Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:46   #3556
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankjha1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: BLR/Gurgaon
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 815 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The recent accident makes me think how do i increase the headlamps rance in my Civic. I saw some HID bulbs and some other headlamp bulbs at the dealership which can increase the range/throw and not void warranty.

Anyone else has dealt with this problem before or has any ideas/suggestions. I looked at this at dealership.

honda civic bulbs osram | eBay
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:09   #3557
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The recent accident makes me think how do i increase the headlamps rance in my Civic. I saw some HID bulbs and some other headlamp bulbs at the dealership which can increase the range/throw and not void warranty.

Anyone else has dealt with this problem before or has any ideas/suggestions. I looked at this at dealership.

honda civic bulbs osram | eBay

Hey for the problem of low headlight throw and how to increase it, Had the same problem and solved it completely atleast till my satisfaction without HiD

Refer my post #3015 in this very thread on page no 201
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 12:28   #3558
BHPian
 
s.prashanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 358
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Got the car back costed 11655 for the clutch job and the engine mounting was also changed under warranty. Car feel super smooth and quieter then earlier
Was informed that the engine bedding is being changed as per Honda directions even in cars outside warranty.My car was also outside warranty.
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 13:04   #3559
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Got the car back costed 11655 for the clutch job and the engine mounting was also changed under warranty. Car feel super smooth and quieter then earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Was informed that the engine bedding is being changed as per Honda directions even in cars outside warranty.My car was also outside warranty.

Am i getting it wrong?

Can you please tell us what exactly was changed under warranty and what did you pay for?

Basically i just want to be sure that i am not missing out on something.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 21:57   #3560
BHPian
 
s.prashanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 358
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

The engine mounting was changed under warranty. Eventhough my car was out of warranty .I was surprised, later informed it is as per Honda directions.
s.prashanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:54   #3561
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 225
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My Aug 2006 AT car at 51000 kms has started to stall in a stop-go traffic. The RPM drops to 400-500 and recovers back at 800 RPM. The car judders during this transition. It will happen when I come to an absolute halt in "D/S" mode using brakes and then remove foot from brakes and start pressing accelerator. As I start pressing accelerator, there is initial hesitation (The above stalling) and then usual acceleration. The pretensioner unit is still faulty with the grr-grr noise and has a slight play. Any pointers ?
Also, the FE has dropped (250 kms on 35 litres). it used to be 320-350 in usual bangalore traffic. Should I go for throttle body cleaning also ?

Last edited by devsoftech : 24th July 2012 at 23:57.
devsoftech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 01:39   #3562
Senior - BHPian
 
gaurav_chopra04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,249
Thanked: 493 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
My Aug 2006 AT car at 51000 kms has started to stall in a stop-go traffic. The RPM drops to 400-500 and recovers back at 800 RPM. The car judders during this transition.
Get the Air mass sensor cleaned. the problem will go away.

Quote:
Also, the FE has dropped (250 kms on 35 litres). it used to be 320-350 in usual bangalore traffic. Should I go for throttle body cleaning also ?

you may also want to get the throttle body cleaned, but main thing to check for FE would be injectors, fuel filter and spark plugs.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 09:04   #3563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 123
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
The engine mounting was changed under warranty. Eventhough my car was out of warranty .I was surprised, later informed it is as per Honda directions.
Its good that Honda is taking proactive steps like this. Did you have a chance to find out whether these directions are for any particular model years.
Arun Venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 10:12   #3564
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 225
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Get the Air mass sensor cleaned. the problem will go away.
Thanks for the inputs, will get a checkup done this weekend.

I'm attaching my today's trip log (OBD-II logged over bluetooth via android's torque app)
Can someone look into the same and share their findings/benchmark against their data. It was a cold start and 16 kms run.

torque_log.xls

Right click the above link and use "Save-As" option. On some browsers the attachment may open up as junk.

Last edited by devsoftech : 25th July 2012 at 10:15.
devsoftech is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 11:15   #3565
Senior - BHPian
 
KSM-Vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MH-02-India-Bombay-Bandra
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 437 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun Venugopal View Post
Its good that Honda is taking proactive steps like this. Did you have a chance to find out whether these directions are for any particular model years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
The engine mounting was changed under warranty. Eventhough my car was out of warranty .I was surprised, later informed it is as per Honda directions.
So i am guessing that this should apply to all regions and all Civics sold irrespective of the year. which year is your car?

Unfortunately i have already changed my mount and i was asked to pay for it. Hope nothing happens to it again, but if it does i surly dont want to pay for it if what you are saying is true for all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
I'm attaching my today's trip log (OBD-II logged over bluetooth via android's torque app)
Can someone look into the same and share their findings/benchmark against their data. It was a cold start and 16 kms run.
Interesting! Which bluetooth dongle are you using? have been thinking of getting one since a long time.

What i have in mind is this... OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Also i hope this problem you are facing has nothing to do with this OBD experiment.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 25th July 2012 at 11:20.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 13:00   #3566
BHPian
 
devsoftech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 225
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Interesting! Which bluetooth dongle are you using? have been thinking of getting one since a long time.

What i have in mind is this... OBDII Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Cable - Black + Blue + Orange (DC 12V) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

Also i hope this problem you are facing has nothing to do with this OBD experiment.
OBD experiment has lot of valuable information, because there are pointers above that I should get the MAF sensor checked. So real world values while facing such problems will help in debugging which sensor is faulty. I did that run with the intent that I can validate my parameters with someone who has a healthy system

I bought the bluetooth adapter from ebay (Search for ELM327 BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER VAG-COM CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL) for 1800. Cart2india was the seller. There may be other vendors too. Got the product imported from US within a week. Actually the seller shops from Amazon and ships to India/clears customs.
devsoftech is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:14   #3567
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 726
Thanked: 347 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsoftech View Post
I bought the bluetooth adapter from ebay (Search for ELM327 BLUETOOTH OBDII OBD2 DIAGNOSTIC SCANNER VAG-COM CAN ELM 327 SCANTOOL) for 1800. Cart2india was the seller. There may be other vendors too. Got the product imported from US within a week. Actually the seller shops from Amazon and ships to India/clears customs.
Thanks mate. Cart2india sells it for Rs.2344/- now. On ebay.com it is quite cheap including shipping to India. Can you please confirm if this the one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bluetoot...f1996b41d#shId



Last edited by mukeshgoel : 25th July 2012 at 14:16.
mukeshgoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:21   #3568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 123
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Have recently brought over my car to Mumbai and it is due for a service. Can someone please recommend any Honda service centre which is fairly reliable and does a decent job. Have seen some horror stories on callous service centres on some threads which are more interested in ripping off customers. I stay in south Mumbai, any reliable ones closely? Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Arun Venugopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 12:40   #3569
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Hi folks.
I have a Honda Civic 1.8 S AT 2006.
The car has recently done 100000 on the odo.

It was previously used by my dad to compute from Pitampura to his office in Gurgoun , which was like a 100 km drive in the car daily.

Now the car, is rearly used, say about 150-200 km a month on an average.
It stays at home mostly.

Due to this sudden change in the running pattern , i have experienced few problems with the car.

Firstly, the battery got dead.
Which was to happen, so i got a new battery for it.

Secondly, the steering for the car became hard one sudden day. I took the car to ring road honda and the diagnosed that there is some problem in the steering pump and it is leaking, therefore it has to be changed.
They gave me an estimate of 25-30 thousand.
The replacement of the part is due for this sunday, as the part wasn't available.

Thirdly, one thing that i noticed yesterday was, there is a massive decline in the fuel economy.
There is such a big impact that i loose 1unit on the fuel gauge for every 7-8 kms travelled, sometimes even before that.
As far as i know one unit on the civic's fuel gauge equals 2 litre of petrol. What i am getting is around 4 kmpl.
Previously i used to get around 10kmpl from the car.

What might be the cause ?

Is it the sudden change in the usage of the car , or is it something else ?
I am totally confused.


One more thing which i wanted to know was, can someone suggest me a good honda service station in north/west delhi.
I m fed up of Ring Road Honda Peeragari.

One last thing, i also need to get a duplicate key of the car made. I lost my remote key about 2 years back, and the car is still safe with me.
So all i need is a duplicate key for the car, rather than changing the whole lock set.
The representative at honda gave me a quote of Rs.8000 for just the key.
Its it a bit too high ?
Can someone suggest me with an alternative ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 17:45   #3570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 208
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Hi folks.
Thirdly, one thing that i noticed yesterday was, there is a massive decline in the fuel economy.
There is such a big impact that i loose 1unit on the fuel gauge for every 7-8 kms travelled, sometimes even before that.
As far as i know one unit on the civic's fuel gauge equals 2 litre of petrol. What i am getting is around 4 kmpl.
Previously i used to get around 10kmpl from the car.

What might be the cause ?
Measure fuel consumption using Tankful method using the same petrol pump (Find a pump like Shell that does not cheat you in Volume).Don't go by Units in Fuel gauge.Check the mileage preferably after Engine oil change on highway driving in day time with a constant speed of 80 KMPH without sudden acceleration or braking without AC.That should give you the optimistic mileage picture.Then do the same in City driving conditions with full AC.That should give you the lower limit of mileage.Then you know the Fuel efficiency band within which your car would operate.If the most optimistic figure is below 13/14 KMPL, get your car checked.My 2010 AT has given me 27 KMPL (Check previous posts for Photo proof) on a Fuel Efficiency test run.On normal driving in Highways (100 -110 KMPH speeds),I get 13/14 KMPL.

Cheers.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1156 7th December 2016 09:12
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks