Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th December 2006, 00:47   #46
BWN
BHPian

Recently one of my collegue bought Flair after a very exhaustive comparison with indigo. Indigo lost due to its niggling issues reported by most of the websites. Flair has been performing well since last 3 months and he is reporting a mileage of 16-17 kmpl on highway with partial AC & around 13 in city(mysore). Initial service was at 5k kms and that costed him about 1200 Rs, which makes him sleep in peace. He has opted for TMP though.
BWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 03:26   #47
BHPian

my ikon 1.6 used to give me 9-10 km in mixed driving conditions till all the way till 68000 km on odo before sold it.
fight_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 09:49   #48
Team-BHP Support

The point here is that most of us are discussing the mileage figures on the New Ford Ikon Flair, which coems with a 1.3L engine. Its this engine which under sedate conditions gives in city kmpl around the 12-13 mark.
The 1.6 is a high powered car, in comparison, and hence bound to give lower figures as it begs to be ripped. IMHO, 10kmpl in city on a 1.6L is pretty decent.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 10:48   #49
BHPian

how much i can pay for 2000 Ford Ikon 1.3 CLXi? [Car is in bangalore] How much maintenance cost will come a year? [ any guess]
deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 11:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
wow all these are dream figures for me...12 and 13.....does anyone know the FE for the 1.6....currently i am getting around 5kmpl...and if i BAGGAOO then hahahaha...u can guess....any other 1.6 owners here...
Man, 5kmpl is LOW....have you done your services as per schedule? My 1.6 is almost 6 years old, has done about 150k kms and gives between 9.5 & 11 kmpl depending on time of year (higher mileage in winters) with AC being used 50% of the times........if bhagao-ed, reduce those numbers by about 1-1.5 kmpl
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2006, 12:08   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

my ikon 1.6 used to give me 9-10kmpl in delhi with 100%ac.
5kmpl...something is wrong.get your car checked man.thats an awfully low mileage that you are getting.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 15:30   #52
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Ikon Flair

Hello Tbhp members, this is my very first post in this forum and it feels great to be a part of this awesome community.

I currently own a maruti 800 and I am planning to upgrade to a used sedan as I use the car mainly for long drives on highways as I love travelling and 800 is not a very good vehicle for long trips on highways. I have a budget of around 1.2 lakhs. The cars that I have in mind are the ford ikon flair or an esteem.

Recently I have come across a ford ikon flair 2000 model, run 50k kms and single owner. Asking price is 1 lakh negotable which fits under my budget.

I am planning to see the vehicle in a couple of days, I would like to know how much would I have to spend approximately on the first service after purchase assuming that the vehicle is in OK condition. I am not a technically sound person when it comes to vehicles so I am not able to elaborate clearly. I feel that if I can fix the deal at about 90k then I will be able to spend around 30k for a proper servicing, which I guess should bring the car to a very good condition.

I would also like to know whether Ford Service Stations will do a proper inspection of the vehicle before purchasing if I pay them some amount.

Lastly, is there any way to check if the car is giving very low mileage. Like by observing the colour of smoke or seeing water drops in the exhaust pipe.
As I guess fuel efficiency is the only thing that cannot be tested. I would be happy with a mileage of 10-11 kmpl without AC in city, can i expect that from this 11 yr old ikon?

Would love to get detailed responses from the members, so that I can fix the deal as soon as possible.

After going through all the threads, I felt that this is the thread for this post...Let me know if I am wrong, then I will post it in the correct thread.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks and Cheers
ravi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 09:41   #53
Team-BHP Support

Ravi, i would suggest you put in some more money and go in for an Ikon which is slightly newer. I am not sure if there was a Flair model in 2000, and even if it did, it would be with the old endura engine, which is not too fuel efficient.

If you can put in some more money, and go in for a Flair model which came with the Rocam engine, you would be much better off.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Benbsb29.

Ikon Flair was never there in 2000 The petrol engine options at that time could either be the 1.6 Rocam or the 1.3 Endura.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 10:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I agree with Benbsb29.

Ikon Flair was never there in 2000 The petrol engine options at that time could either be the 1.6 Rocam or the 1.3 Endura.
The ROCAM was introduced sometime in 2002-2003, it was only ENDURA back in 2000 with 1.6 & 1.3 spec
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 12:36   #56
BHPian

@ravi_23 Your safest bet is an Esteem in that budget. We had an ikon in 2002 - 2005 period and lot of money was wasted on it. An Esteem will keep you out of the workshop and will be dependable for long drives.
AstonMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 12:53   #57
BHPian

Thanks for all your responses. I never knew about the Endura engine. I always believed that 1.3 is the Flair version. So, since the owner has mentioned his 2000 model ikon as flair so there must be something fishy, and will have to check the engine and proper documents.

I was almost certain to get my hands on this ikon, so sold off my 800 2 days back...I just waited to get some expert advice regarding the mileage and maintenance costs. For example when I used to give my 800 for servicing it used to cost be somewhere in the range of rs 3,000 to 4,500. From the ikon owners I would like to know how much would be the difference.

I need this car because it is very cheap and its a single owner car. I was looking for a cheap sedan as I am used to driving a small car (m800) so before moving to the sedan segment, I wanted to get used to driving a sedan...which I feel would be a bit difficult to drive in cities as compared to small car. After setting my hands on this used sedan I intend to sell it off after a year or so and get a new sedan...so that my new sedan doesn't get any scratches or dents

Mr. benbsb29 can you be a bit specefic about the low mileage? What is the lowest mileage that I can expect from it. Since my monthly running is less, around 500-600 kms so even 8-9 kmpl in city will do for me....can I atleast get that much without AC?

So the bottom line is, if this car gets me a mileage of 8-9 kmpl after a proper servicing and resolving small niggles, I would go for it. And after paying 90k on the car I am willing to pay around 20k more on servicing and tuning. So pls guide me. I wish to get the car within 1-2 days. Your accurate responses will be very valuable.

Thank you
Old 25th April 2011, 14:09   #58
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
For example when I used to give my 800 for servicing it used to cost be somewhere in the range of rs 3,000 to 4,500. From the ikon owners I would like to know how much would be the difference.
Ikon service at Ford is around 2800-3000Rs per service including labour. This includes oil and filter changes. However this is for Ikon Flair, not the older 1.3 L variant (CLXi?)

If I remember correctly, the older 1.3 gives 9-11 in the city depending on driving conditions.

Hope this helps.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 14:18   #59
BHPian

Thanks Dot, that really helps....its a relief to hear that.

I would also like to know whether ford people will the inspect the vehicle for me if I take it to a Ford Service Station before purchasing it. Since I am not very much familiar with the mechanicals, I may end up with a lemon. So I do not want to take any chances.

And if yes, then how much should I pay them for an inspection and test drive, any approx amount.

Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 14:55   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
I would also like to know whether ford people will the inspect the vehicle for me if I take it to a Ford Service Station before purchasing it. Since I am not very much familiar with the mechanicals, I may end up with a lemon. So I do not want to take any chances.

And if yes, then how much should I pay them for an inspection and test drive, any approx amount.
I am not sure if the people at Ford out of their official capacity would inspect the car for you. You could try on informal terms, though. However, to bring in greater maintenance cahs for them, you may be suggested to change many parts.

Do try to get hold of a reliable mechanic who can help evaluate the car for you.

Mileage returned should be within the expected values.