Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th October 2010, 07:38   #61
BHPian

I am extremely happy with Michelin A/T. I used to have Bridgestone earlier but I think the Michelin tubeless is better than Bridgestone. The ride quality is good, the traction is also great is difficult terrains.
sumannandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 00:00   #62
BHPian

Default 72,000 km update

Safari completed 2years and 1 month with me on the 25th of Jan.
It has run 72, 829 km so far.
I’ll try to encapsulate my 25 month long ownership experience with the Safari in the following points:

* Extremely low cost of ownership. During the 72,000 odd kms the only parts requiring replacement due to wear and tear were the front brake pads and the tie rod @ 62000 kms (Perhaps once I replaced the headlight bulb too)
* Good reliability. The vehicle has not put a foot wrong. No breakdowns, no unscheduled visit to the TASS. Touch wood.
* A special mention also goes to the low running costs. I have never got a fuel efficiency figure in single digits. The figure generally hovers around 11.5 – 12kmpl. Once I got a return of 16kmpl!
* Rattles, squeaks and other unwanted noises are conspicuous by their absence.
* Interior plastic seemed to be falling apart just a month after I purchased the vehicle. And the staus quo remains. They still appear to be falling apart, but have not fallen or got disjointed just yet.
* I am in love with the seats of the SUV.
* One of the sore points of driving this vehicle is that as the wheels move over pot holes or bad roads, they transfer the jerks back to the steering wheel and also force it to rotate.
* The brakes are a mixed bag. Once I drove a 1.8 lac kms run Qualis and I was surprised to experience the bite its brakes possessed compared to my Safari. Yet whenever I have driven a small car after being used to a Safari, I have always found myself feeling that I should have braked a little earlier or should have braked a little harder.
* There are a number of odd bits in the SUV, which sometime irritate.
* Like the placement of the music system. Can’t put in CD’s when the car is in 1st or 3rd gear.
* If I have attached a USB stick ( mine is slightly long) and I slot the stick into 5th gear, invariably my hands touch the USB stick and the music gets interrupted. Sometimes a real nuisance, this.
* In the winters, I always experience a small but steady stream of cold air jetting in from all the doors. Each door handle of each door has a relatively big screw which is a source of this air jet.
* Just before sun rise or sun set, when you need to have your lights switched on and yet there is also natural light outside, one can not read the illuminated numbers of the speedometer. The numbers are lit white, while the speedo background is also white!
* There is a point, beyond which if you pull the front passenger seats forward and also unfold the arm rest; the arm rest comes in the way of the gear stick movement!
* Such a big car, and yet provided with such a small glove box! Overall: Excellent Rating!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Do not copy paste replies from other application.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th June 2011 at 12:54.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 07:27   #63
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report

@rrsteer nice ownership report. You have covered quite a lot of kms in 2 years. My have done just 30 k in 2 years.

One observation is in 2 years it is recommended to change the brake& clutch fluid and also change the coolant. it didn't see in your reports.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 09:45   #64
BHPian

Congratulations on this sweet journey, rrsteer!

You've highlighted the plus and minus points very well. Yes the minor niggles are there, but then all cars will have some minus points or other.

Wishing you many many more kilometers of driving pleasures with this beautiful elephant.

(Your post time reads 31st January 2011, 00:00. Wow. Very rare to get that 00:00 I think. )
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 11:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@rrsteer nice ownership report. You have covered quite a lot of kms in 2 years. My have done just 30 k in 2 years.

One observation is in 2 years it is recommended to change the brake& clutch fluid and also change the coolant. it didn't see in your reports.
Thanks. I follow the owners manual to a T. I changed the brake and clutch fluid and also the coolant @62K. Infact the coolant change led to issues that got solved by itself only recently. I think I got the coolant changed in October and ever since in the morning I would notice a small patch of green coloured fluid in my parking space. In between I cross checked with TASS to ascertain what was wrong and every time they said, everything ok and the coolant was overflowing from the overflow tank (that while colored tank upfront in the engine bay). It worried me but since the car was working well and every morning I'd open the radiator cap to check, and the coolant level was always tops, I chose to ignore it. Only recently has the coolant stopped draining. The level of the coolant in the overflow tank is much below the marked max, but there still seems to be a healthy amount in the overflow tank itslf. So no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Congratulations on this sweet journey, rrsteer!

You've highlighted the plus and minus points very well. Yes the minor niggles are there, but then all cars will have some minus points or other.

Wishing you many many more kilometers of driving pleasures with this beautiful elephant.

(Your post time reads 31st January 2011, 00:00. Wow. Very rare to get that 00:00 I think. )
Thanks! I have grown very fond of the Safari. An ideal car for me. Will continue taking very good care of it. I need to, too, as I intend to keep it for another 4-5 years. And going by the usage it would have run 200,000 kms by then!
Old 5th March 2011, 14:55   #66
BHPian

The Safari's now at 74000 Kms

But whats not so nice:

1) The car was leaking coolant. The problem correctly diagnosed to the water pump. Took my half day and cool 3500 odd bucks to set it right

2) The left side headlight bulb went kaput

3) And I got my worst mileage ever -- 9.7 kmpl

But my companion is battle hardy and is all set to take on a 1500 km long jouney starting this Monday.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:38   #67
BHPian

The current odo reading of the Safari stands at 85,945 clicks.

Since, the last report at 74K, here is whats new with the Safari:

1) Got all 5 tyres replaced to Continental Cross Contacts. Ran the Bridgestones for 80K and they aged very well indeed. Overall Continental is a superior performing tyre but the Bridgestone was more rugged. Now I doubt the Continentals will last me even three fourth the life of the B'stones.

2) For the longest time the vehicle was pulling to the left and also on pressing the brakes. Took 2 visits to 2 separate service station to correct it marginally.
Why marginally - because there is still a slight pull to the left. Both the service stations worked on adjusting the shims. The pull is almost not apparent in slow speeds. The brake part is slightly confusing to me. I mean, why is it happening. I think its not related to alignment. The brakes have good bite. But on braking sometimes, I feel that the car first looses its direction and then comes the stopping power. At 90,000 this is going to be my priority. Will get the CVR valve checked, the front disc pads and the rear shoes.

3) There is a slight drop in fuel efficiency now. I get regularly above 10kmpl which is a drop from almost 11kmpl.

4) Overall, the SUV is a dude. Whatever the occasion, whatever the place it performs without missing a heartbeat. On a recent trip to Rohru, HP, I can't begin to tell how much I thanked being inside the Safari. The road from Shimla to Rohru is atrociously bad and were made worse due to consistent rains and thundershowers. And the fact that we were on the road for 12 hours on the road including 5 hours on such unimaginably bad roads, and yet we were fresh enough to enjoy a dinner by the bonfire that night and get up early next morning and go for a trek is a testament to the capability of the vehicle.

5) I need to make a special mention of the load gobbling capability of the vehicle too. In the picture below all the stuff apart from the tables with white cloths were carried in one go on the Safari. In comparison the Innova was a poor performer
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-18062011002.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-23042011552.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-23042011549.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-23042011555.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-23042011550.jpg  

rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 10:56   #68
BANNED

Lovely report..

Whats with all those stuff filled, you moving home in the Safari or something

Wish you many more happy miles.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 09:51   #69
BHPian

Keep her going.. 85000 Beautiful kilometers.. Congrats!
Wishing you another beautiful 85000 now! :-)
Old 22nd November 2011, 12:34   #70
BHPian

The SUV completed the 100,000 mark and currently the odo reads 100148 kms.

So how do I sum up my ownership experience with the Safari after having all these kms under the belt?

You know I hesitate to recommend the Safari to any other person. Considering the time I spend reading team-bhp, a lot of family members & friends direct those ‘what car’ questions to me. I don't remember having recommended a Safari to anybody, mostly I ask them to go buy an Innova.
But curiously if you give me 8lac rupees now, to buy a car, 95% I will end up buying a Safari again. By next year, as it is, I have to replace this car or well, buy a new ‘Big car’. And believe you me among the many options, a top contender in my mind is to do away with that small car, keep this Safari and buy a new Safari. So we have two Safari. A silver and the other, I am thinking, is going to be black! And in the process whatever I save, will mark it down as service money for the two SUVs.

The point I am trying to make is, whatever the market perception of the Safari, no matter the shortcomings of the vehicle, it continues to be the ideal car for me.

Coming back to the topic, how do I sum up the Safari’s performance? Here goes the list

What I liked?
  • The comfort. The combo of so much space, great seats and a good ride.
  • The space. At the rear, which allows so much to be carried even with 5 people comfortably on board
  • The mile munching. It goes on and on and on. Best for long distance traveling
  • The 2.2 Dicor engine. I am convinced that this is a durable, reliable engine which has decent performance, good pulling power and is quite efficient
  • The looks. Isn’t it amazing that a vehicle this old still manages to attract me and pulls me towards it every now and then, so that I leave everything behind and with loving dedication try to keep it all clean and swanky?
What I disliked?
  • Inferior fit & finish. If the exterior has the power to add to your list of girl friends, the interior has a greater power to add to the list of your break ups!
  • Driving dynamics. I find the pesky M800 more fun driving than the Safari
  • Looking at it, you would expect/assume the Safari to be solidly built like a European car, sadly its not. Far from it
  • The FAT turning radius sucks!
  • Lack of safety features
List of out of the ordinary problems faced in a 100,000 kms:
  • Perennially drifts slightly to the left. Unsolvable so far.
  • Sedimenter choked. Cost Rs 4500/- @ 45000kms
  • Coolant leak @around 74,000 kms. Water body replaced. Cost Rs3200/-
  • Both original keys broke into two pieces!!!!!
  • Overall, pretty reliable you'd say. In the league of Toyotas?
Points to note:
  • Never left in a service center for more than half a day at any point of the ownership period. No electrical or major mechanical problems so far
  • Absolutely love the paint job of the vehicle and the matching grey cladding
  • I follow reduced intervals of engine oil change and diesel filter change.
  • The vehicle, I iterate, as done in some previous posts, conspicuously has a quite cabin. No loose noises. Feels tight by Jap standards not so by European standard.
  • Do my extra bit to keep the vehicle sound.
  1. Idle it before start and before its switched off
  2. Apart from more frequent oil change, follow the service book to the T
  3. Avoid bad roads, congested roads to the extent possible
  4. Revv the standing vehicle to 3500 rpm once a month
  5. Tyre rotation, wheel balancing @ every 10,000 kms, a must for me
  6. I don’t indulge in traffic light drag racing or any other type of street or highway racing on this vehicle at all. Those are meant to be done on my Father-in-law’s cars
Attached below, the latest odo reading and the latest pic of the car taken today on our morning stroll.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-221120111010.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 VTT : 125000 kms Long Term Report-100000.jpg  

Last edited by rrsteer : 22nd November 2011 at 12:44.
rrsteer is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 12:42   #71
BHPian

The odo is at 105950kms

Slapped with a bill of Rs 33,000rs, as I took delivery of the Safari after the service at 105,000kms!

The SUV's suspension had taken a real beating. Thing changed:

1) The front suspension (an overarching word used, to mean the various parts changed relating to the front suspension)

2) The rear suspension ( again an overarching word)

3) Both front brake discs

4) Engine timing belt and the associated kit

Other activities carried out:

1) Engine oil change
2) Coolant change
3) Diesel filter change
4) Gear oil change
5) Differenetial oil change

On driving now I notice that earlier there was a pronounced wayward movement of the body shell as the Safari moved over bad roads, which has reduced now. The brakes are better now. But the story doesn't end here.

The clutch is aging (untouched, so far) and the rear drum brakes too need to be replaced. They are good for another 10k max. So I am looking at another big expense in the region of Rs 20,000 some time in the very near future.

A few questions, I want to ask others:

1) Does every car need a maintenance bill in the region of Rs 30k - 40k after it clocks about a hundred thousand kms

2) I have been changing the engine oil regularly. But now since its over 105,000kms, should I do an engine flush in the next service? Have never done it earlier

3) Any other preventive maintenance activity that I should do to further the life of the vehicle ? Like injector cleaning etc ( I have lost my Safari service booklet, so don't have a ready reference of what all activities to e performed)

Last edited by rrsteer : 9th January 2012 at 12:47.
Old 9th January 2012, 13:14   #72
BHPian

Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but do you have Extended Warranty?
Old 9th January 2012, 13:54   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

What an odo read Great!

I am currently in 96k region! Enjoying! And no extended warranty.

And if even if you have EW, isnt it only useful till 1lac kilometers?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but do you have Extended Warranty?
I had but it stands invalid. I missed the checkup @5k. But for the last 3 years I haven't required a warranty. Except for maybe when I replaced the water body. The current costs were all related to usage induced wear & tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
What an odo read Great!

I am currently in 96k region! Enjoying! And no extended warranty.

And if even if you have EW, isnt it only useful till 1lac kilometers?
I think EW extends till 4 years / 1.5 lakh kms
Old 9th January 2012, 16:09   #75
BHPian

Congratulations on crossing the 6 digit figures in your spotless Beauty. Your long term report is great too.

Your car appears ready for another 100,000 km or many more.

I readily agree with you on only one crib with Safari: Turning radius. Even to go inside a mall parking lot leaves me with a cold sweat. The tight winding tunnel inside the mall is probably not designed with Safari in mind.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote