Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th November 2009, 13:06   #271
BHPian

Just got delivery of my Ford Ikool yesterday. Didnt want to start a new thread since this is the official Ford Ikon TDCI thread. On road price was 6.62 Lacs. Just clocked 100kms. Everything went great from Metro, no surprises from them.
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 15:58   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

@athalaga, Congrats !

Which Color ? Do post some pics.

Update on my Ikon :
The car's clocked about 7800km so far. FE is typically 15 - 15.5kmpl. Have been using System-D, and it helps.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 11:46   #273
BHPian

@Condor

Color is Morrello, I will put up the pictures asap.
athalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 01:04   #274
BHPian

Such a great review man, but low profile tyres will kill the ride on bad strips right??
drnibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 20:47   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 1 year up : 3rd Service @ 9100 km

The Ikon turns one tomorrow. It's been a comfortable ride, mostly in the city. The exceptions being two drives to Kolar & one to Mysore.

3rd service was done last week at Lathangi. Routine stuff - Oil & Oil filter changed. Bill came out to 2.4k

Oil 5W30 : 3.8L
Oil Filter :

Service charges : 800

Consumables : 195
Wash Fluid Pouch : 49.

Wonder what was so special about this that they have to charge 49 for this and also not include in the consumables charge. Again, I really dont understand why should the consumables come up to Rs. 195 !

The car did suffer a nick on the left corner of the front bumper. Something I have seen other cars also suffer when at Lathangi. They took care of it, but ended up getting the car after 2 additional days.

---------------------

@drnibu : Thank you !.I have not really felt any decrease in ride comfort. But I really like the feel of the wider tyres - compared to what the stock 175's feel like. It's much better.

Last edited by condor : 28th December 2009 at 20:48.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:11   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Default DIY Rear Speaker Base

A pair 6x9 coax speaker near the rear wind-shield. Nothing special ? Well, look again.

Name:  01 Teaser3.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  15.6 KB

It’s kind of easy to miss. But here’s something to help you notice that something special in the above pic.

Name:  02Spacer Mail4loys.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  03 Spacer2 Mail4Loys.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  20.5 KB
(Thanks to @Mail4loys for these pic from his gallery)

Yes, this is the most common approach to mounting the rear speakers is using the 1” thick spacer rings.

But I was not convinced with that. Or with what was available in the market. A journey that started then is now complete. And how !

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-final3.jpg

It’s been a little more than a year since the Ikon came home. After the initial set of accessories like the alloys, & seat-covers and some simple DIY's like the mats and mud-flaps, there was the big DIY for the remote boot opening :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...se-set-up.html

But that was just the beginning. And now here’s another one – not the ICE itself. The base for the rear coax speakers.

For those of you who are familiar with the area below Ikon’s rear windshield where the rear speakers are mounted, you would have noticed two things : the cut-out in the body shell is not big enough to accommodate the 6x9 speakers. Also, this spot does not have any facility to keep even simple things like a tissue box. A tissue box kept there near the speakers will slide down that slope and fall down to the rear seat since there is nothing to hold it back in place near the speakers.

But not any more. A design that took sometime to evolve, and implement. Elegant, yet functional. Yes, it's a complete DIY.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-final1a.jpg

The ICE was installed at Satya’s place (BlueRaven316) early last year. The front components were an easy setup, but the rear was where I was not happy with what was available. The options available were to use either the 1” spacers over the OE Base, or use a simple platform that was available through his supplier.

The simpler platform that was available in the accessories shops :

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-05a-available.jpg

I had two reservations with this above setup – the fit & finish, and – that design caused a further reduction in rear-ward visibility, than already there inherent in the car. (The Ikon has a taller boot compared to other cars, which reduces the visibility towards the rear a little more than seen on other cars.)

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-14-plane-base.jpg

Another option was to cut the body shell a little to accommodate the 6x9 coaxials. I didn’t want to do that. I’m averse to cutting metal / modifying a car even for something as simple as this. Even though it would have made the job a lot easier.

Cut-out in sheet metal smaller than what the 6x9 co-axials need :

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-cutout-vs-speaker-mismatch.jpg

For the better part of one year since the ICE was installed, I ran the car like this : Two spacer rings, with a 3mm MDF board for base.

Name:  04B My Temp Setup.jpg
Views: 1939
Size:  24.0 KB

But not any more. I finally completed this DIY last week. It took a tonne of patience to get things right. And lot of time too, trying to figure out the best way for each piece of this creation.

It would not have been possible without help from friends :

* Benny - as usual, helping me out with PS and with his feedback as I tried out one thing after another.

* Satya (BlueRaven316) - the journey started at his place with the ICE, and also was completed at his place. Raw materials too, and his support while I did all this crazy stuff.

* SajanDS - some stuff that he helped me out with turned out very useful in completing this..

* My driver, Janardhan - helping me in the making.

But last sunday as I drove back home from Satya's place after completing final steps of fixing this in to the car, I could not but help turn around and look at the lovely way this has turned out :

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-final2.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-30-ridge.jpg
Old 20th February 2010, 03:20   #277
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic DIY.

I love it when someone takes on a design challenge and solves it this well. Kudos, I really appreciate the detailed explanation of the DIY as well
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 21:46   #278
BHPian

That was a fantastic DIY!. Your ideas are neat and good. When i have time and money will change my setup based on your idea!! Keep up the good work. So how much did it costed you?

Last edited by mail4loys : 20th February 2010 at 21:50.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:19   #279
BHPian

Nice one condor. I would like to do this sometime as I have round speakers presently due to space limitations, and I would like to go for the ovals very soon as my hunger for more watts and quality has gone up north again !
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 13:26   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, thank you !

@Loys, the materials cost me a fraction of the effort it took to complete it.
The outcome of that setup really masks the effort that went into it.

Some mdf boards, fevicol, the fabric, the foam lining, m-seal, some nuts & Bolts. So excluding the time & tools, it would be approx 700-800 worth of stuff.
Old 24th February 2010, 22:27   #281
BHPian

wow it looks uber cool. Great DIY Condor.
hsejars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 09:48   #282
BHPian

Default Ford wants to check Ikon's AC

Thats a great DIY.

Did you guys get a call from your dealer requesting to give your IKON (mine is 2009 model) for checking the AC. Apprently Ford has issued a note to dealers to check some of the ikons for proper working of AC. The service center guy who called was not giving the complete details inspite of asking thrice ("we want to just check if the AC is working fine sir"). I am going tomorrow.

Did any of you guys get a call from the dealer? I will get details tomorrow and post here.

Thiyags
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 10:17   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

@Thiyags, thank you for both - the compliments and the heads-up about the A/c.

No calls from the dealer regarding the A/c. Pls let us know if you get any further details.

One small problem that has come up is that the right wiper is not working. Seems dislodged inside, so it wont turn. Left side wiper is fine.

Meanwhile, Lathangi seems to have seen an outflow of it's staff. Atleast 2 SA's I know have moved out.

@hsejars, thank you. Feels good when DIY's are appreciated like that.

Last edited by condor : 7th March 2010 at 10:19.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:29   #284
Team-BHP Support

Parwath, great job with the rear parcel shelf DIY. I couldnt believe my eyes when i saw the final outcome.

The best part was the covering material which really matched the interiors. Great job, once again.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:19   #285
BHPian

So now that Bharat Stage IV norms are settling in from April 1st, does anyone know when we can expect a BSIV version of the ikon duratorq?
liquidmetal99 is offline   Reply With Quote