Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th December 2008, 00:08   #46
BHPian

@ariendj: Did not check whether they have removed the fabric material in the floor board. Thanks for reminding. I will check

The floor board lamination cost Rs 1000. I did it from Popular. I have heard that it is available in Indus Maruti as well(another dealer in Trivandrum). It should be easily available in all dealership. Even Car accessories shop can do it.

By the way I was really impressed by the reviews on X-treme Power. Also saw some videos in Youtube. It was extremely bright and the brightest you can get legally(55/60W). I called up MotorPLaza in Trivandrum , but they do not have it. They said it will come in two days, which I am sure was a lie.

@philippose: The Alloys are superb!!!! My heart is tempting me to go for alloys, but my brain is asking me to save that money for something else. By the way have you started any thread on your car?

@ankit.jhamb: So next service is on 5000km. Thank you sir!!

@white_vdi: So I have joined the club of people with Windscreen issues. It is difficult, but now I will adjust since its not an issue with a single car.Will keep it clean as possible
raj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 00:39   #47
BHPian

@raj84 : No raj i havent started any new thread on my car. Ill tell the stuff done on my car.
Tyres - 205/60 R14 G3 potenza
Alloys - Plati
Tint - Garware
Horn - Roots Vibrasonic(Welded the clamp behind the bumper as you can see it in the pic)
Headlight bulbs - Philips 130/100w rally bulbs with PMP relay(its daylight)
Reverse sensor - Xenos ( 4 button)
Other - exhaust tip and aluminium pedals
philippose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008, 14:58   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
@ariendj: Did not check whether they have removed the fabric material in the floor board. Thanks for reminding. I will check

They wont take the fabric matt, they just stick the Full Plastic matt over it.
thereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 01:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi raj,

Two days for laminating floor board and a regular free service. Trying to re-sell the OEM part to you. The extended warranty still wrong.

I'm surprised you didn't complain to MSIL! I'm sorry but this is all extrmely sloppy in my book!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 21:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemjohari View Post
yes swift comes with the low fuel indicater..but i suggest never touch that mark being a multijet deisel engine frm deisel i am not sure but it might get problem if some unwanted material frm low level deisel get into it
The mouth of the inlet pipe for the fuel pump is placed in a depression on the lowest point of the tank in all cars, trucks and planes. This ensures that the pump takes in the very last drop of fuel. Therefore it is always taking in the "unwanted material" if you call it that. Filters on the fuel system take care of these materials. so dont worry. let the low fuel warning light come on.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 13:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hi raj,

Two days for laminating floor board and a regular free service. Trying to re-sell the OEM part to you. The extended warranty still wrong.

I'm surprised you didn't complain to MSIL! I'm sorry but this is all extrmely sloppy in my book!
I also felt that these kinds of loose ends are bad for After Sales Service. But once the car is mine, these kinds of problems are least bothered. Anyway I have made them rectify all their loose ends. So feeling relaxed

ICE Updates

Initially I felt the front JBL speakers were not worth the buy.It never produced any sound that could be felt. I could hear only the sound coming from the rear JBL 947. This made the whole setup really disappointing and worthless.

Then came the difference in the form of an advice from a colleague who sat with me on the car.He said the front speakers can be made audible by adjusting the settings in the head unit. I had tried that previously but could not make any difference. After hearing what he said, I spent 1 hours with the headunit settings and finally found out how to adjust the speaker settings so that we can decide from which part of the car, the sound should come from. By changing the settings, I could feel the change in the directions from which the sound was coming.I coud thus make the front speakers as effective as the rear.

Now the sound from front and rear speakers are set in such a way that I get a 3D effect.Now the sound quality is so high that I wonder what additional difference can a Sub, Amp and better quality wires could make. I dont even feel the need for these as the sound quality is excellent. The bass and treble have been set properly now.

I sat in my friend's Swift which has got a Pioneer DVH6050(DVD player), JBL Amp, Kenwood speakers(400W on the rear and some other on the fron t doors) and kenwood Sub. I felt this setup lacked treble and clarity. It only had Bass from the Sub.My setup felt 10 times superior.The difference was made by nothing other than JBL Speakers

Summary: JBL Speakers rock and dont buy Sony Xplod, Kenwood or Pioneer speakers. Cannot compare it with Polk , Rainbow and other brands as I have not listened to them.

Buy JBL 947 for the Rear and that is the best you can buy. Even the JBL 562, which I thought was bad initially, is producing superb sound when tuned properly.

Last edited by raj84 : 13th December 2008 at 13:18.
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:20   #52
sps
BHPian

Happened to see this thread while searching for a lighting solution. Raj you have got a nice good looking beast. Also a nice detailed coverage of the events so far.
I love this vehicle. You have to take it for a long ride to know its performance. Drive safe mate and keep on updating your experience.
sps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:47   #53
BHPian

Default Update Time!! Upgrade Time as well!!

Hi Everyone,

Happy to be back after a long time with an update!!!..

The Beast is going pretty strong and has now covered 3600kms. I was getting used to the looks and feel of her, that I wanted something extra from her. Yes!!! It was time to upgrade her and make her feel more proud.

Alloys had been the top one in my wish list but I could not save that much money. Had saved 10000 Rupees and was willing to spend 5000Rs on an upgrade.

Alloys having been left out due to finance issues, the other items I was looking into was Philips Xtreme Power Headlights and Sun Film. So checked out the thread by TOR on his Swift DZire and the upgrades from MotorPlaza Trivandrum.

Llumar 50

Dialled Motorplaza and checked with them if they have Philips Xtreme Power. "No" was the answer. Asked them about Llumar sun films and they replied 2200Rs.

So on Saturday(21/2/09) at about 3PM I reached Motorplaza and asked them for the Llumar shade comparison chart. Shade 35R was the one that I wanted(from TOR's thread), but I thought it would be really dark inside as well as to check the OVRM. Hence selected 50R.

It took about 1 hours for them to finish the work. I could not verify whether it is indeed Llumar as the sheet did not have any Label or symbol. I paid 2000Rupees(including installation).

Headlights

Then I went straight to Car Palace Kesavadasapuram, and checked with them about Philips Xtreme. Unfortunately they too did not have it . I wonder why this bulb is still not available. As I was so desperate for a headlight upgrade(Poor visibility with OEM Halonix), I decided to take the Philips Diamond Vision which was available. I did not know much about this model, but I felt it would be atleast 10% better than the OEM. They said it cost 1450, but I brought it down to 1300. It can be had for 1000 Rs I guess.

It took them 5 minutes to change the headlight. I could not test the brightness as it was not dark. I went home and in the car parking shed, I switched on the light at night. The light was white-ish but I felt the beam width was less. It was not covering the sides so may need to switch on the fogs also. Could not get to test the lights in real driving scenario. Hope to do that tonight.

Will post pictures soon

Last edited by raj84 : 22nd February 2009 at 11:49.
Old 24th February 2009, 00:42   #54
BHPian

Tested the Philips Diamond Vision Headlights tonight. The light is extremely powerful and bright that the reflection of the Beast's headlight from a vehicle going ahead of me itself causes me discomfort. And now all vehicles coming with full beam respectfully dip their beam since they now understand the difficulty that they are causing to others by not dipping. I am now driving with Low Beam almost all the time except when the road ahead is free. To those drivers who dont lower the beam i just switch to full beam. Then they respond by lowering their beam.The light is very good for reading all the signposts and other boards on the road. But the blue light cannot reveal the surface of the road as the road is black in colour. The potholes are not clearly visible. However the light feels much better than the OEM Halonix.

Now I need to try the Philips Xtreme Power. I am not able to get one in Trivandrum unfortunately.
Old 24th February 2009, 01:08   #55
BHPian

raj good to read that she is doing good.
i believe you read the reviews in the lighting thread about philips xtreme power and osram night breaker. try either of them. i am using night breaker and m pretty satisfied with them. try contacting the distributors in your region.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 11:00   #56
BHPian

Thank you White_VDI,

Diamond Vision is not good compared to Xtreme Power. But in no shops I could find one. Now will try Osram Nightbreaker. HOw much did it cost you? And how good do you feel it is compared to the OEM Halonix. Are you now able to view the road clearly?
Old 27th February 2009, 00:24   #57
BHPian

raj i bought night breaker through Ebay UK. delhi is full of fakes. paid around 1100. pound was around 75 at that time.
illumination is much better than the stock lamps. a little whiter and brighter. dont now about xtreme power but will recommend them. feel better even with tint on the windshield also.

Last edited by white_vdi : 27th February 2009 at 00:26.
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 11:00   #58
BHPian

Yes, noticed that your White VDI in the Avatar picture has its light switched on . It does indeed look bright. I will check for Osram now
Old 7th April 2009, 11:12   #59
BHPian

Hi All,

Completed 5000Km in the Beast. So took it to Popular Maruti Service Station and got the car serviced. The engine oil was not changed as instructed by the service engineer. But after the service I did not feel the engine to be any smoother than what it had been earlier. Before giving it for service the engine was a little bit noisy. I thought it would be over with the service. But there is no change in the note of the engine after the service

Is this fine or should the engine become smoother after the 2nd service?

Off Road Beast

Last day when returning from Office at about 11:30PM, I had to take a deviation as the road was blocked due to some festival in a temple. I was not familiar with the new way and I took a wrong route which was a by-lane. I took that path as the police man who asked me to take a deviation told me to take the first left. This by-lane was the first left I saw, but it was wrong. I had two other vehicles who followed me on this lane. After going through a large slope , it cam e to a dead end. Struggled to take reverse and by the time I had taken reverse the other vehicles had left. I lost way again and this time I hit a rough patch which was not fit for vehicles. It was full of ups and downs and before entering it I was doubtful if it would hit the bottom of my Beast. I had no choice as there was no area for taking reverse. The sides of the road were marshy and did not have any idea about the depth of water. So went straight , and I was praying that my Beast should not get hurt by hitting the rocks on the side. Thankfully after traveling few distance through the narrow path, saw an Estilo and he had hit his Estilo's bottom on some rock.He somehow escaped. He helped me find the path to the main road and I followed him. Thankfully my Beast did not take any hit in the area where his Estilo took a hit

Today morning I checked and did not find any damage to my Beast. Only the tyres were a bit affected as the path was full of rocks.So it was my first Off-Road experience and the Beast took it all in its stride. The torque of the DDIS kept the Beast overcome all obstacles.Well done Beast

Now evaluating the idea of fitting the Angel eyes. Should I or Should I not is making me confused. Warranty and other issues are behind this confusion.If fitted , Bright Red Beast would become Bling Bling Beast

Last edited by raj84 : 7th April 2009 at 11:16.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:58   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins

Hi everyone,

Back after a long time. Beast has done 33000 Kms now. The car is still going great, except for the frequent rattles from anywhere and everywhere.

Angel Eyes?
Dropped the idea of Angel Eyes soon after getting married. Realized that any such expenses for personal satisfaction is possible only till marriage :-)

Alloy Wheels?
Still running great on Maruti Wheel caps, which in my opinion is the best looking wheel cap in any car available in India.

Michelin XM1 +
The wisest decision I had taken at the time of purchase of the Swift. Absolutely terrific value for money, giving maximum performance and comfort. The tyre still shows no signs of wear. Had visited Bangalore twice from Trivandrum using NH7. It gave terrific grip in corners even at speeds of 140kmph (beyond which I did not want to take it, for longevity of the engine).

ABS
I do not know whether it has ever worked. Never seen the ABS indicator flashing while driving. However, I have felt that the car is able to follow the steering inputs during sudden direction changes with brake pedal being pressed simultaneously. Donít know if it was due to the superior grip of the Michelin rubber. However never driven in a risky manner to have the need for ABS I guess.

Mileage

15-16Kmpl in city traffic and 17.5kmpl in highway use (with speeds in the range of 100-120kmph continuously for hours). All these with AC full time.

Service
The worst part of ownership of the Beast. Not due to Maruti but due to the greedy dealer operated service center (Popular Automobiles Trivandrum). I was charged 8714 Rupees for the first regular paid service at 25000Kms. I have read in Team BHP the ownership of Swift VDI and even DZire VDI. The maximum amount I saw quoted was 6K. But this was too much and too greedy.

I even showed them proof of bills in the range of 5-6K from Team-BHP site using my mobile phone. But the service technician in charge told me that in Popular the charges are like that only and that if I want I can negotiate with the manager. I refused it as I wanted to raise the issue with Maruti even if I am losing money for the sake of it.

They had replaced unnecessary parts and used unnecessary lubricants (not mentioned in service manual), which would be clear from the bill that I have attached.

And to make things worse, they did not even rectify the problems, which I had asked them to rectify, giving me strange excuses like "We tried to fix the bumper alignment but it is not getting fixed properly, and it happens with other Swifts as well". I had asked them to fix the headlight level, which seemed very low even in high beam. That also was not fixed and could not test it as I took delivery before it was night.

Raised a complaint with Maruti, but as usual the call came from Popular offering a free service for 1000Rs etc as a compensation. I refused to accept the apology and told them that I bought a Maruti just because of its lower maintenance cost. I told him that even Mercedes Benz wouldnít have charged me such a high amount and that what Popular did was daylight robbery.

This is the problem with these main dealers (Popular and Indus). So cant trust both once the free service period is over.

Help Needed
Now I am desperately in search of a reliable service center. I have a Maruti authorized service center very near to my home. But I am worried whether they will be able to handle cars with ABS, even though they donít have to look into it. My brakes are making screeching noise under moderate braking. So wonder if brake disk replacement or anything would need expertise on ABS as well. Can I go ahead with such service centers?

Summary
A highly reliable and efficient car. No issues or breakdowns till now (fingers crossed). But hugely let down by greedy dealers even though I still appreciate and respect the manufacturer. The Beast rolls on.

Pic1 - Trivandrum near some rubber estate
Pic2 - Service bill
Pic3 - Trichy near Srirangam temple
Attached Thumbnails
Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc01006.jpg  

Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-bill.jpg  

Bright Red Beast(Swift VDI ABS) - The Real Story Begins-dsc00711.jpg