Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 9th November 2014, 08:17   #5986
BHPian

Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi All, I dont have my service manual so couldn't look this up. Could you plase share what the idle rpm for your car is on warmup. I have an AT and recently I had the 60K major service done where they also did the throttle body cleaning, but after that I feel like the car is revving slightly higher on idle now.

On warmup my idle currently is about 900rpm. And on cold-starts i literally have to keep my foot on the brake till i pick up speed.

Could you please share what the idle rpm's for your cars is esp if it is an AT?
Thanks
joshiviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 08:22   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I own the Civic AT.

Q1. FE - The Civic is both a beauty and a beast!
It has given me up till 18 kmpl with hypermiling.

Q5. For highway drives, the Civic is unbeatable!
Very safe and very stable at high speeds.

Q3. In 7.5 years and 1,35,000 kms I have had NO problems with the AT.
The gear changes are as always excellent.

Only thing you may need to look is if the previous owner had not abused it and had done the routine services.
Same experience here. I have an AT and I get 16-18kmpl on highway. Driving in the city is a different case since my run is short (5km). So by the time the car is warmed up i have covered by my distance, combine this with stop & go, I can get 6-10kmpl. If you city runs are longer you'll get better FE. Nothing beats this car on the highway in terms of the planted feel and the steering is pretty precise, so you can make any quick maneuvers if the need arises.
joshiviv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 08:54   #5988
BHPian

Thank you coolkurt for the help.I would still like help on where to get spares from .What would be the procedure to import spares from a site like ebay.I can see all the parts up there.I got a haynes maintenance manual through my sister in the US.If iam able to get the parts i could go daily to the workshop nearby and work/supervise the mechanics.Somehow i find them lacking a little bit theoretical knowledge and they go along with their experience and gut feeling.Maybe the haynes manual would help in imparting them some knowledge.
I still need help in sourcing parts from a reliable firm in India,if available.The Honda guys refuse to give the parts alone.I feel with sites like team-bhp the DIY culture would grow and then we could have a market for sites in India selling spares from different manufacturers.
biju1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 10:17   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

You can check out the Team-Bhp Directory and you'll be able to find a decent neighborhood garage:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-ncr/

From the estimate, I can see that the major expense are the brake pads. It'll be a lot cheaper if you buy the pads at a spare shop and get the pads changed at a local repair shop. Regular service can be done at the HASS.

I do the same. Take the Car to Honda A.S.S. Let them diagnose any problems/ parts to be replaced etc. Then I just tell them to do routine service and get the parts replaced outside.

My advice to you is to always get your car serviced from one place. That way they have access to your past service records and would be able to diagnose problems better. Since u've been getting ur car serviced at honda, they're the best to identify the reason for low FE. You can always get the necessary parts replaced outside if any.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the the reply,
I did go through the NCR Directory before posting this, but I couldn't find what I was looking for, hence I posted my queries here.

Will it be a fine, if I procure the parts on my end from a place like Palika Bhawan (Delhi), & take it to some guy who would do the job for me ?
In that scenario too, i'd first have to find out where exactly in Palika bhawan would I get best quality parts, secondly where do I take my car to get the job done. Could someone guide me on that ?

For the fuel efficiency thing, all I wanted to know is what are all the possible reasons for a civic (specifically) to give such a bad fuel efficiency ?

Thanks
--
Satyam Kaushik
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 10:40   #5990
BHPian

Hey everyone

Planning to buy a February 2010 honda civic V MT 26000 kms run in aurangabad maharashtra.First hand in good condition grey colour, all new tyres and insurance done till next October. Priced at 6.5 lakhs. Should I go for it? Is it a great deal?
sambhav.jain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 17:38   #5991
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Folks!

What is superlock mode in Civic? I was going through the manual and read that locking the car twice within 5 secs. turns on the 'superlock' mode. No information about what exactly this mode does.

Thanks.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 19:37   #5992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Folks!

What is superlock mode in Civic? I was going through the manual and read that locking the car twice within 5 secs. turns on the 'superlock' mode. No information about what exactly this mode does.

Thanks.
In superlock mode the internal levers of the cars are disabled, which means if someone tries to open car from inside can't open it. Even if you break the windows and enter still you can't open the doors.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2014, 21:58   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Hi All, I dont have my service manual so couldn't look this up. Could you plase share what the idle rpm for your car is on warmup. I have an AT and recently I had the 60K major service done where they also did the throttle body cleaning, but after that I feel like the car is revving slightly higher on idle now.

On warmup my idle currently is about 900rpm. And on cold-starts i literally have to keep my foot on the brake till i pick up speed.

Could you please share what the idle rpm's for your cars is esp if it is an AT?
Thanks
The initial warm up rpm can vary depending on the surrounding temperature to an extend. so, if you are getting the constant 900 rpm on idle warmed up stage, all is well.
I normally let the car idle a bit on the P mode itself, before shifting it off the Park mode.

Friends, time for insurance renewal, and Honda Assure gave a horrible quote. With NCB intact at 50, they are quoting ~14K and that too with an IDV of 7 lac for the 2010 VAT.
Any comments on this? Also, if there are better alternatives, kindly suggest.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 09:15   #5994
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@sarathlal; You can easily negotiate 40% discount from Honda (and most others) on the own damage part. Do you have an exclusion, I keep Rs.7500 with gives me about Rs.1500-2000 off on the premium.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 12:16   #5995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
Thanks for the the reply,

Will it be a fine, if I procure the parts on my end from a place like Palika Bhawan (Delhi), & take it to some guy who would do the job for me ?
In that scenario too, i'd first have to find out where exactly in Palika bhawan would I get best quality parts, secondly where do I take my car to get the job done. Could someone guide me on that ?

For the fuel efficiency thing, all I wanted to know is what are all the possible reasons for a civic (specifically) to give such a bad fuel efficiency ?

Thanks
--
Satyam Kaushik
You can get the spares from kashmere gate, reputed shops like batra auto at ashram, Ghai Spares, savitri nagar etc.

it's best if you look at the delhi ncr directory for a good FNG listing and identify the nearest in your area.

@biju1971
It's best if you source the parts from a reputed place in Mumbai since ure not able to find a decent place in surat. You can then go on to get it done at the local workshop.
My experience suggests that it's easy to judge the quality of workmanship by the kind of cars that are lined up at the local garage. Also, don't look too much into the fact that the mechanics lack theoretical knowledge. They go by experience, which in my opinion, is sometimes more important than bookish knowledge. I've heard experiences where the A.S.S folk have gone by the book and messed up whereas local guys have managed to find the right approach to problem solving by relying on their instinct and solid experience.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 12:52   #5996
Distinguished - BHPian

I changed the low beam bulb (only left side) as it had gone kaput. It was a simple process but since I could not find the 9006 one, hence bought the 9005; which is apparently the high beam bulb on the Civic. With some minor mods, the bulb was good to go in the low beam socket. However, that new 9005 bulb is rated at 65W against the stock 51W 9006 bulb, the beam feels brighter than the right one. I purchased the 65W 9005 bulb for Rs. 180/-, made by Halonix. It is simple yellow light.

I am quite satisfied with the high beam and do not feel the need to upgrade the bulbs on the high beam.
Old 12th November 2014, 13:02   #5997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
In superlock mode the internal levers of the cars are disabled, which means if someone tries to open car from inside can't open it. Even if you break the windows and enter still you can't open the doors.
Not sure if am missing something here but I would have done this (locking the car twice within 5 seconds) accidentally a couple of times on my Civic (just to reconfirm if I have actually locked the car) but never had this feature activated.

Last edited by rr_zen : 12th November 2014 at 13:03.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 13:15   #5998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Not sure if am missing something here but I would have done this (locking the car twice within 5 seconds) accidentally a couple of times on my Civic (just to reconfirm if I have actually locked the car) but never had this feature activated.
I thought that this would also activate shock sensors and internal movement sensors in the car. Though the manual is thick but at times does not comes out clean on many things.
Old 12th November 2014, 15:23   #5999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

You can get the spares from kashmere gate, reputed shops like batra auto at ashram, Ghai Spares, savitri nagar etc.

it's best if you look at the delhi ncr directory for a good FNG listing and identify the nearest in your area.

@biju1971
It's best if you source the parts from a reputed place in Mumbai since ure not able to find a decent place in surat. You can then go on to get it done at the local workshop.
My experience suggests that it's easy to judge the quality of workmanship by the kind of cars that are lined up at the local garage. Also, don't look too much into the fact that the mechanics lack theoretical knowledge. They go by experience, which in my opinion, is sometimes more important than bookish knowledge. I've heard experiences where the A.S.S folk have gone by the book and messed up whereas local guys have managed to find the right approach to problem solving by relying on their instinct and solid experience.
Thanks a lot for your valuable input sir,
I'll certainly look forward to what you suggested.

Can someone guide me for aftermarket Break Pads and what Engine Oil (brand and grade) shall be best suited for the Civic ?
I have heard about TRW & Nissin, but don't really know which one shall I go for.
How much do they cost typically ?

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 12th November 2014 at 15:31.
satyamkaushik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 15:35   #6000
BHPian

Brakes update :

Have sourced brembo rotors for the front and brembo brake pads for the front.

Rotors - 7600/-
brake pads - 3500/-
Installation - 400/-
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote