Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 21st July 2010, 18:23   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Such useful stuff and they leave out all this :(

I was expecting the reading lamps - the one with a long adjustable stem.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:25   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Such useful stuff and they leave out all this :(

I was expecting the reading lamps - the one with a long adjustable stem.
I don't know much about costing in an automobile production unit, but as a layman I believe Ford has erred in leaving out these features. They are well-designed, well made, and are very useful.
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:15   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

@Damu, true. And I believe they can do things in a more logical way. And make their products cheaper, yet good. I have already mentioned the costs of the lamps by Ford & Tata. Another example is the plastic cover for the 12v power socket. Do you know it's made in FRANCE !! Why ?!!
Old 31st July 2010, 08:10   #334
BHPian

Quote:
@Damu, true. And I believe they can do things in a more logical way. And make their products cheaper, yet good. I have already mentioned the costs of the lamps by Ford & Tata. Another example is the plastic cover for the 12v power socket. Do you know it's made in FRANCE !! Why ?!!
Condor, late response, got carried away by an EVENT...

I checked the 12v cover of my Ikon, and there is something imprinted on it, but it was too small too read. Your point is right. I have seen over the years I've owned the Ikon that many Ikon-specific parts were imported. I can understand these Ikon 1.6-specific parts being imported, but the 12v cover which is standard across all brands is a mystery! There is one possibility though, it could be cheaper than the locally made part. Not an impossibility...

BTW, the event mentioned above is the arrival of the 2nd Ford into our family - a Fiesta 1.6Sport. Took delivery on 22nd July.

My nearly 6 1/2 year experience with the Ikon has been overall so positive, that when the time came for an upgrade I didn't look anywhere except Ford!

BTW, some points of interest - the Fiesta S also doesn't have a lighter, it's just a power socket. It has the same set of cabin lights as (my) Ikon, but my Ikon's cabin lights' design and finish are definitely better (imported, I guess!).
Damu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 18:40   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Steering wheel gets a touch of luxury

The Ikon's steering wheel comes bare. No cover. For most times it doesnt cause any problems, but occasionally I found it to slip -due to lack of grip when hands were extra dry.

Based on Satya's recommendation, went to Ovion for a OE style leather steering wheel wrap. The result is :

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-steeringwrap.jpg

Cost : 1500/-
Time : approx 2 hours.

The color matches quite well, and will not be getting the center pad covered. The stitching is very neat, and worksman ship looks good.

Btw, Ovion was where I got my art leather seat covers too.

The steering wheel feels so good to touch now. Getting hooked
Old 7th September 2010, 19:24   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The color matches quite well, and will not be getting the center pad covered. The stitching is very neat, and worksman ship looks good.
Seriously good workmanship by the ovion guys. They have matched the colors quite well and looks close to the original. And better to leave the center pad as is.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:30   #337
Team-BHP Support

So they had to remove the steering wheel for this right?

That's my concern as well. Removing the wheel especially with the airbags now. Not sure how safe it is.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 19:50   #338
Team-BHP Support

The quality of work looks really good, for the steering wheel cover. Where is the Ovion outlet located?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 20:02   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhinav, thanks. Had initially thought of getting the center cap done, but the guy there suggested not to, to maintain continuity in the interior colors. It was a good suggestion, esp when combined with the color matching.

@Viddy, yes the steering wheel has to be removed to allow them to work. Note the stitches - cant be done if s/w is still mounted. He seems familiar with the requirements for airbag enabled steering wheels. He mentioned that if airbags are there, then they would not touch the center part, but will then only work on the wheel.

@Benny, right behind Pallavi (opp Kanteerava).
Go past Pallavi, turn left immediately before the temple there. Go to the dead-end and left again. 25 meters on your left. Their workshop is two cross roads further down.
Old 7th September 2010, 20:17   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
So they had to remove the steering wheel for this right?

That's my concern as well. Removing the wheel especially with the airbags now. Not sure how safe it is.
viddy yes they do have to remove it,I saw them do up an i20 when I was there last at Ovion. They did it without much of a fuss and never removed the center mount of the steering wheel.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th September 2010 at 20:24.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 18:58   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

FE has been on the lower side of late .. last reading was 13kmpl. While the daily runs are very short, 13 is still on the lower side. I was suspecting the wider tyres to be causing the problem. But there is something else about the tyres that is more likely to be the cause - air pressure. I was running at 30 psi in all tyres. But the recommended levels on stock tyres (175/70-R13) are 32 / 32 (at minimum load) and 36/40 for full load. Now since I have wider tyres, I need to be atleast at 32, though a better level would be 33-34. So now trying it out. Ride is less soft than earlier, but no problems atall.

I know people generally say that when you go for wider tyres, you need to reduce the air pressure. But I feel logically it should increase. Else the contact patch becomes much more than with the stock tyres - thus increasing friction and hence reducing FE.
Old 10th September 2010, 15:15   #342
BHPian

OK ! Here we go on my IKON TDCi and FORD ... There was a huge rumbling noise around 1-2K RPM after my 20K service and Tirupathi trip, took it to MPL to check the Bearings, bearings were fine but discovered uneven tyre wear on the front left. The tyre had over inflation only in the centre which was causing the noise. changed to the spare and the noise disappeared. will upload pictures soon.Tyres are OE and has always maintained 30 PS with ocassional wheel alignment done.

The FORD guys have no clue on the reason for this kind of wear. they have offered to check the Suspension for any centre stem shake. LONG week ahead.

Anyone faced similair issues ?

Last edited by 2theMax : 10th September 2010 at 15:16.
2theMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:43   #343

Guys, need some assistance in identifying, if any, a problem on the AC of my ten month old Ikon TDCI. The Air Con has been working wonderfully all this while both on start stop city trips as well as long drives. Recently whilst driving down from Kolkata to Vizag on permanent posting, noticed a peculiar thing about the AC. After about 400 kms of continuous driving, when I wanted to regulate the temp and set it a tad warmer, the blowers started throwing in first warm and then really hot air. This went on for almost 15 minutes before I finally pulled up and shut off the engine. Took about an hour's break and then started off again. Thankfully the AC seemed to work normally. This was about 20 days back and since then haven't used the car much. However, had the similar experience today when I decided to give the sysytem a test. Now, the dammned thing starts blowing hot air even if I touch the Temp knob and move it a wee bit anywhere from the max cool position. Someone throw some light on this please.
Aparnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:10   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ikon finally got to stretch it's legs. Did a 1300 km trip to Karwar last week, and can feel nothing but happy for having got this baby. Those of you who have the TDCi Ikon and have done long trips will know what I'm talking about.

Left BLR on wednesday morning at about 8, and 11 hours & 6 stops later, we were at Karwar. A distance of about 600 km. Route taken was NH4, NH63, & NH17 going through Davangere, Hubli, Yellapur & to Karwar. The car happily touched speeds of upto 150 / 160 (indicated), though most driving on NH4 was between 120 & 140. FE did dip because of this, but the car never felt out of control. FE during the on-ward journey was about 17 kmpl.

The boot was a big plus - completely loaded from the start. But as if that was not enough, ended up picking up a wet grinder on the way. Re-arranged stuff, moved a couple of things to the cabin, and we were still set.

The return was pretty much the same route, but with some small excursions off the NH. Did much better FE, touching about 20 kmpl.

Fuel used was a mix of IOC, Reliance, & MRPL.

One confirmation was about the head-lights. Works well for most part, after adjusting the levelling. But in rain, had a problem - I think more due the conditions than the stock 55/60W. Closer to BLR on NH4, had a tough time in the rain with the an incessant stream of trucks in the opp direction using their high-beams.

Sometime during the onward journey, the engine noise seems to have reduced. Earlier experience was a high level of noise beyond 110/120 kmph. But not now. Seems much better.

----
@Aparnesh, that will be because of the a/c divertor valve. It is a known problem with Ikons, and you should be able to get a warranty replacement. Check post 306 in this thread & a couple of posts before that for the same problem on my Ikon.

Last edited by condor : 3rd October 2010 at 22:12.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:19   #345
Team-BHP Support

@Aparnesh - in case your car is not in warranty, any roadside mechanic worth his salt will solve the issue in a 100 bucks.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote