one year old, and it still makes a zooooooooom sound when i start it in the morning.

Enjoy the Toy car!... but yeah, that toy car can smoke out some bigger brothers on the highway.. believe me...
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase revv! Do post pics if possible. Also, keep us updated with reviews.
shravan316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding that idle revving, mine is one year old, and it still makes a zooooooooom sound when i start it in the morning.
Same story here too. It's common for all Wagon Rs.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey revv,
congrats on ur new Wagon.
but why did you cancel the baleno.
do u mean to say that a 4 lac wagon r has better seats and ride than a 6lac car..

also u do say that the wagon r has poor lumbar support.didnt you see ll this before you bought that car.
if it has poor seats means your dad could have more problems .
?????????

satya
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Same story here too. It's common for all Wagon Rs.

Shan2nu

it happens in almost all maruti suzuki Mpfi cars.its the auto cold start feature .so if u start driving before the temperature needle reaches the operating temperature point,the engines revvs higher .so its better to wait till the optimum idling revvs are reached.

my mpfi zen is normally at 1300rpm when u start and reaches 800rpm at ideal idle.

satya
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:21   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Revv,

Congrats on the new car, it will surely serve you well. But congrats more on thinking like a true man : When it comes to our parents, their practicality is always more important than our passion. Decision well taken.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 19:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

But tell you what. I've done long distance driving in both the Baleno and the Wagon R. Interestingly enuf, i found the Baleno to be more comfortable over a period of time. The Wagon R is good for short distances but, if you're planning a long trip, it maynot be the best option.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd March 2005 at 19:29.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 20:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

Satya

It isn't about back support as much as it is about ingress and egress. Logic says that in a sedan you have to bend more to get in and out. Nevertheless, you win-some, you lose some. So far its only been me and not my dad who has complained about the lumbar support. Infact i had him take a go at the car at the dealer's before we tore the cheque and he seemed quite satisfied with the package.

Infact, it is really hard to say which car is comfy for whom. It is the user who has his last word. We all have different body structures and manufacturers try and come to a common denomination while selecting seats. But it still doesn't necessarily means it would be comfortable for all. It isn't that i am trying to justify my purchase, its a fact. For instance, i know of so many people who own Matizes who complain about the seating, while for me it fitted like a fisted hand in a glove. Reason? The seat really does well for average built and height persons.

Rahul, i was going in for the package of ABS alone, but the dealers made a mess of it and had to make do without it. They did everything under the sun to convince me that ABS works only at speeds above 120 (un huh?) and that we don't do such speeds usually (the usual story told by an Indian who knows no more than the fact that the car has an engine). What though shocks me is the way Maruti is flogging a top-of-the-line small car without many features. For instance, there is no rear-wash wiper, something hard for me to digest as i have one on my Zen VXi and need it quite often during the rains. Cost-cutting in days of spiralling raw material costs is understandable, but making away with features under the same guise is ridiculous.

Revv
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 13:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey Revv,
waiting for the pics.
The wagonR is an awesome car and do post a review soon.
I know how it feels about the ABS thing.
Get a rear wash wipe fitted along with some mags.
How much did you spend on the deck?
Waiting for a review.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 22:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They did everything under the sun to convince me that ABS works only at speeds above 120
Come on dude...i would expect you to know better. But either ways congrats on your purchase.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 22:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

My Bother has the same logic, no matter how much i try to convince him.
Besides, who are they to argue with you. If you want something that can be put on the car, by all means, they have to give it to you.
I think you went to Sai Service or Spectra.
Write to Maruti and please tell them.
Oh and we are waiting for pics.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 23:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey dude
congrats on the purchase of your new car take care of her.waiting for some pics .

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote