Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 5th July 2011, 22:44   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Ovion's leather steering wheel cover did not hold well.

Less than 10 months ago in September 2010, I had got a leather steering wheel grip done at Ovion. The price was 1500/-, almost twice what I had paid for the steering wheel cover for the Sumo (800/-), which had been installed a month later in Oct 2010.

Had expected to have got something relative to what I had paid for, but that has not been the case. The one in the Sumo has held much better than what Ovion provided.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-steeringcoverwearout.jpg
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 21:39   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Couple of pics

Couple of pics taken today in an open area near Nelamangala. Camera: SE-C905. Cropped & auto-adjusted

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonramkyestt09jul20111.jpg

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonramkyestt09jul20112.jpg
Old 9th July 2011, 21:43   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(

Very very naish. Lovely pics for a phone cam too - though of course your framing is what makes it click literally!

But seriously - with that kind of mileage,don't you wish you bought a FTD petrol?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 22:27   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(

@Phamilyman, thank you !

That mileage/running is actually because of ending up with having to use two vehicles. Else, my average running since early last year has been about 1500 km a month.

Then again, I have got so used to diesels, that if I have to go for another vehicle, I would consider a diesel first.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:12   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Default @31 months / 23400. Wiper motors conk out.

@31 months / 23400. Wiper motors conk out.

Had seen an occasional hesitation/pause in the sweep recently, but on Tuesday eveinng as I was driving back from office, the wipers stopped. Switch on/off, changing the speeds etc - nothing helped. Used to resume after a random interval Happend 3 times, after which I just stopped using the wiper even though it was raining, and traffic was what it would be at 8 pm - rush hour !

Found that water flowing off the windshield actually gave a better view than when the drops fell after a sweep.

Motors replaced under extended warranty on Thursday at Lathangi.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:19   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Update: 33 mo/ 23700 km

Less than 24k & another flat tyre. I dont think I will go for A-drives again.

Car is otherwise fine. A/c sometimes shows low/no cooling (after some use). May not be divertor valve since there is no hot air when this problem happens.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:33   #412
BHPian

Sorry to hear about that.
Quote:
A/c sometimes shows low/no cooling
Is this something to do with the air cleaner? Once the filter was replaced when i complained about less cooling .It was ok after that. 240 bucks i think.

I have done 3000 kms i last 7 months!!!! Now the odo stands as 261xx. Edit : Not me my car, I used to do more than that in a month
Now a days steerts are filled with vehicle so much so that it takes me 1 hr to commute to office in car + toll. My pulsar takes half an hour to 40 mins to do same distance .Also less risking of scratch and dents.So using my bike on a daily basis.

Last edited by bullboy : 20th September 2011 at 14:36.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 15:05   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

@Bullboy, the a/c will not have any direct connection to the engine's air filter. The air filter is also quite new, so I know it is not a problem there.

Problem is like this:
Initially cooling is fine
After sometime, cooling drops & air flow also reduces.
If I increase fan speed (for airflow), it still does not provide the same cooling at it does initially.
Old 20th September 2011, 15:44   #414
BHPian

There is an air filter that sits under the wiper joints below front windscreen through which fresh air is pulled in. Usually this gets clogged when car is parked under a tree.
But i presume your issue is in re circulation mode.
May be you need to check up wit ASC.
bullboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 09:01   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 3 years / 26k - Routine service, but denied option of 4th year Extended Wty

The Ikon completed 3 years last week, and the odo is now at 26k.

The company lease is now over, and I am submitting the transfer papers to the RTO. Going through AASI.

Had a routine service. Only issue I was facing was air flow from the a/c. Was resolved by replacing the filter. (Bullboy was correct - though I still dont understand why, since I have always used the re-circulation mode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
There is an air filter that sits under the wiper joints below front windscreen through which fresh air is pulled in. Usually this gets clogged when car is parked under a tree.
But i presume your issue is in re circulation mode.
Denied Option of 4th year of Extended Warranty

The biggest grouse I had this time is being denied extneding the extended warranty. I had taken 1 yr extended Warranty when I had purchased the vehicle. At that time, the dealer had said that the extended warranty can be extened for the 4th year at any time before the warranty expires. I had re-checked this with the service manager at Lathangi during my prev service, and he had confirmed this. So when I went for servicing, I asked them to give me extended warranty for another year, but they now say that it is not available for the Ikon diesel. (Option is available only for the Fiesta diesel).

Well, if the base warranty was good for 100k km, then I hope I wont have much problems atleast for the next few years - since my running is just 26% of the base warranty.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:06   #416
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 26400 km

Pic taken earlier today, on Kanakapura Road.
Camera: Sony Ericsson C-905

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikonnettigere1.jpg

and a Couple of accessories (from UK):

1. A digital clock. China made, runs on 2 button cells, and has a back-light on demand. Only problem is mounting. The clip does not hold the clock securely to the a/c duct fins. The blue back-lighting is good, though the pic here does not convey the same.

Approx cost: Rs 600/-

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-timetube.jpg

2. A USB MP3 player + FM transmitter. Amazon.co.uk, for GBP8.49.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-usbmp3.jpg
Old 24th January 2012, 11:37   #417
BHPian

Default Re: 3 years / 26k - Routine service, but denied option of 4th year Extended Wty

Hi.

Just went through your thread, the whole of it.

Its late but still, congratulations on your ikon.

You have maintained it pretty good.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 19:09   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

After 43 months of coming home, the Ikon completed 33333 km on Wednesday, 25-July-2012.

Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-ikon33333.jpg

Yet to complete the work on sound damping - have to get the dash opened up, but regular usage & not getting the right help has delayed it. I am also searching for some sound proofing material & hope to get this soon.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th November 2012 at 11:51. Reason: Correction as per reported post.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:53   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

And the next one month saw the Ikon clock another 2k .. the odo is now at 35507 km. Some running in the city, and then a 4 day trip to Srisailam. The travelogue is here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...srisailam.html (4 day trip from Bangalore to Srisailam)

1200 km, with a FE of 20.1 kmpl. This included sufficient amount of slow driving due to bad roads, some ghat sections, and some forest roads. Less than half on NH-44.

The Ikon went for a well deserved service today. Regular oil change & oil filter changes, and the bill was at Rs. 3347.

The SA mentioned that the ball joint -tie road combo was weak due to wear & tear, and that I need to replace it. Estimate - 9k including labor. Got to get this checked out. Wonder if it is normal life of these parts, or if I can stretch it a little more.
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:33   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Hella's. 500FF

3 Years, 10 months & 36500 on the odo. Got a set of Hella 500FF's mounted with a custom bracket. This is a 2 piece bracket, where one part remians fixed inside, while the outer part with the lamps can be dismantled when not required.

Praveen, preparing the wires with plastic wrap:
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-hellaplastictapewrap.jpg

Front View, with the lamps mounted:
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-hellafrontview.jpg

A closer view. The front half of the bracket, with the mounted lamps, can be removed when not required.:
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-hellacloserview.jpg

Close view, with lamps on:
Name:  HellaEnLightenment1a.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  61.1 KB Name:  HellaEnLightenment2a.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  53.8 KB

And Hell-a difference:
Duratorq-in' with Josh: Ford Ikon TDCi * 4 years 7 months/43,941 km & Letting Go :(-hellahellalowbeam.jpg

A comparison: Stock Low-Beam on left, and on the right with the Hella's:
Name:  HellaStockLowBeam1.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  18.1 KB Name:  HellaHellaLowBeam1a.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  20.8 KB

The lighting is now much better. Need to adjust the focus a little more.

But noticed that there are vibrations when going through rough patches. Another thing I wanted to do is use a Ford OE Fog lamp switch to control the Hella's. I even picked up one from Ford @ 700 Rs, but could not use it - partly because of time constraints, but more importantly because of not having the wiring details for this switch. The switch has about 5 pins at the back.

The connections are not connected to the ignition circuit, and hence can be switched on even if the car is not running. I did think of controlling the circuit through the car electricals, but decided to keep it separate from the rest of the electricals.

Praveen did his usual neat job for me, neatly routing the wires and securely mounting the relay. No holes drilled, even to route the wires. Thanks to him, again

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2012 at 11:28. Reason: As requested
condor is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote