Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 19th March 2009, 17:15   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if its hard to convince him, ask the sales guy to sneak the warranty in. they're used to doing it anyway. Otherwise , you can still buy it at no extra cost within 90 days of purchase.
No extra cost??? You mean that I can just pay the regular Rs.4000 something they charge within 90 days after delivery and get the warranty?? If that's so, it's an excellent option for me. but hten ofcourse, I'll just have to forget about my whole upsizing ideas and just stick to 14s. tough choice
nukeblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:11   #62
BHPian

No updates from CtrlAltDel in long term report?. Would be great to get frequent updates on the Vista's progress thro' services et al since we have so many threads with constant updates on Swifts ownership reports.
avasekeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 00:26   #63
BHPian

Default Vista mileage

I think this might be the appropriate place to put this question....My Vista is giving me a city mileage of 14kmpl even after the first service...wanted to know anybody else in Bangalore who is having a similar problem....The vehcile has done 3700kms in 2 months and is nearing the 2nd free service mark...Anything that I need to get done during that 2nd service that will improve the mileage....
svdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 02:56   #64
BHPian

Recently, I drove from bangalore to Bellary. Being alone, I drove like crazy in my Vista Quadrajet Aqua and maintained avg speed of 100-110 Kmph. I got FE of 17.5 KMPL which I think is pretty good considering my heavy right foot.

@ Avi, your observations are spot on! I drive Swfit VDI and Vista Quadrajet Aqua hence I can confidently vouch for it.

I am pretty impressed with Vista at this point in time wherein it is just 3 months old, with 3500 Kms on the Odo. But would be very interested to know long term ownership reports of say 20k, 30 K Kms. Anyone done 20k already?? Pls share your inputs.

I get a squeaky sound from the front suspension. Anyone has similar compliants?

Also, I fail to understand what will go wrong in the car if you upsize from 14 inch to say 15 or 16 inch wheels or if you use broader tires? I think atleast half of the swifts on the roads either have broader tires or bigger wheels or both (like me), nothing has happened to them so far?

Last edited by anandkumargb : 8th July 2009 at 03:01. Reason: Additions
anandkumargb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 09:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
I think this might be the appropriate place to put this question....My Vista is giving me a city mileage of 14kmpl even after the first service...wanted to know anybody else in Bangalore who is having a similar problem....The vehcile has done 3700kms in 2 months and is nearing the 2nd free service mark...Anything that I need to get done during that 2nd service that will improve the mileage....

My brother in law's Vista gives around 14-15 KMPL in bangalore city and 20+ on highway driving. I think what you are getting is an OK mileage in Bangalore city. The Kms you drive per day, the traffic conditions and your driving style also matters for that extra 2 -3 kms more or less.

It is definitely not on the lower side.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 14:24   #66
BHPian

Default Vista mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Recently, I drove from bangalore to Bellary. Being alone, I drove like crazy in my Vista Quadrajet Aqua and maintained avg speed of 100-110 Kmph. I got FE of 17.5 KMPL which I think is pretty good considering my heavy right foot.
I drove to Belgaum 2 weeks back and I got a similar mileage...Was doing 110kmph almost consistently and once touched 140Kmph......we were 3 adults together....I got overall of 17.8kmpl over the 1000kms trip....
svdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 18:23   #67
BHPian

Default Thread revival

Now reviving this thread after ages!

My hibernation from posting in this forum was forced due to very heavy workload back then. I found myself getting addicted to the forum and lots of man hours at work was spent on reading the threads. When my workload increased, I forced myself to stop coming here for a few months. After a few days of desperate withdrawl symptoms I somehow managed to immerse myself in work.

The bad thing here was that even when I was comparatively freer a few months down the line, interest in posting here had waned. In fact for nearly till later half of 2010, I rarely used to browse the site, except for regularly reading new car reviews and ownership experiences. Since I never logged in, I also could not check any messages in my inbox. I apologize to everyone who sent me questions about the Vista but could not get any reply from my end.

Hopefully I am back now and I will now give the long over due "long term report".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be three years of very happy ownership later this month (28th Sept to be exact). I have covered 46000+ kms till date and the experience has been fabulous.

My previous Indica V2 DLS was a good car but was plagued by small electrical niggles like blown fuses etc. It had started rattling at around 5000 kms itself. In spite of all these I had decided to put my faith in TATA and booked the Vista after a mind blowing test ride a few days before it was launched in Sept 2008. Mine was the first or second Vista on the roads in Hyderabad (as per the dealer) and I enjoyed the exclusivity (and stares) for 2 months before the deliveries started in right earnest.

This car made me retain my faith in the TATA brand. It was a sign that they are learning and improving.

Main things that impressed me:
  • No electrical glitches till date. Everything works like it did when it was new.
  • Amazingly rock steady gear shift lever. Even now, there is absolutely no vibration felt while holding the lever. The lever of my V2 and my dad's WagonR had started shaking at less than 10000 kms of running.
  • First small rattle in the meter assembly glass pane started at almost 40000 kms. It was fixed in the 40K service and has never reoccurred. No other rattling ever. A buzzing low pitched rattling occurs now only when I am driving at too low a speed for a specific gear and that too mainly when something is placed on the shelf in front of the meter assembly, touching the pane. Indicates improving build quality.
  • Great torque curve for city driving conditions. The versatile 2nd and 3rd gears have the perfect ratios. This deserves a whole paragraph and so I will explain more of this later.
  • Space...space...space! Shoulder room and leg room in the back is great for three passengers. My parents love to sit there.
  • Smooth and refined at idle and 3rd gear upwards. 1st and 2nd gears are slightly more noisy.
  • Low maintenance. I never faced any issues with this.
  • A*S*S. I know I am saying something against the commonly held belief, but my experience with TATA A*S*S since my V2 days (2003 onwards) has been very good. Not excellent but very good. No complaints at all. Auto Chenoy (before they opted out of being TASS), Autofin (before they defected to Maruthi) and now Malik cars have all been very good to me. One experience at Tejaswi Motors was not so good and I never went back there.
  • User friendly features like seat height adjustment is a boon for my wife.
  • Chilling air-con
  • Very decent FE in city with 100% air-con, in the range of 14.5 to 15.5 kmpl. On highways runs, the FE is in the range of 19 to 22 kmpl.
Some negatives:
  • Shakes at speeds exceeding 125kmph. Scary.
  • Lack of ABS and the bodyroll saps my confidence in continuing 100+ speeds in curving highways. Its adequate on straight lines with a clear view ahead.
  • Gear shift is not smooth. Shifting requires some effort especially for someone who is not used to driving it.
  • Adjustable lumbar support is slightly loosening and sometimes retracts itself if I lean back with force.
  • The top layer of plastic on the Power window switches are slowly peeling off. Sticking them back with superglue.
  • Steering column started rattling 2 months ago. Replaced it under Extended Warranty (which expires by the end of this month). btw, it was the only time I used the Warranty till date for this car.
  • internal cover of the ExORVM adjustment knobs sometimes turn loose and have to be pressed into place.
  • The auto cutoff mechanism now-a-days triggers atleast 5 liters before tank full. The guys at the petrol pump says some "air pipe" inside needs to be cleaned. Will look into it at the 50K service.
Later modifications:
  • Added Neo Alloy Wheels last year. Set of four for 15K
  • Stock Goodyear tyres ran for 45K and I replaced them last month with stock sized Goodyears, again. The tyres never gave me any trouble and I had only 2 punctures in the last 3 years. As a result the original spare tyre was hardly used and I have not replaced it. Originally I wanted to upsize to 185 or 195 width tyres but did not do so since I am planning to sell this off (details and reasons will be explained later).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to sign off now. Will continue later, hopefully tonight itself.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 19:09   #68
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Thread revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
[*]Chilling air-con[*]Very decent FE in city with 100% air-con, in the range of 14.5 to 15.5 kmpl. On highways runs, the FE is in the range of 19 to 22 kmpl.[/list]Some negatives:[list]
[*]Adjustable lumbar support is slightly loosening and sometimes retracts itself if I lean back with force.
I took delivery of my car on Oct 8th 2008. It has completed 49200km. It took me all parts of western india till OKHA. it has never stranded me anywhere

One thing i face is poor AC. not at all sufficient in highway's. Iam facing the problem of AC water seepage inside car at blower speeds of three and four. Concorde did something. Yet check its efficacy on highway's

Even my stock good year are fine. still threads are visible.

One peculiar problem face is lack of throttle response at 2000 RPM on slight gradients. Concorde is not able to solve it. to be fair to them i was not able to replicate in to them whenever they tested it.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 02:02   #69
BHPian

Default Re: Thread revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I took delivery of my car on Oct 8th 2008. It has completed 49200km. It took me all parts of western india till OKHA. it has never stranded me anywhere
thats true of even the V2 in my experience. the engine and transmission are very reliable and never let you down. The popularity of V2 in the taxi segment is the proof of its toughness, reliability and low costs!. Now Vista has carried forward this reliability factor in an improved package.
Quote:
One thing i face is poor AC. not at all sufficient in highway's. Iam facing the problem of AC water seepage inside car at blower speeds of three and four. Concorde did something.
oh...I never faced this. What explanation did Concorde give for this problem?
Quote:
Even my stock good year are fine. still threads are visible.
since it has run almost 50K kms, better change it. the threads may be visible, but it will surely not be as pronounced as in a new tyre. It may become puncture prone.
Quote:
One peculiar problem face is lack of throttle response at 2000 RPM on slight gradients. Concorde is not able to solve it. to be fair to them i was not able to replicate in to them whenever they tested it.
what gear were you driving in, in those situations and what was the speed?if the car was moving up a gradient at more than 40kmph, even the fourth gear is sufficient in my experience. Lack of throttle response on gradients may occur only if the speeds were lower than what is suitable for the current gear. Down-shifting would solve the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That brings me to something I said earlier that I will write more about - the excellent torque curve and the versatile 2nd and 3rd gears.

Unlike the sporty tuning for the Swift, TATA has obviously tuned the same MJD engine for city drivability. This is one thing I really LOVE about Vista. The peak torque is reached pretty early at 1750rpm and this ensure loads of low end torque.

In the second gear the car can move from little more than 5kmph without my foot touching the clutch. This is great for slow moving traffic (but not bumper to bumper stop and go kind). The third gear has a wider range starting from around 18kmph! in normal slow city traffic I just slot the car in 3rd gear (2nd if its slower) and let go of both the clutch and accelerator. The car can putter along for the entire day in the minimum speed for the gear. If I spot a gap in traffic that I can slip into, all it requires is just a tap of the accelerator. Once the distance is covered in a flash, I let go of the accelerator and once again putter along at the minimum speed. This technique is perfect for city traffic where the traffic hardly moves above 40kmph. Once it crosses 40-45 and I feel I can sustain the speed for a longer time, I slot it into 4th gear.

I have learnt how to use engine braking in combination with the low end torque to ensure a comfortable ride in slow moving traffic and ensuring good FE in the bargain. I rarely use the brakes unless I have to reduce speed in a hurry (like when the vehicle in front slows down suddenly or someone walks across the road). Just releasing the accelerator ensures a sudden drop in speed and the car never goes below the minimum speed for that gear. This was scary for me when I starting using this procedure but once I got used to it, I find it most comfortable. At the most I just tap the brake pedal and release it at once and this ensures the car travels at a speed I want in any situation. even my brakes last longer and are in very decent condition now.

Warning: the above technique of using engine braking is NOT recommended if you have another vehicle travelling close behind yours. Engine braking will not activate the stop lamps in the back and the driver behind you may not have adequate warning that you are slowing down. Use this technique only if the conditions are suitable. especially beware of Autoricks who love to travel inches away behind you.

An amazing quality is the acceleration in 4th gear! at speeds above 45kmph, the 4th gear is no slouch. The car can accelerate very well in 4th at those speeds and its good for quickly overtaking slow vehicles in city.

The only problem is bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. Its really painful switching between neutral and 1st gear constantly for upto 15-20 minutes at a time. The notchy gear shift doest help either. Everyday when I get home, my left leg aches badly. Seeing the worsening traffic conditions, I have decided to go for an automatic car to help me retain my sanity. This is one reason I have decided to sell my Vista shortly. I will discuss my options in another thread I will open soon.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote