Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th February 2011, 19:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Engine Oil Leakage - Solved

OK, here is the update:
The hoses replaced and since then the car has run more than 2000 KM. The engine oil leakage is solved.

Here is the reference to the post that has the picture of the hoses while it was leaking:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2133518

BTW, radiator damage was detected during all this debugging and radiator was replaced (around Rs. 14,000). Here are the pictures of the radiator damage and the oil leakage around the radiator hose:
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-tuc_radiator_1.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-tuc_radiator_2.jpg  

Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced-tuc_radiator_3.jpg  

anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 21:59   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

Good to know your Tuc's "Oil Leakage" is contained... But did the radiator get damaged in hands of the "expert" people handling vehicles in service centers or was it damaged due to some other issue. Tucson's radiator is well protected from stone damage and such...

Over the past few months, I've seen ever reducing number of knowledgeable people in the two service Hyundai centres (Bangalore) that I frequent and hence the above doubt.

Most of the new "experts" are quite unaware of the intricacies of the sunset models like Tucson & Elantra and that shows clearly in the work. Even though I knew where the MAF sensor was, Once I asked one senior-technician to confirm it for me. No prizes for guessing his answer "CRDI vehicles does not have MAF sensor saar!!!"... Priceless ...Then onwards I started studying Tucson Workshop Manual on my own to be on the safe side for any future repairs...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 25th February 2011 at 22:01.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 22:22   #108
BHPian

Default Re: Bought A Used Hyundai Tucson - The Journey Begins-"A suspected turbo oil seal pro

Hey,

the entire post is not having the Car pictures.

can you post some pictures
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 15:10   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
Good to know your Tuc's "Oil Leakage" is contained... But did the radiator get damaged in hands of the "expert" people handling vehicles in service centers or was it damaged due to some other issue. Tucson's radiator is well protected from stone damage and such...

Over the past few months, I've seen ever reducing number of knowledgeable people in the two service Hyundai centres (Bangalore) that I frequent and hence the above doubt.

Most of the new "experts" are quite unaware of the intricacies of the sunset models like Tucson & Elantra and that shows clearly in the work. Even though I knew where the MAF sensor was, Once I asked one senior-technician to confirm it for me. No prizes for guessing his answer "CRDI vehicles does not have MAF sensor saar!!!"... Priceless ...Then onwards I started studying Tucson Workshop Manual on my own to be on the safe side for any future repairs...
Off topic, but my service advisor at Concorde said that the car was running without proper tuning of the fuel pump so there was no noise. After the replacement of the pump head they tuned the pump so it started giving noise.

But to their credit, they picked up the vehicle from my home and fixed everything later.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 15:37   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

Well, yes, the Tucson radiator is well protected. But the service adviser I always go to is an honest guy so I feel like trusting him (If you remember the airbags wiring issue I mentioned some posts ago - they really put in a lot of effort to get that resolved - they could have charged me for an air-bag sensor claiming it was faulty and it would have been a real ordeal to get them to prove that but they did not do anything like that).

Also, mine is a used one and there was an accident involving front bumper years ago (had found that out when I checked all the service and repair records before buying) and the service adviser said most probably, the radiator must have sustained small damage at that time that got worse over the years...also the way it was detected is - I started observing white powder on alternator, fan, etc which they diagnosed as coolant residue! The engine temperature never moved beyond the standard point and the coolant level also never dropped, so this was a very slowly developing leak, I guess.

But it's great that you have and refer to the Tucson workshop manual. That's the best thing to do - both to avoid un-necessary work/replacements and keep a tab on what happens at the service center.

BTW, Odo is reading 92000KM.

Cheers!
Old 26th February 2011, 16:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
there was an accident involving front bumper years ago (had found that out when I checked all the service and repair records before buying)
Well...that explains how the radiator started to pack up.

Quote:
BTW, Odo is reading 92000KM.
Cheers!!! Another 12,000 kms and you'd surpass me!
Since I use my other cars often for my daily runabouts, my froggie is running a lot less these days (less than 200 km monthly), but some decent highway miles are being planned to keep the tuc happy.

Just remembered that it has been almost 32K kms since I replaced the clutch last and the current clutch has been holding up good so far with no significant sign of wear. If prior clutch replacements are anything to go by, I'm tending to think that Hyundai has done some fixes to the clutch design else it would have started to harden by now...
Old 26th February 2011, 19:45   #112
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Tucson - 138,000 kms done and front left axle replaced

I am going to take the delivery of the car tomorrow.

Carnation will only provide a sale letter and a photocopy of the RC ( and other docs like insurance etc.) to me and then submit the original RC to the RTO for transfer and within 14 days which is also the validity of the sale letter, i will be given the new RC.

Is this practice legal ? Is it ok to take the delivery of the car with only the above documents ?

Also i will be making all the payments to Carnation and not the original buyer as Carnation has purchased the car from the original buyer. I understand that this is normal and this is how used car dealers operate.

Pls. advise.

Mods - i have also posted the above question in 'How to buy a *USED* Car in India' thread. If duplicate posts are not allowed, then pls. delete the earlier post.

Also where can i find the VIN number plate on the Tucson ? Is it inside the engine compartment ?

Last edited by kamal.sn : 26th February 2011 at 19:52.
kamal.sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2011, 23:12   #113
Senior - BHPian

@speedy racer,
Sure, I will wash the Tuc and take some pics. Thanks.

@kamal,
do you mean carnation is the current owner on the RC and you will be third?
I need to confirm about the VIN. Will look in the morning.

Anoop,
Thanks.
This is a good engine only let down by the transmission. Good to know your new clutch is holding on...hope they have done something. Only if they could fix the low RPM clutch rattle. It sometimes gets on my nerves...

Looking forward to your long trip report...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 26th February 2011 at 23:30.
Old 26th February 2011, 23:19   #114
BHPian

Quote:
@speedy racer,
Sure, I will wash the Tuc and take some pics. Thanks.

@kamal,
do you mean carnation is the current owner on the RC and you will be third?
Carnation has purchased the car from the 1st owner and they would be selling the car to me. I will be the second owner.

Anand, can you also help me on the VIN plate location.

The carnation folks are also not able to find the housing in the market and also from Hyundai dealers for the headlight adjuster switch which is broken in the Tuc.

I am attaching a sample picture which is for the LWD version.

Will you be able to help me on this ?
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2011, 23:46   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamal.sn View Post
Can you also help me on the VIN plate location.
IIRC, the VIN plate is on the carpeted floor just under the the drivers seat covered by a long plastic cover. Or was it passenger seat?

Quote:
Looking forward to your long trip report...
Hmm...too lazy to pen down an ownership experience which has uneventful (read it as very good) so far!!!

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 26th February 2011 at 23:50.
Old 28th February 2011, 20:42   #116
BHPian

Took delivery of the Tucson yesterday. The buying experience from Carnation was not very pleasant. Will start an ownership thread soon and will also detail the buying experience.

Didnt get any time to drive the car around except the drive back home from Carnation, Gurgaon.

The clutch seems to be hard but i am not sure if it is normal as i have only driven petrol hatchbacks till now and the clutch in these cars are softer to operate. The last clutch replacement was at 23000 Kms in the Tucson, maybe it is time to get the same replaced.

Could someone guide me to the best Hyundai service center for Tucson in NCR as i have literally no experience with these folks.

Thanks everyone for all the support and advise. Many thanks to Anandpadhye and Digital Vampire.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hi @kamal,

Welcome to the Tucson club ...officially :-)

For VIN, did you find it on the driver side floor? I will check mine - sorry for the delay.

For the headlight level adjuster - how the hell was this broken in the first place? Did they give you any logical reason? If you do not find it, you may just forget about it - it really does not help much (just check if the settings OK for you and then leave it...).

My Tuc is due for service. When I get it done next week, I will get "confirmed" prices for all the parts you have mentioned. It's difficult to do that on the phone - the service advisor always has a busy day talking to customers face to face, taking calls on cell, checking inventory and some cranky customers always shouting about some watermarks left after washing (I think people in India like to get their cars washed more than actually driving them), etc.

It's much better to visit and get all the info.

If you need anything in a hurry, just drop me a PM and I will visit the service center and get precise info. Because of me, this guy is now famous at the service center as "Family Doctor of Anand and his Tucson".

Last edited by anandpadhye : 1st March 2011 at 10:04.
Old 1st March 2011, 16:56   #118
BHPian

Hey Anand,

It would be great if you could ask your "Family Doctor" about the availability and pricing of the following?
  • Dash Board Centre Console - The gunmetal finished plastic frame which holds Hazard switch, fog light switch...I need a new one reserved so that I can mod my old one (or new one) to hold a 7" capacitive screen for my carputer.
  • Replacement for centre console dummy switch - As you would already know, the switch position underneath the hazard switch is a dummy. It would be nice to have a real switch there to switch some ancillaries. In US models, this switch is populated (IIRC, for heated seats).
  • Replacement switches for dummy positions in the 4WD/TCS Select Console - There are a few dummy positions there as well. I'm a sucker for OEM looks and hence looking for original switches only.
  • Rear LHS wheel Arch Apron - The black rubber/plastic covering which forms the inner wheel arch (right above the tyre - Mine got broken after some stone damage.
  • Genuine Hyundai Keyless Entry System: Genuine Hyundai Keyless entry system (not Autocop/Minda which are co-branded as Hyundai) which can connect (true plug n play) to Tucson's ETAC module. I hate after market Keyless Entry Systems since it almost always involves cutting or stripping OEM wiring which I cannot tolerate.
  • Suspension Bush Kit - Full set (front and rear)

Please note that none of the above are urgent requirements, so kindly take it up if and only if your "doctor" is a bit free.

TIA
Old 16th March 2011, 10:51   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anoop,

I am yet to visit the service center, but I have taken a copy of your post so will surely check when I am there...may be next week.

BTW, some days ago, low fuel warning light came on (after around 660km since previous fill which was a tank full - to the brim of the inlet) and I still had to drive on for another 30 or 40 KMs (in the city) before I could get the time to refill...67 liters went in this time (again tank full - to the brim of the inlet). The petrol pump guys were (as always) impressed with the tank capacity and I was happy at the thought that the Tuc can easily do 700KMs without a refill...

So just wondering if you or anyone has done more than 700KM on one tank and what's max amount of diesel you have ever filled in at once. Just curious...

BTW, as I have mentioned before in many posts - Tucson takes around 15 liters of diesel after auto-cut off (again tank full - to the brim of the inlet). I have been asking around but no body has told me a convincing reason!

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 16th March 2011 at 10:52.
Old 16th March 2011, 16:24   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So just wondering if you or anyone has done more than 700KM on one tank and what's max amount of diesel you have ever filled in at once. Just curious...

BTW, as I have mentioned before in many posts - Tucson takes around 15 liters of diesel after auto-cut off (again tank full - to the brim of the inlet). I have been asking around but no body has told me a convincing reason
IIRC the tank capacity is 80lts. We ended up filling about ~75lts once when I went for Desert Storm recce - but that was a long time back.

15lts after auto cut off!! Seems some thing is amiss.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote