Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th December 2010, 13:39   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
.. the plastic around the metal broke on one side. .. Meanwhile, they tried fixing it with feviquick and double side tapes, but it just couldn't hold the light in place.
The part is flimsy - it is quite easy to fit in or take out. Yet, in 2-3 times of taking it out & putting it in, it broke. I intend to re-inforce the new one (when I get it) before using it.

One other thing I forgot to add to my update :
1. the driver door pad - was not cleaned well. Will have to do it myself now.
2. Good they did not use any dashboard polish. But then they did not even clean the dashboard .
They did vacuum the carpets, though.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 18:32   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Instant Feedback ?

Ford Chennai calls up for a feedback on the service - just one day after servicing. Wonder if they are expecting an instant feedback, without giving any time to check the vehicle after servicing.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:34   #378
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(

Parwath, despite Lathangi being close by to your place, maybe its time you visited Metro for service. You have been having not-so-good experiences with Lathangi more than once now.

I was right about Lathangi right from the start, they are overcrowded and short of staff and space.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:40   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Instant Feedback ?

@Benny, I will to do something now. Or may be structure the service in a way that I ask for individual tasks (like Oil change only) - instead of paying almost 1k for a general check-up + oil change + etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ford Chennai calls up for a feedback on the service
No, it was not for feedback on servicing. They want my road-side assistance renewal .

Caller did not even have sufficient details of the program, apart from telling me that it costs 1100/- for one year, and free assistance if car breaks down within 50km from nearest Ford A.S.S. Typical services provided are help if locked out of the car, fuel repalcement, small repairs & free towing to nearest A.S.S.

Over 50km, then extra charges. How much extra ? Well, he did not know.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:20   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Default BMC Air Filter

Continuing the topic of stock replacement filters, as mentioned on the previous page, in post #364:

Got the BMC today, and here is how it looks :

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-packing.jpg

A comparison between the OE & the BMC:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-comparo.jpg

A close-up of the fabric:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-closeup.jpg

Side-views:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-sideview1.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-sideview2.jpg

Mounted in the stock filter box:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-mounted.jpg

Not got to check how does the car perform with this filter.

One thing I observed in the OE /stock filter, is the gaps at the edge of these folds. (Ref the lines marked in red). This part of the filter is on the un-filtered side, and I suspect that the OE filter allows un-filtered air into the engine - atleast some dust is going in.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-sideview1a.jpg

Compared to that, the BMC is air-tight, so to speak.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:36   #381
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support :

Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. It is considered as Spamming. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Mpower : 23rd January 2011 at 09:57.
Naparajito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:09   #382
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic Parwath. Can't wait for this.

Looking forward to seeing what difference you feel on the drive.

The OE filter on the side is closed, just looks like there's a gap but it's just a fold. It's literally like cardboard, wonder how any air gets in at all.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 21:42   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMC Air Filter

Looks good. I take it the cleaning procedure is similar to KnN. Looks similar too.

Quote:
One thing I observed in the OE /stock filter, is the gaps at the edge of these folds. (Ref the lines marked in red). This part of the filter is on the un-filtered side, and I suspect that the OE filter allows un-filtered air into the engine - atleast some dust is going in.
Cant be Condor. That would be something that causes serious engine damage.

If you are throwing it off anyway, cut the rubber out and unfold the paper to verfiy it.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 22:09   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Flaps are sealed ..

@Viddy & @Mpower, you guys are right. I had checked the filter soon after posting, trying to pass a pin thru that fold. It does not go through.

The filter looks to be making a difference. Engine feels freer. Will update again next week, after verification. This is making me think of going for a tweak on the Sumo.

Viddy, the K&N and this look so similar - why should this perform better ?
Old 26th January 2011, 22:28   #385
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Flaps are sealed ..

Quote:
Viddy, the K&N and this look so similar - why should this perform better ?
2 possibilities,

1. BMC oil maybe different compared to K&N.
2. The cotton density the weaving maybe tighter in the BMC than K&N.

Material wise both are cotton filtration in wire mesh.

By the way Altis is getting K&N next week. We can keep both filters side by side and see the difference.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 00:23   #386
BHPian

Now you have got me thinking Fiesta could do with some help!
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 10:35   #387
Team-BHP Support

Nice! How has the car been with the new filter installed?
Considering there was no perceptible turbo lag earlier, and also a PW ratio lesser than the Fiesta, the TDCi Ikon should feel a lot more sprightly now.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 18:25   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Default An extended week ..

Almost 2000 km .. and all I can say is - it's a beauty.

Had to make a rushed trip last week to Chennai for a meeting, and without reservations the one option was to drive down. Starte early monday morning at about 5.15 am, and made it to Egmore by 11.30. Returned on thursday morning.

But the one I was looking forward to was the drive to my grand parents' place in Belgaum dist. Started Saturday morning, and did the 550 odd km by night. Total driving time was 9 hours approximately. Another 250 km of local running between towns, and headed back to BLR today morning. 7 hours to cover the 450 km including in-city driving.

A few pics from the Belgaum trip:

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonmmdp1.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikontlr4.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikontlr1.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikontlr3.jpg

Highway behaviour:
Typical speeds (for most of the highway sections) : 120kmph. The car just cruised at these speeds. The composed behaviour was slightly affected only in the presence of some crosswinds and when at 130. Else, never a false move by the car. Got to love this baby.

FE:
FE - Chennai trip: 21.5 kmpl
FE - Belgaum trip: approx 19 kmpl.

Reason for difference in FE:
The Chennai trip was with the BMC filter. The Belgaum trip was with the stock filter- and the car was loaded to the brim, so much that the rear suspensions were compressed 2.5 inches.

The car was actually over-loaded. Note the first pic here, and see the normal gap between wheel and the wheel arch (see part above wheel). That gap was all used up. The problem was seen when the wheel/tyre began to scrape the wheel arch during the bouncing we see when we go on an undulation. The edge of the rear tyres shows the damage.

I also noticed a slight deformation of the wheel arch (at the same area on both rear wheels), but the tyre does not seem to have touched this section at all. To check it further, I have drawn lines in the pics, but the here also it looks like there should not have been any contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-rearwheelscrape1.jpg  

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-rearwheelscrape2.jpg  

Old 10th February 2011, 15:26   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Default BMC filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Nice! How has the car been with the new filter installed?
The filter shows a difference. The car feels better to drive in city traffic. And if you tap the acclerator when doing a steady speed, the power surge brings a smile too.

I have not been able to do any specific measurements to quantify the performance in the lower gears & speeds / and in city traffic. But during last week's drive to Chennai, I did notice an improvement in the FE. Typical speeds were 110-120, and once in a way a little higher than that. I was expecting about 20 kmpl (like I have got on similar drives with the OE filter), but found that I got 21.5 kmpl. If this is the case, then the 3.2k spent is definitely worth it.

I am waiting for the feedback from another car with the same filter .. will keep you all posted.

The experience is definitely nudging me towards doing something similar on the Sumo.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:32   #390
Senior - BHPian

is cosworth filter good for swift?

I ve heard of k&n but no idea on cosworth
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote