Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2015, 14:05   #406
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,354
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

I would pick the Tucson because I have already picked the Tucson :-)
But on a serious note, it will be sensible to go for the Scorpio. It's made in India, and more reliable than the other "made in India" vehicle in your list - the Safari. Parts availability and prices will be better than the Tucson.

If you are OK with a CBU then I would say pick the one that you like. Of all the CBUs you have listed, Tucson is the only turbo diesel, CR-V and Grand Vitara are petrols, that too naturally aspired (no turbo). No turbo means less complications, less maintenance.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 14:16   #407
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I would pick the Tucson because I have already picked the Tucson :-)
But on a serious note, it will be sensible to go for the Scorpio. It's made in India, and more reliable than the other "made in India" vehicle in your list - the Safari. Parts availability and prices will be better than the Tucson.

If you are OK with a CBU then I would say pick the one that you like. Of all the CBUs you have listed, Tucson is the only turbo diesel, CR-V and Grand Vitara are petrols, that too naturally aspired (no turbo). No turbo means less complications, less maintenance.
Yup those are the two options I've boiled down to, tucson and scorpio. Both diesel but for some reason leaning towards the tucson probably because I like its looks and less body roll. You are right on the parts and availability though. Grrrrrrrrrr its confusing
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 14:22   #408
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,904
Thanked: 2,926 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Can you guys describe the behavior of your car when braking on heavily potholed, holes about 8-9" in depth, at moderate speeds, something like 30-40 kmph?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2015, 14:45   #409
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can you guys describe the behavior of your car when braking on heavily potholed, holes about 8-9" in depth, at moderate speeds, something like 30-40 kmph?
I dont own it yet, but I'm guessing softer suspension leading to less jumping inside the vehicle
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 13:10   #410
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,354
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can you guys describe the behavior of your car when braking on heavily potholed, holes about 8-9" in depth, at moderate speeds, something like 30-40 kmph?
I generally slow down before I hit the potholes, avoiding pressing the brakes while actually going over the potholes, but what exactly are you looking for? Steering vibrations? Or ride quality? From my 7 years of driving the Tuc, i can say that the steering is pretty direct and does not shield or mask the road irregularities much, it passes those on to your hands. And mine is now 10 and half years old, done 1,44,000 km so the suspension isn't as it was when it drove out of the factory way back in 2005. The ride quality is slightly on stiffer side in general (I have only changed the dampers IIRC, and still running the original insulators and sub-frame bushes which - if changed - may bring in some softness, but I can say for sure only when I actually change those, which does not seem necessary in immediate future).
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 13:47   #411
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,904
Thanked: 2,926 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Ok.
What happened with me was I went through some potholes at that speed. The ABS started to kick in, and the car sort of moved faster than was warranted. There was a bit of panic, because although I am used to the ABS, the sudden surge was unnerving. Or could it be that I just lowered the pressure on the pedal owing to the jostling?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 15:11   #412
Senior - BHPian
 
Deeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delhi/Noida
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

If you were at low rpms during the braking and kept your foot off the clutch, the anti-stall might have kicked in to maintain above idle engine speeds.

Last edited by Deeps : 17th November 2015 at 15:11. Reason: typo
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2015, 15:30   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,354
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ok.
What happened with me was I went through some potholes at that speed. The ABS started to kick in, and the car sort of moved faster than was warranted. There was a bit of panic, because although I am used to the ABS, the sudden surge was unnerving. Or could it be that I just lowered the pressure on the pedal owing to the jostling?
Yes, Tucson's ABS system causes a shudder (no pun intended) Comparatively, the ABS in my Skoda is far more composed, the pulses are much finer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
If you were at low rpms during the braking and kept your foot off the clutch, the anti-stall might have kicked in to maintain above idle engine speeds.
Quite possible, though I don't recollecting experiencing it, may be because in such cases, i would normally downshift into 2nd and Tuc's anti-stall is beautifully calibrated - in 2nd, it coasts at strict 15kmph without any accelerator input. You can slip into 2nd and sit in Padmasan and cruise at slow and steady 15kmph..It's my favorite method of meditation every monsoon :-)

Of course, if it's a case of emergency braking with an intention of coming to a complete halt, I would downshift to 2nd and keep the clutch pressed as well (now-a-days, keep my button-clutch pressed with my left thumb with left-foot relaxing on the dead pedal )
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 13:35   #414
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Can anyone tell me if the exhaust pipe is a bit lower than the differential on the Tucson? Like when I lay down to see the clearance the lowest body part I see is the Exhaust pipe just a bit below the differential.

Also can anyone please recommend a good shop where I can get some Tucson stuff, like suspensions, lower arms, clutch assembly & inside door handles. I'll prefer getting it from Bombay or Pune since thats near to me, but if it has to be Delhi then I can get it from there too.
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:52   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,354
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

I will take a closer look underneath my Tucson, may be post a picture.

Regarding sourcing parts from third party, I don't know, I have been only dealing with Kothari Hyundai for anything and everything. members K a s h and Digital Vampire may know as both of them own a Tucson have started their own workshop in Bangalore. Also, kamal.sn owns one and has sourced a radiator recently from an independent shop.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 14:34   #416
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 473
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Tuc's anti-stall is beautifully calibrated - in 2nd, it coasts at strict 15kmph without any accelerator input. You can slip into 2nd and sit in Padmasan and cruise at slow and steady 15kmph..It's my favorite method of meditation every monsoon :-)
Sounds awesome - new one for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Of course, if it's a case of emergency braking with an intention of coming to a complete halt, I would downshift to 2nd and keep the clutch pressed as well
Can you please tell me why you keep the clutch pressed? Even in the Bosch ABS videos on Youtube, the driver floors the clutch pedal even as he brakes. I don't do this and don't understand the rationale. Thanks.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016, 01:02   #417
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Can anyone tell me if the bush between the propeller shaft and differential can be bought separately or may be repaired, per Hyundai one has to buy the shaft since its part of it. Pictures attached
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-screenshot_20151231181535.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-screenshot_20151231181613.jpg  

sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 19:27   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,354
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

On the way back from Ratnagiri, on the Satara Pune section which is in shambles, suddenly the airbag light came up (I think it happened when I went over one of the many potholes). Thinking some fuse/connector must have loosened upon impact, drove to Pune without thinking much about it and handed over to my family doctor. He checked everything and called me saying the clock spring seems to have gone and has to be replaced. Luckily they had one in the stock (import date 07-2006)! Price: Rs. 5738!!

Here is how it looks:
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-img_20160325_185046650.jpg

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-img_20160325_185114259.jpg

I asked him if it could be repaired, but as with most parts, he said that's not advisable and why take risk with something related to airbags. I googled to see what this part is all about and found an excellent video:




Why does such a simple part cost so much? Huge margins on this one for sure.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 21:24   #419
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Utopia!
Posts: 580
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

It's not a very simple part Anand. It has to maintain 100% reliable electrical connectivity even when the steering is rotating. Good that you changed it than attempting to repair it. The part rarely goes bad though - but during any steering retrofits, if the technician is not careful, it can snap quite quickly.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 19:18   #420
BHPian
 
blackbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 266
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
It's not a very simple part Anand. It has to maintain 100% reliable electrical connectivity even when the steering is rotating. Good that you changed it than attempting to repair it. The part rarely goes bad though - but during any steering retrofits, if the technician is not careful, it can snap quite quickly.
Anoop, Could this be the reason for the air bag warning on my tuc ?
blackbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW 640d: Severe engine failure in only 4,000 kms! EDIT: Replaced with 2015 640d GTO Technical Stuff 72 19th August 2015 16:44
Jarring noise front brand new left front speaker skrules In-Car Entertainment 13 26th December 2011 10:53
My Hyundai Getz Crdi - Dark Grey Metallic. Update: 50,000 kms done ShyamSCrdi Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 190 6th March 2011 22:28
Torsion beam rear suspension - lateral location of the wheel/axle. How its done? Sankar Technical Stuff 3 14th January 2011 21:04


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks