Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th May 2014, 13:07   #5551

Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi Guys,
Iam doing a suspension + clutch overhaul for my civic. Have attached the estimates given by Kaar Nexus Mumbai. He claims that he is going to use genuine parts sourced directly from honda.

Request you to please let me know the various brands that Honda used for suspension setup and also let me know if the break up attached below seems reasonable.

Apart from the above, the car is also due for engine oil change. I wish to change it to semi-synthetic oil. Request to suggest some good ones best suited for Honda Civiv with price if available at Mumbai.
Lancerlover1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 21:57   #5552
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerlover1717 View Post
Hi Guys,
Iam doing a suspension + clutch overhaul for my civic. Have attached the estimates given by Kaar Nexus Mumbai.
First of all is this overhaul needed to be done ?.Are some many parts needed to be changed all at once ?How many kms has your car done ?

If the quote is on the higher side always get a second opinion.I would suggest you look up team bhp directory for another independant garage(s) and get a second opinion from them.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 23:38   #5553

Exclamation re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks Sumeet.

Yes my car has just clocked 50k kms. Front suspension gives thud sound and the ride does not feel comfortable.

Clutch feels hard

Steering also feels hard and there is a small leakage.

I wanted to check with you guys for the pricing and the brands of shock absorbers that Honda uses in Civic because the owner of the Garage claims that he sources the parts directly from Honda.

If anyone has heard about Kaar Nexus and whether he is genuine please let me know urgently.
Old 31st May 2014, 00:11   #5554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumeet.

Yes my car has just clocked 50k kms. Front suspension gives thud sound and the ride does not feel comfortable.

Clutch feels hard

Steering also feels hard and there is a small leakage.

I wanted to check with you guys for the pricing and the brands of shock absorbers that Honda uses in Civic because the owner of the Garage claims that he sources the parts directly from Honda.

If anyone has heard about Kaar Nexus and whether he is genuine please let me know urgently.

50K that's it ? Its too early for a major job like this. That too a complete replacement of all major suspension parts.
If the front is making a noise then only the strut or the lower arm must be faulty very unlikely that all parts have gone bad.

Where exactly is the leak from?

Take your car to a Honda A.S.S and ask them for an estimate.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 09:23   #5555
BHPian

50k is too early for the clutch, let alone the suspension. Unless you're a reckless driver or the car's been in an accident, its highly unlikely the suspension will wear out this soon. I replaced the stock clutch at 90k kms. Suspension still going strong.

If the clutch is hard, there are other ways to resolve it, its not a problem as long as you don't have any difficulty in slotting gears.

I'd advise you to take a second opinion.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 22:12   #5556

Unhappy re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks Guys.

I did called a few people and came to know that the cost of front shock absorbers + springs + mounts and bushes ia arounr 14.2k in Mumbai. Its of Munjal.

However, the garage guys have quoted me 20k for parts + some 4.5 k for labour for suspension overhaul.

My car is already lying in his garage. Just spoke to the owner of the garage very politely asking him about the price difference and why the springs are not included in the part list.

He said its not required and started arguing and got aggressive saying that such things are about trust and that he is in the business since 25 years he knows what he is doing.

I was still ready to go ahead with the job but he refrained for doing the suspension job and said he is returning the car with the old parts. In the conversation he ended up hurting his ego. I dont know why. May be he was caught or may be he was too genuine and full of abhimaan!

But all I wanted was to get peace of mind so was open to all possible suggestions and convincing answers from him. But he just blamed me for not trusting him and is not ready to do the job. My car is left open in the garage half open, suspension overhauled and steering rod and lower arms gone to tuner for repair by him.

I don't know what to do. He will call me on Monday morning he said post which I can take my car.

Uploading some pics of the car and the clutch box. It says Daikin, made in Japan.

Apart from the above uploading the pictures of the leakage from the steering boot also.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20140531_182628.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20140531_182651.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20140531_181642.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20140531_181659.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20131207_155909.jpg  

Old 1st June 2014, 11:04   #5557
BHPian

The Daikin Exedy is one of the best clutch sets available for the civic. I got the same installed when the time came for a clutch replacement.

The garage guy seems to be miffed about a trivial matter. Seems like he has a lot of business hence the inflated ego. As a customer, it is your right to find out the right prices of the parts so don't get bogged down by his reaction.

check out the team bhp directory and find a garage where they take better care of your car.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 13:38   #5558
BHPian

Hard clutch??

I faced the same issue, you should check the master and slave cylinders. My car became fine after changing cylinder assembly. Did it at HASS.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 14:57   #5559

Unhappy re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Clutch has already been replaced with approx cost 12k by the aforesaid garage. Now cant undo that.

Also, while I was at the garage yesterday before all the argument regarding suspension started, I did the new clutch (took pics and uploaded above), the clutch pedal has become soft with a little bit of play.

The mechanic in charge said that it will exist since the clutch is new and the play will decrease with time as the clutch gets used.

I do not know if there may be a master cylinder and slave problem.

As regards the suspension, the deal with the mechanic has turned sour and the car is lying in his garage for today. The garage owner is not co-operating as per my conversation with him yesterday. He is saying the following things without any other option:

1. Clutch - Keep the new clutch since it is already installed. Pay complete price and labour.
2. Suspension - Re assemble old parts and put it back on the car. No new parts will be put since there is no trust (according to him). However, I will have to pay labour charges for the same i.e 3.5k -4.5k. Here he is not even will to put the suspension which I may get on my own from the market costing 14.2k (struts+mounts+bushes+springs-Munjal against his quoted price of 20k-21k for the same set up without springs and undisclosed brand).
3. Steering fix- Lower arms and tie rod ends and steering boot has been sent to the turner by him. However, no major problems were identified except for the leakage which we both are not sure of.

Apart from the above small fixes viz no plate winder motor etc were also a part of the complete job he identified. But everything is gone for a toss now.

I have no choice now. I am worried for the car. Hope he gives back my car in the same way and he does not remove any grudges when I go to him tomorrow.

In case anyone knows him or have better suggestions on handling the situation please advise urgently -will highly appreciate and be grateful to the TBHP community.
Old 1st June 2014, 18:39   #5560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Suspension - Re assemble old parts and put it back on the car. No new parts will be put since there is no trust (according to him). However, I will have to pay labour charges for the same i.e 3.5k -4.5k. Here he is not even will to put the suspension which I may get on my own from the market costing 14.2k (struts+mounts+bushes+springs-Munjal against his quoted price of 20k-21k for the same set up without springs and undisclosed brand).
I think it's highly unprofessional on his part and frankly find this guy's behavior immature. How can he charge you simply opening the suspension and not doing anything and just putting it back.This is not right in any sense.As for trust kindly mention him that you had all right to inquire why so and so part is costing as much.And you trusted him enough with the clutch work so why not the suspension since you already going ahead with the work.

Try talking again to him personally if possible and get the work done since you already have the car opened up or try to get the labour reduced for the suspension.Mention to him you have already posted this issue on a reputed forum like Team-Bhp.

I would have taken quote from 1-2 garages before giving the car for a overhaul.If the deal turns sour , in any case , do not give the steering boot work to him , if you stay at Bandra or close try Joe's garage Nakita motors (t-bhp directory).This guy is as honest as one can get and he will tell you what exactly is needed to be changed and what is not.

Edit- It's also possible that the suspension is not needed to be overhauled. If possible get the same fitted back and try to get the labor reduced for doing.Take the car to the above mentioned guy (Joe) and he would suggest what is needed.

Good Luck

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 1st June 2014 at 18:51.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 19:08   #5561

Thanks again Sumeet.

These two days have been really depressing since I was caught up in an emotional dilemma and rational thinking.

Just to quench my thirst for the right solution and peace of mind I enquired. However, after speaking to him, I was made to feel that I did a mistake as he said " This is the problem with you guys, someone tells you something and you guys come back to me so why dont you go back to your friends".

He said this because I told him that even Iam an enthusiast and follow various forums and Iam interested in knowing things especially about this car.

But now I feel guilty to give him the car before checking thoroughly this is where he took advantage as he said " You should have done your homework before coming to me". Really life practical lesson man, cant trust anyone !

Any way, will try speaking to him again tomorrow when I go to the garage, will request him to reduce the labour atleast for putting things back together if he is unwilling to do the job. Hope luck is on my side this time.

Thanks alot again Sumeet. Will put an update again tomorrow. Fingures crossed till then.
Old 2nd June 2014, 08:33   #5562
BHPian

@lancelover

Clutch replaced for 12k? I paid 5.5k for the daikin set, 1.5k for labour, 200 for flywheel skimming. Total came to Rs 7200. This guy is clearly overcharging you. And now that you you've enquired elsewhere, he knows he's been caught, hence the defiance.

Take someone along with you. Try to reason with him. If he still persists, get ur car kitted up. And while leaving, do let him know you'll be blacklisting him on a public forum like team-bhp.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:02   #5563
BHPian

Folks, my silencer mount has come off again (was fixed by solitaire Honda a week back).

Qn1 : If I keep the silencer hanging (swaying up and down), will it damage the silencer or any other components ?

I also need to replace all wheel nut-bolts and left front seat back panel.

Qn2: Any good local place outside Honda service network that will help to put all these 3 parts back to OEM spec ? (I have checked the directory, dont see any specific place in Mumbai for Honda OEM parts outside service network).
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:30   #5564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I can think only of an unbalanced wheel. I had one with a bulge which gave me this issue!!

Just check if any of the tyres have sidewall bulges / lost balancing weights.
Spot on.The problem was due to misaligned front wheel.After correcting it, the car is butter smooth (to borrow manim's expression) and handles great.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 17:28   #5565
Senior - BHPian

My Civic is currently at the HASS due to what I thought was a minor issue. Few months back, I observed a 'kat' 'kat' noise inside the cabin while turning the steering wheel completely from left to right and vice versa while at standstill. I was advised to replace the strut bearings which costed 1.7K INR. The sound seemed to have gone temporarily only to surface again about a month back. Thanks to my hectic schedule due to a recent project change I had, I could take the car back to the HASS only last weekend.

The car was lifted up using a ramp and liberal doses of WD40 were sprayed in the suspension area. However, that did not help and the problem persisted. I was asked to leave the car with the HASS for a more detailed check-up on the ball joints and suspension. Now, I am hearing that the suspension is being overhauled and I can collect the car only tomorrow (delivery was promised today).

I am clueless as to what could be the actual problem. Has anyone encountered this issue with their Civic? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by rr_zen : 2nd June 2014 at 17:30.
rr_zen is online now   Reply With Quote