Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2015, 22:05   #7156
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,361
Thanked: 741 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Any other reliable FNG for Honda cars around Bandra-Khar-S'cruz?



The SA called back & said there was an oil leak in the spool valve & it'll need to be replaced. The SA is usually reliable so, going out on a limb & trusting him.
Approximate estimate is Rs. 3000 with labour, according to Linkway Honda, Goregaon. Unluckily for me, the part is not readily available & the car will mostly be delivered on 2nd January, 2016!
3k seems ok not large a sum to warrant a second opinion so i would go the Honda service center way. As far as fng i am myself stumped to find a fng. I am looking at Devabhai in chembur area. Nakita is reliable just he is more into Marutis. Civic spares do take time to arrive and take min 3 days for non regular items so the wait period is normal.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 22:43   #7157
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 244
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hey, Yash,

Sad to hear the situation with your car. Luckily the estimate you have got is not too much to pay to get her back to glory. Congrats on the new Car.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 23:32   #7158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
3k seems ok not large a sum to warrant a second opinion so i would go the Honda service center way. As far as fng i am myself stumped to find a fng. I am looking at Devabhai in chembur area. Nakita is reliable just he is more into Marutis. Civic spares do take time to arrive and take min 3 days for non regular items so the wait period is normal.
Chembur is pretty far from where I'm staying so, I guess will have to stick to the local ones in my area. They hadn't let me down with my 2000 1.6 Ikon(which did have a LOT of small niggles & hiccups) & they seem to be pretty reliable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey, Yash,

Sad to hear the situation with your car. Luckily the estimate you have got is not too much to pay to get her back to glory. Congrats on the new Car.

nIk
Yeah, it isn't. Seems okay, I guess. Just hoping the car is all okay after this issue.
yash1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 11:46   #7159
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 471
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
The SA called back & said there was an oil leak in the spool valve & it'll need to be replaced. The SA is usually reliable so, going out on a limb & trusting him.
Approximate estimate is Rs. 3000 with labour, according to Linkway Honda, Goregaon. Unluckily for me, the part is not readily available & the car will mostly be delivered on 2nd January, 2016!
Ok. Good that it is not costing a bomb.

Since the SA is mentioning Spool Valve, this looks to be a leakage of power steering oil.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 11:57   #7160
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 244
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Hey guys,

Doesn't the facelifted Civic come with bluetooth telephony and distance to empty feature in the car. I can see provision for a mic where we have the csbin lights but can not find this feature. Also not able to find DTE. I was under an impression that the facelifted civic has these features. Also wanted to know if it's possible to get stereo controls on the steering wheel and if some one has tried doing that on the forum. I read an article on pakwheelz. If not not the steering wheel controls than can anybody tell me from where I can get a remote for this stereo. I find it really difficult to operate it through the panel. I am used to remotes and steering control.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 12:10   #7161
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Ok. Good that it is not costing a bomb.

Since the SA is mentioning Spool Valve, this looks to be a leakage of power steering oil.
I am certain it was engine oil due to its dripping onto my parking spot and a FNG confirming the same! The car had earlier visited the same service centre(Linkway Honda, Goregaon) for power steering leakage and had already undergone a full overhaul for the same!
yash1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 12:24   #7162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 471
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
I am certain it was engine oil due to its dripping onto my parking spot and a FNG confirming the same! The car had earlier visited the same service centre(Linkway Honda, Goregaon) for power steering leakage and had already undergone a full overhaul for the same!
I see.

I am under impression that there is no spool valve in the engine oil circuit. The engine oil does not come out of the block and head and there is no external valve in the oil path.

If possible, just get some information about my above query from the SA and post it here for all of us.

Thanks.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 12:42   #7163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bombay
Posts: 39
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I see.

I am under impression that there is no spool valve in the engine oil circuit. The engine oil does not come out of the block and head and there is no external valve in the oil path.

If possible, just get some information about my above query from the SA and post it here for all of us.

Thanks.
Will definitely do that, Rahul!
yash1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2015, 13:23   #7164
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,361
Thanked: 741 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Chembur is pretty far from where I'm staying so, I guess will have to stick to the local ones in my area. They hadn't let me down with my 2000 1.6 Ikon(which did have a LOT of small niggles & hiccups) & they seem to be pretty reliable!



Yeah, it isn't. Seems okay, I guess. Just hoping the car is all okay after this issue.
Yes they are reliable for small things but i have also found them good for a suspension overhaul for my Civic. But joe is not fond of Civics and i had a unplesant experience with him.They did direct you to Honda service centre when you got your Civic to him didn't they without attempting to fix it themselves hence i had said to avoid them. Anyways i live around santacruz and still looking at chembur for lack of a good fng here. Keep us posted on the issue buddy.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 04:43   #7165
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 244
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey guys,

Doesn't the facelifted Civic come with bluetooth telephony and distance to empty feature in the car. I can see provision for a mic where we have the csbin lights but can not find this feature. Also not able to find DTE. I was under an impression that the facelifted civic has these features. Also wanted to know if it's possible to get stereo controls on the steering wheel and if some one has tried doing that on the forum. I read an article on pakwheelz. If not not the steering wheel controls than can anybody tell me from where I can get a remote for this stereo. I find it really difficult to operate it through the panel. I am used to remotes and steering control.
Hi guys!!

Any inputs on this ???
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2016, 15:18   #7166
Senior - BHPian
 
rr_zen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,695
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi guys!!

Any inputs on this ???
Nope. The facelifted Civic does not come with DTE or Bluetooth. What you see next to the cabin light is not a mic for sure. On your query on the steering mounted audio controls, few bhpians have attempted in in the forum. You may want to do a keyword search to get to the right threads.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 13:19   #7167
BHPian
 
nik0502's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon/Jind
Posts: 244
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Hi guys,

My biggest nightmare has come true. The power steering in my car has a leak. It's been driven only 43k kms. So much of Japanese reliability. I had gone for wheel alignment and when the alignment guy raised the car to check for the suspension I saw there was a leak. Confused I started checking oil levels everywhere and the PS oil was low. I took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed it to a leaking hose. As per him the rack is fine and there is no trace of oil on the rack. The pump seems to be okay but the hose where it connects to the pump is leaking. My mechanic says he can get it repaired by a hydraulic press shop. He will open the car at my place so that it's not lying unsafe in a garage or outside. He will take the pipe with him and give it to the press shop guy and fit it back in my car the next day. I enquired at a local shop and the part is unavailable and gave me a quote of 8k plus if I order. I am not sure what should I do. How do I determine it's the PS hose and not pump or something else before I go ahead and get the car opened. I have topped up the PS oil for now with a Castrol ATF oil and it took 200 ml approx. I have driven close to 1000 kms in last 10 days.

Edit :- checked with local Honda dealer at my place and they also don't have PS hose in stock and it will take some time to arrange for the part.

Last edited by nik0502 : 7th January 2016 at 13:27.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 14:15   #7168
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,060 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@nik0502; Civic spares are normally to order, and most are imported and so are expensive. Also, if you look in my thread on my Civic you will find that Pearl Honda (Gurgon) charged me ₹150 for a fuse which I got for ₹21 from the Kanpur dealer. both original Honda parts!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 17:29   #7169
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,361
Thanked: 741 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi guys,

My biggest nightmare has come true. The power steering in my car has a leak. It's been driven only 43k kms. So much of Japanese reliability. I had gone for wheel alignment and when the alignment guy raised the car to check for the suspension I saw there was a leak. Confused I started checking oil levels everywhere and the PS oil was low. I took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed it to a leaking hose. As per him the rack is fine and there is no trace of oil on the rack. The pump seems to be okay but the hose where it connects to the pump is leaking. My mechanic says he can get it repaired by a hydraulic press shop. He will open the car at my place so that it's not lying unsafe in a garage or outside. He will take the pipe with him and give it to the press shop guy and fit it back in my car the next day. I enquired at a local shop and the part is unavailable and gave me a quote of 8k plus if I order. I am not sure what should I do. How do I determine it's the PS hose and not pump or something else before I go ahead and get the car opened. I have topped up the PS oil for now with a Castrol ATF oil and it took 200 ml approx. I have driven close to 1000 kms in last 10 days.

Edit :- checked with local Honda dealer at my place and they also don't have PS hose in stock and it will take some time to arrange for the part.
I dont know about pressing the hose but a new hose cost me 7.5k including labour but this was in 2012. If the guy gives min 6 months warranty on his work and is cheap the go ahead else best is to get a new original hose. At Honda the hose itself will cost 12 to14k. Also was this not inspected before buying the car.

Chec out below links

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3602302

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3859032

You will haveto takea light and see if the pump area is smeared by oil. If the mechanic is competent then you can be sure its the hose. Both above cases are leaks where the pump is the source.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th January 2016 at 17:40.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 18:41   #7170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,646
Thanked: 3,060 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Essentially the mechanic thinks the crimp has failed, and if so then a fresh crimp will solve the problem. Looks like a reasonable approach to me.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1157 9th December 2016 20:05
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks