Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 10:16   #3766
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
and there's a jerk and a sound when it shifts to R
I too get a small jerk and a click noise, which is normal.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 10:37   #3767
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,782
Thanked: 2,003 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You are pressing the brake properly and pressing the button on the gearshift fully right? The jerk which comes a moment after you put it into r or d is normal, happens in Hondas. Was the transmission oil changed?
I do that. I am just wondering if the brake and handbrake settings need to be adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I too get a small jerk and a click noise, which is normal.
My jerk varies from small at times to violent (one out of 5 times)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:30   #3768
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 327 Times
Arrow re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Does anyone face a slight difficulty when shifting the gear from P to R sometimes?? I find the lever being slightly harder to shift and there's a jerk and a sound when it shifts to R. Am I doing something wrong?
A small jerk when shifting quickly between forward (D/S) and reverse (R) and vice-versa is normal in all automatics. I have noticed this in Santro AT as well.

But, if the jerk is stronger and not consistent...it may indicate some issue (maybe to do with AT fluid ? ).

I have not noticed it much when shifting from P to R though.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th October 2012 at 12:33.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 13:48   #3769
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,644
Thanked: 3,059 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Remember ATs use spur gears and not helical gears which do not mesh as smoothly, so slight jerks have to be lived with.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 13:51   #3770
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,782
Thanked: 2,003 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

The jerk doesn't occur while the car is in motion. ONLY when I shift from P to R. The whole car shudders for that second and a loud noise is heard. As if the clutch was not fully depressed or the gear is being forcibly changed.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 14:06   #3771
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nasik / Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Did anybody managed to install a cabin/air/pollen filter for their civic ? I am planning to get one from US in my next trip. Hope that it fits for our model as well. Our models don't come with them. It is a simple DIY installation.
I got it installed at the SVC at the previous service. Its about the same price as the activated carbon one you *should* buy from US. The OE cabin air filter works well enough and blocks 90% of outside smells even in fresh air mode. Take the car to SVC, they will do the installation for free (if you are so lazy like me that you can't Do this simplest DIY ).
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 14:08   #3772
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,782
Thanked: 2,003 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I got my cooling coil replaced yesterday at my trusted AC mechanic and while doing that he checked and noticed that the filter was missing. He put a filter himself and told me it's better to have one in place to prevent stuff from getting into the ducts and damaging the cooling coil. It's very easy to put the filter, though.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 14:37   #3773
BHPian
 
Pashin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I have a couple of questions reg. the tyres for the Honda Civic :

1. 205/65/15 --> Is this a good upsize? Will it have any impact on the driveability/handling etc?

2. Tyre pressure for the stock 195/65/15 is mentioned as 30psi. Will it be the same if tyre is upsized to 205/65/15, or is it different ?

Thanks!
Hi

I have got 205/65/R15 (Primacy LC's) on my Civic since last 3-4 months and infact it rides better than the stock tyres.

Tyre pressure stays at 30psi

Regards

Pashin
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 16:30   #3774
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I got it installed at the SVC at the previous service. Its about the same price as the activated carbon one you *should* buy from US. The OE cabin air filter works well enough and blocks 90% of outside smells even in fresh air mode. Take the car to SVC, they will do the installation for free (if you are so lazy like me that you can't Do this simplest DIY ).
Thanks. Not sure what is SVC ? . How much did you pay for it here? Who sells it? My dealer was not aware. Which specific make/model is recommended? Does it affect the cooling speed?
vasoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 17:23   #3775
BHPian
 
sarathlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 965
Thanked: 1,927 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The jerk doesn't occur while the car is in motion. ONLY when I shift from P to R. The whole car shudders for that second and a loud noise is heard. As if the clutch was not fully depressed or the gear is being forcibly changed.
Am afraid to say, its not normal.

Between P - R - N - D, there will be small jerks, but these will be very minimal so that, if the brake is being applied, we will feel small jerks on the foot, that's all. No sound at all. Now if the car is cold, then an RPM jump in 800-1200 range can be observed across these shifts.

I think it will be better to have an SA check the car, just to be sure.
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 17:41   #3776
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,389
Thanked: 5,248 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The jerk doesn't occur while the car is in motion. ONLY when I shift from P to R. The whole car shudders for that second and a loud noise is heard. As if the clutch was not fully depressed or the gear is being forcibly changed.
Now that you didn't write earlier. For something like this I'd say take it to Honda and let them check it out. It could possible have something to do with the a/t oil, possible a wrong one has been put in. I've given you the person to speak to at Honda, please take it there asap.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 18:15   #3777
BHPian
 
Pashin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Does anyone face a slight difficulty when shifting the gear from P to R sometimes?? I find the lever being slightly harder to shift and there's a jerk and a sound when it shifts to R. Am I doing something wrong?
The Best way to find that out is to do it when the Car is turned off. You should hear a click when u press the brake, its basically the interlock between the brake and shifter.

If its hard to change to "R" from "P" when the car is turned off, then probably the interlock needs to be checked.

Regards

Pashin
Pashin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 19:01   #3778
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nasik / Pune
Posts: 404
Thanked: 534 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Thanks. Not sure what is SVC ? . How much did you pay for it here? Who sells it? My dealer was not aware. Which specific make/model is recommended? Does it affect the cooling speed?
SVC= Authorized Service Center

I got it installed at Deccan Honda, Pimpri. I don't know the make. I just checked for the filter, not the branding. Since it was working well, I did not bother

It costed me Rs.2400 including installation charges (pre-included in the cost of spare). If you buy from US, you can buy the one with activated carbon which will help clean the odors from the air better (smell of diesel smoke/rickshaw exhaust/open gutters etc. ). Costs about the same at about $45-48.

Cooling speed is not affected. Cools as fast even after installation. Though it may get affected when the filter gets clogged in due course (I don't know this for sure as of now).

Since the air gets cleaned from dust before reaching the cooling coils, it can also *potentially* help extend AC maintenance intervals.

If your dealer/SA doesn't know about it, open up the compartment behind the glovebox and ask him "What goes in here?". It hardly takes a second to open this up so wouldn't take you much time. I got mine from the Authorized service center, so there is no reason why you shouldn't get the same at yours.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 21:03   #3779
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,782
Thanked: 2,003 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Am afraid to say, its not normal.

Between P - R - N - D, there will be small jerks, but these will be very minimal so that, if the brake is being applied, we will feel small jerks on the foot, that's all. No sound at all. Now if the car is cold, then an RPM jump in 800-1200 range can be observed across these shifts.

I think it will be better to have an SA check the car, just to be sure.
There are no jerks otherwise. It's just a violent one when the car is cold. Or has been in P on an incline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Now that you didn't write earlier. For something like this I'd say take it to Honda and let them check it out. It could possible have something to do with the a/t oil, possible a wrong one has been put in. I've given you the person to speak to at Honda, please take it there asap.
I am sure it was changed at the service centre and is very healthy. But I can just drain it and get it replaced asap. Which synthetic oil is good for the AT box??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
The Best way to find that out is to do it when the Car is turned off. You should hear a click when u press the brake, its basically the interlock between the brake and shifter.

If its hard to change to "R" from "P" when the car is turned off, then probably the interlock needs to be checked.

Regards

Pashin

I am sure it's something to do with the interlock. Will investigate this soon..
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 22:37   #3780
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@frank

Just STICK to the OEM Grade of AT oil messing around with the grades of AT oil can result in transmission damage or failure and civics AT transmission is of 98,752.80rs (checked it today for hec of it)

Get the Tranny Oil changed In front of you at honda, Arya Honda claimed to change the tranny oil in my uncles civic but the oil was never changed it was just billed for, when we got it changed at Linkway the old Oil was thick and Black instead of being thin and red.

And civics gearbox uses Honda ATF Z1 oil which till date i have not been able to find anywhere except Honda and the one which i found was 2years old in manufacturing.
No other company produces this grade of oil and i think the OEM for the Honda ATFZ1 oil is Idemitsu but then again its oil is difficult to source.
and in the owners manual they have mentioned that to use only ATFZ1 and same an inside person from honda Noida had told me.

Last edited by jatinpatel : 4th October 2012 at 22:41.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1156 7th December 2016 09:12
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks