Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th August 2009, 11:02   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More news: My dad is driving the car to Bangalore this weekend on some work. If the AC doesn't foul up on the trip here, then I'll go ahead and keep her here and probably get routine services done at VST, Chennai.
I guess you answered your question - Keep the car in Bangalore Take care and drive safe.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 18:55   #92

Ice, I agree with you. The service is pathetic in Bangalore. I have Fiat 1.6 again a great car to drive. But niggles keep coming now and then and Prerana and Manipal are inept to deal with it. For the last two occasions I have visited Green Tracks (authorised service center) near Silk Board Junction. The sevice person, Mr. Babu by name, is better in the sense , more communicative and seems to take active interest in the problem in hand. Its too early to say he is the best, but so far I am satisfied.
ragsri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 12:32   #93
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsri View Post
Ice, I agree with you. The service is pathetic in Bangalore. I have Fiat 1.6 again a great car to drive. But niggles keep coming now and then and Prerana and Manipal are inept to deal with it. For the last two occasions I have visited Green Tracks (authorised service center) near Silk Board Junction. The sevice person, Mr. Babu by name, is better in the sense , more communicative and seems to take active interest in the problem in hand. Its too early to say he is the best, but so far I am satisfied.

Ragsri,

Will give Green Tracks a shot. Why are all the Fiat service centers far,far away from civilization?! I can get my Ford serviced on St.Mark's road, a Maruti pretty much anywhere, and a Hyundai near Cantt Station.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 00:20   #94
BHPian

Ice,

I am shocked to know that no Fiat service centers are capable to solve your problem. If you are finding it so problamatic to get a FIAT serviced in Blore, What happens to all Punto Buyers?

Kiran
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 13:00   #95
BHPian

A bit OT, but still -
My Palio MJD had a problem with the AC about a month back. I didnt know what went wrong, but the AC just stopped working. It was a horrible one month period. I also had to do a couple of trips to Chennai in the same condition - terrible terrible! Green Tracks took two weeks to source a AC condensor and rectify the problem under warranty.( Just wondering if it would have happened faster if I was paying for the part, instead of warranty!) Anyways, finally it has been sorted out, and I am back to my happy driving ways!

The positive side of it was I got a better mileage figure for a couple of tankfuls.

While on the subject, I thought i would also mention that some of us may have a habit of forgetfully keeping the AC on even when there is a problem with the AC. this could harm the compressor in the long run. Although I was careful about this, during the AC-not-working period, I am just keeping my fingers crossed that there has been no damage to the compressor.

Somehow after this failure, I am not so confident of the manufacturing quality of FIAT cars.

Last edited by jagan0677 : 17th August 2009 at 13:01. Reason: Typos :(
jagan0677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 21:30   #96
Ice
BHPian

Update: The AC is working fine! VST Motors installed a cut-off type thermostat (the one that goes khat-khat) and the icing problem is GONE! its been 800 km and one Madras-Blr drive and she's fine so far.

Getting some clutch work done next week to sort out the suddenly-tough gearchanges. Watch this space
Old 18th August 2009, 00:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan0677 View Post
Somehow after this failure, I am not so confident of the manufacturing quality of FIAT cars.
The alternator and compressor are made by Magnetti Marelli and they are not so good manufacturers. Suggest known for failing. [/quote]
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 11:21   #98
Senior - BHPian

IIRC - i hear a khat sound when the compressor switches on & off in my GTX.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread: but my car's fog lamps have stopped working since day before yesterday. the LED light in the switch turns on - but the foglamps are not working - fuse problem??
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 17:13   #99
Ice
BHPian

Default ARRRGGGHHH!!! Help!!!!

I want to take a chainsaw to the Fiat inventory management system. And then serve more of the same to the suits who run the company in this country.

My car has been at VST for the past 2 weeks! Waiting for a modified clutch bracket which is supposed to magically fix the obstinate gearshift. The modified clutch bracket is being fitted on all new Palio MJDs, and the part needs to come off the line and find its way to VST in Madras. Hardly rocket science.

VST is powerless. Fiat is not committing to a delivery time, and VST is parroting their emasculated responses to me everyday, faithfully at 4 PM. The poor SA at VST, the charmingly named Mr.Lyle Sawyer Singh, is in the firing line and my aim is getting better with every daily update.

What do I do? Mangesh Kodalkar seems to be totally oblivious to my pleading emails, my threatening emails, my dramatic emails, my swear-word infested emails, and my praiseworthy emails. In short, I am convinced that he doesn't exist. I'd probably be better off asking Santa for the part.

Team-BHP - help! I need to get through to Fiat and give them a short lesson on inventory and customer management. Arrgh!

(But don't feel too sad for me - I'm using the old man's Ikon TDCI and enjoying the experience and get to vent my spleen at VST every day)
Old 4th September 2009, 17:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I want to take a chainsaw to the Fiat inventory management system. And then serve more of the same to the suits who run the company in this country.

My car has been at VST for the past 2 weeks! Waiting for a modified clutch bracket which is supposed to magically fix the obstinate gearshift. The modified clutch bracket is being fitted on all new Palio MJDs, and the part needs to come off the line and find its way to VST in Madras. Hardly rocket science.

VST is powerless. Fiat is not committing to a delivery time, and VST is parroting their emasculated responses to me everyday, faithfully at 4 PM. The poor SA at VST, the charmingly named Mr.Lyle Sawyer Singh, is in the firing line and my aim is getting better with every daily update.

What do I do? Mangesh Kodalkar seems to be totally oblivious to my pleading emails, my threatening emails, my dramatic emails, my swear-word infested emails, and my praiseworthy emails. In short, I am convinced that he doesn't exist. I'd probably be better off asking Santa for the part.

Team-BHP - help! I need to get through to Fiat and give them a short lesson on inventory and customer management. Arrgh!

(But don't feel too sad for me - I'm using the old man's Ikon TDCI and enjoying the experience and get to vent my spleen at VST every day)
Why don't you contact Rajiv Kapoor - CEO directly. That should ideally take care of all your worries
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 18:01   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsri View Post
Babu is relatively okay person, but even he goofed up a couple of repairs that I had in my siena 1.6 2 years back. So, the moral of the lesson is that you must be very watchful and keep following up any part replacement with Fiat service centers - atleast at Bangalore. This is the sole reason I moved to Maruti last year, but I must say that my Fiat was a gem of a car with unforunately nil (or negative) support from service centers.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 4th September 2009 at 18:02.
ece2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 00:52   #102
Senior - BHPian

This modified bracket... is it a sort of official recall? I mean should I get it changed as well? While I am not facing any serious gearshift issues, I could do with a better gearshift! My car is the first batch with engine (and supposedly the gearbox, too) is made in Poland, if Fiat dealers are to be believed.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 16:07   #103
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
This modified bracket... is it a sort of official recall? I mean should I get it changed as well? While I am not facing any serious gearshift issues, I could do with a better gearshift! My car is the first batch with engine (and supposedly the gearbox, too) is made in Poland, if Fiat dealers are to be believed.

Architect,
VST informed me that it was an official recall in the sense that an advisory had been sent out to all Fiat ASCs. The advisory suggested an immediate change-over to the mod clutch bracket for all Palio MJDs with current or past complaints of difficult gear-shifting and a lethargic clutch.

But the parts will not be found in any ASCs inventory. The ASC will have to reach out to FIAPL and order the part once the respective car comes in with this complaint. It seems that all new MJDs are coming factory-fitted with this modified clutch bracket.

Be prepared for a long wait for this part to reach you. I'm still waiting.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:08   #104
BHPian

Hey Ice,
Any idea when did this recall happened. The bracket of my MJD was changed way back in April and it was then when I was told that FIAT has asked for replacement of faulty brackets.
Now I am just wondering is this bracket similar to what I got replaced 5 months back or is this something more advanced and effective?
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 23:52   #105
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Hey Ice,
Any idea when did this recall happened. The bracket of my MJD was changed way back in April and it was then when I was told that FIAT has asked for replacement of faulty brackets.
Now I am just wondering is this bracket similar to what I got replaced 5 months back or is this something more advanced and effective?
Bubby,

I am pretty sure it's the same bracket. I don't see two separate versions of a clutch bracket being designed by Fiat in the space of 5 months, especially for the Palio.

Be that as it may, I'll still check with VST on this once they actually get the part for my car.