Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 12:07   #3046
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 229 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

See my replies in bold. - My views entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Today I gave my Civic for 35K service. There were not major issues or niggles but I need clarification on some points,

1. Service advisor was insisting on compulsory Engine dressing which costs INR 650/-. I denied it but I just want to know whether it is really necessary. Not at all. This is ploy by some A.S.S. Your choice.

2. My OE head unit is reading and playing tracks normally but its not switching discs. Honda A.S.S quoted 4K for addressing the same. Are there any other options? Depends if you have decent local chap or not. My chap says it is a Clarion Unit and he can fix it, if anything goes wrong. Touch wood, so far so good.

3. I have a slightly damaged front bumper and small dents & scratches all over the body. Should I be going in for reputed private garage or give it at Honda A.S.S? anyway I planning to claim insurance. If you are planning to go for insurance then give it to A.S.S. Again depends whether you know decent local chap or not.

Please advice.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 12:27   #3047
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
Service advisor was insisting on compulsory Engine dressing which costs INR 650/-. I denied it but I just want to know whether it is really necessary.

I have a slightly damaged front bumper and small dents & scratches all over the body. Should I be going in for reputed private garage or give it at Honda A.S.S? anyway I planning to claim insurance.

Please advice.
In 5 years and 1 lakh kms I have never done 'Engine dressing", so it might be a waste of money. Anyway as part of the service they do a water-wash including the engine bay which makes it sparkling clean, and the cost is already included in the basic amount.

Regarding the bumper I also have a lot of minor scratches and dents. The Civic bumper is soft and even if it deforms, can be pushed back in place. So unless the dent is major I would leave it as it is.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 19:04   #3048
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 711 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofreak View Post
2. My OE head unit is reading and playing tracks normally but its not switching discs. Honda A.S.S quoted 4K for addressing the same. Are there any other options?
As far as I understand, it is an Alpine unit. To change the 6 CD changer carousel, it does cost around 4k, even from outside Honda folks.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 22:46   #3049
BHPian
 
autofreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Thanjavur > Coimbatore > Hyderabad
Posts: 37
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks a ton guys.

Got the car back from service. Bill was INR 2675 inclusive of taxes. But again servicing was 900, battery checkup was 25 and I also went in for interior cleaning as my boot was stinking badly because of milk spill which kicked the bill by +1500. Overall satisfied.

Two things pending
- Dents and scratches to be touched up. Looking awkward on premium car. Found a reputed private garage, hope to get it done by next week.
- I have XCar link so USB/SD/Bluetooth/Aux link eliminates the need. CD changer carousel probably not required at this cost. Just thought if its cheaper, the car would be out of niggles.
autofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 23:16   #3050
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 427
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

After market mounting is any good ? Getting it for 3k as compared to Honda 9k, really fed up of mounting, i'm replacing it 3rd time

Clutch feels hard according to service advisor, clutch hard won't bother me so it's advisable to opted for overhaul ? any harm in continue with this condition ?
Clutch over haul costs 17k or 12k ?
whats the price for first axle ?

Last edited by unknown : 24th March 2012 at 23:19.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 16:34   #3051
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
After market mounting is any good ? Getting it for 3k as compared to Honda 9k, really fed up of mounting, i'm replacing it 3rd time
Is that a hydraulic mount or a normal rubber mount. Although a normal rubber mount wont do any harm, you will feel a little vibration in the car compared to a normal car on hydraulic mount. Try getting a hydraulic mount from aftermarket, ACE_F355 got it for around 4-4.5k I believe. If not, you can try the normal rubber mount and if you are not satisfied you can go for the hydraulic mount in some time.


Quote:
Clutch feels hard according to service advisor, clutch hard won't bother me so it's advisable to opted for overhaul ? any harm in continue with this condition ?
Is the clutch slipping or do you find it only hard. When did you change the clutch oil. Even if you did change it recently, try bleeding the clutch assembly and spray the clutch pedal in the foot well and in clutch lever under the hood (in the transmission bay, ASC should know) with WD40, similar spray. You should do fine.

If the clutch is slipping, you got to change it. I think someone posted 12k here for clutch overhaul.

Quote:
whats the price for first axle ?
What do you mean by first axle, are you talking about the front axles?

If it is, be ready to shell some good cash for the same. my guess, it should be anywhere between 30-50k each. Better option would be to check with a good axle repair shop and get a new CV joint (but be careful with the ABS sensor gear on the axle end). Should cost about 4-5k or so.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th March 2012 at 16:40.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 20:42   #3052
BHPian
 
m-hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi,
Has anyone changed steering ball joints. My car hasnt done much on odo only 42k but is a 2006 model was making khat khat noise on bad roads it was especially during slow speeds hence my old trusted mechanic adviced changing steering ball joint replacement which i did but since the change the car s handling isnt confidince inspiring and today took it for alignment my alignment guy who happens to be a dear friend too said the new steering ball joint isnt same as old slightly bigger (or he said smaller cant recollect) hence tyres are slightly inward ! Now in this fix dont know how to proceed further.Can anyone put light to the matter or guide me how to proceed further ?
P.S. The spare was acquired from a trusted source at Opera House Mumbai .

Last edited by m-hawk : 25th March 2012 at 20:44.
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 21:02   #3053
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
Has anyone changed steering ball joints.
Its always advisable to take the original ball joint and match it with the aftermarket one, especially if you cannot replace it later. Also, its always advisable to replace both ball joints rather than one. I would say, try to change the ball joint if you can and get an original one from aftermarket, if you dont get it, replace the other ball joint with the aftermarket ball joint and see if it can help. If not, you are left with no other option than to replace both ball joints at Honda.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 25th March 2012 at 21:03.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 21:33   #3054
BHPian
 
m-hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mumbai
Posts: 217
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Its always advisable to take the original ball joint and match it with the aftermarket one, especially if you cannot replace it later. Also, its always advisable to replace both ball joints rather than one. I would say, try to change the ball joint if you can and get an original one from aftermarket, if you dont get it, replace the other ball joint with the aftermarket ball joint and see if it can help. If not, you are left with no other option than to replace both ball joints at Honda.
Gaurav ,
I have replaced it in a pair buddy.just went through my post it does sound like have replaced one my bad . But i have replaced both of them .

Last edited by m-hawk : 25th March 2012 at 21:36.
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 22:47   #3055
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 427
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Is that a hydraulic mount or a normal rubber mount. Although a normal rubber mount wont do any harm, you will feel a little vibration in the car compared to a normal car on hydraulic mount. Try getting a hydraulic mount from aftermarket, ACE_F355 got it for around 4-4.5k I believe. If not, you can try the normal rubber mount and if you are not satisfied you can go for the hydraulic mount in some time.
It's a hydraulic mount according to shop guy, service guys last time told mounting need replacement, today I went to hass to get it replaced they did some nut tighting & said it's fine & they didn't replace it



Quote:
Is the clutch slipping or do you find it only hard. When did you change the clutch oil. Even if you did change it recently, try bleeding the clutch assembly and spray the clutch pedal in the foot well and in clutch lever under the hood (in the transmission bay, ASC should know) with WD40, similar spray. You should do fine.

If the clutch is slipping, you got to change it. I think someone posted 12k here for clutch overhaul.
According to sa guy they said clutch is hard (I have no problem with it) I didn't change the clutch oil yet, I requested to bled the clutch but they said no need to do that, I have been quote 17k for clutch overhaul.

Is clutch hard is responsible for low mileage ?


Quote:
What do you mean by first axle, are you talking about the front axles?

If it is, be ready to shell some good cash for the same. my guess, it should be anywhere between 30-50k each. Better option would be to check with a good axle repair shop and get a new CV joint (but be careful with the ABS sensor gear on the axle end). Should cost about 4-5k or so.
Sorry, that was an typo, yes you guessed it right i meant front axle
sa guys inspected seal & axle boot leakage.
From after market axle costs around 4-5k only.
Need assistance whether i should buy from after market or it can be repaired ?
I have been told 16k for LHS axle from HASS

Ps: Tak tak kind of noise is from mounting or from axle ? Sound comes while turning.
Thanks
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 23:26   #3056
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,256
Thanked: 4,854 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post


According to sa guy they said clutch is hard (I have no problem with it) I didn't change the clutch oil yet, I requested to bled the clutch but they said no need to do that, I have been quote 17k for clutch overhaul.

Is clutch hard is responsible for low mileage ?
Yes. My city mileage fell to 8 kmpl from 9 kmpl because of worn out clutch. That's probably because when the clutch doesn't bite well, you tend to rev harder than usual to get going from standstill or in rush hour traffic.

Yes, and the other symptom of a worn out clutch is that it becomes very hard. Normal Civic clutch is butter smooth/soft.

Do this on a level road: Start the engine, depress the clutch pedal, shift to the first gear from neutral and release the clutch pedal (WITHOUT pressing the accelerator). If the car is UNABLE to pull ahead cleanly without stalling (or almost stalling), then that clutch definitely needs replacement.

Not sure what "clutch overhaul" is. My SA charged me Rs. 12K for a new clutch assembly (basically replaced 3 or 4 clutch components).
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 00:05   #3057
BHPian
 
unknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 427
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Yes. My city mileage fell to 8 kmpl from 9 kmpl because of worn out clutch. That's probably because when the clutch doesn't bite well, you tend to rev harder than usual to get going from standstill or in rush hour traffic.

Yes, and the other symptom of a worn out clutch is that it becomes very hard. Normal Civic clutch is butter smooth/soft.

Do this on a level road: Start the engine, depress the clutch pedal, shift to the first gear from neutral and release the clutch pedal (WITHOUT pressing the accelerator). If the car is UNABLE to pull ahead cleanly without stalling (or almost stalling), then that clutch definitely needs replacement.

Not sure what "clutch overhaul" is. My SA charged me Rs. 12K for a new clutch assembly (basically replaced 3 or 4 clutch components).
Okay I'll try out what you suggested mate to see if car moves without acceleration or not.

Change of 3-4 components is called clutch overhaul mate.
Thanks !

Last edited by unknown : 26th March 2012 at 00:06.
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 01:57   #3058
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
It's a hydraulic mount according to shop guy, service guys last time told mounting need replacement, today I went to hass to get it replaced they did some nut tighting & said it's fine & they didn't replace it
If the nut was not torqued properly, that could have been the issue. However, if you would need a new mount in future, you should definitely check the aftermarket hydraulic mount.


Quote:
According to sa guy they said clutch is hard (I have no problem with it) I didn't change the clutch oil yet, I requested to bled the clutch but they said no need to do that, I have been quote 17k for clutch overhaul.

Is clutch hard is responsible for low mileage ?
A hard hydraulic clutch does not necessarily mean a kaput clutch. It could be possible that there is air in the clutch lines which makes it hard. Also, bad condition of clutch oil could be an issue. 1st get the clutch oil changed, I believe that should sort the hardness issue. Normally, low milage is a sympton of a worn off clutch, despite fuel filter, spark plugs and injectors are in proper condition. First check these and then look for a clutch change. You can rule out spark plugs as those in civic normally last about 100k kms, but still it wont take long to take them out and inspect them. Get the injectors cleaned and get a new fuel filter, if you have not got it changed ever. In btw, whats the OD reading on your car?

Also, take a second opinion for clutch, if the second source also claims that the clutch is done, better to replace it before it damages the flywheel.


Quote:
Sorry, that was an typo, yes you guessed it right i meant front axle
sa guys inspected seal & axle boot leakage.
From after market axle costs around 4-5k only.
Need assistance whether i should buy from after market or it can be repaired ?
I have been told 16k for LHS axle from HASS

Ps: Tak tak kind of noise is from mounting or from axle ? Sound comes while turning.
Tak tak noise while turning is definitely axle. 16K for axle is not bad, believe me. That of a cedia costs 45k and that of a i10 or santro automatic costs 22k (I read somewhere here on team bhp). Most of the parts prices of cedia are under that of civic, for eg, steering assembly of civic costs 48k, that of cedia costs 35k; front pads of civic costs 5200, that of cedia costs 3400, clutch assembly of cedia costs 9k including labout, that of civic costs 12k. Thats why I though that axle should also be expensive, as it is for cedia.

Check the supplier name of aftermarket axle, google it, if its a reputed name, BUY IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
Change of 3-4 components is called clutch overhaul mate.
True, normally its clutch plate, pressure plate and clutch release bearing that are changed. Condition of flywheel and its bearing is checked and replaced if needed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
I have replaced it in a pair buddy.just went through my post it does sound like have replaced one my bad . But i have replaced both of them .
In this case, you will need to get them changed again, if you have originals and want to check in the aftermarket again, take the originals, match them with the aftermarket ball joints and get them. Else, its best to get help from ASC.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th March 2012 at 02:11.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 11:21   #3059
Senior - BHPian
 
danlalan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: mumbai,JUHU
Posts: 1,582
Thanked: 122 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Where can i source the xcar link for the honda civic?
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 11:33   #3060
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@ autofreak
the Xlink does it charge ipod ?
and by installing Xlink is the CD changer usage option discarded ?
i mean can we switch between Xlink and CD changer if we want to use CD instead of ipod/SD

@dan
if xlink does charge ipod i might be getting it shipped from china.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 26th March 2012 at 11:37.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1156 7th December 2016 09:12
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks