Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 13:54   #4111
BHPian
 
d_himan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 653
Thanked: 387 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I have a strange observation. My civic VAT, done 30k has started to have a blinking D light intermittently. I cannot reproduce the behavior on demand, but while crazing all of a sudden the green light next to D blinks. If i restart the car, it goes away. Not sure what's wrong. No other warning lights or issues. Any advice. I plan to take to service center this weekend. It's strange because 30k service was done 2 weeks back.
The D light blinking usually indicates a transmission issue. Please don't ignore the same and get it scanned immediately. Are you experiencing any jerky shifts/delay in engagement from P to D? Did A.S.S do any transmission related work during your 30K service?


Even though the light may go off with a restart/parking overnight, it will surely return with greater frequency and result in a failure as the KMs pile on.
I'm speaking from past experience when the same thing happened in my Accord (3rd gear slipped slightly after a 7 hour drive. When I drove again after parking it for half an hour, there was no indication at all. After 3/4 months, shifts were slightly delayed and jerky). I had to refurbish the AT box since some of the shift solenoids in the AT box were not performing optimally.

Hopefully, it will be something minor!
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 19:41   #4112
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
Guys i have attached a pic of the Civic's coolant reservoir and you can make out there are some coolant stains on same.I also found some coolant in small quantities deposited on the resevoir can.Is this any cause for concern?
Thanks
Fellow bhpian Jatin Patel sourced me a coolant cap for my Civic.Drove the car for a good 100Kms last weekend and opened the hood upon reaching home.The coolant bottle was dry as a bone with no traces of the coolant on the same.Excellent diagnosis by Jatin...thanks buddy .
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:26   #4113
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,246
Thanked: 4,787 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Just discovered that even a slight over-inflation of tyres messes up the ride quality of the Civic. After my 60,000 km service, I realized that the ride quality was very thrashy/crashy/bumpy. I thought the service center guys didn't do the wheel alignment properly. But yesterday, just before a long highway drive, I checked the air pressure and found 35 & 33 psi at front wheels. I got the air pressure down to 30 psi and now, the ride quality is back to its old self again.

If the ride quality is affected so much by the front tyre air pressure, I'm thinking of reducing it further to 28 psi when driving in the city - I rarely go over 60 kmph in the city limits anyway. Will 28 psi damage or reduce the strength of the sidewalls in the long run?
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 20:20   #4114
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Hi folks, I had a query on whether I can get a insurance claim for replacement of a part without any accident or damage to the car ?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic which recently came up with an issue related to the steering assembly.
The Honda Service Centre guys say that the bill can endup anywhere between 40,000 to 80,000 depending upon what part will be changed.

The main issue with the car is that, there is an oil leak from the steering pump, which was probably caused by a stone hitting the steering pump of the car.

So can I get an insurance claim if I get the pump or the steering assembly replaced from an Authorised Honda Service Centre ?
Or will I have to prove that the car met with an accident or something ?

Can anyone suggest me with a way out of this situation ?

Thanks.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 20:54   #4115
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Hi folks, I had a query on whether I can get a insurance claim for replacement of a part without any accident or damage to the car ?

I have a 2007 Honda Civic which recently came up with an issue related to the steering assembly.
The Honda Service Centre guys say that the bill can endup anywhere between 40,000 to 80,000 depending upon what part will be changed.

The main issue with the car is that, there is an oil leak from the steering pump, which was probably caused by a stone hitting the steering pump of the car.

So can I get an insurance claim if I get the pump or the steering assembly replaced from an Authorised Honda Service Centre ?
Or will I have to prove that the car met with an accident or something ?

Can anyone suggest me with a way out of this situation ?

Thanks.

I think insurance has a own damage clause which you could use but not sure.One of the bhpians had his Civic's a/c condensor damaged by a stone and was able to claim insurance regarding same.You should talk to your service advisor regarding same.However..my strongest advice is to take a second opinion from a reputed garage since the amount stated by HASS is huge.Do not at any cost blindly trust HASS. Please go and get the car checked from a good garage and see what they have to say about same.I have had lousy experience with HASS where they diagnosed a leaking PS (power steering) hose with a problem with the PS itself when all it needed was a change of the PS hose.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th January 2013 at 21:00.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 21:32   #4116
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

I think insurance has a own damage clause which you could use but not sure.One of the bhpians had his Civic's a/c condensor damaged by a stone and was able to claim insurance regarding same.You should talk to your service advisor regarding same.However..my strongest advice is to take a second opinion from a reputed garage since the amount stated by HASS is huge.Do not at any cost blindly trust HASS. Please go and get the car checked from a good garage and see what they have to say about same.I have had lousy experience with HASS where they diagnosed a leaking PS (power steering) hose with a problem with the PS itself when all it needed was a change of the PS hose.
Thanks sumeet

Actually I first got the car checked at Ring Road Honda Peeragari, and the diagnosed that the pump is leaking and the pump and the pipe needs to be replaced. Moreover there are chances that the steering assembly might need a replacement as well depending upon the condition once they open it up.
For a second advice I took the car to Automax Honda Mayapuri, and they said that it's only the pipe that needs a replacement which costs Rs. 35000 which I found too high for a pipe.
So then I took the car to a local workshop in Rohini who sourced me a second hand pipe from another civic for Rs.19000.
The car ran fine for about a month or two but when I got the car serviced again at Ring Road Honda, they again diagnosed a leak in the pipe from the steering pump.
Now the thing is that I don't trust the local guy I got the job done and I don't wanna put in more cash and end up ruining my car, but on the other hand the quote that Honda A$$ is giving is too high, so I m looking for an alternative and an insurance claim was the first thing that came to my mind.

What exactly should I do now ?
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 22:39   #4117
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Thanks sumeet

Actually I first got the car checked at Ring Road Honda Peeragari, and the diagnosed that the pump is leaking and the pump and the pipe needs to be replaced. Moreover there are chances that the steering assembly might need a replacement as well depending upon the condition once they open it up.
For a second advice I took the car to Automax Honda Mayapuri, and they said that it's only the pipe that needs a replacement which costs Rs. 35000 which I found too high for a pipe.
So then I took the car to a local workshop in Rohini who sourced me a second hand pipe from another civic for Rs.19000.
The car ran fine for about a month or two but when I got the car serviced again at Ring Road Honda, they again diagnosed a leak in the pipe from the steering pump.
Now the thing is that I don't trust the local guy I got the job done and I don't wanna put in more cash and end up ruining my car, but on the other hand the quote that Honda A$$ is giving is too high, so I m looking for an alternative and an insurance claim was the first thing that came to my mind.

What exactly should I do now ?
19000 for a used pipe i hope it's a typo. The feeder pipe (not sure which pipe of your car is leaking) which was replaced in my car was priced at 10K at HASS and i was able to source same from outside for 5.2K Please let us know which pipe leaked so that someone if not me could be able to guide you on this thread.

Try looking up a good garage here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-ncr/

Also for the insurance way i am posting a link from bhpian sgiitk's thread (hope you don't mind sir).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2621850 (Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver)
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 23:13   #4118
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

19000 for a used pipe i hope it's a typo. The feeder pipe (not sure which pipe of your car is leaking) which was replaced in my car was priced at 10K at HASS and i was able to source same from outside for 5.2K Please let us know which pipe leaked so that someone if not me could be able to guide you on this thread.

Try looking up a good garage here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-ncr/

Also for the insurance way i am posting a link from bhpian sgiitk's thread (hope you don't mind sir).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2621850 (Honda Civic V AT Alabaster Silver)
No it was not a typo
I genuinely paid 19000 for the pipe and few minor things with the steering assembly, I still have the bill with me.
What I am thinking is that i'll take the car to Auto Max Honda tomorrow because it's a more trusted workshop and get a through check of my car done along with the final estimate and then will share it here and decide what is to be done.

Will get a note of all the parts that need to be replaced.

As far as I remember the guy at ring road Honda told me that there is seal at the joint of the pump and the pipe which has broken because of which the pump needs a replacement as the seal doesn't come separately and is a part of the pump itself. He said that there are some minor cracks in the pipe as well so they needs to be replaced as well.

I don't know how far is he true, but for the past 1 week I haven't driven my car for this reason.
I did feel the steering getting hard when I took the car back after servicing.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 23:35   #4119
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
No it was not a typo
I genuinely paid 19000 for the pipe and few minor things with the steering assembly, I still have the bill with me.
What I am thinking is that i'll take the car to Auto Max Honda tomorrow because it's a more trusted workshop and get a through check of my car done along with the final estimate and then will share it here and decide what is to be done.

Will get a note of all the parts that need to be replaced.

As far as I remember the guy at ring road Honda told me that there is seal at the joint of the pump and the pipe which has broken because of which the pump needs a replacement as the seal doesn't come separately and is a part of the pump itself. He said that there are some minor cracks in the pipe as well so they needs to be replaced as well.

I don't know how far is he true, but for the past 1 week I haven't driven my car for this reason.
I did feel the steering getting hard when I took the car back after servicing.
I remember this thread on a Accord with a similar issue. It might be of some help to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-problem.html (*Sorted* - 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Problem)
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 23:39   #4120
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 784
Thanked: 125 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

No it was not a typo
I genuinely paid 19000 for the pipe and few minor things with the steering assembly, I still have the bill with me.
What I am thinking is that i'll take the car to Auto Max Honda tomorrow because it's a more trusted workshop and get a through check of my car done along with the final estimate and then will share it here and decide what is to be done.

Will get a note of all the parts that need to be replaced.

As far as I remember the guy at ring road Honda told me that there is seal at the joint of the pump and the pipe which has broken because of which the pump needs a replacement as the seal doesn't come separately and is a part of the pump itself. He said that there are some minor cracks in the pipe as well so they needs to be replaced as well.

I don't know how far is he true, but for the past 1 week I haven't driven my car for this reason.
I did feel the steering getting hard when I took the car back after servicing.
@satyamkaushik, at this point since you don't know any good mechanic, I'll second sumeets suggestion to look up a recommended guy from the t-bhp directory. If possible take a t-bhpian known to the mechanic along when you go for the first visit.

As for the guy you visited earlier, I'll say stay away. A hose costs ~5k here in Mumbai and the PS pump itself costs ~22k (there are 2 varieties so prices vary a bit). I know this as the PS pump in my civic had developed a slow leak and my trusty mechanic fixed it recently. Arya Honda here had quoted me 28k to replace the pump, I ended up spending less than a third of that.
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 23:40   #4121
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

I remember this thread on a Accord with a similar issue. It might be of some help to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...g-problem.html (*Sorted* - 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Problem)
Thanks a lot sumeet

This is exactly what was the issue that the Honda service station guys told me that the seal/ring is at fault and that needs a replacement which doesn't come lose so the pump it self would be replaced.

I will once take the car to Automax tomorrow and get this thing verified and if possible get the part no. As well and will look for it online.

Thanks once again.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 15:32   #4122
BHPian
 
satyamkaushik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 272
Thanked: 102 Times
Default

This is Just to update the current status on my car.

I took the car to Automax Honda today, the service advisor told me that the following parts need a replacement :

537132NBO43 (Pipe) - 9000 (approx)
06531RNA000 (Pump) - 12500 (approx)
1 litre Steering oil - 1000 (approx)

The total estimate that he gave me including tax and labour came out to be Rs.27000.

Apart from this he told me that the break pads on my car are also on the verge of replacement which would cost me another 7000 a pair.

As far as the insurance is concerned, he say that there is no way that I could get a claim for the Steering Pump because this caused by normal wear and tear of the car.
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 21:00   #4123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 551 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I posted this in my ownership thread yesterday and didn't get a reply. Only then it dawned on me that if it's a Civic, then this is the thread to go. So, here I go, again.

After continuous follow-ups, the parts I ordered for (Engine Mount & AC Relays) had finally arrived and I was getting regular calls over the past 10 days. Due to tight schedules at work, I couldn't take the car there. Now, I am in a dilemma.

Just as expected, the service personnel in the dealership are now going back on their commitment. They wouldn't replace it free of cost and want me to shell out Rs.8500 for the part. Except for hard thuds over big potholes in highways and a strictly average ride quality both of which are Civic trademarks, I am not facing any other problems with the car. After going through almost all the posts related to the hydraulic engine mounts in the forum, I have come to a conclusion that the hard thuds are indeed the problem of a faulty mount. When I say a hard thud, I mean it. The thud noises were experienced at speeds between 40 to 60 km/h and were huge as if the car is hitting something at the bottom. Is this how the faulty part shows up? Should I really spend and replace the part now? Or should I wait and watch?

The other thing is the AC problem. After a couple of 15 minute instances explained in the past, the AC has been working perfectly. I have decided to replace the relays as suggested by the SA (Cost of 1 is Rs.900 & 2 of them apparently needs replacement in my car). But the question is, how do I believe that it wouldn't crop up again? Is there anybody else in the forum who have experienced this problem? I tried searching the threads but couldn't find one.

I am looking at a hefty bill this time - Remote Key, Brake Pads, 50K Service along with the Hydraulic Engine Mount. Time to loosen (No! Tear open) the purse strings, this month!

As I am planning to visit the dealership tomorrow, quick replies would be useful.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 22:19   #4124
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I posted this in my ownership thread yesterday and didn't get a reply. Only then it dawned on me that if it's a Civic, then this is the thread to go. So, here I go, again.

After continuous follow-ups, the parts I ordered for (Engine Mount & AC Relays) had finally arrived and I was getting regular calls over the past 10 days. Due to tight schedules at work, I couldn't take the car there. Now, I am in a dilemma.

Just as expected, the service personnel in the dealership are now going back on their commitment. They wouldn't replace it free of cost and want me to shell out Rs.8500 for the part. Except for hard thuds over big potholes in highways and a strictly average ride quality both of which are Civic trademarks, I am not facing any other problems with the car. After going through almost all the posts related to the hydraulic engine mounts in the forum, I have come to a conclusion that the hard thuds are indeed the problem of a faulty mount. When I say a hard thud, I mean it. The thud noises were experienced at speeds between 40 to 60 km/h and were huge as if the car is hitting something at the bottom. Is this how the faulty part shows up? Should I really spend and replace the part now? Or should I wait and watch?

The other thing is the AC problem. After a couple of 15 minute instances explained in the past, the AC has been working perfectly. I have decided to replace the relays as suggested by the SA (Cost of 1 is Rs.900 & 2 of them apparently needs replacement in my car). But the question is, how do I believe that it wouldn't crop up again? Is there anybody else in the forum who have experienced this problem? I tried searching the threads but couldn't find one.

I am looking at a hefty bill this time - Remote Key, Brake Pads, 50K Service along with the Hydraulic Engine Mount. Time to loosen (No! Tear open) the purse strings, this month!

As I am planning to visit the dealership tomorrow, quick replies would be useful.
I remember reading somewhere that if one of the mount fails it will cause the others to fail as well eventually as the other 3 have to bear more weight of the engine .It's better to replace this crucial part for the sake of longevity of the car.If i were you i would the replace the mount first even if i had to pay for it since it a critical component.As for HASS not living up to the promise well nothing new here. Try talking with Honda one to one if you must.

Also if you don't want to burn a hole in the pocket at the same time i suggest you can distribute the cost(a practice i follow) over a period of time.Go in for the mount and brakes this month, and go for the rest in the next coming month.That way you may pay the same money but the time gap will help you absorb the impact.

BTW what is wrong with key.My remote key was not working properly and HASS wanted to replace it with a new one for 4.5K .I took the key home and opened it and found that the chasis on which the circuit board is held was mis-aligned which caused the buttons not be operated properly.I firmly pressed the chassis back in place and the remote is now working as good as new.This just shows how HASS loots it's customers.One more thing the original Honda brakes would cost a bomb.You can get aftermarket ones for a fraction of the cost provided that you have a reliable place to source them from.I am running Nissin brakes pads on the rear wheels which cost's me around 2.8 k including labour.

Good Luck man.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2013, 23:05   #4125
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 551 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I remember reading somewhere that if one of the mount fails it will cause the others to fail as well eventually as the other 3 have to bear more weight of the engine.
Yup, that's what I will be ending up doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
As for HASS not living up to the promise well nothing new here. Try talking with Honda one to one if you must.
I am already fed up, having spoken to them for atleast 4 to 5 times for this over the past few months. Let me see if it yields any result tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
i suggest you can distribute the cost(a practice i follow) over a period of time.
Thanks, that seems to be a good suggestion, but that would mean I will have to book an appointment and take the car again to the dealership very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
BTW what is wrong with key.
Though the screw was still perfectly tight, the two sides of the remote key fob developed a gap that allowed free movement of the two sides for about 2 mm. This was 6 to 7 months back. When I checked with H.A.S.S for repairing that, they flatly refused and suggested a new fob (Cost quoted was 4500). Last month, it stopped working all of a sudden. Now, it works once in a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I took the key home and opened it and found that the chasis on which the circuit board is held was mis-aligned which caused the buttons not be operated properly.I firmly pressed the chassis back in place and the remote is now working as good as new.
I tried opening and screwing it back once in vain, but your experience makes me want to try it yet again. Thanks again for your suggestions.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1153 4th December 2016 21:42
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks