Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2014, 10:09   #6106
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi guys,

the power steering seems to have a leak again, my mech had cleaned up the lower side with petrol and had kept the car running for a hour but were unable to find the leak. They have asked me to come back again after a weeks driving and see if there is a leak. My mechanic had found the leak when i had gone to get the below checked out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3595505 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)

As per the mechanic the crooked rubber thingy is not a issue but now this new problem has cropped out.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20141213_122553.jpg
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 09:40   #6107
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 243
Thanked: 35 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
One of the guys working there also mentioned that this could happen due to the low mileage of the car and its infrequent usage. Mine is a 2010 model with 16k on the odo as of date.

I would suggest you go in for a second opinion at an FNG or a different HASS just to be sure.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a strut bearing problem then as mine is also a 2010 with only 19K on the ODO. My experience with Dakshin Honda was bad as they just threw away all the push button clips of the fender cover after replacing the wind shield washer hose. and they only suggested that I should change the PS pump. I will try my luck with Whitefield Honda next time.
I am planning to visit a Bosch service centre for a second opinion.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 15:33   #6108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 83
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

When I gave my Civic SAT (done 32000 kms) for servicing to Honda A** couple of weeks back, I asked the SA to check on the clunking noise from the right front suspension / steering side (I have been getting if I hit a bump while turning right) for the last 1 year. One of the workshop mechanics took the car for a test drive and said the noise is coming from rack and pinion and replacing it will be only a short term solution and the noise is likely to come back.

While I didn't understand why the noise will come back if the part is replaced and if the diagnosis is right, I didn't push it further.

Let me know if any of the fellow Civic owners have faced a similar problems and if any body has had the rack and pinion assembly replaced (along with how much it costed).
civic-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 11:42   #6109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys,

the power steering seems to have a leak again, my mech had cleaned up the lower side with petrol and had kept the car running for a hour but were unable to find the leak. They have asked me to come back again after a weeks driving and see if there is a leak. My mechanic had found the leak when i had gone to get the below checked out.


Attachment 1318346
Park the car and start by putting some paper under the car and turning the wheel from lock to lock several times and see if any fluid leaks out.

The most important thing is to find out the source of the leak. It could be the hose or it could be the rack itself. It could be that the seals on the end of the rack have gone bad. This is a common problem with the Civic.
If it is the rack, I would recommend purchasing a new one rather than rebuilding your current one.

Honda A.S.S are a no go. Simple mention of power steering leak leads to them recommending a rack, pump and hose change, setting you back by a huge amount.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 16:57   #6110
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Park the car and start by putting some paper under the car and turning the wheel from lock to lock several times and see if any fluid leaks out.

The most important thing is to find out the source of the leak. It could be the hose or it could be the rack itself. It could be that the seals on the end of the rack have gone bad. This is a common problem with the Civic.
If it is the rack, I would recommend purchasing a new one rather than rebuilding your current one.

Honda A.S.S are a no go. Simple mention of power steering leak leads to them recommending a rack, pump and hose change, setting you back by a huge amount.
Replacing the rack as well will be a expensive repair itself. Has anyone done the same ? Anyways the problem seems to be from the steering pump rather than from the rack but let's see what happens. I am to show it to the garage again sometime soon.

Also HASS would also seek to repair the pump/rack and not change it as it's freakingly expensive to replace the said components.I got a quote for 5k for reparing from a shop where i had inquired a new pump (cost 30-48K Rs btw) along with a 6 month guarantee.Unfortunately for me this is the second time the pump has leaked. Last time i had repaired it from HASS for a atrocious 15K , 3 times more than it would have cost if done outside but i didn't know better then.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 22:59   #6111
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Replacing the rack as well will be a expensive repair itself. Has anyone done the same ? Anyways the problem seems to be from the steering pump rather than from the rack but let's see what happens. I am to show it to the garage again sometime soon.

Also HASS would also seek to repair the pump/rack and not change it as it's freakingly expensive to replace the said components.I got a quote for 5k for reparing from a shop where i had inquired a new pump (cost 30-48K Rs btw) along with a 6 month guarantee.Unfortunately for me this is the second time the pump has leaked. Last time i had repaired it from HASS for a atrocious 15K , 3 times more than it would have cost if done outside but i didn't know better then.
PS had to be overhauled again as it was leaking. This is the second time under my ownership. I have started to think either my car is jinxed or my odo was rigged before buying it used so that's why it leading to so many issues. Don't even know what to do now.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 23:46   #6112
BHPian
 
gomzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 784
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
PS had to be overhauled again as it was leaking. This is the second time under my ownership. I have started to think either my car is jinxed or my odo was rigged before buying it used so that's why it leading to so many issues. Don't even know what to do now.
Sumeet, has the cause of the leak been identified? There can be multiple causes many of which might not result in a overhaul of your PS system. It can be a case of the the hose springing a leak or rubber seals wearing out on the power steering pump due to the age of the car. The hose is simple to replace and the seals can be repaired either by your mechanic or by specialists.

Has your mechanic found the root cause for the leak yet and what does the overhaul entail?

Last edited by gomzi : 19th December 2014 at 23:47.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 00:19   #6113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My 2008 Civic M/T has squeaky clutch from very long time, and now it is more persistent. HASS used to put some lube everytime I complain, but issue keep coming back. Sometime it does not happen, and I have noticed drive is smooth and clutch is relatively easier to press. Does this indicate time to do clutch replacement ?.

Is there any good private workshop in Bangalore whom I can check with ?. I stay in sarjapur road area.

Also, I lost/misplaced my duplicate key. HASS says it cost more that 12k to get a duplicate done, and also need some affidavit . Is it possible to get a duplicate from road-side key shops ?. I saw they have put honda's key in their banner.
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 06:36   #6114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
PS had to be overhauled again as it was leaking. This is the second time under my ownership. I have started to think either my car is jinxed or my odo was rigged before buying it used so that's why it leading to so many issues. Don't even know what to do now.
Going by what you've been posting, your mechanic has not been able to diagnose the cause of the leak and hence must have recommended an overhaul. I suggest you take a second opinion as the overhaul can be an expensive proposition.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 12:57   #6115
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Sumeet, has the cause of the leak been identified? There can be multiple causes many of which might not result in a overhaul of your PS system. It can be a case of the the hose springing a leak or rubber seals wearing out on the power steering pump due to the age of the car. The hose is simple to replace and the seals can be repaired either by your mechanic or by specialists.

Has your mechanic found the root cause for the leak yet and what does the overhaul entail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Going by what you've been posting, your mechanic has not been able to diagnose the cause of the leak and hence must have recommended an overhaul. I suggest you take a second opinion as the overhaul can be an expensive proposition.
Thanks guys but i have already got the PS overhaul done .The gasket, O rings were busted so there was a leak from the pump.

To the guys who have done more than 1 lac kms on their civic's how long do you expect the car to run or last before you decide to let it go.

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 13:05   #6116
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,837 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Thanks guys but i have already got the PS overhaul done .The gasket, O rings were busted so there was a leak from the pump.
Thanks
From where did you get the job done? Was it outside HASS? I think Honda ASC is only interested in changing the entire steering box/ pump for addressing the leakage which would cost upwards of 50K; but since you got an overhaul done, I am assuming that you got it done at an FNG. How much did it cost and how is the car faring now? Are gaskets and O rings available separately for the purpose?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 13:58   #6117
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
From where did you get the job done? Was it outside HASS? I think Honda ASC is only interested in changing the entire steering box/ pump for addressing the leakage which would cost upwards of 50K; but since you got an overhaul done, I am assuming that you got it done at an FNG. How much did it cost and how is the car faring now? Are gaskets and O rings available separately for the purpose?
Got it done from a garage for 5450.6 months warranty on work.The car is ok but i have been asked to monitor the oil level in the PS reservoir periodically.I am not sure about the gaskets etc.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 14:34   #6118
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,837 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Got it done from a garage for 5450.6 months warranty on work.The car is ok but i have been asked to monitor the oil level in the PS reservoir periodically.I am not sure about the gaskets etc.
Reasonable price I would say if the job holds up well. I was told by HASS that overfilling the PS oil container can also lead to leakages due to high pressure build up. They advised not to fill the container beyond the 'Max' mark.

Last edited by saket77 : 20th December 2014 at 14:37. Reason: typo
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 15:31   #6119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Thanks guys but i have already got the PS overhaul done .The gasket, O rings were busted so there was a leak from the pump.

To the guys who have done more than 1 lac kms on their civic's how long do you expect the car to run or last before you decide to let it go.

Thanks
It's over 1 Lakh kms and I've still not decided when to let go of this baby! I'd say another 5 years, spares shouldn't be a problem.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 16:26   #6120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
My 2008 Civic M/T has squeaky clutch from very long time, and now it is more persistent. HASS used to put some lube everytime I complain, but issue keep coming back. Sometime it does not happen, and I have noticed drive is smooth and clutch is relatively easier to press. Does this indicate time to do clutch replacement ?.

Is there any good private workshop in Bangalore whom I can check with ?. I stay in sarjapur road area.

Also, I lost/misplaced my duplicate key. HASS says it cost more that 12k to get a duplicate done, and also need some affidavit . Is it possible to get a duplicate from road-side key shops ?. I saw they have put honda's key in their banner.
Any input ? I need to go for a long drive..
swageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1155 5th December 2016 21:02
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks