Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2016, 09:13   #7576
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,050 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Folks remember those doing 2500km per month are not likely to be pottering about town, so the bulk of the running in on highways. I for one would have gone even higher. Remember worldwide the oi, change interval is about 10,000/12,000 MILES. Multiply by 1.6 to get the km!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 09:59   #7577
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dombivli/Gurgao
Posts: 2,512
Thanked: 988 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Why not check the oil after 10k and then decide? Road conditions or traffic conditions might affect the oil, such as if you are doing more of a start-stop driving or lots of short distances, you might need an oil change earlier than if you were doing long drives at consistent speeds.

So at the end of the 10k running or after 12 months whichever is earlier, just check the condition of the oil and decide if it's good to go for another month or so.

Usually a blackish colour means the oil needs replacement.
honeybee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 10:01   #7578
Senior - BHPian
 
Ace F355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 1,086
Thanked: 1,232 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I would say the 15k service interval is just a marketing gimmick. I would not push the engine oil in what is described as harsh driving conditions that Indian roads are known for. Personally i would not push the oil in the cng Civic for more than 10k. In theory cng burns hotter than petrol i think, this might expedite the degradation of the engine oil making it lose its properties sooner. Just an assumption but i change oil every 9k or six months just because my Civic's on cng too.
with Sumeet here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Ace F355,

I agree Indian conditions are harsh, however VW and Skoda both have 15K service interval with synthetic oil in the our Indian conditions and do just fine. I am surprised why not Honda. I have switched to CNG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hey Sumeet,

I will probably keep on getting it serviced at 10K interval just for the peace of mind however I do not think 15K interval is a marketing gimmick. A close friend has a Rapid DSG and it does fine for those 15 K Kms.
One man's fine is another man's _____ (if you know what I mean). Therefore, at the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference on what you feel is okay for you/your car. I have stuck with 10k intervals with my cars and would recommend the same.

Here is an interesting thread for you to look over.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ou-adhere.html (What oil change interval do you adhere to?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I am glad to see someone from my hometown on the forum.


Fellow BHPian Bluevolt is from Jind as well. His Honda City thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...nst-world.html (It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Folks remember those doing 2500km per month are not likely to be pottering about town, so the bulk of the running in on highways. I for one would have gone even higher. Remember worldwide the oi, change interval is about 10,000/12,000 MILES. Multiply by 1.6 to get the km!
Yes Professor. I agree with that logic too. It works like a charm in developed countries. I used to follow 10k miles on my Mazda Millenia S in Canada (it was imported from the US, hence had mile based recommendations). However, I would not stress the engine in India with that high mileage between oil changes. Like I said, at the end of the day it a personal preference on what okay for your car according to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Why not check the oil after 10k and then decide? Road conditions or traffic conditions might affect the oil, such as if you are doing more of a start-stop driving or lots of short distances, you might need an oil change earlier than if you were doing long drives at consistent speeds.

So at the end of the 10k running or after 12 months whichever is earlier, just check the condition of the oil and decide if it's good to go for another month or so.

Usually a blackish colour means the oil needs replacement.
With diesels, run a new engine oil and it will turn black within 500 kms. Not so quickly with petrols. Viscosity is the key there. A few times, my Mechanic took out the dipstick and felt the oil, looked at me and said the oil seems okay for another 1-2k kms. So-n-So people use their oil for much longer.

I smiled and replied, I love my car too much to do this. I would rather change the oil earlier than recommended than pushing the boundaries there.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 15th June 2016 at 10:11.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 22:05   #7579
BHPian
 
KaandBaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 155
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hello Folks,

I am about to purchase a Civic in a day or two. After scanning the market and test driving a few cars, I have decided on a car. Its a 2008 , V variant, has full service history, new tires, has run 81,000 kms. The asking price was 4,00,000. I have negotiated on 3,45,000.

Can you people please guide me on tips to check before I take the delivery. Also tomorrow I have decided to take it to Deccan Honda for a check-up. Any heads up would be appreciated.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 23:16   #7580
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Hello Folks,

I am about to purchase a Civic in a day or two. After scanning the market and test driving a few cars, I have decided on a car. Its a 2008 , V variant, has full service history, new tires, has run 81,000 kms. The asking price was 4,00,000. I have negotiated on 3,45,000.

Can you people please guide me on tips to check before I take the delivery. Also tomorrow I have decided to take it to Deccan Honda for a check-up. Any heads up would be appreciated.
Check for engine mount issue , steering rack leakage, power steering pump leakage,busted rubber bushes and also check the ac for cooling effectiveness. Rest of the stuff should be standard for any other car eg worn out tyres, shocks, accident repair, brake pads etc.

If its a auto make sure the D light is not blinking. This will mean issue with tranny and that car should be avoided.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 23:23   #7581
BHPian
 
KaandBaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 155
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Check for engine mount issue , steering rack leakage, power steering pump leakage,busted rubber bushes and also check the ac for cooling effectiveness. Rest of the stuff should be standard for any other car eg worn out tyres, shocks, accident repair, brake pads etc.

If its a auto make sure the D light is not blinking. This will mean issue with tranny and that car should be avoided.
Its a manual transmission, the mounts were recently changed. Taking the car tomorrow to a FNG as well as Deccan Honda for further checks. Just felt while taking a test ride as the clutch to be a bit hard. Can you comment on the cost for the same, if it needs to be replaced. e.g Master cylinder or clutch plate.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 08:19   #7582
Senior - BHPian
 
sumeethaldankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,356
Thanked: 740 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Its a manual transmission, the mounts were recently changed. Taking the car tomorrow to a FNG as well as Deccan Honda for further checks. Just felt while taking a test ride as the clutch to be a bit hard. Can you comment on the cost for the same, if it needs to be replaced. e.g Master cylinder or clutch plate.
A clutch overhaul along with flywheel skimming should at a good garage should be in the range of 10 to 12k max. The clutch slave and master cylinder at Honda should be cost around 10k to 15k min . Check clutch fluid before going for overhaul etc. In case the cylinders are kaput the clutch feels limp and has to be pushed hard to the floor for engaging.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 16:46   #7583
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

So I finally got around to changing the front suspension set up as there was a metallic thud everytime i hit a rough patch from the right strut as it had worn off. Had changed the linking earlier.

I got the following:

A new pair of struts for Rs 6000.
And the mounting for Rs 1500.
Labour - Rs 400.
Total Damage - Rs 7900

Shop: Ghai Spares, New Delhi.

Peace of mind - priceless. The noise is gone and handling bad roads is a breeze.

I've booked for the 1,30,000 Kms service tomm. Is this a major service? Any specific things I need to keep in mind?

Last edited by coolkurt : 21st June 2016 at 16:54.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 18:20   #7584
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi coolkurt.
This comes at just the right time. I had given my Civic to the HASS as my engine mount had given up and needed to be changed. When i got it back the car was bouncing and bottoming like crazy and when i took it back to them they told me that all the dampers need replacing. They're quoting INR 8000 per front damper and INR 4500 per rear damper. Looking at what you paid there's a HUGE difference in cost. Could you please tell me what was the brand of the dampers that you purchased ?
Have any other members replaced the dampers on their Civics and if so have you'll used the Honda original spares or some other brand ?
I'd love to put Tein / Koni / Bilstein but i'm sure i can't afford those :(

Thanks in advance guys. Awaiting your inputs.
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 08:13   #7585
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi coolkurt.
This comes at just the right time. I had given my Civic to the HASS as my engine mount had given up and needed to be changed. When i got it back the car was bouncing and bottoming like crazy and when i took it back to them they told me that all the dampers need replacing. They're quoting INR 8000 per front damper and INR 4500 per rear damper. Looking at what you paid there's a HUGE difference in cost. Could you please tell me what was the brand of the dampers that you purchased ?
Have any other members replaced the dampers on their Civics and if so have you'll used the Honda original spares or some other brand ?
I'd love to put Tein / Koni / Bilstein but i'm sure i can't afford those :(

Thanks in advance guys. Awaiting your inputs.
Greetings

Well the original struts were from Munjal. But I don't think they make them anymore or they're clearly not available, probably only at HASS. I don't remember the brand but the folks at Ghai Spares gave me two options - One set Costing 6k which is oem and the other set costing 4k. The latter is pretty good too and does the job really well.

I'll try and enquire the brand. or else, you're free to Call up Ghai Spares - 098-102-99709.

I'm happy with the struts I got. As good as the Munjal ones. And I've got a friend who bought the 4k ones 6 months back and they're doing a great job too.

Last edited by coolkurt : 28th June 2016 at 08:15.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 11:40   #7586
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,050 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@coolkurt; It is tough to evaluate struts esp their long term performance. I will spend the 2000 extra and go with the OEMs. Whether a strut lasts for six months or six years is a very tough call.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2016, 16:40   #7587
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

@coolkurt
Just to clarify, did you pay 6000 per strut or for the pair ?
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 06:31   #7588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@coolkurt; It is tough to evaluate struts esp their long term performance. I will spend the 2000 extra and go with the OEMs. Whether a strut lasts for six months or six years is a very tough call.
Absolutely. Which is why I didn't risk it. Peace of mind is of utmost importance.

@revvhed

6k for a pair. The mounting costs another 1.5k. And the kit costs extra as well.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2016, 19:40   #7589
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,543
Thanked: 5,757 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Thanks to coolkurt, I received the engine bedding today.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-13569785_10208789839318871_281573350_o.jpg

Weekend I hope to replace it. Lift the car, remove 3 nuts and replace, as simple as that. Hopefully the jerks gets arrested with this.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2016, 07:20   #7590
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 624
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Despite all the doubts I had, the aftermarket engine mount lasted for 50k kms. I'd bought the same 2 years ago for Rs 1900 from Ghai. So I consider myself lucky that I got a decent quality part.
coolkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts gaurav_chopra04 Technical Stuff 1151 29th November 2016 17:58
Effective Resume/CV creation ,dos and donts ,suggestions . black12rr Shifting gears 29 26th April 2011 00:55
Darjeeling, Siliguri, Kalimpong - Must see and must eat? romyeo4u Route / Travel Queries 2 15th October 2008 22:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks