Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th December 2014, 12:30   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

My Elantra CRDi had the same engine i believe. The manual stated 5.9L and i used to pour in 6L.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 17:06   #392
BHPian

Folks,

Didn't know there were so many Tucson lovers here!

I'd be grateful if one of you could point me to a good garage which can provide services for my Tucson.

For some kind of work Hyundai Service is too expensive.

Thanks for your help!
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2014, 10:52   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hi Anand,
How much engine oil does your mech pour in?
I've been reading 4 liters online, but my mechanic mentioned that he "recalls" 5 liter.
Also, if you could tell me if you've noticed lesser clatter, or variations, with different grades of oil?
5.9L as per manual, they pour in 6L I think.
Yes, I tried a few (Mobil Delvac 1 - fully synthetic, Mobil Delvac - mineral, Shell mineral, etc). I find the default Indian Oil Servo the best, so I am back to it. Delvac 1 (fully synthetic) is very thin, I didn't think it was safe for a high mileage engine like mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
My Elantra CRDi had the same engine i believe. The manual stated 5.9L and i used to pour in 6L.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_S View Post
Folks,

Didn't know there were so many Tucson lovers here!

I'd be grateful if one of you could point me to a good garage which can provide services for my Tucson.

For some kind of work Hyundai Service is too expensive.

Thanks for your help!
Try Bay6, it's run by fellow Tucson owners in Bangalore.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2014, 21:04   #394
BHPian

Thanks Anand. It close to my house :-)
rakesh_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:11   #395
Senior - BHPian

Default Rear wheel bearings replaced

Off late, I could hear some sound from the rear of the car. Sometime metallic, sometime wind noise like! Took it to service center. After a quick short test drive, they said this can be the wheel bearings or the rear 4WD differential. Left the car for a detailed diagnostics. The family doctor called up the next day and said let's first replace the wheel bearings, if sound does not go away then let's look at the differential. I said OK. He called up next day and told me that wheel bearings were replaced and that fixed it! Collected the car and will drive it daily this week to check if there is anything else required.

Some interesting points (at least for me):
- Hyundai logistics continues to be impressive. Rear wheel bearings were in stock in Pune - for a 10 year old SUV that hardly sold in numbers and which was discontinued in India 6 years ago!
- Wheel bearings are available separately as child part, but they are inside the wheel hub that also contains the ABS sensor, etc. In my case, they opened it and replaced only the bearings. They got the press fitting done from another workshop. My doctor showed me the equivalent part for the i20, it's one single unit - wheel hub that contains the bearings, ABS sensor, etc and most service centers just replace the entire hub.
- Total cost: ~Rs.13000 (~Rs. 4000 out of this is the press fitting charges), will upload the bill soon.
- Doctor was happy that it did not come to the rear diff. It's a sealed unit and no child parts available and the price is ~Rs. 1 lakh!

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 09:30   #396
BHPian

One of my dad's friend is planning to sell his 2005 Tucson 4x4. The car is well maintained and has done 1,30,000 kms. My dad is interested in buying it. I drove it yesterday and it drives well. I just felt that the clutch was a bit heavy. Both the interiors and exteriors of the car are in perfect condition. All 5 tires are new and the timing belt was changed recently. We would be using Tucson mostly for Highway use.

All the servicing and maintenance was done at Hyundai Service Center.

Any advice on what to look out for would be appreciated.

I stay in Pune and the vehicle is in Pune too.
Ketan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 13:24   #397
Senior - BHPian

Ketan, if the car is in Pune, we can check it. In fact, you can get it checked though the service center specifically the service history any major work done in the past and anything major that can come up. I will PM you the contact details.
Old 25th February 2015, 14:48   #398
BHPian

Thank you, Anand. As suggested, I will check the service history.
Ketan T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 18:57   #399
Senior - BHPian

The rear wheel bearings:
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-20150307_175641.jpg

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-20150307_175825.jpg

Weight: ~1.5kg (~750gm each)
Old 8th March 2015, 19:03   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The rear wheel bearings:

Weight: ~1.5kg (~750gm each)
These are 4k each? Mine are up for replacement soon, as well, though it's the front one.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2015, 14:47   #401
BHPian

I am leaning towards the Tucson and was wondering if any one of you have faced any problems with availability of spares. Since it was discontinued in 2007 the best I can get will be a 8-9 year old vehicle. I'm still looking for a used Tucson and was wondering if anyone can point me towards a good one. My photography demands a little bit of off-roading and was wondering how capable the Tucson is with that. Of course not as good as a proper off roaders but still is it good enough?

I have not zeroed in on any particular vehicle yet and any suggestions are more than welcome, I just want a vehicle which can do a little bit of off roading (not purposeful) has good space inside for family travel and a good air conditioning system since I live in a city where we dont have any other seasons except SUMMER :P

Last edited by sreejinair : 27th October 2015 at 14:48. Reason: spell
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 13:56   #402
Senior - BHPian

Spares are generally available, some are in stock, some need to be ordered. As the model is old and discontinued, the price and wait time for spares may go up.

Unless you specifically love the Tucson, I would say look at other more prevalent ones like Scorpio/Safari.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 19:19   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Spares are generally available, some are in stock, some need to be ordered. As the model is old and discontinued, the price and wait time for spares may go up.

Unless you specifically love the Tucson, I would say look at other more prevalent ones like Scorpio/Safari.
I'm guessing the Tucson will be much stable on highways since monocoque, less body roll and its AWD. Difficult to get a Scorpio 4X4 in used market and even if its there the price will be high. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 6th November 2015, 00:17   #404
Senior - BHPian

Tucson is extremely stable on the highway, yes. And fairly direct steering, no play and well weighed even at high speeds. That's one of the reasons I love the Tuc. BTW, Tuc's AWD works only upto 40kmph.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 01:12   #405
BHPian

By the by these are the options I have -

2007 Scorpio 4X4

2007 Safari 4X4

2007 Tucson AWD

2007 CR-V AWD

2007 Grand Vitara AWD

If you had these options right now what will you pick and why?

Last edited by sreejinair : 6th November 2015 at 01:12. Reason: change