Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th February 2010, 12:33   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Just checking - but isn't the capacity of the Alto only 2.7 litres (as per the manual atleast)? Why did you carry the little extra?
That was an error - I thought the capacity was 2.850 litres and took 100 ML less as a precaution! Should have double checked the manual.

It is an ordeal every time to make them wait till the oil stops from the drain hole. The rush at MSM is unbelievable, but they are the best in Chennai. As soon as the mandatory services are over, I will get the oil change done at a friendly neighbourhood workshop and go to MSM only for service / spares.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 12:39   #152
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
As soon as the mandatory services are over, I will get the oil change done at a friendly neighbourhood workshop and go to MSM only for service / spares.
By mandatory services, do you mean the pink service slips for each service in the manual or untill your warranty is over?
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 12:48   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By mandatory services, do you mean the pink service slips for each service in the manual or untill your warranty is over?
I mean the pink service slips. I think they will last till the 36th month, after which there will be one more year of extended warranty, so there must be four more annual oil changes from the MASS. The six monthly oil change which is not mandatory can be done anywhere!
Old 17th February 2010, 11:24   #154
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Excess engine oil drained

I drove into MASS last evening to drain out the excess oil and was met by my SA Thimme Gowda rigth at th entrance. Told him that the reading was well about the max level (~3.5mm above it) and he promtly apologized and said that since the guy was pouring in the Mobil Super from the big 4 litre can, he must have over filled it. I reminded him that the can had markings so the mech should have been a little more careful.

The car was then driven into the wheel alignment shed at a corner of the workshop to have the excess oil drained. Reason - The Works Manager was on the workshop floor supervising a few jobs and talking to a few customers. I'm certain, he would have pulled up these guys for their goof up so they quietly went to a corner to drain out the excess oil.

Since the engine was hot (i had driven about 18 kms to get to MASS from work) I insisted that the entire sump be drained into a fresh plastic can rather than use an old one in which they fill Servo. The oil was then poured back into the filler cap, the mechanic obviously struggling due to the scalding temp of the oil, he spilled some onto the exhaust manifold as well, which I flushed off with a pressure hose this morning before I drove to work.

The entire job took about 20 mins and in the end, there was ~150-200 ml of excess oil that remained in that can I was very assertive and told them to be more careful the next time so that oil is not wasted like this.

Last edited by gpa : 17th February 2010 at 11:26.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:41   #155
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy Villager on overloaded TVS moped bumps into my Alto

2.30 pm Saturday afternoon, I trundle to a stop at the Mekhri circle signal from the road leading up from Sadashivnagar police station. I stop the car since the light was red, just behind a M800, since it is about 90 secs or so for the light to turn green, I was chilling in the car fiddling with the a/c controls when BHAM! a slight jerk and I instantly look behind in the internal RVM and see a guy fallen on the side of a Honda Civic. Go out and see that it is some guy (could barely understand his Kannada- he said he is from some village on the outskirts of B'lore) on a TVS moped, overloaded with vegetables had bumped into the rear bumper of my Alto.

He says he could not stop in time and blah blah and I tell him, he shouldn't have overloaded his vehicle the way he had. Everything seemed fine and I drove away with a minor scar on the rear bumper. The Civic was not so lucky and had a bad scar on its rear door.

Driving a little further, I felt a slight rattle from the rear (my ears are so tuned to pick these things) and I put it down as something minor. As I was washing the car today, I noticed that the number plate light has been dislodged and that was the cause of the rattling. Nothing major, so I reckon a DIY can fix it.

Will be dismantling the rear bumper tmw for a fix. Will post pics of the same.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 28th February 2010, 20:33   #156
Senior - BHPian

Ouch! But good to know that you did not have much of a damage and also you were not fleeced.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 13:58   #157
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Smile Bumper repaired

I dismantled the bumper last night. It was quite a task to reach the press-fit type platic locks under the bumper, but once off, it was fast progress. The bumper has 9 mounting points (5 nuts & 4 press-fit plastic locks) and once off, you have to disconnect the lighting connection from the point on the body to the wires on the bumper. Be sure to cover the open socket with insulation tape if you are washing the car.

Since the bumper was removed, I took the chance to clean the bulb and plastic lenses of the number plate mounting lights. After a quick clean and sanding down of the broken clamp, I mixed some Araldite and applied it to both surfaces, since this needed to be pressed firmly in place overnight, I used a 2kg dumbell to put some pressure and weight on the joint!

Woke up this morning and the joint was stuck hard, pressure washed the bumper with a garden hose and then polished it and refitted it back on the car - good as knew

I have posted pics of the job.

Regards,
gpa
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-mounting-points.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-mounting-pointlh-wheel-well.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-mounting-pointlhs-clamp.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-stuck-araldite.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-number-plate-light-connection.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi Ownership Review : 7 years and 70,000 Kms-final-fit-after-polish.jpg  

Last edited by gpa : 1st March 2010 at 14:16.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:24   #158
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Default Description of the pics

I have posted pics of the job. Here's a small description

Pic 1: The nine mounting points of the bumper.
Pic 2: The mounting point on the LHS rear wheel well
Pic 3: The mounting point under the car
Pic 4: The joint stuck with Araldite
Pic 5: Reconnecting the number plate light connections - Be careful to pull on the connector and not the wire as this joint is fairly fragile
Pic 6: The polished bumper refitted back on the car.

Regards,
gpa
Old 1st March 2010, 16:07   #159
Senior - BHPian

It looks as good as new!

And when you say polish, what did you do? Is it the same as that is used for the tire shine or something else?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 16:15   #160
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
when you say polish, what did you do?
Used a little 3M plastshield polish after I thoroughly washed the bumper with shampoo and a pressure hose. The 3M plastshield is the same that can be used on bumpers, tyres and the inner trim.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Just checking - but isn't the capacity of the Alto only 2.7 litres (as per the manual atleast)? Why did you carry the little extra?
For my last 2 oil changes, the mechanic poured the full 3 liters of 'mobil 1' and still the 'oil level indicator' showed the level as between 'min' and 'max'.
If the Alto Engine oil capacity is only 2.7 liters, how did 3 liters go in?

Last edited by jinojohnt : 25th May 2010 at 15:36.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 15:43   #162
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
If the Alto Engine oil capacity is only 2.7 liters, how did 3 liters go in?
Not quite sure how this happened. Its possible that the mechanic could have spilled a little oil as well.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:51   #163
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Smile Alto turns two!

My Alto turned two yesterday. Gave it for the 30,000 kms service yesterday since it touched the milestone last week. A long ownership report is due and I will pen it down during the course of this week.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Not quite sure how this happened. Its possible that the mechanic could have spilled a little oil as well.
But to spill 0.3 liters means almost one third of the one liter bottle would be wasted. I don't think that much oil was spilled. Anybody else had the same experience?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 16:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
But to spill 0.3 liters means almost one third of the one liter bottle would be wasted. I don't think that much oil was spilled. Anybody else had the same experience?
No. I measured and took 2.750 litres of Shell Helix HX5 for my second service and the level was a bit below max level when checked after filling. I told them to leave it alone. When I checked once again the next morning, there was a slight over fill but I did not bother to go back to correct it.