Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th November 2008, 14:49   #1

Default My 2006 Civic problems

Hi,

I own a 1.8S MT, of July 2006 vintage. The car has now completed 29,000 km.

The Civic is fun to drive but I have been somewhat disappointed by the frequency of problems during the warranty period:
  • Right side engine mounting replaced (I understand this was a problem for several owners)
  • A/c not cooling - evaporator replaced
  • Gear shift would not move into 2nd or 3rd gear - service supervisor says the problem was due to a contaminant in the gear box, but dealer now says that "brake switch was replaced to rectify the problem"
  • CD player would not accept CD - repaired
  • Engine would not start - no battery or other electrical problem identified, and dealer took 5 days to fix it, claims that entire harness was checked and finally one fuse was replaced
  • After 10,000 km servicing and engine oil change, the nut at the bottom of the engine was not properly tightened so fell off after 300 kms on the highway resulting in some oil around engine bay
The most recent problem I have faced is as follows. The driver picked me up at Mumbai airport and reported that engine was not starting on its own so once he had to have the car pushed in order to start it in 2nd gear. For the next 10 km, the engine revs would sometimes pick up on their own (no input from driver) but with no increase in speek. As the car was struggling to climb even small inclines, I had the driver park the car. After tow to dealer, next day the supervisor reported that both starter and clutch plate have to be replaced. He also checked flywheel but said that this was ok. As starter was not in stock, it was about 8 days before the repair was performed. Dealer then reported a "kar-kar" noise and said that flywheel ring seat has developed play so that is also to be replaced. Total cost came to about Rs. 24,000/-.

Has any other Civic owner faced any issue with starter/clutch/flywheel. The supervisor at the dealer said that he has never seen all three fail at the same time but the official line from Honda is that first the clutch failed and then the other 2 parts were affected due to high temperature.

This is my sixth new car in the last 12 years between Mumbai and Singapore, and the only issue I have faced in 250,000 kms across them is A/C gas leakage from the original Esteem. The Civic is driver 90% by me (driver mostly drives my Swift ZXi) and I use handbrake etc. There was no jerking/shuddering with the Civic and everything seemed normal before the problem.

Honda also says that these are all wear and tear parts so even if warranty was in place Honda would not have been on the hook.

Rgds

Last edited by ajmat : 17th November 2008 at 18:05.
MumbaiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 16:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai boy sorry to hear about your car. It seems indeed unfortunate to have so many issues in a honda car.

When was the car mfg and when did you purchase it? Is it possible that you were sold a test car with a reset Odo?
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 17:17   #3
BHPian

Mumbaiboy, sorry to hear of repeat problems in Civic which is rather unfortunate. On the current problem, did you investigate how the problem started? Clutch failure tough premature at 29K kms, it is not very unusual in todays bad city traffic. But generally one should be able to sense the failure before it becomes very bad. So if you attend to it in time, then further problems could have been avoided. My question is, did the driver continue to run the vehicle with bad clutch for long in city while you were away? Also I am not a guru here, but doubt if a clutch problem can lead to starter failure.

Hope now the problems are cleared and you have a smooth ride ahead.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 21:24   #4
BHPian

HI
This is quite unfotunate to know so many problem in a car which world famous and problem free.
I think u must write your issues to honda and get your checked completely.
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 10:48   #5

The car was booked on the day of its launch in July 2006, and delivered at the end of that month. I will check the date of manufacture but I guess it is difficult to know if it was earlier used as a test-drive vehicle.

The sequence of events is that the car did not start at first attempt, as it usually does, when the driver started from home to pick me up from the airport. He had to turn it over 3-4 times. It then shut down while in motion on the Santa Cruz flyover on Western Express Highway. He was able to restart it by slotting into 2nd gear. Another shutdown took place as he turned right into the airport and the driver says that the engine RPM would then suddenly increase without any input while in motion. He kept the engine on idle while waiting 20 mts to pick me up. While driving home, I could see the RPM suddenly increase and the car had to be parked after about 10 kms. There were no visible symptoms prior to this and I drive the car 90% of the time.

I have had an exchange of emails with Honda and the dealer. They also cannot explain link between all 3 components failing at the same time. However, it is unlikely that they will provide any help and I am disappointed at the lack of reliability of the car as well as the contrast with the responsiveness of another Japanese firm. Sony replaced my son's PS3 out of warranty (for a blinking red light) and without demanding an invoice.

May just be bad luck but I am still following up with the dealer to get to the bottom of this.
Old 18th November 2008, 16:52   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mumbaiboy, Sorry to hear about your terrible ownership experience. Thats pretty unusual for a Honda, but lemons do come through (even from the best of 'em) and Honda better do everything it can to get the smile back on your face. Most Honda dealerships are scoundrels, I suggest you restrict your communication with the parent company only.

Do you have extended warranty on the car? If so, ALL of this work should have been covered under that warranty. First, because the standard warranty would have only just expired. Second, I understand wear & tear parts aren't covered. But when they fail prematurely, Honda better replace the faulty components for free. I can't imagine a reason any other than a manufacturing defect for an engine mount, evaporator, "brake switch" (what??), starter, clutch & flywheel to go bad in < 30K clicks.

Take it up strongly with Honda. If they choose to be oblivious to a defective product, and if you have the time & inclination, evaluate a legal resolution.

If you don't want to, I suggest you change your dealership or look up a competent independent garage who can get your Civic back to shape.

Quote:
the nut at the bottom of the engine was not properly tightened so fell off after 300 kms on the highway resulting in some oil around engine bay
Some oil? I'd be surprised if this didn't starve the engine of oil and caused permanent damange. What dealer is this? Let me guess, Ichibaan?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 16:25   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
It then shut down while in motion on the Santa Cruz flyover on Western Express Highway. He was able to restart it by slotting into 2nd gear. Another shutdown took place as he turned right into the airport and the driver says that the engine RPM would then suddenly increase without any input while in motion.
Somebody correct me if i am wrong, but isnt this equivalent to push-starting the car? AFAIK, modern cars should NEVER be started in this way, right?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 16:54   #8
BHPian

MumbaiBoy, Sorry for your troublesome Civic ownership experience.

Infact you are not the first person to have bad experience with Civic. My family relative is having 07 Civic. In the initial months he had powersteering issues, gearbox issues and a/c cooling issues. In feb 08, his suspension failed. He almost lost trust on the reliability of Civic. Now a days he uses it only for City drives.

You could probably get your vehicle checked with some other Honda dealer or some good independent workshops within Mumbai itself.

Keep us posted with the issue resolutions.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 18:54   #9
BHPian

The bottom nut falling is really scary one what happened with my civic is while changing oil {at my tried tested relaible petrol pump) the filter unscrewed came out with the nut that goes into the engine sump ( bottom )!!!!
Had to go to a turner using his jaw spanner(jaw PAANA) got the nut unscrewed so as no damage is acceptable to either of it s threads the big thread that goes into the engine sump and small thread into the filter both side threads !!! THe turner said this is a common problem with indica and tata s provide a special spanner to reomve the delicate nut from the filter !!! This all with my 12k driven A/T civic !! lets see what else has to be faced otherwise the car is one of the best automatic s to drive tackle traffic and park !!! Low seating difficult ingress egress and bad over broken tarmac s is the worst part about it !!!
Regards
SaaJAn

Last edited by m-hawk : 19th November 2008 at 18:57.
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 20:25   #10

I think Ichibaan in Mumbai has closed down, so there are not too many options for repair in South Mumbai. Anyhow, one does not expect too much from the dealer community.

Honda, rightly or wrongly, is perceived to maintain a higher standard of conduct. Unfortunately, their stand so far has been that "we have rectified whatever happened during the warranty" and the Honda CRM team in Delhi do not wish to talk about whether so many problems should take place in the first place. There are some discussions going on and I may escalate the matter if no resolution is found. If somebody has Honda Japan email contacts that would be highly appreciated.
Old 19th November 2008, 23:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumbaiBoy View Post
Honda, rightly or wrongly, is perceived to maintain a higher standard of conduct
We have multiple cases on t-bhp which conveys that this perception is not reality. I can still understand poor response from dealers, exploiting monopoly/near monopoly etc. But the sad part is that even escalating the issue to Honda also yields no results.
Path_Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 21:23   #12
BHPian

The attitude of Honda India sucks! Just look at the recent Civic Hybrid debacle. Hondas management seems to have taken it upon themselves to be anti-customer. Problem is, this has watered down to their dealers as well (unsurprisingly). Honda has lost MORE than just a handful of customers due to this attitude alone. Much to Toyotas pleasure; the Japanese giant is definitely more customer-centric than Honda. Toyota owners are a far more satisfied lot too, for the way that they are taken care of by their dealers & the parent co.

Good luck Mumbaiboy. Let us know if we can help at any stage.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote