Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2014, 13:50   #5911
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I might sound stupid, but will a new pair of shoes cause all the trouble that I stated in my previous post? The reason I am asking is that three days of regular office commute in my formal shoes posed no problems whatsoever except for the lag and an occasional jerk during gear changes at high rpms that I am planning to anyway check. Today, I was back with the new shoes and, sure enough, the stuttering and jerking in first gear returned.
Haha! Carry the "trouble Shoes" to work and change once you are done.
But you better get everything checked once as there is the occasional jerk and lag. Get the parts mentioned earlier cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Took the delivery of the car 2 days back. Car has done 18800 Kms to be exact. Bought Shell Helix 5W40 HX7 Fully synthetic oil from their pump itself. They gave 200 rs discount as I did a full tank. Got the oil changed from a Bosch service centre. Made them pour exactly 3.8L after a complete drain to the last very drop. Also did tyre alignment and a good wash. She runs well.
Are you sure about the HX7? If my memory serves me right then the HX7 is semi synthetic Mineral based oil. The Helix ultra is the only fully synthetic oil from shell.
Did you change the oil filter?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 20:24   #5912
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi guys,

I found this thread on the web which shows how one can use a washer to correct the mount problem if the mounts have not yet gone kaput but have sagged down.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mecha...eleration.html

In my civic the mounts have not yet busted ie the rubber has not cracked but the two tips are less than 1 cm and touch each other when going over potholes. There are no vibrations on reversing and the car feels smooth but the mount keeps clanging which irks me a bit so i might try the washer way and see if it works.

Has anyone tried the washer method on their civic.

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 08:48   #5913
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Are you sure about the HX7?
Ah! My Bad! It is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Don't know how HX7 got stuck in my head. Paid 4900 at the shell pump for this. Yes, I changed the oil filter also. They charged 220 for a Purolator one. The concern here is, the oil is still a tad below the full mark on the dip stick even after pouring 3.8L. I checked again after a 5 Kms drive and letting the engine cool down for around 1 hour. I might do a top up in the morning after checking the level once again.

Also realized that the windshield washer isn't working. Need to figure that out now.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:25   #5914
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Ah! My Bad! It is Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, Don't know how HX7 got stuck in my head. Paid 4900 at the shell pump for this. Yes, I changed the oil filter also. They charged 220 for a Purolator one. The concern here is, the oil is still a tad below the full mark on the dip stick even after pouring 3.8L. I checked again after a 5 Kms drive and letting the engine cool down for around 1 hour. I might do a top up in the morning after checking the level once again.

Also realized that the windshield washer isn't working. Need to figure that out now.
Not bad, but you could have got the same oil from a Shell dealer for about Rs 4,000 -/
Purolator is a good oil filter.
Did they drain out the old oil completely? How was 3.8L measured? Did you remove 200ML of oil or did you measure 3.8L from the container?
Maybe the measuring container was a little off.

If you are sure that they poured in 3.8L then just leave it.
If the oil is a tad less don't worry, there must be about 3.7L of oil in the engine.
A little less oil will cause no problems but a too much oil can cause problems to your engine.
I would just ignore this.
p.s
(the Dip stick is not measuring tool to check engine oil in liters)

Why you try to spray water does the motor make any noise? (not the wiper motor but the sprayer)
If you hear the motor running but see no water in the nozzle -
Check if the the windshield washer reservoir has enough water.
Check the Nozzle for any blocks or leaks.

If you still don't get any water then the motor could be bad. There is a motor/pump connected to the windshield washer reservoir. This can get blocked and stop working.
Take it back to bosh, this job shouldn't take more than an hour.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 26th October 2014 at 09:28.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:37   #5915
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Not bad, but you could have got the same oil from a Shell dealer for about Rs 4,000 -/
Purolator is a good oil filter.

Why you try to spray water does the motor make any noise? (not the wiper motor but the sprayer)
If you hear the motor running but see no water in the nozzle -
Check if the the windshield washer reservoir has enough water.
Check the Nozzle for any blocks or leaks.
the best part was, mechanic realized that the filter is out of stock once he started draining out the oil. So he left it like that and went out in search of the filter. So the car got a good 1 hour to drain out everything. After draining every drop in the slanting position, we un-jacked the car and thus let another 50ml of oil to come out.
I removed 200ml from the can and poured the complete can.

For the washer, the motor is working as the humming sound is coming. I need to check the nozzle jet clog with salt deposits from the infamous Bangalore borewells.

Last edited by aa_asif : 26th October 2014 at 09:40.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:51   #5916
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Had a talk with Dakshin Honda service advisor. He said the fuel filter replacement interval is 40K kms. And 20K Kms for airfilter. Now that my car has completed more than 4 years but done only 19K Kms, is it advisable to change the fuel filter?

P.S: I some how miss the fun I had with my i20 CRDi when it hits the turbo band. I guess I was expecting a lot more from a civic. Though I am new to civic, I have fairly good amount of experience with Accord (2005 model, Nearly 40K Kms) The midrange fun (That mad pull) you get out of Accord is way above Civic's. Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe I need to clock few 100s of kms and get used to the car.

Last edited by aa_asif : 26th October 2014 at 09:53.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 19:58   #5917
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Finally I got the infamous Hydraulic-Engine-mount problem.
This came in at 7 years 4 months and odo at 1,35,000 kms.
So I am not complaining!

The engine started giving weird noises mostly during cold start in the mornings, I knew this was the problem having read this thread for years!

This is the first time I went for the service center apart from the routine ones.

The charges:
Engine-mount - Rs.7,954
Labour - Rs.426

Throttle-body-cleaning - Rs.292
Diagnostic-Scanning for troubleshooting - Rs.299
Washing - Rs.478

Total - Rs. Rs.9,449.


Throttle-body-cleaning was recommended by my trusty SA.
Diagnostic-Scanning for troubleshooting was done to clear my doubts regarding rats infestation inside the bonnet (I will post details about this later).

Car is as usual silky smooth on 4-lane highways!
manim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 21:22   #5918
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Finally I got the infamous Hydraulic-Engine-mount problem.
Hi ,

What was the gap between the mount tips like ? Was it touching or just a bit close to each other ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Had a talk with Dakshin Honda service advisor. He said the fuel filter replacement interval is 40K kms. And 20K Kms for airfilter. Now that my car has completed more than 4 years but done only 19K Kms, is it advisable to change the fuel filter?
Take a look at my link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2958993 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

The filter is 5 years old and done 40K kms. Now with your low running you may want to put it off for maybe sometime but's best to let a mechanic pull out the filter and check the condition. Make sure you get this replaced from Honda if you do decide to replace it as the original is difficult to source from outside. It would cost around 4-5K.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
The concern here is, the oil is still a tad below the full mark on the dip stick even after pouring 3.8L. I checked again after a 5 Kms drive and letting the engine cool down for around 1 hour. I might do a top up in the morning after checking the level once again.
The Civic takes in around 4.5 liters of oil i believe.Make sure you check the levels once a month at-least.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 23:25   #5919
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
the best part was, mechanic realized that the filter is out of stock once he started draining out the oil. So he left it like that and went out in search of the filter. So the car got a good 1 hour to drain out everything. After draining every drop in the slanting position, we un-jacked the car and thus let another 50ml of oil to come out.
I removed 200ml from the can and poured the complete can.

For the washer, the motor is working as the humming sound is coming. I need to check the nozzle jet clog with salt deposits from the infamous Bangalore borewells.
haha! Typical grease Monkey Rip apart everything and then search for parts.

For the Nozzle, If its a small block,
Ask someone to operate the washer at the same time take a small pin and prick the nozzle head. That should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Had a talk with Dakshin Honda service advisor. He said the fuel filter replacement interval is 40K kms. And 20K Kms for airfilter. Now that my car has completed more than 4 years but done only 19K Kms, is it advisable to change the fuel filter?

P.S: I some how miss the fun I had with my i20 CRDi when it hits the turbo band. I guess I was expecting a lot more from a civic. Though I am new to civic, I have fairly good amount of experience with Accord (2005 model, Nearly 40K Kms) The midrange fun (That mad pull) you get out of Accord is way above Civic's. Correct me if I am wrong.

Maybe I need to clock few 100s of kms and get used to the car.
Asif, I would Go-ahead and replace the Fuel filter. No harm is doing so. Do you fill fuel at smaller bunks and tier 2 cities? Dirty fuel can clog up the filter.

i20 has very good low end torque, but on the highway the Civic will blow away the i20. The Smoothness, refinement, comfort something that the i20 will never have also check the tyre pressure and maintain proper pressure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi ,

The Civic takes in around 4.5 liters of oil i believe.Make sure you check the levels once a month at-least.
Are you sure its 4.5L of engine oil??
I usually never fill more than 3.7L, I don't have the manual with me so I could be wrong. Now I am worried.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 07:32   #5920
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

The Civic takes in around 4.5 liters of oil i believe.Make sure you check the levels once a month at-least.
I could'nt find it mentioned anywhere while I was desperately searching the whole service manual at the garage. That's when I got hold of a website talking about the oil change guide for 8th Gen 1.8L Civic which said "4 Quarts" which is around 3.78 Litres. I checked the oil level again in the morning before the first start. This time the level was exactly at the right point. So no worries I guess.

As members mentioned earlier, running on a little less oil is OK while excess oil can be pushed to the spark plugs and spoil them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Asif, I would Go-ahead and replace the Fuel filter. No harm is doing so. Do you fill fuel at smaller bunks and tier 2 cities? Dirty fuel can clog up the filter.
That's my exact concern here. My experience with this car is around 200 Kms. The car was lying with a cheapskate broker who was filling petrol for 200Rs every time he was showing it to a prospect and God knows from where all. The petrol level was dangerously low when he handed over the vehicle. So I suspect all the 4 years of dirt would have got pushed to the filter and there could be a partial clog. As you suggested, I will get it checked at HASS. Somehow, I still feel the car can run better.

I maintain 31 Psi tyre pressure all around.

No luck with the safety pin method for jets. While the motor is working, there's not even a single drop of water coming out. I believe there's too much of salt accumulation. The bottom of the nozzle and plumping is hidden. I will get it cleaned at HASS. So I am just listing down more and more such niggling issues and get them all fixed in one go.

Last edited by aa_asif : 27th October 2014 at 07:39.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 07:49   #5921
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Another major concern is the Spare wheel is not alloy. I have never heard of Civic V-MT coming out with only 4 alloys. There was no point in arguing with the broker guy. It was anyway not a show stopper for me.
Could anyone confirm?

This is how the car looks. Body line looks all good with no accident repairs, Insurance carried a 40% NCB which says no claims in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image.jpg  


Last edited by aa_asif : 27th October 2014 at 07:50.
aa_asif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 09:29   #5922
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

Are you sure its 4.5L of engine oil??
I usually never fill more than 3.7L, I don't have the manual with me so I could be wrong. Now I am worried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I could'nt find it mentioned anywhere while I was desperately searching the whole service manual at the garage. That's when I got hold of a website talking about the oil change guide for 8th Gen 1.8L Civic which said "4 Quarts" which is around 3.78 Litres. I checked the oil level again in the morning before the first start. This time the level was exactly at the right point. So no worries I guess.
There's nothing to worry as the oil level is close to full. Better close to the max level rather than close to the min level. Even i was under the impression it would take around 3.8 liters but the 4.5 liters quantity was confirmed by my garage man Joe as well.

I had bought 4 liters of Shell Helix 5W 40 for the car during my last oil change during which Joe said that it might still need more as it's around 4.5 liters but it will do and no harm will come.

Captain Below link from my thread has a screen shot of manual for the oil quantity you can use for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3074989

Asif my car has the spare wheel as a alloy but i think it Honda stopped giving away the spare wheel as a alloy in the later models. Mine is a Jan 2007 model.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 27th October 2014 at 09:32.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:32   #5923
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3074989

Asif my car has the spare wheel as a alloy but i think it Honda stopped giving away the spare wheel as a alloy in the later models. Mine is a Jan 2007 model.
I have checked couple of other V-MT models during the car hunt and all of them had spare alloys except mine. Mine is a 2009 December made car which is registered in 2010 Jan.

I left the remaining 200ml in the garage itself after filling 3.8 litres. So I will have to buy a 1L bottle again for the top up .
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:50   #5924
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,200
Thanked: 472 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
.

Captain Below link from my thread has a screen shot of manual for the oil quantity you can use for your reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3074989

Asif my car has the spare wheel as a alloy but i think it Honda stopped giving away the spare wheel as a alloy in the later models. Mine is a Jan 2007 model.
I really am not sure now
Its says dry fill 4.5L I guess that means from the factory.
3.7L with an oil filter change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
Another major concern is the Spare wheel is not alloy. I have never heard of Civic V-MT coming out with only 4 alloys. There was no point in arguing with the broker guy. It was anyway not a show stopper for me.
Could anyone confirm?

This is how the car looks. Body line looks all good with no accident repairs, Insurance carried a 40% NCB which says no claims in the past.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post

I left the remaining 200ml in the garage itself after filling 3.8 litres. So I will have to buy a 1L bottle again for the top up.
Asif, The car looks really good.
Your spare isn't an alloy? Its a Steel Rim? I don't remember the civic ever coming with a steel rim. All the V-MTs come with a 5 Alloys.
Looks like your dealer decided to keep the alloy or sell it to someone else.

I'm still not sure about the engine oil! 4.5L or 3.7L Can some other civic owner please comment on this?
Sad thing we never get the car guide/manual when you buy a used car
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic.jpg  

Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 13:17   #5925
BHPian
 
manim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tuticorin
Posts: 689
Thanked: 319 Times
Post re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
What was the gap between the mount tips like ? Was it touching or just a bit close to each other ?
I am not sure, I did not look closely.

The noise was terrible in the mornings, but after the engine warmed up the noise was hard to detect.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1151 29th November 2016 17:58
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks