Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I have read about similar problems in various posts, and nearly the same happens to me regularly. After say, a week of parking, I start my car and release the hand-brake and put the auto in reverse, the car refuses to move! But in a few seconds there is a TAK,TAK noise as the brakes releases on its own and for a few seconds there are noises as the car moves as if the brake-pads are not fully released. But after these few seconds, everything is fine!
I feel that this is only a minor irritant, but if it can compromise the safety of the car then I should be worried.

But you say that the brakes were jammed after a few kms of driving. This has never happened to me, only when I start after a long parking.

Anyway there is one other problem relating to my brakes which has never been resolved. When I brake at high speeds (> 100 kmph) the whole car shudders and the steering vibrates. It could be due to the brake-disc being warped.

My AT has done 37,500 kms in around two years.
Did you check your discs? I think its time for a replacement. I had a similar issue where the car shudders and you sort of have a funny sound at times. You wouldn't feel it initially but once your brake starts heating up, you would feel it more and more. Take a break for sometime and it would disappear and then reappear.

My service engineer pointed out that my front discs had worn out (23,000 kms in 2 yrs) and told me to get it replaced. By the way I didn't even tell him the problem but he came back with that feedback and so I got it replaced. Cost 9.5K for both the discs and brake pads.

AT brakes will wear out faster. In how many kms depends on your driving. I use my civic almost exclusively for highway use and for pretty high speed driving.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:22   #77
BHPian

Civic Brake-disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Did you check your discs? I think its time for a replacement. I had a similar issue where the car shudders and you sort of have a funny sound at times. You wouldn't feel it initially but once your brake starts heating up, you would feel it more and more. Take a break for sometime and it would disappear and then reappear.

My service engineer pointed out that my front discs had worn out (23,000 kms in 2 yrs) and told me to get it replaced. By the way I didn't even tell him the problem but he came back with that feedback and so I got it replaced. Cost 9.5K for both the discs and brake pads.

AT brakes will wear out faster. In how many kms depends on your driving. I use my civic almost exclusively for highway use and for pretty high speed driving.
During the 35K Service, I personally stood with my vehicle when they checked the brake-pads. It seemed ok to me (at Sundaram Honda, Madurai).

I feel that, since my car is still under warranty (40K or 2 years), they are refusing to acknowledge that anything is wrong. I think that they will try to get the discs changed for a hefty rate after the warranty period.

Anyway from my previous experience with OHC 1.5 which I had for 8 years and clocked 1,26,000 kms, I never had any problem with the brake-discs. How can the brake-discs wear out at 38K kms? (only brake-pads are to be replaced based on usage, I believe that brake-discs must outlive the car's life or at-least last 1 lakh kms). Maybe they had been damaged on our pot-holed roads. I have many bad experiences on highways when I could not avoid hitting pot-holes at high speeds .
Old 20th March 2009, 16:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

Brake pads and discs fall under wear and tear items. You do not get warranty for those.

Discs can skimmed to remove irregularities which cause vibrations during high speed braking. But once the thickness goes below a threshold, you must replace them or face your chances with disc shattering during high stress moments.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Brake pads and discs fall under wear and tear items. You do not get warranty for those..
I second this thought.
In my case I have got the disc checked and they are perfectly fine also after 13 month of use with 9700 km on odo they are only may be 20% used.

I also think the break pads should last at least 50000 km for manual version dont know about AT. also if yu have used properly and get your disks checked egularly then they should last more than 100000 km at least.
Even My indica has original discs and it has clocked 100000 km in 5 years and I have changed pads only once at 65K km.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2012 at 14:06. Reason: STRICTLY no discussion on overspeeding
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:47   #80
BHPian

40K service soon

Will be going for 40K routine service in a month.
So far nothing major changed, except for 2 tyres NCT5 which lasted only 28.5K.
I had my rear tyres changed to MXV8.
40K is a 'major' service and I was told it will take two full days for it.
I will post the details regarding this service after I do it!
Old 24th March 2009, 08:08   #81
Senior - BHPian

I'm taking my machine for it's 6 months/10K service this week. I have a couple of things to take care of with it, so I hope everything goes well.

Good luck with your service!
Old 24th March 2009, 09:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

chance for a meetup (minus the delays of course ) ?
Old 24th March 2009, 11:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Haha, indeed. It's scheduled to be this Saturday. The Color Wheels dude agreed to fix up my fender properly (third time over, Jesus H. Christ). I'm pondering whether to take the car to him the day before so he gets time to do it properly or let Peninsular take it to him.
Old 25th March 2009, 23:03   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Haha, indeed. It's scheduled to be this Saturday. The Color Wheels dude agreed to fix up my fender properly (third time over, Jesus H. Christ). I'm pondering whether to take the car to him the day before so he gets time to do it properly or let Peninsular take it to him.
Whats the problem with your fender. I have replaced it (Rs 10k) and
has rattle from then on. Visited Capital Honda 3 times, no luck. Planning
to go again early Apr. I see they did a poor job in fixing the fender
Old 26th March 2009, 09:20   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
40K is a 'major' service and I was told it will take two full days for it.
This is Bovine excreta. No regular service (20K, 40K, 60K 80K ) should take more than 4 hours even done at a very slow pace. If done faster it takes just 2.5 hrs.
Old 26th March 2009, 09:37   #86
Senior - BHPian

I find the colour wheels dude rather annoying. when he screwed up, and i was complaining , he just kept smiling in a patronizing kind of way, as if it was my fault , and he'd agreed to fix it as if he was doing me a favour.

but then again, I don't know how the peninsular dudes are , and we all want so save money, dont we

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th March 2009 at 09:40.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:01   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Whats the problem with your fender. I have replaced it (Rs 10k) and
has rattle from then on. Visited Capital Honda 3 times, no luck. Planning
to go again early Apr. I see they did a poor job in fixing the fender
I had a small bump on it and had to get it reshaped and painted.

First time over, the paint quality was pathetic and they didn't get the lines right. I went to them and they made it extremely worse. Then I had to pull some strings and got them to repaint it for free, but they still didn't get the lines right. I went to color wheels, the place where Honda takes it, to fix a door scratch and the dude said it'll have to be repainted. He offered to properly finish and repaint the fender for free when I do the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I find the colour wheels dude rather annoying. when he screwed up, and i was complaining , he just kept smiling in a patronizing kind of way, as if it was my fault , and he'd agreed to fix it as if he was doing me a favour.

but then again, I don't know how the peninsular dudes are , and we all want so save money, dont we
The problem with Peninsular is two-fold.

1) They do not give enough time for color wheels to do the job properly.
2) They do not do what I want them to do.

We don't have options, do we?

Now contemplating whether I should get the door painted at all. color wheels dude is adamant he'll do the fender only when I do the door cuz he has to spend a lot of masking tape and all that jazz.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:33   #88
BANNED

Quote:

Wow. Honda get this painted outside their workshop, Color Wheels ?.

In chennai, they atleast claim they have a 'paint shope' within workshop itself.
Old 26th March 2009, 11:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We don't have options, do we?

Now contemplating whether I should get the door painted at all. color wheels dude is adamant he'll do the fender only when I do the door cuz he has to spend a lot of masking tape and all that jazz.
I guess we'll have to try ou rchances with the lesser of two evils.
Quote:

In chennai, they atleast claim they have a 'paint shope' within workshop itself.
No, officially, they dont claim to outsource. but i believe jkdas found out this was the place they were outsourcing , and they're a mostly competent bodyshop.
Old 26th March 2009, 12:05   #90
BHPian

Quote:

My leasing company never takes Hondas to the authorised service centres for body work, a scary thought for me so I try to be extra careful.

Most Viewed