Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:05   #1591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

4th servicing is due for my civic. I hope the costs are still around the same ~ 4K as mentioned in the first post on this thread.
Additionally I am planning to get 3M paint-protection and underbody coating combined cost of which is quoted as 9200 (individual costs are 5000 each) - Is this fine?
I asked about motor care and 3M guy said it has been replaced by Rs 2000 worth of job -not sure what he called it though. Anyone aware of this?
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:13   #1592
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

On my last service done on March 24th i paid only 400 for the motor care.
You can call up 3M and find out, just to confirm.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:28   #1593
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Additionally I am planning to get 3M paint-protection and underbody coating combined cost of which is quoted as 9200 (individual costs are 5000 each) - Is this fine?
The prices of paint protection and underbody coating is similar to the ones quoted at the 3M shop in Viman Nagar.

The 3M folks there actually didnt recommend underbody coating for a car which is being driven around Pune. For Bombay cars it is needed, they said.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:58   #1594
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 183 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The 3M folks there actually didnt recommend underbody coating for a car which is being driven around Pune. For Bombay cars it is needed, they said.
That makes sense.

However even in off-coast cities, if you find yourself driving a lot through water-logged roads (like I do), it makes for peace of mind if not sense .

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:22   #1595
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 344
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
The prices of paint protection and underbody coating is similar to the ones quoted at the 3M shop in Viman Nagar.

The 3M folks there actually didnt recommend underbody coating for a car which is being driven around Pune. For Bombay cars it is needed, they said.
Since yesterday, after posting here, I read through the thread(s) about these coatings. I get a sense that paint protection (so callled teflon) also does not make sense as it lasts for a couple of months (is that why 3M has 1+ 2 free so that it lasts for a year?). Same goes for the engine one.
I was thinking of underbody coating so that it would protect areas which get scraped, where its possible that the original paint/coat gets damaged (inspite of the fact that I havent scraped more than 3-4 times in a year). Does this make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That makes sense.

However even in off-coast cities, if you find yourself driving a lot through water-logged roads (like I do), it makes for peace of mind if not sense .

Regards,
spadix
I agree with peace of mind factor but my guess on why it is recommended in coastal areas is because of high humidity throughout the year rather than water-logged roads. In terms of water-logged roads Pune may be better than Mumbai but whatever amount of water is present on the road should be sufficient to cause equivalent splashing.
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:48   #1596
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post Insurance 5th year

I am going into my 5th year of ownership and was quoted for Insurance renewal.
Here are my Insurance amount details:

year 1. 39,000 (when car was bought)
year 2. 25,824
year 3. 14,788
year 4. 12,519
year 5. 10,566 (quoted)

from United India Insurance.
No claims so far, so with NCB.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:00   #1597
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

In my case it has been
year 1 (2010): Rs 24,900 (declined dealer offer and took directly from Tata AIG)
year 2 (2011): Rs 18,200

Both from Tata AIG. No extra/additional covers, with NCB.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:06   #1598
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That makes sense.

However even in off-coast cities, if you find yourself driving a lot through water-logged roads (like I do), it makes for peace of mind if not sense .

Regards,
spadix
I think it makes some sense. I have a Santro which is about 10 years old. It's underside has been fully rusted and a few months back a part of the exhaust pipe (from silencer to the tip) fell off due to rust. I am now running without it. I had never done any anti-rust coating and never took the car outside Bangalore. Not sure if anti-rust coating would have helped in this case.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 13:38   #1599
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I am going into my 5th year of ownership and was quoted for Insurance renewal.

year 5. 10,566 (quoted)
I went throught ICICI, the premium was ~10700. IDV was 7.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I think it makes some sense. I have a Santro which is about 10 years old. It's underside has been fully rusted
What I understand older cars came without protections. Nowadays OEMs are proactive, thus new cars come with adquate underbody coating protections.

It is really salt and humidity together that is the killer.

However if peace of mind can be bought in 4-5k for 15-16L car, why not?

Last edited by dot : 3rd May 2011 at 13:39.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:06   #1600
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I went throught ICICI, the premium was ~10700. IDV was 7.2
For an IDV of 7.2L and a premium 10,700Rs is a fantastic deal.

Whats the percentage of NCB do you have ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:25   #1601
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Got the 30K service done on my car. Damages: 7000 INR
Here's the break up of costs:
30K service labor charge: 1220
Honda Synthetic oil: 2900 (approx)
AC Disinfectant: 700 (don't quite remember what they did. Does not feel necessary)
ECU scanning: 400
Disc skimming: 950
consumable: 290 (approx)
rest to the govt

It seems my front disc pads had worn out and the disc's needed skimming, was really surprised as the car has barely done 24K KMS, perhaps this was the gift from the previous owner.

Honda rates for the pads was exorbitant so just got the disc skimmed from them, bought original Honda brake pads from Opera house for around 1700 (MRP of 3900) and installed them at my local garage. Some really cheap pads were also available at 500 INR, steered well clear of them, perhaps these are the refurbished ones.

I had left the following instructions:
1. suspension re-torquing - Part of the 30K service
2. Oil change - again part of 30K service.
4. Loss of braking
5. High fuel consumption - The explanation given by the SA was the air filter in my car was clogged terribly, cleaned and refitted. So the mileage should improve. Had tanked up a couple of weeks ago; used to it for 411 KMS before tanking up immediately after the service. The car took in 41 ltrs of fuel. So exactly 10 KMPL. Hope to see this figure improve now.

The car feels amazingly smooth to drive now. Going on a longish drive this Friday, can't wait to drive it on NH8. The brakes still are a bit spongy but the bite is so much better than before.

Got one question: Will the brakes need a bit of time to run in?

All in all, the car is in pristine condition now. I feel I could have saved some money by not getting the AC disinfectant and disc skimming at the HASS.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th May 2011 at 13:28.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:47   #1602
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Disc skimming: 950

It seems my front disc pads had worn out and the disc's needed skimming, was really surprised as the car has barely done 24K KMS, perhaps this was the gift from the previous owner.
If the rotors have surface lines then skimming is required for the rotors, else definetely there will be vibrations when braking (high vibration is felt when in high speed braking (above 120kmph)).
Magnum Honda Bangalore quoted 1500Rs for the same.

Quote:
Honda rates for the pads was exorbitant .
I agree it's around 5500 Rs for a pair of Front brake pads.

Quote:
bought original Honda brake pads from Opera house for around 1700 (MRP of 3900) .
VFM brake pads then. Almost 1/3 of the price quoted @ A.S.S.
How much for the rear brake pads ?



Quote:
The brakes still are a bit spongy but the bite is so much better than before.

Got one question: Will the brakes need a bit of time to run in?

disc skimming at the HASS.
Yes, then need to Bed-in properly when you have replaced the Brake pads along with skimming of Rotors. Say around 150-200kms should be fine.
Rememeber no hard Braking during this run-in(bed-in) time.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 14:24   #1603
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
If the rotors have surface lines then skimming is required for the rotors, else definetely there will be vibrations when braking (high vibration is felt when in high speed braking (above 120kmph)).
Magnum Honda Bangalore quoted 1500Rs for the same.
I guess they did have surface lines but my car did not have any vibrations. The braking was getting progressively weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I agree it's around 5500 Rs for a pair of Front brake pads.

VFM brake pads then. Almost 1/3 of the price quoted @ A.S.S.
How much for the rear brake pads ?
Thats exactly what I was quoted. Day light robbery if you ask me. Agreed, they need to make up margins but charging thrice as much is just not done. I am sure I am not going to buy any spares from HASS.
I feel the rear pads should cost the same, I changed just the ones in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yes, then need to Bed-in properly when you have replaced the Brake pads along with skimming of Rotors. Say around 150-200kms should be fine.
Rememeber no hard Braking during this run-in(bed-in) time.
Great, will keep this in mind. Going for a quick trip to Gujarat this Friday, so the pads will be nicely bedded in.
And with family along, no racerboy antics.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:48   #1604
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
For an IDV of 7.2L and a premium 10,700Rs is a fantastic deal.

Whats the percentage of NCB do you have ?
NCB is 25%. The deal had very little to do with my negotiating skills. Used ICICI's website, plugged in the numbers, it threw out the premium. Checked on TBHP. The number was ratified. Paid next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

bought original Honda brake pads from Opera house for around 1700 (MRP of 3900) and installed them at my local garage.
Wow, 1700Rs? Wish I knew this before. As you might remember I had paid 5500 in Dec for the front pad set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The car feels amazingly smooth to drive now.
Thats great. Hope to check it out soon.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 16:52   #1605
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wow, 1700Rs? Wish I knew this before. As you might remember I had paid 5500 in Dec for the front pad set.


Thats great. Hope to check it out soon.
Yes, I remember that.
Even I was shocked to hear this difference. As mentioned earlier, I am never buying any spares from Honda unless its an emergency.

However there are many brake pads available in the market. The ones I got have Honda stamped on the metal braces, just like the OE ones.
There are Nissin branded pads available too, they are around 2100 INR.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 4th May 2011 at 16:57.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1155 5th December 2016 21:02
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks