Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2010, 10:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

You are keeping the Marina right? There is currently no replacement for it. Its sad that people here dont really know the capabilities of a Station Wagon. When it comes to versatility i badly miss my adventure :(
Old 3rd July 2010, 13:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

After its stable mates came, the Marina has been left to fend for itself.

My Tata Indigo Marina - its life so far!-image_233_medium.jpg

Stablemates relatively safe from the inclement weather:
My Tata Indigo Marina - its life so far!-image_234_medium.jpg

And was it raining!
Old 3rd July 2010, 21:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

The Marina still looks good. I wish that station wagons became more popular in India, they are so practical.
We seem to be stuck with the notion that a car with a boot is an upscale offering.

About the Marina standing in the rain, is it possible to provide some sort of protection? The reason I am saying this is because the rubber parts take a hammering if there is a sunny day right after a lot of rain. Atleast make sure that the door beadings (including the rubber stoppers lining up the window glass) are fine; rain water in the door would lead to early rusting.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The Marina still looks good.
Yes, and I love that shape.

Quote:
About the Marina standing in the rain, is it possible to provide some sort of protection?
Thank you for the concern. You are right.

Right now, that is where it stands, rain or sun! Let me see what I can do. I had a shed for the third car. I had to take it down to make a passage for the backyard where some construction is proposed.
Old 4th July 2010, 22:27   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Marina still looks good. I wish that station wagons became more popular in India, they are so practical.
We seem to be stuck with the notion that a car with a boot is an upscale offering.
So true. Station Wagons score poorly on the "image" factor, and hence haven't clicked in India. That said, there are other reasons too. When the Marina was launched, the initial market response was very positive. However, after about 2 quarters, demand started dying out. Reason:

1. Many complained that the air-con took longer to cool.

2. Parking within the city required additional effort.

3. You have all that space. But how often are you going to use it? I have rarely used the large trunk of my regular Indigo sedan to its fullest capacity. And, unlike the West, we really don't move too many television sets / furniture in our car (cheap labour = home delivery).

I can tell you that Marinas also suffer from poorer resale value vis a vis their booted sibling.
Old 4th July 2010, 22:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Many complained that the air-con took longer to cool.
Definitely something that needed looking into. An acquaintance of mine bought a Corsa Swing 1.6 and the A/C in that worked really well. The Swing though was a sales disaster.
Quote:
2. Parking within the city required additional effort.
Interesting point. I used to think that parking should actually be the same or easier (As long as the whole view was not blocked by cargo). Mainly because the rear windscreen gave a good idea about the rear extremity of the car, unlike a sedan where one has to guess how far the boot extends.
I have never driven a Marina though, so it is highly probable that I am wrong.
Quote:
3. You have all that space. But how often are you going to use it? I have rarely used the large trunk of my regular Indigo sedan to its fullest capacity. And, unlike the West, we really don't move too many television sets / furniture in our car (cheap labour = home delivery).

I can tell you that Marinas also suffer from poorer resale value vis a vis their booted sibling.
Yes, a very valid point. In the west everyone does their own work, including moving stuff. Neither do too may people travel with their pets, something a station wagon is perfect for.
This in my opinion is a very important insight, thanks for sharing.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:02   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Definitely something that needed looking into.
Though I have not used a regular Indigo, the Marina AC is a chiller at least for our parts of the country.

My Tata Indigo Marina - its life so far!-image_235.jpg
This was my AC settings yesterday afternoon after a meet 45kms from home. I was alone.

Quote:
I used to think that parking should actually be the same or easier (As long as the whole view was not blocked by cargo).
You are spot on! The parking is much much easier than a sedan. The visibility to the sides is excellent.

And as a business man I have used that boot for loading!

Last edited by trrk : 5th July 2010 at 13:08.
Old 5th July 2010, 13:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I have loved estates - whether the Volvos, or the Octi Combi's. The Marina too was smarter than it's sedan sibling. But the resale value of the Marina was/is definitely a problem.

Estates are a niche segment here, so it is always a problem selling or buying it.

The problem of parking is more a apprehension before people have used the Marina. Like Amartya & Trrk have said, it is actually more easier to judge parking in the Marina than in the Indigo.
Old 6th July 2010, 13:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Even I ahve not had many issues with the AC. Its a chiller for sure and many a times I ahve to set the thermostat to a much higher setting. And just dont get me started on the available space and the uses it can be put to, Lol simply awesome.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Recently, I found that brake lights were not functioning, that is, the rear lights were not coming on. The one on top of th eboot was working.

So the bulbs were changed in a local garage. They did some extra wiring and here is the result:

My Tata Indigo Marina - its life so far!-image228_medium.jpg

At about 69200 kms. the bulbs in the bottom portion came to life and so I have 5 individual red spots while braking.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:40   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
They did some extra wiring and here is the result:

At about 69200 kms. the bulbs in the bottom portion came to life and so I have 5 individual red spots while braking.
It looks good. I always wanted to do like that. But mine is older model indi. The newer models come with this type of light.
Old 10th July 2010, 21:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

The rear lamps look great. It is actually a great thing to have during the monsoons when visibility on the road can be severely reduced.
Old 10th July 2010, 23:09   #73
BHPian

The station wagons hold their own value. The marina is a very versatile vehicle and i guess she has been serving you well. I personally prefer the Marina over the Indigo.

OT - Where exactly is the construction of the building happening?
Alleppy is my hometown!
Old 11th July 2010, 11:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
It looks good. I always wanted to do like that.
I never got around to do it in my indica as it always went to a TASC and I never ever asked them to do more than the routine service. And since I was never good at DIY, never tried what was given in the Indica Yahoo group to enable that extra light.

Here again the mechanic did it on his own.

Quote:
The rear lamps look great. It is actually a great thing to have during the monsoons when visibility on the road can be severely reduced.
Thanks. It does look nice too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
well. I personally prefer the Marina over the Indigo.
I bought the Marina overruling my wife's preference for an Indigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
OT - Where exactly is the construction of the building happening?
Alleppy is my hometown!
Nothing is OT in my own threads. Good to know that you too are from Alleppey!

The construction is behind my house - about 150 kms north of Iron bridge on the eastern side of the road leading to YMCA.
Old 11th July 2010, 19:33   #75
BHPian

[quote=condor;1967561]I have loved estates - whether the Volvos, or the Octi Combi's. The Marina too was smarter than it's sedan sibling. But the resale value of the Marina was/is definitely a problem.

The comfort level of marina compared to other cabs while negotiating bumps and bad stretches is commendable. Have personally experienced it on airport picks of Meru.
Closed Thread