Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 07:33   #6556
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,358
Thanked: 741 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I have 4 Michelin XM2 (205/15/R65) tyres in my Civic which have done around 11,000 kms. The stepney is the original Goodyear NCT (195/15/R65) which is now almost 8 years old and completely unused/new. Now I am looking for options on what to do with this tyre. The options that I have thought of are:

1. Chuck the old tyre and buy another new Michelin XM2 205/65/R15 (can I use this new tyre as a part of the tyre rotation, when i get it done next time)
2. Chuck the old tyre and buy Nankang 205/65/R15 (and save some money in the bargain. Use this tyre only as a stepney)
3. Stay with the GY NCT 195/65/R15 as the stepney (Should I expect any issues using a different sized tyre for some distance in case I need to replace any of the punctured tyre. Also, is it safe to use an 8 year old tyre, even as a stepney).

Look forward to inputs from the experts.
Well i am no expert but 8 years for any tyre whether used or unused is stretching it's life too far. God knows how the rubber would behave at higher speeds. On a car like Civic where it is easy to reach triple double digit speeds unknowingly at times it's best not to have a 8 year tyre running on the car even temporarily.

If i were you i would buy a new and a relative cheap but still dependable tyre of same size and use it only as a stepney. Also try carrying a portable tyre inflator like the ResQTech Micro Tyre Inflator available on Amazon for emergencies and reducing your dependability on the stepney. It cost only 1000 Rs.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 13:12   #6557
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 304
Thanked: 169 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

My 2007 Civic has an issue with the Driver door. The outer skin was changed and painted after a bike rammed into it. This was done at Honda Service - Whitefield Honda.

However after a couple if years the door has developed deep waves which look awful. I went to them and showed and they said this is expected. The option they suggest is to replace the whole door. And it costs a bomb.

I was wondering if I could source an old door from a junked/disposed car from any junk-yards of salvaged cars instead of buying a new one from Honda as it is hugely expensive at Honda. Just in case a driver door in good condition could be found.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Last edited by nareshtrao : 6th May 2015 at 13:13.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2015, 16:58   #6558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If i were you i would buy a new and a relative cheap but still dependable tyre of same size and use it only as a stepney. Also try carrying a portable tyre inflator like the ResQTech Micro Tyre Inflator available on Amazon for emergencies and reducing your dependability on the stepney. It cost only 1000 Rs.
Thanks Sumeet, finally I decided to not be a penny pincher and go with a proper stepney replacement; ended with one Pirelli Cinturato which put me back by Rs.5,600. And yes, I already carry a portable tyre inflator in my car.

Last edited by civic-dk : 6th May 2015 at 16:59. Reason: Needed to add further.
civic-dk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 01:33   #6559
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 245 Times
Default Honda Civic Maintenance and Service Costs and Must dos

Need some urgent assistance -

My 07 civic V-AT is giving some troubles off late. It refuses to start at times. I turn on the ignition and all the lights come on as usual. When the try to crank the car, the starter motor doesn't crank. Audio system goes off as usual when i crank too. Its a 1 month old battery. I checked the voltage reading of the battery and it shows 12.4 and it charges at 14.4 when the engine is on. While cranking it shows 11.4 volts. When the car refuses to start, i use jumper cables and with assistance from another car if i crank, the starter motor works and brings the car back to life. What could be the reason?

Also, is there a mechanism/program in civics that the starter motor wont work unless there is enough juice in the battery? Maybe to save the starter motor from low voltage cranks?

I tried looking in the manual but couldn't find a related fuse. Any pointers as to where i can find a related fuse ?

Last edited by kingofmyworld : 8th May 2015 at 01:35.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 03:01   #6560
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 4,528 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
When the car refuses to start, i use jumper cables and with assistance from another car if i crank, the starter motor works and brings the car back to life. What could be the reason?

Also, is there a mechanism/program in civics that the starter motor wont work unless there is enough juice in the battery? Maybe to save the starter motor from low voltage cranks?

I tried looking in the manual but couldn't find a related fuse. Any pointers as to where i can find a related fuse ?
So, it won't start (starter motor won't work) with its own battery, but it will start (starter motor engages) when you use jumper cables?

If that is the case I would still suspect your own car battery. Even though it is new and the voltages you are measuring are ok. I would get the battery checked. Or just swap the battery with another one, you know is ok. Eg. the battery from the car you use the jumpers on.

As long as your car starts by means of jumpers, it means, in essence, everything is ok. Not sure where you attach your jumper to, but the one thing you might want to check is the various connections of the + and - lead on your cars battery. If one of them is loose or corroded that could explain.

Good luck,
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 09:23   #6561
BHPian
 
kingofmyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad / pensylvania.
Posts: 788
Thanked: 245 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So, it won't start (starter motor won't work) with its own battery, but it will start (starter motor engages) when you use jumper cables?



If that is the case I would still suspect your own car battery. Even though it is new and the voltages you are measuring are ok. I would get the battery checked. Or just swap the battery with another one, you know is ok. Eg. the battery from the car you use the jumpers on.



As long as your car starts by means of jumpers, it means, in essence, everything is ok. Not sure where you attach your jumper to, but the one thing you might want to check is the various connections of the + and - lead on your cars battery. If one of them is loose or corroded that could explain.



Good luck,

Jeroen

Yes it always works with jumpers. car starts with my own battery without the help of jumpers at times but sometimes it fails. Ill get a new battery today and see if it helps.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 09:34   #6562
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,547
Thanked: 5,812 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Yes it always works with jumpers. car starts with my own battery without the help of jumpers at times but sometimes it fails. Ill get a new battery today and see if it helps.
I too have a feeling its your battery. Probably you can replace it under warranty.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 09:43   #6563
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,640
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Yes it always works with jumpers. car starts with my own battery without the help of jumpers at times but sometimes it fails. Ill get a new battery today and see if it helps.
I had a problem in my brand new Civic due to a loose screw in the master fuse box. What you describe sounds like something similar -- may be a poor earth.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 10:08   #6564
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
My 2007 Civic has an issue with the Driver door. The outer skin was changed and painted after a bike rammed into it. This was done at Honda Service - Whitefield Honda.

However after a couple if years the door has developed deep waves which look awful. I went to them and showed and they said this is expected. The option they suggest is to replace the whole door. And it costs a bomb.

I was wondering if I could source an old door from a junked/disposed car from any junk-yards of salvaged cars instead of buying a new one from Honda as it is hugely expensive at Honda. Just in case a driver door in good condition could be found.

Does anyone have any pointers?
Hey can you let me know the costs they have quoted for new door ? Also it will be of great help if you share some good quality pictures with various views. Garage should not be a problem, as you can always vouch for buy-back but make sure you get a new coat of paint on the used door. Ultimately It should Gel with your car.
spoth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 10:14   #6565
BHPian
 
nareshtrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 304
Thanked: 169 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
Hey can you let me know the costs they have quoted for new door ? .
Whitefield Honda quoted 40k for the new door. Not sure if it was the price with painting or without.

I am yet to source a used door though. Asked Dinesh from Trend Automobiles but he expressed his inability
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2015, 13:44   #6566
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,695
Thanked: 238 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Dropped off the Civic at the HASS for the yearly service. Though I was inclined to go to IGNITE, the distance from home and my tight schedule made me decide in favour of HASS this time.

1. The car has clocked 17K KMS now and I have asked for the 20K service to be done along with the synthetic oil change and air filter change.

2. The issue of the noise from the front strut while turning the steering at low speeds has cropped up again so have asked for that to be checked (only check not change anything).

3. When I did my wheel alignment last time (not at HASS), I was told that only the 'Toe' setting can be adjusted and the other two 'caster' and 'camber' could be adjusted only at the HASS. I didnt buy that but still have asked those readings to be checked today. Not sure but my understanding is that 'caster' is the one that cannot be changed. The SA gave me a different story today stating that only 'Toe' can be adjusted and the other two cannot be which is something I have also read in an article that modern cars only have 'Toe' adjustment and the other two cant be adjusted thanks to the McPherson strut.

4. Was offered the A/C disinfectant treatment which I politely declined.

Estimate given is 8.2K INR and the car is expected in the evening.

The SA tried to sell me the Anytime Warranty applicable for vehicles that are up to 6 years old. I was told this is similar to the standard warranty and the cost for one year for the Civic was 14K INR. I was unsure so have parked this one for later.

I managed to get the checklist for the different activities carried out during each service and have uploaded the same along with the labour charges for all Honda vehicles. Would like to hear from fellow BHPians if there are any steep
differences in charges compared to the HASS at your respective cities.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Periodic Maintenance Check Sheet - Honda Civic.pdf (50.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: pdf Labour Charges - Honda.pdf (272.7 KB, 128 views)
rr_zen is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 19:49   #6567
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Making a dash to Rishikesh tomm so getting the civic ready for the same. Very minor PS fluid leakage. I've topped it up right now. Advisable to take some along?
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 21:04   #6568
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,547
Thanked: 5,812 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Making a dash to Rishikesh tomm so getting the civic ready for the same. Very minor PS fluid leakage. I've topped it up right now. Advisable to take some along?
Carry some with you and make sure you don't do donuts with the car even if tempted
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 21:55   #6569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Carry some with you and make sure you don't do donuts with the car even if tempted
It's days like these when I get to test if my trusty workhorse still has it in her. Was quoted Rs 4k to repair the steering rack. Will get it done next week.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 19:58   #6570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Friends,

I am quoting from a website : -

"How to apply the handbrake

Applying the handbrake is crucial although the correct procedure is very important. Many drivers simply throw the car into gear (or Park in an automatic) and rip the handbrake on. In this case, it is the transmission that usually takes up most of the load and not the handbrake.

Whenever you are parking a car, especially on a hill, park and stop safely. At this point your standard footbrake should be holding the car stationary, select neutral no matter whether the car has an automatic or manual transmission and then pull on the handbrake. The correct way to apply the handbrake is to push the button in as you are pulling it on.

Avoid the clicking sound that comes due to not pressing the button. Once the handbrake is on, pull again firmly to hear one click and let your foot slowly off the footbrake. Now the parking brake holds the car’s weight.

The driver can not select 1st gear in a manual or Park mode in an automatic for added security. On a hill, always put the car in gear."


Is the expert right?


While we park the car for the night should we apply the handbrake or should we put the vehicle in 1st gear?


Thanks in advance.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1156 7th December 2016 09:12
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks