Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 22nd May 2009, 10:19   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The 3.0 DiCOR will hit 160 kph in 5th - it will NOT cross 160 kph in stock form. Downhill, wind assist etc. do not matter - the ECU(s) ensure you cannot cross 160 kph.

try as hard as I may, my 3.0 does not cross 150 in 5th. the engine is approx at 2600 rpm. I tried it on a couple of occassions on my drive from Hyd to Blr last month.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default How I Tried To Cheat My Brother And How My Brother Got Lucky!

I've got a confession to make.

My Brother and his friends were planning a trip to Coorg. Now, what better ride than the SAFARI to the countryside. He slowly started preparing me for the question by talking about the trip and how they are finding it difficult to arrange a vehicle and such. I knew what was coming. I silently rehearsed my lines and was ready when he popped the question.

"You can take the SAFARI, if you buy me alloy wheels for it" was my reply.

He was more than willing, maybe because he had to make the trip first.

The trip went off well. My Brother's friend who drives a BOLERO was full of praise for it. Other than some suspension noise and excessive black smoke, there were no complaints.

There was this one incident, where the SAFARI was parked on the grass and had to do an incline when the rear wheels started spinning. One shift on the BORG WARNER transfer case and it was on its way, ploughing through the grass.

Coorg trip done, the search started for the alloy wheels. We searched almost the whole of Bangalore and the internet, but were not smiling ear to ear.

The SAFARI needs SUV alloys, and most alloys are car alloys. Besides that, I recently bought GEOLANDARS that were 15 inchers and now realised that most alloys for SUV's were 16 inchers. We got in touch with so many friends and did the rounds but ended up with selecting a design and finding that it was out of production or could not be sourced, and left with a design that did not suit our tastes.

I was very keen on getting a tough set of alloys since I did not want to compromise on the vehicles off road capabilities.

Finally, I struck gold. There is this nondescript puncture repair shop on JC Road. The guy has begun stocking some run down alloys, mostly single pieces, crack repaired stuff and the like.

To our luck, he had 'OLD SAFARI OEM ALLOYS'. A full set of five. (some bloke had exchanged his OEM alloys for the new bling stuff). We sounded disinterested to gain an edge in negotiation. Though I was willing to pay 15 grand, mananged to close the deal for 9 grand. Five original alloys for 5 grand.

These were the exact alloys that I would have got had I ordered my SAFARI with alloys, when it was bought new.

Spent an hour going through then with a fine microscope (kidding) and was satisfied that it was a stonking deal.

Too much words. Let the pictures now do the talking. The first one is Coorg (for the record)
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 23:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the pictures.

Have to blame it on the internet issues with DataOne on Diwali day
Attached Images

Old 18th October 2009, 10:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

5 OEM alloys for 9k!!! You lucky!

Guess you got the perfect Diwali gift!!!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 18:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

The tyre shop guy has another set of OEM alloys. Five of them, alongwith medium wear CEAT tyres. He's looking for buyers, if anyone wants to pick them up please do so. The only problem is that they are 15 inchers

He also has various other alloys. IKON, BENZ, 800 etc. etc.

I'm not advertising for the guy, but just letting fellow BHPians know that there is gold in the dirt

Last edited by TheARUN : 18th October 2009 at 18:38. Reason: Additions
Old 20th October 2009, 10:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The tyre shop guy has another set of OEM alloys. Five of them, alongwith medium wear CEAT tyres. He's looking for buyers, if anyone wants to pick them up please do so. The only problem is that they are 15 inchers

He also has various other alloys. IKON, BENZ, 800 etc. etc.

I'm not advertising for the guy, but just letting fellow BHPians know that there is gold in the dirt
Thats great news, could you please PM me his name and number if you have it. I m looking for OE alloys for the Scorp if he has them.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 18:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Good going Arun, that sounds good deal. Whats your feedback about Geolander ATS in terms of ride quality and handling/grip ?

One more question is where you service your safari and any issues in availability of spares and If you do body repair did you face any delay in sourcing body parts etc.. ?

See if you can get alloy caps which would improve look, should not cost more than 100bucks for each I think or try JC road first. I did the samething in the past. Opposite to parking building in JC road the corner shop guy is very good in sourcing used tyres/alloys. He is trust worthy although hard bargin is must!

PM me If you want keep it confidential. Congrats again.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 31st October 2009 at 18:09.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Default The KGF Trip

We went out with family on Sunday. Its a place called Kolar Gold Fields, a 100 kilometers from Bangalore. My Uncle has a nice big house there and we went alongwith their family on some personal work.

They had a BOLERO STORM which my cousin was driving and it was me on the SAFARI

The first thing I noticed was that more people in the vehicle increase the 'load'. The vehicle used to feel so light since I never had anyone in the rear jump seats, but this time, my Brother had to sit in the back on the jump seats and I could make out the extra weight while driving with him sitting in the rear. He's the wrong side of 80 kgs and that might have added to the feeling.

The drive to KGF was uneventful with the SAFARI mile munching in all its glory. Not a single hitch, the only thing was that the BOLERO which started out late, caught us, overtook us and stayed with us for a long time and then disappeared into the horizon. I consoled myself saying
  • The BOLERO is 2600cc while the SAFARI was 1998cc
  • The BOLERO was a CRDe while the SAFARI was a TCIC
  • The BOLERO was lighter than the SAFARI
We reached the destination 10 minutes after the BOLERO and everyone travelling in the SAFARI was in good cheer, even my 6 foot Brother sitting in the 'boot'

It started drizzling on the way to KGF, and we plodded on without too much of worry.

While we were there, 'Jal' the cyclonic storm set in, and it begain to rain. No problem still, we went to visit a family friend and then went to attend a function.

The function area was a little interior off the main road and there was a small muddy road which was real tricky in the rain, I gleefully switched on the 4x4 and ploughed my way through. Was so glad that I had an opportunity to use the 4x4

Things started going wrong when we returned. The wipers suddenly stopped working. I tried switching them on and off, manually moving them, but they simply wouldn't work. We came to my Uncle's house and I did not want to spread the nervousness around. I had to drive the vehicle to Bangalore, in rain, without wipers

We bought cigarettes (no one in the family smokes) and rubbed the tobacco on the windscreen. We started off, the tobacco really helped and I was able to drive 40kmph in the rain. Did a quick calculation and realised that the drive to Bangalore could take more than 3 hours and darkness would definitely set in. I desperately wanted to get the wipers rectified. We reached the town of Bangarapet about 15 kilometers from KGF and I was determined to get my wipers fixed. It did not help that it was a Sunday evening and the Diwali weekend. Most of the auto electricals were shut. Managed to find a teenager with a shop, he fiddled around for 15 minutes and threw up his hand in despair. He said he has to remove the entire wiper assembly and fix it and was not interested in so much work. He shooed me off up the road.

On a hunch I approached another shop, and got a more experienced electrician, he fiddled around for two minutes, and lo-and-behold, the wipers were up and running. He asked me to get a move on and get the wipers checked on priority in Bangalore. I thanked my stars and swore never to switch off the wipers and hit the road.

I was now doing 60 kmph and was inching my way into Bangalore. Suddenly, the power window on the Co-Drivers side, went down on its own. I was shocked, it was raining and my Dad had to brave the rain, we kept trying the power window switch all along as we drove, and after a few minutes, it went up, and then after some time went down again, we kept trying and got it up. This happened atleast 5 times and it was getting on our nerves.

I realised that the rain was playing havoc with the electricals of the vehicle

Then the power window sorted itself out. I was relieved. But the relief was short lived. The rear passenger power window now went down suddenly. My Mom had to now brave the rain, the same thing happened. It went down on its own and after a lot of fiddling with the switches it went up, then down. This happended atleast 10 times and we were seriously fed up.

Then it was the turn of the BOLERO. I saw my cousins on the roadside with the BOLERO stranded, problem was, their wipers had also stopped. They somehow got them on and we moved on.

Darkness had set in and I then realised that my main headlights had gone. I was only left with the 'pencil beam'. Thank God for four headlights.

I slowly drove towards Bangalore. It was very challenging. We had to put the AC on since the insides were misting up, and with the AC on, the outsides started misting up due to ineffective wipers. It was constant toggling between the AC and the Heater to keep the windscreen clear.

I even thought of breaking the windscreen and solving all the issues, but better sense prevailed. I knew it was science at work. When we close all windows, then the body heat increases the temperature inside the car and it becomes more than the temperature outside which causes misting inside the car. When we switch on the AC, it cools the car and the temperature inside drops more than the temperature outside, which mists the car on the outside.

My two cents: If you can afford to have a car with 'climate control' go for it, or atleast keep your wipers in excellent condition. In rain, you are as good as your wipers.

The ride into town was horrible, the roads were full of muck and streams running through, no electricity in some places and the holiday crowd all making their way into Bangalore

We finally reached safely. I have not touched the SAFARI since. Wiped it clean today and want to get all issues fixed this weekend.

Do I love my car?
Hell Yes

Will I take her out on a all India tour?
Hell Yes
Old 8th May 2011, 09:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

Default The 7th of May, 2011

Got to spend some quality time with the SAFARI after a long time.
  • The Air-conditioning was not working, wanted to get that sorted out
  • My Boss who drove the vehicle a few months ago told me that there was too much play in the steering and advised me to have the alignment checked 'immediately'
There was this new roadside 'exclusive' AC shop that had come up near my place, I decided to give it a shot. Got the mechanic to take a look at the SAFARI, he plugged in a meter to the gas line and declared that gas was over and had to be refilled. He gave me a quote of 2,400. After bargaining for a while he came down to 2,200 stating that gas alone would cost 2,000 and that the SAFARI by default came with dual AC's and he had to charge both. We had a funny feeling about the whole thing, told the mechanic that we would come next week and decided to go to PRERANA to get the AC sorted. At PRERANA which was as usual full of vehicles, the advisor came and took a look at our vehicle. He porked a key into the AC line and declared that gas was over and had to be refilled. He gave us an elaborate explanation - "What we will do is first fill up the gas, then remove the front bumper and check if there is any leak near the condenser, if still there is a leak, then we will remove the dash-board and check - keep checking till we find the leak and fix it because if we just fill gas, then you will be here after two months with the same problem. Gas costs 2,000 and the whole operation would take 2-3 days to fix and might come upto 5,000 all inclusive"

(Read on another post here - The worst place to be in summer is in a black SAFARI with no AC)

We were none the wiser now, we again came away giving him the excuse that we will come another day and drove to the newly opened alignment center near my home.

The mechanic there was typically 'new broom sweeps well' variety, full of enthusiasm and said that usually people charge 350 for alignment checking but I charge only 250. He put the vehicle up on the props and went under and kept tightening some nuts and bolts and checking scale guages. Finally he took the vehicle out for a spin and came back saying that it was perfect now. I found a perceptible tautness in the vehicle when it came back. The play was somewhat there but the steering was very direct and extremely responsive. The alignment mechanic who we discovered went to the same Church as us, put a sticker on the vehicle marking the next date of check-up and said that we could have a free check-up within 30 days from the 7th of May (Wish me luck - I'm planning a weekend trip to Kodai and propose to get the alignment checked once I am back from 800 kilometers of driving)

We then drove over to the neighbourhood sticker guy to get a 4x4 sticker and INTERCOOLER TURBO pasted on the sides. I was armed with printouts of the 4x4 that you see on new SAFARIs and the INTERCOOLER TURBO 2800 you see on PAJEROs. The sticker man came and have a look at the vehicle, took some measurements and gave us a quote of 240 all inclusive. We bargained a lot, but he did not reduce a single rupee. He then began 'designing' the 4x4 on the computer using corel draw and took almost a hour and half to have it somewhat perfected after a lot of suggestions from our side. The INTERCOOLER TURBO was done in a jiffy and he proceeded to have the sticker cut on his imported printer which has a laser to cut stickers.

Then came the job of pasting it. We finally paid him 250, since we thought he deserved the money for the trouble taken and drove off

On hindsight, the sticker could have been done in grey instead of white and the INTERCOOLER TURBO could have been in a smaller font. We decided to go with 2000cc instead fo the SAFARIs 1998cc

Came home joking that the vehicle had more grunt and grip now - that we had 4x4 and an INTERCOOLER TURBO added on
Attached Thumbnails
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-08052011372.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-08052011373.jpg  

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-08052011374.jpg  

Old 8th May 2011, 11:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

@thearun: The car looks tobe repainted? Am I correct. Nice pictures. how is the ride quality of the car currently? Is the suspension redone?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 12:01   #71
BHPian

Default Re: TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

hey, you don't need the turbo intercooler stickers when you have one of my favourite stickers on "Coorg Wildlife Safari".
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 13:43   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@thearun: The car looks tobe repainted? Am I correct. Nice pictures. how is the ride quality of the car currently? Is the suspension redone?
When I got the car back in 09 it was black. Did not know about it being repainted, but while cleaning it one day, I noticed patches of blue paint deep inside, the penny dropped, the SAFARI started off as a blue one and then ended up black

The ride quality is awesome. I got the suspension overhauled at PRERANA for 25,000. They said that they would do an economical job just changing the things that did not work. Before the suspension job the car was bottoming out and the ride was not very pliant, now it runs like a dream. The same road seems different, with the new suspension. While the car was undergoing its wheel alignment, I spent the entire time under it in the well, checked all the suspension bushes that were visible, they seem to be holding up pretty well
Old 8th May 2011, 13:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
hey, you don't need the turbo intercooler stickers when you have one of my favourite stickers on "Coorg Wildlife Safari".
Glad you like the Coorg stickers. Almost got into a fist fight at Office with a Kodava who said only Coorgis can have that sticker. Guess they now have moved on and have their own dagger and axe stickers leaving this beautiful one for all nature lovers.

People used to call the SAFARI the Indian PAJERO - got the INTERCOOLER TURBO one just to remind me of the PAJERO
Old 8th May 2011, 14:20   #74
BHPian

@TheARUN, the rc will have the color of the vehicle on it.
Did you check the RC book for the color?
If it was repainted to a different color, then the RC Book must be reissued with the modification I guess.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 09:27   #75
Senior - BHPian

Default 800 kilometers without a scratch

I'm back from a 800 kilometer trip to Kodaikanal from Bangalore. The SAFARI earned an additional feather in its cap
  • I purposely took the back routes this time, the B roads of Tamil Nadu criss-crossing the country side.
  • The SAFARI steering was very direct, the wheel alignment had really helped. I was able to avoid each and every pot-hole with pin-poing accuracy
  • Most of the roads were two laned and that helped in keeping up good speed
  • I had decided that I would do this trip at a constant 80kmph since I had read somewhere that the SAFARI gives its best mileage at 80kmph. What was is store for me was a real pleasant surprise. The SAFARI did the 800 kilometers trip on 2,000 rupees of fuel. Quicly claculating that gives me a mileage of 14-15 kilometers per liter
  • I had planned for a 10kmpl budget but the additional rupees saved was so very welcome and satifying. There were stretches where I was tempted to open up the throttle but kept myself strapped to 80kmpl since the vehicle was running so well
  • I also noticed that there was no strain on the engine, it was ticking at 2,000 to 2,200 rpm. Many new generation BOLEROs overtook me and I could hear their engines straining and sounding noisy while they were doing higher speeds
  • We parked the SAFARI at a friends house and took the bus to Kodaikanal, the last 60 kilometers or so. I did not want to climb the mountains with the SAFARI since there was too much objection from home on the safety aspects of me driving up the mountains
  • Tamil Nadu is full of mini busses, half of them from Kerala. They all seem to be built in Madurai and unlike the boring VOLVO clone large busses, these were very colourful and had so many design cues. Most of them were 4 wheelers with the body being extended on the sides to accomodate four narrowish push-back seats in each row - where only 3 normal push-back seats would fit
  • On the way back to Bangalore I had charted for the highway, it was an excellent road, 4 laned with beautiful tarmac, the SAFARI simply munched the miles. I stuck to the 80kmph speed limit and it was like watching a giant LCD display as the scenery lazily ticked across.
  • The vehicle to be in on the highways was easily the INNOVA. It was flying across them. We would see an INNOVA come into sight and minutes later disapper out fo sight, all the time without breaking into a sweat
  • Hatchbacks that were overtaking me easily in the daylight were now confined to slower speeds in the night, mainly because their headlights did not provide enough brightness. The SAFARI was still doing 80kmph safely and easily since the 6 lights - 2 fog-lights, 2 normal and 2 pencil beams lit up the night
  • The SAFARI did not skip a beat. No thud from the suspension, no puncture, no electrical component malfunction, no nothing.
  • This trip now gives me the confidence to plan more long distance outings, not to mention the additional financial muscle due to good efficiency
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote