Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:12   #7036
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 115
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Went in for the ROGERAB suspension modulator for my 09 pre facelift civic. ALso, got the front lower arm bushes and linkers changed.
The Rogerabs are great and have added atleast an inch of height, and the rear does not bottom out on full load also. Earlier, 2 people at the back and my civic would scrape the speed breaker at our colony's exit.

No such problem now. The front end does now dive after going over rumple strips. I Am now wondering why i did not go for these suspension modulators before.

I don't know the long term effect or efficacy of this solution, but right now i am extremely satisfied and drive with much more confidence on Gurgaon's dilapidated roads. If they continue to work as they are working now, then they have taken care of the biggest issue with Civic, which was the low ground clearance.

ALso, a few months back, had a front end shunt.
The front headlight itself cost ~ 20K INR:Shockked

rgds
VineetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 14:54   #7037
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post

ALso, a few months back, had a front end shunt.
The front headlight itself cost ~ 20K INR:Shockked

rgds
You can get same outside for much less eg; spareshub.com its at 4.5 k
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:01   #7038
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 115
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can get same outside for much less eg; spareshub.com its at 4.5 k
This was about 3 months ago. It was not listed on spareshub then

rgds
VineetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:29   #7039
BHPian
 
1lokesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: MP-09, MH-02,
Posts: 206
Thanked: 204 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,

Now i am worried about my car as well ..... Did the sound come all the time in your car or seldom while hitting a pothole ?

Also the condenser fan is not a big deal and cost max 3.2k with labour 100 bucks. Got it done from sanatcruz west Gomes Auto Khira Nagar. Make sure the fan make is Denso. My radiator fan went kaput in a month after changing the ac fan as well so i had that changed from Gomes as well. You can check my Civic thread for details.


Thanks
Hi Sumeet,

The noise doesn't come all the time. It depends on the severity of the bump, speed and turning radius. It has to be a sudden pothole/bump with a 30kmph+ speed.

For AC condenser, will try Unicool and see what he has to say before I go for replacement.

Cheers,
1lokesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:17   #7040
BHPian
 
XtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kochi
Posts: 46
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Also the ad on olx claimed the car have a one month old CNG kit. And owner has not driven much on CNG. As I intend to convert it to CNG after buying it was a stright saving for me as the car was not driven much on CNG and I was getting the kit along.
I know its your choice, but please dont put a CNG/LPG kit on cars like Civic. These machines will last long with a little care and is always a delightful drive. Putting a CNG kit ruins it.

Bought myself a used pre-facelifted Civic and still going strong with 156K on odo. PS issues and engine mounting problem wasnt a deal breaker because we only need to change it once atmost and doesnt cost a bomb if done from outside HASS. So dont let that be a reason for barring the pre-facelifted Civic. Although cruise control on facelifted Civic is worth considering.

Last edited by XtremeTorque : 23rd November 2015 at 22:19.
XtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 04:18   #7041
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 241
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeTorque View Post
I know its your choice, but please dont put a CNG/LPG kit on cars like Civic. These machines will last long with a little care and is always a delightful drive. Putting a CNG kit ruins it.
Hey,

I mentioned earlier my monthly running is 3k plus kms. I can't drive on Petrol. Moreover I have been driving CNG cars since 2009 and what my experience says if tuned and maintained properly it doesn't harm much to drive on cng. The performance will be at par and the running cost becomes less than half per kilometre. About prefacelifted model the reason I am not considering them is because of the known issues plus their high mileage. I have seen 4 civics so far. 2 new shape and two old. And all 4 were with Individuals. Out of the 4, 3 had their odo tampered as checked by Honda and I didn't like the fourth car hence did not bother to check with Honda. I have had a carb esteem before and have an mpfi one now. Though I love Esteem to the core but both of these cars have given me nightmares with respect to maintainance. I am looking for a car which I can keep for 3-4 years. Will be driven about a lac kms in this duration. I need piece of mind hence looking for a Civic and not a Laura otherwise I don't really like Japanese and am a fan of European cars because of the build quality.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 09:02   #7042
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,543
Thanked: 5,758 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey,

I mentioned earlier my monthly running is 3k plus kms. I can't drive on Petrol. Moreover I have been driving CNG cars since 2009 and what my experience says if tuned and maintained properly it doesn't harm much to drive on cng. The performance will be at par and the running cost becomes less than half per kilometre. About prefacelifted model the reason I am not considering them is because of the known issues plus their high mileage. I have seen 4 civics so far. 2 new shape and two old. And all 4 were with Individuals. Out of the 4, 3 had their odo tampered as checked by Honda and I didn't like the fourth car hence did not bother to check with Honda. I have had a carb esteem before and have an mpfi one now. Though I love Esteem to the core but both of these cars have given me nightmares with respect to maintainance. I am looking for a car which I can keep for 3-4 years. Will be driven about a lac kms in this duration. I need piece of mind hence looking for a Civic and not a Laura otherwise I don't really like Japanese and am a fan of European cars because of the build quality.

nIk
I think you must look for a diesel.
Any ways the maintenance on the components that needs to be replaced in your usage of 3 years + 1 lakh Kms will be at least 40% of your purchase cost considering 4 to 5 lakhs.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 10:43   #7043
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,829 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Guys, need to top up the hydraulic steering fluid.

Is a regular Waxpol fluid sold over the counter good enough for the Civic or I need to buy one from Honda ASC? Is there any specific grade (?) for hydraulic steering fluids which we need for the Civic? Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks in anticipation of help.
Saket.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 10:48   #7044
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Guys, need to top up the hydraulic steering fluid.

Is a regular Waxpol fluid sold over the counter good enough for the Civic or I need to buy one from Honda ASC? Is there any specific grade (?) for hydraulic steering fluids which we need for the Civic? Any other tips are welcome.

Thanks in anticipation of help.
Saket.
I use Castrol power steering fluid... I should have a bottle lying in car somewhere. Will try to find and grab a pic of the bottle for you.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 10:52   #7045
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,829 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I use Castrol power steering fluid... I should have a bottle lying in car somewhere. Will try to find and grab a pic of the bottle for you.
Thanks. Are they generic or carry a specific grade of oil?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 16:00   #7046
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 241
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I think you must look for a diesel.
Any ways the maintenance on the components that needs to be replaced in your usage of 3 years + 1 lakh Kms will be at least 40% of your purchase cost considering 4 to 5 lakhs.
Hi laluks,

There are not too many options in diesel in the segmnt.as I don't want to buy a german and Altis Diesel commands a very high resale value in the used car market. Even when looking at C segments my brother has a fluidic Verna and we are not very happy with the car. I wouldn't want a Vento or Rapid. I find linea to be under powered. SX4 diesel is one option but I already had a petrol one and I don't want to buy one again. Moreover I am finding it hard to find a low run Civic in the market so I am sure finding a low run diesel will be even more difficult. About maintenance, this is the only reason I have extended my budget to get a 2010 model rather than 2007 model. I want the 1st year of ownership to be pieceful and if the car doesn't trouble me in the first year of ownership then I can easily maintain it in the coming years. I have spent some 60k in maintaining my Esteem in last one year. Also would request you if you could give me the break up of things you have considered under this 40%.

Thanks
nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 20:33   #7047
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 24
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,

Now i am worried about my car as well because even i have this metallic sound when the right side goes over a pothole. But this does not happen all the time and i have been to Honda for 2-3 occassions but they never came back saying the axle needs repair so i am hoping it's something else. Did the sound come all the time in your car or seldom while hitting a pothole ?
Now I have the same problem as well, few as in 6 months back I had the lower control arm bushes (the bigger ones only) changed at Hass and ball joints, tie rods inner/ outer all of TRW make changed at FNG and the sound had gone out.

Now after 6-7 months duration approx the sound is back, when I am hitting the right side on pothole or bump at around speed of 25-30 KPH or taking a right turn and hitting a pot hole at similar speeds. What I assume is its the lower control arm gone bad since Hass does not provide the smaller bush for the lca, that might be the culprit in this case. Its a fairly audible clunk, what I understand is it comes from the ball joint hitting on the metal plate behind the brake disc rotor, nothing much alarming than that, as in anything about to give way from the suspension parts .
amitsatpathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 22:06   #7048
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,829 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
You can get same outside for much less eg; spareshub.com its at 4.5 k
Ghai spares in Delhi- approx 3k. Not affiliated with them in anyway. Enquired the cost for my cousin's car. He needs a new RHS ORVM too.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 22:54   #7049
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20151124_202515.jpg

What is a sub frame mount ? Tranny mount ? Local bushes (lower arm have minor cut) and the evergreen PS rack leak has been diagnosed again for my car

How critical is this mount ?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 24th November 2015 at 23:10.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 09:38   #7050
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Thanks. Are they generic or carry a specific grade of oil?
I don't think there is a grade mentioned. Its a dual purpose ATF & Power Steering Fluid. Here is a pic for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20151125_092700.jpg  


Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th November 2015 at 10:05. Reason: Typo.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1151 29th November 2016 17:58
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks