Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 09:20   #2176
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,641
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Now a Civic Blackberry group. Scan the bar code to join.
If anyone sets up a Civic Android group I may be interested.

Frankly, now the top three OSes for smartphones are Android, Apple & Blackberry. So we should also have groups for the other two. Windows is a minor player though with Nokia's intention of dropping Symbian and switching to Windows for smartphones one never knows.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 11:14   #2177
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Whats app also is a good idea too.
For now we've made a blackberry group for faster access to Civic owner's about discussions, meets etc.

Also we were to have a CIVIC photoshoot today which we will postpone to another time. Due to rains.

Just a hint of wht it will be like.
Can't wait for this. But the rains gods are not relenting, its best to do this post monsoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
If anyone sets up a Civic Android group I may be interested.

Frankly, now the top three OSes for smartphones are Android, Apple & Blackberry..
Totally with you on this prof! But considering we have a huge number of BB users in India we may have to use/follow 2 groups. Thats where whatsapp can come in.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 15:46   #2178
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,582
Thanked: 122 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Can't wait for this. But the rains gods are not relenting, its best to do this post monsoon?
We Will try and do this on an regular basis. For now the photoshoot at BKC, Mumbai. and then maybe a Drive to lonavala or so.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 15:51   #2179
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,864 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I hear that after 2009 & above models of Civic have stiffened rear suspension which no longer bottoms out with 5 people on board/luggage in the boot.

So when its time to replace the rear suspension of my 2007 Civic, will Honda install the new stiffened suspension? How many kms will my existing rear suspension last before needing a replacement? How much does changing the rear suspension cost in the Civic?

Rear suspension bottoming out with 5 people on board + luggage in the boot is the only irritant in my Civic and I'm very eager to get rid of the problem.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 17:13   #2180
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I am thinking of changing the engine oil of my car for the time being before i go in for the major 40 k service.My car has done 36.7k and it will take a while for me to reach 40K.So what brand and grade oil i can use.I am only for mineral oil and live in mumbai city.


thanks a lot.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 17:33   #2181
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Rear suspension bottoming out with 5 people on board + luggage in the boot is the only irritant in my Civic and I'm very eager to get rid of the problem.
Could not agree with you more. This is perhaps the biggest and the only grouse on an otherwise wonderful machine.

Last I checked, the facelifted suspension will not fit our older Civic's as the mounting points are different.
How much has your car done? I am sure the suspension is good till atleast 50k KMS. And even at that point I feel it would be too early to change the suspension.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 17:44   #2182
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,864 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post

Last I checked, the facelifted suspension will not fit our older Civic's as the mounting points are different.
How much has your car done? I am sure the suspension is good till atleast 50k KMS. And even at that point I feel it would be too early to change the suspension.
My car has done 48,000 kms so far and I'm unfortunately not hearing any squeak from the rear suspension yet - that means its good to go for a lot more kms.

I do not mind changing those mounting points either - if it doesn't cost too much, of course. I do highway runs once in 3 or 4 months with 5 people on board, and that's when I feel the need to get rid of this problem.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 18:50   #2183
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,629
Thanked: 445 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I am thinking of changing the engine oil of my car for the time being before i go in for the major 40 k service.My car has done 36.7k and it will take a while for me to reach 40K.So what brand and grade oil i can use.I am only for mineral oil and live in mumbai city.


thanks a lot.
Why not drive up to the Honda A.S.S
you can check them out, get a feel of the place.
Get your oil changed. and see if you are happy with them.
You can also see how they work on the other cars in the workshop.
If you like it, then you know where to go for your 40K major service.
If not, you only pay for the oil and labour and drive out, with the knowledge that these guys are not for you, and you can look elsewhere for where to do your 40K service.
Mineral oil change should set you back by around 900 odd.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 18:54   #2184
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Why not drive up to the Honda A.S.S
you can check them out, get a feel of the place.
Get your oil changed. and see if you are happy with them.
You can also see how they work on the other cars in the workshop.
If you like it, then you know where to go for your 40K major service.
If not, you only pay for the oil and labour and drive out, with the knowledge that these guys are not for you, and you can look elsewhere for where to do your 40K service.
Mineral oil change should set you back by around 900 odd.
Precisely what i had in mind mdsaab :-). But still need to know what grade oil and brand to go incase i decide to go the independant garage way.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 20:32   #2185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi Guys, I have a query.

Our civic has run 29k kms. When I go in stop and go traffic(half clutching conditions for some 5 to 10 minutes) I hear a 'krrr' sound from the clutch. It goes away when driven without riding the clutch for some time. Does it mean the clutch is nearing the end of its life? Anybody have any experince with this?
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 22:46   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,864 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
Hi Guys, I have a query.

Our civic has run 29k kms. When I go in stop and go traffic(half clutching conditions for some 5 to 10 minutes) I hear a 'krrr' sound from the clutch. It goes away when driven without riding the clutch for some time. Does it mean the clutch is nearing the end of its life? Anybody have any experince with this?
Welcome to the club - its a common problem with Civics.

Sushrutha's recommendation is to use WD40 lubricant spray on the area where the clutch pedal sinks into the floor. However, WD40 is not available easily in hardware stores.

Instead, buy Zorrik 88 lubricant spray - made by Pidilite Industries, the makers of Fevicol - from a hardware store. Spray generously into the "hole" that the clutch pedal sinks into - works like charm!
smartcat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 06:11   #2187
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Does anybody know what happens if wheel bearings fail? I am getting a whirring noise at speeds above 20kmph. Nothing while idling. From some Civic forums I could gather the sound could be of wheel bearing noise.
I will take the car to the HASS but if anybody experienced bearing failure it will be helpful to have some information on the symptoms and the other cost.
Does the noise volume increase after 20km or stays constant? Does it have a high low frequency? It can be worn out brake system also. I have been in an Accord whose wheel bearings had busted. The noise was unbearable once car would cross 30mph.


Posting a video from Youtube exhibiting wheel bearing noise.



Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My car has done 48,000 kms so far and I'm unfortunately not hearing any squeak from the rear suspension yet - that means its good to go for a lot more kms.

I do not mind changing those mounting points either - if it doesn't cost too much, of course. I do highway runs once in 3 or 4 months with 5 people on board, and that's when I feel the need to get rid of this problem.
If you are willing to tweak with the suspension, why not give a thought to coil adjusters or Konis (even better). Coil adjusters seems to have given people some relief. Konis are more expensive; last time I checked, they were priced at 55k including installation in Pune.

Last edited by dot : 2nd August 2011 at 06:26.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:02   #2188
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,641
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Rear suspension bottoming out with 5 people on board + luggage in the boot is the only irritant in my Civic and I'm very eager to get rid of the problem.
There is a relatively cheaper fix http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-16.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

This effectively blanks out one coil for large excursions. Cheap but reportedly effective.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:32   #2189
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 829
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I do not mind changing those mounting points either - if it doesn't cost too much, of course. I do highway runs once in 3 or 4 months with 5 people on board, and that's when I feel the need to get rid of this problem.
If you're not hearing anything and the suspension is not giving you any other complaints then they should be alright.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There is a relatively cheaper fix http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ension-16.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

This effectively blanks out one coil for large excursions. Cheap but reportedly effective.
You're right prof, I've got these on my car and I'm relatively happy with them. Its cheap, and fully reversible if you're not happy with it and that too within minutes.

They have reduced the bottoming out to fair extent but not totally eliminated them.
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:43   #2190
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,641
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Precisely what i had in mind mdsaab :-). But still need to know what grade oil and brand to go incase i decide to go the independant garage way.
You can always ask the service advisor at the A.S.C.

OR

simply look it up in the owner's manual. The relevant information can be found in the "Engine and Transmission' section and will be cross referenced under 'Fluids' and 'Maintenance Schedule'.

OR

Read up in the back pages of this thread / lubricating oils threads in the forum.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1156 7th December 2016 09:12
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks