Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2013, 01:01   #4891
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I have a technical question. Are the Civics and Accord's rear brake rotor/pad of the same size? I want to upgrade the brakes on my civic to bigger one for more stopping power. And I was wondering if the accord has bigger brake, and if so, can it fit into Civic too? Mine has 17" wheels and have rather plenty of space for much bigger brakes. The stock disc rotor/pad on the rear is small and is more obvious with the larger alloys. However, my main intention is to have better brakes without completely overhauling the whole braking systems (say with brembo or other expensive brands)
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013, 18:06   #4892
Senior - BHPian
 
ST7677's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I got my wheel balancing and alignment done today, but I am not satisfied with the results. The shop said this is the best that can be done on Civic.

Please see the before and after reading in the report and advice. Many values seem to be out of recommended range.
Name:  PhotoArt_10052013175331.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  86.3 KB d
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 09:09   #4893
BHPian
 
sarathlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 965
Thanked: 1,927 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Do we have a similar chart for pre facelift model aswell ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Even I would like to know the same. Mine is the 2006 version...which I bought in 2007 just before the first facelift.

Here you go, the launch time specs;
Name:  specs.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  features.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  89.5 KB
sarathlal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 11:27   #4894
BHPian
 
srsriharsha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Mine is a 2008 V AT, still not sure what are all the goodies i am missing apart from Cruise Control, paddle shifting in D mode and USB support.

Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ? I always wanted that in my car but missed that.
srsriharsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 11:35   #4895
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,050 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ? I always wanted that in my car but missed that.
I always thought it will be useless. A drive on the Yamuna Expressway in July converted me. We were driving a City AVN and the cruise control was a real boon. You will notice that 100jkph by GPS will show up at 103-105kph on the odo -normal.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 22:24   #4896
Senior - BHPian
 
spadix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,018
Thanked: 183 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I always thought it will be useless. A drive on the Yamuna Expressway in July converted me. We were driving a City AVN and the cruise control was a real boon. You will notice that 100jkph by GPS will show up at 103-105kph on the odo -normal.
Large parts of Rajasthan and some other roads (such as NH7/AH44 between Hyderabad and Bengaluru) are also great for cruise control.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 22:41   #4897
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Meerut
Posts: 126
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Need a quick advice. Couple of days back my 2006 70k kms done Civic's rpms stopped going past 2.5k. Got it checked at Honda SVC, they said throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear as there is some problem with the 'butterfly' in the throttle body.
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust. They quoted Rs. 45k for the job! I politely declined and took the car back.

Now few queries.
What route shall I take to get this fixed?
Is it possible to get a 'performance' throttle body? If yes, then what make at what price?
Can't this get repaired? Will a repaired throttle body impact performance?

Just need an advice on a VFM solution that should not compromise on performance.
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 23:43   #4898
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear
I don't think it is a 'regular-wear-and tear' item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust.
Could this (non-Honda) fitment be the reason for the failure?
manim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 23:49   #4899
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Meerut
Posts: 126
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I don't think it is a 'regular-wear-and tear' item.



Could this (non-Honda) fitment be the reason for the failure?
No idea. This was fitted two years back at Speedsport. Honda SVC state the throttle body gets replaced at 70k-80k kms. Not sure about their authencity though.
kumargandharva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 02:25   #4900
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
Need a quick advice. Couple of days back my 2006 70k kms done Civic's rpms stopped going past 2.5k. Got it checked at Honda SVC, they said throttle body needs to be replaced as it is regular wear and tear as there is some problem with the 'butterfly' in the throttle body.
The car is fitted with a BMC cold air intake and custom exhaust. They quoted Rs. 45k for the job! I politely declined and took the car back.

Now few queries.
What route shall I take to get this fixed?
Is it possible to get a 'performance' throttle body? If yes, then what make at what price?
Can't this get repaired? Will a repaired throttle body impact performance?

Just need an advice on a VFM solution that should not compromise on performance.
Throttle body replacement? ASS reported a similar diagnosis on our car which refused to go beyond 80!

We had the throttle body fully serviced and the 02 senor replaced.
They also replaced the Air filter, and a few other things cleaned and replaced including the engine oil, radiator etc.
After this the car is close to normal.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 04:03   #4901
BHPian
 
sarathlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 965
Thanked: 1,927 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ? I always wanted that in my car but missed that.
Apart from the normal usages mentioned above, I also use it at times, to give the right foot some 'rest' during the longer runs. Instead of taking foot off the gas, we can slot in the cruise, and the speed can be maintained.
It is definitely a value add feature to have, if possible.

Other than that, if you want to maintain a specific speed without having to bother checking the odometer, this is a boon.
As in, speed limited sections, or for mileage sensitive drives.
sarathlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 14:55   #4902
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,627
Thanked: 327 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumargandharva View Post
... Honda SVC state the throttle body gets replaced at 70k-80k kms. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
...We had the throttle body fully serviced and the 02 senor replaced. They also replaced the Air filter, and a few other things cleaned and replaced including the engine oil, radiator etc...
A S S and their parts marketing strategies....damn
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2013, 15:36   #4903
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
I have a technical question. Are the Civics and Accord's rear brake rotor/pad of the same size? I want to upgrade the brakes on my civic to bigger one for more stopping power. And I was wondering if the accord has bigger brake, and if so, can it fit into Civic too? Mine has 17" wheels and have rather plenty of space for much bigger brakes. The stock disc rotor/pad on the rear is small and is more obvious with the larger alloys. However, my main intention is to have better brakes without completely overhauling the whole braking systems (say with brembo or other expensive brands)
I'm not sure about the rear, but the front brake pads are ALMOST same. Last time I had checked with a dealer (Spare-mart) in delhi.
Why don't you try Mintex brake pads instead of getting all the rotors/pads chaged with that of Accord ?
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 16:27   #4904
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 441 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm not sure about the rear, but the front brake pads are ALMOST same. Last time I had checked with a dealer (Spare-mart) in delhi.
Why don't you try Mintex brake pads instead of getting all the rotors/pads chaged with that of Accord ?
Thanks for chipping in. I want to change all the four pads + bigger rotors (preferably to cross-drilling rotors i.e, ones with holes). I found a few Mintex pads + discs (all four) for Civic FN2 in ebay.uk for some 150 pounds. Couldn't find anything on FD1. I contacted Spare-mat too and they only have the original honda OEM brakes.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 22:26   #4905
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Can anyone tell me how useful has been cruise control in our highways ?
Cruise control was one of the deciding reasons why I bought Civic. Corolla had it only in automatic.

I do use it on long drives in NH7, when I get empty stretch. It is not usable in zig-zag movements though. However, I think when you are on cruise control, engine rpm is bit higher.
SafeSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1153 4th December 2016 21:42
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks