Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th February 2009, 15:55   #46
BHPian

Hi CAD,

Did you try to change the brake pad to a better quality one other than the stock pads. There might be a better bite if the brake pads are changed.

Also when I booked my vista, I got a confirmation from the sales manager that any upsize in the car will void my car's warranty. Hence I am not planning to upgrade the tyres.

I did not like the goodyear tyres and probably will move to Michelin XM1 as they offer better grip than the stock tyres.

About the speaker:- are we allowed to change the speakers as again that might void your car warranty. I am saying this as I was thinking of upgrading from the clarion player that is included in the Aura to the Blaupkunt version that is included in the anniversary edition. But even here I was told that warranty would be void.

Please confirm this and let me know, as I have taken extended warranty and would not like to loose the additional money paid for warranty.

Regards,
Kailash
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 00:40   #47
BHPian

Thanks for the review. It will help me in decision making.
travelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 18:26   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Did you try to change the brake pad to a better quality one other than the stock pads. There might be a better bite if the brake pads are changed.
how much do they cost? and would it affect the warranty?
Quote:
...any upsize in the car will void my car's warranty. Hence I am not planning to upgrade the tyres.
a +1 upsize would void the warranty, but to the best of my knowledge, going for a fatter 14" tyre wouldn't...am myself thinking of going for a 185/60/R14 tyre in place of the stock 175/65/R14. this should not void the warranty.

i have a basic question here: would any 14" Alloy wheel accommodate both 175 and 185 tyres or do I require different alloys for them? I was thinking of going for Alloys first (for the 175 tyres) and then upgrade to 185 later. can i use the same alloys in this case?

Quote:
About the speaker:- are we allowed to change the speakers as again that might void your car warranty. I am saying this as I was thinking of upgrading from the clarion player that is included in the Aura to the Blaupkunt version that is included in the anniversary edition. But even here I was told that warranty would be void.

Please confirm this and let me know, as I have taken extended warranty and would not like to loose the additional money paid for warranty.
as far as i know, as long as the cables are not cut, warranty is not void. i simply added an amp and 2 more speakers in the rear for the extra thump. this wont void the warranty. never thought about replacing the HU coz i am ok with it.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 1st March 2009 at 18:34.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 21:33   #49
BHPian

i have upgraded to 195/60/14 bf goodrich g sport tyres no problems
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:50   #50

Default Factors to choose Vista over Swift

Well after digesting all the information that has been shared till now in this thread and other threads (on mileage, Initial ownership) I have a better idea of Vista.

Currently I am going to book a car in a week from now. I have an Indica LSI (2005 make) and am trying to get a deal for exchanging it for a new one but having tough time to find buyers

That apart, following are the factors that are the differentiating ones between Vista and Swift:
I have gone through my own fair share of research on both these cars and this list below involves both the car
Owners: (3 each in Chennai)
Technicians: (in Salem & Chennai in TN) (one in maruti is my college mate, one in tata is my relative)
Passengers: Who are the general passengers of the above cars
Test drives done by me on cars that have crossed 10K
1. Mileage --> Swift on an average gives 2Kms higher than Vista
2. Cost --> Vista Cheaper that Swift by Rs.70K, based on ON Road cost in Chennai (including seat covers, stereo, keyless entry | excl. only sun film)
This is based on the best rate I could get from both the dealers
3. Performance --> Noticeable difference in Turbo kick off at stated RPMs (1750 vs 2000) and more linear in Vista
4. Suspension --> Vista slightly better than Swift (Let me try to get the technical details from the technicians)
5. Passenger Comfort --> Vista is better than Swift, (esp. for rear passengers)
6. Resale Value --> At present obvious winner is Swift
7. Braking --> Not sure on this but Vista probably better..
7. Other aspects -->
a. Engine noise is less heard inside Swift on a general term
b. After 10K, engine noise becomes more pronounced in Vista (dunno why, 2 cars have this issue apart from the one I test drove)

In conclusion, if you drive your car on an average of 10K/yr and if you are not going to sell your car for a considerable period of time and if you can bear the noise if the engine inside the cabin and if you want to spend 70K
less initially, then go for Vista.

There may be other reasons to choose between them, but typically we end up on deciding on these factors rt?

Please pour in your comments on the above mentioned factors.
I am purposefully limiting this comparison to Vista and Swift because I havent researched on the other ones and would preferably not want someone to bring another dimension to this at this point. Lets get the differences between these two ironed out first!!!

Regards,
aavi
aavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 16:13   #51
BANNED

CAD, well its little too early for your long term ownership, but you being first to note down your vista on this forum, would like to hear about vista after 15-20K's, how does it perform, else your review has been splendid till now which i suppose have helped lots others buying one. For tyres its better to get it confirmed through your dealer and then change it.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2009, 14:56   #52
Senior - BHPian

Default vista vs swift

My comments on Bold but i have to type more than 20 charachters to get this posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aavi View Post
Well after digesting all the information that has been shared till now in this thread and other threads (on mileage, Initial ownership) I have a better idea of Vista.

Currently I am going to book a car in a week from now. I have an Indica LSI (2005 make) and am trying to get a deal for exchanging it for a new one but having tough time to find buyers

That apart, following are the factors that are the differentiating ones between Vista and Swift:
I have gone through my own fair share of research on both these cars and this list below involves both the car
Owners: (3 each in Chennai)
Technicians: (in Salem & Chennai in TN) (one in maruti is my college mate, one in tata is my relative)
Passengers: Who are the general passengers of the above cars
Test drives done by me on cars that have crossed 10K
1. Mileage --> Swift on an average gives 2Kms higher than Vista
2. Cost --> Vista Cheaper that Swift by Rs.70K, based on ON Road cost in Chennai (including seat covers, stereo, keyless entry | excl. only sun film)
This is based on the best rate I could get from both the dealers.
Which versions did you compare
3. Performance --> Noticeable difference in Turbo kick off at stated RPMs (1750 vs 2000) and more linear in Vista.
You mean swift has a wider turbo lag zone
4. Suspension --> Vista slightly better than Swift (Let me try to get the technical details from the technicians)
5. Passenger Comfort --> Vista is better than Swift, (esp. for rear passengers)
6. Resale Value --> At present obvious winner is Swift
If initial cost of swift is more resale value would be more too. unless the % of fall in price can be compared, this could not be factored in.
7. Braking --> Not sure on this but Vista probably better..
Not so. as can be found on this thread. CAD can back me on this.
7. Other aspects -->
a. Engine noise is less heard inside Swift on a general term
b. After 10K, engine noise becomes more pronounced in Vista (dunno why, 2 cars have this issue apart from the one I test drove)

In conclusion, if you drive your car on an average of 10K/yr and if you are not going to sell your car for a considerable period of time and if you can bear the noise if the engine inside the cabin and if you want to spend 70K
less initially, then go for Vista.

There may be other reasons to choose between them, but typically we end up on deciding on these factors rt?
what about the fun to drive factor? Here on TBHP this rules.
Please pour in your comments on the above mentioned factors.
I am purposefully limiting this comparison to Vista and Swift because I havent researched on the other ones and would preferably not want someone to bring another dimension to this at this point. Lets get the differences between these two ironed out first!!!

Regards,
aavi
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 12:32   #53

Default Re: Indica Vs Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
My comments on Bold but i have to type more than 20 charachters to get this posted.
Which versions did you compare
- Swift VDi and Quadrajet Aura. Price is the best possible at this point.
You mean swift has a wider turbo lag zone
- No. Turbo kicks in earlier and the boost is more linear in Vista.
If initial cost of swift is more resale value would be more too. unless the % of fall in price can be compared, this could not be factored in.
- Yeah u are right. Let me try and get this from someone.
Not so. as can be found on this thread. CAD can back me on this.
- This was arrived based on braking in highway driving at 110KPH. Drivers felt Vista was better.
what about the fun to drive factor? Here on TBHP this rules.
- . I am sure CAD is finding it fun to drive his Quadrajet!!

I also got to know one more piece if info.
Currently there is shortage of spare parts for Vista and it takes 3-4 days to replace parts. Info provided by Chennai Manipal.
aavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 16:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
how much do they cost? and would it affect the warranty?
a +1 upsize would void the warranty, but to the best of my knowledge, going for a fatter 14" tyre wouldn't...am myself thinking of going for a 185/60/R14 tyre in place of the stock 175/65/R14. this should not void the warranty.

I was wondering the same thing cuz i want to put on 16inch alloys with either 195 or 205 tyres as soon as I get vista this week. So, I asked the salesman who's handling my car if any such upsize is possible. He said that the warranty would be voided if i changed the diameter of the tyre in any way. Which rules out going for 185s or 195s. I'm not sure that even the dealerships have a uniform opinion on this matter as this is a grey area...as has been pointed out elsewhere. Can someone give me a definite answer to this one??? Or is it better if i just wait 2 years adn then put them on once the warranty runs out??
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 18:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

16 inchers are waay overkill. suggest you stick to the 14" rims , and upgrade to 185/60 tyres at the most.
PS: 2 year warranty? I'd suggest you take the Longest warranty they will sell you ( which i believe is the 2+2 year warranty). trust me , you'll need it. I'm glad i did
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 20:27   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
16 inchers are waay overkill. suggest you stick to the 14" rims , and upgrade to 185/60 tyres at the most.
PS: 2 year warranty? I'd suggest you take the Longest warranty they will sell you ( which i believe is the 2+2 year warranty). trust me , you'll need it. I'm glad i did
I wanna go in for the extended warranty but dad's against it and i just can't get him to see the light...

Putting on 185/60s will still change the diameter and the sales guy said that it'd void the warranty. I could just put on 14" alloys and stick with the stock tyres which happen to be tubeless bridgestone b250s - quite acceptable... but that's not the point. I want to know if there's any definite answer to what would void the warranty (any change in diameter vs limited change in diameter vs upsizing rims etc) because i seem to be recieving different answers from different quarters...

Oh, and I think that the vista would be able to handle the 16s coz the suspension is ridiculously soft - the ride shouldn't become too harsh...
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 21:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
that its giving me between 16.5 to 18kmpl every week. once it returned 19.6 kmpl! all this with 100% A/C and in 100% city conditions.did on the V2).
Damn thats really good. hows your driving style. normal or super slow? what about traffic?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 21:51   #58
Senior - BHPian

the sales guy will say many things . he will not be the one servicing your car. check with the TASC you plan to go to/ ask someone you know who has a tata vehicle to check with their adviser.

Why exactly does your dad not want an extended warranty? his reasons? does he like gambling by any chance

if its hard to convince him, ask the sales guy to sneak the warranty in. they're used to doing it anyway. Otherwise , you can still buy it at no extra cost within 90 days of purchase.

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th March 2009 at 21:52.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 22:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post
I wanna go in for the extended warranty but dad's against it and i just can't get him to see the light...
GO for the extended warranty. Don't wait for two years to see the light.
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 22:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeblitz View Post

Oh, and I think that the vista would be able to handle the 16s coz the suspension is ridiculously soft - the ride shouldn't become too harsh...
Try to convince your dad about it. You can save some money as when you purchase the vehicle and take extended warranty at that time itself then you pay less money in comparison if you opt it after 2 years.

I think 16 inch will make the ride a bit harsh. but 15 inch should be fine, that voids the warranty though.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote