Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th December 2008, 10:59   #16
BHPian

Mods - can u update the title to 40k report ??

Completed 40k kms after almost 5 years of ownership - the car was hardly driven 1000kms for 2 years while i was out of country. here's the update :

1. Interiors - Some minor rattles have developed (in the front passenger seat & while opening/closing the rear doors) - was thinking of getting some oiling done during the next service
2. Electronics - No problems so far with either the front or the rear lights, the electronic rear view mirror adjustments or otherwise. Had some minor wiring issues in the headlight assembly - normal cleaning took care of it. the stock OEM rear speakers have aged & have started rattling at slightly higher volumes. Battery has been replaced & the new battery is about a year old now. The stock cassette music system was replaced with a Sony mp3 player -working fine
3. Fuel Efficiency - easily get 11-12 km/ltr with AC on 50% of the time in city driving. Have driven with 5 people + luggage in the boot with AC on various highway drives -get around 14-15km/ltr.
4. Service - Now getting the service done at Samyak/Elegant , Patparganj -no problem so far - just the regular servicing with no issues
5. Problems - nothing major to worry about - sometimes faced problems of the engine revving at high rpms during idling - but my guess is that since the car was driven just 1000kms from 2006-2008 while I was away in USA - it might be due to that - now that i drive it regularly - this problem no longer occurs -
6. Tyres - the current stock Bridgestones (175/65/R15) - continue to have good tread - however I plan to replace them with 185/65/R15 Bridgestones - after the car completes 50k km
7. Overall Performance - Gets a full thumbs up from me. Overall good package - bought this car for Rs.5.1 lakh in 2004 Feb - I think from a VFM angle - i cant expect more - the car still continues to run reliably with no issues - the 1.6 engine is more than enough to meet my requirements of city & highway driving.

I plan to continue with this car for the next 2-3 years atleast - need some suggestions to the things i should be taking care of /changing during the next servicing
- Brake pads ( Samyak informed me that they would be changed during the 45k servicing)
- suspension, alternator, timing belt , engine, transmission - need some suggestions to things i should get checked/changed - should I be proactive about these things or wait till Samyak informs me accordingly. Also should I try out the Bosch Service Center in Delhi or continue with Samyak ?
- plan to change the rear speakers ( i guess the 5.25 inch) - dont want any cutting/change - will probably look at JBL - i am fine with the front speakers for now.

Overall I am very satisfied Fiat owner !
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Default another siena at pune

I too drive a siena (Sept 99, 1.2 petrol). I have a problem with the BRAKES - not very efficient - any sugesstions or guidence.

Have changed the wheel cylinders (rear wheels) but to not much improvement.

Please help.

Soumo Chatterjee
Cell - 9970 411311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
Hey paharino1,

Nice report. Pics would help. how much did this vehicle cost on road. What tyres are you running on? Any problems with braking. How is the reliabilty. No issues i hope with the service.

Cheers.
fast lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 19:56   #18
BHPian

Default Re: 10000 km report - Fiat Siena 1.6 ELX (Royal Gold)

Hello Everyone
My trusted old fiat has completed 94500 kms recently - It's that point when I need to take a decision on whether to continue with the car for the next 2-3 yrs or buy a new one.
Details below of the major parts which have been changed (only part cost included)
Havent included regular oil filter, spark plug & other minor consummables cost during regular service
In addition ,its on its 3rd battery in the 9th year of ownership.
Part Cost Kms at which changed
shock absorber front 3900 43429
brake pad set 1350 43429
timing belt & belt stretcher 3000 51417
voltage regulator & rectifier 5000 51417
4 tyres -bridgestone tubeless 5000 55000
coil 3500 67019
spark plug & ignition coil 600 67019
wiper motor 4000 71000
brake pad set 1500 89000
spark plug 800 89000
lower arm assembly front 5000 89000
front wheel bearing set 1400 89000

While the car is running fine currently - there are few part changes I am anticipating ahead -
- Rear Suspension
- Clutch Plates
- Front Radiator Fan ( Has started making a minor kirr-kirr sound - only when I shut off the engine & the fan starts shutting down towards the end)
- Another set of tyres in the next 5k kms

Do you guys think it is time to let go - or push the envelope for another 2-3 yrs / 20-30k kms ?
I think I should be fine with a total maintainance cost of around Rs. 20-25k/annum for the next 2-3 yrs.
But knowing the escalation in Fiat Spare part costs & the above anticipated changes - do u folks think that the costs would be much higher ? & it makes more sense to sell off the car ?

Last edited by paharino1 : 31st May 2012 at 20:08. Reason: inadvertantly pressed enter
Old 1st June 2012, 15:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
Do you guys think it is time to let go - or push the envelope for another 2-3 yrs / 20-30k kms ?
Glad to read that your Siena is serving you well.

Wanted to know, if you have found out about the resale value of it? IMO, it will not fetch you more than 1.5 Lakhs(please do correct me , if I am wrong). As it is , your car is already in the 9th year of ownership.

Even if you use your car for another 2-3 years, the resale value may just come down to around 1lakhs but then there would be maintenance expenses.
I think the tradeoff probably is equal. You will have to decide if you are willing to keep the car or sell it.

Whatever it is , wish you all the best.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 15:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

1.5 lakhs for a 9 year old Sienna is expecting a way too much. No more than about 50K-75K considering the age and the fuel costs plus the brand image. Its better to keep it if its giving you good service.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:20   #21
BHPian

The current IDV as per the insurance is ~ 98k. I dont think I would get anything more than this.
Even I am tempted to continue with it - but the unknown is the cost of spares & other problems which may come up as it ages more
Old 12th July 2012, 22:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Im very happy to see an ownership report on a Fiat Siena.Its a good quality car in my opinion.However,the Brand value has come down and the recent market prices are very low for this car.Added vows to the fact that spares are rare and servicing is a pain.
@Paharino..Where do you get your Siena serviced now,since Anuroop has closed down? When i owned my Palio,I used to go to Tata service centre in Sanath Nagar and they messed up my Palio.Now my Uno goes to a private mechanic.I was told that few Anuroop ex-employees stared a Fiat Service centre in Tarnaka-Digmani Fiat Service Centre.Have you been there? Please check my PM.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:34   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
The current IDV as per the insurance is ~ 98k. I dont think I would get anything more than this.
Even I am tempted to continue with it - but the unknown is the cost of spares & other problems which may come up as it ages more
The prices of petrol cars have bottomed out badly and since FIAT is already a depreciating master the less said the better.

I was planning to sell my 2002 Siena 1.6ELX as it was sparingly used but the second hand market had tanked and did not find any takers. My mechanic friend from PalioUsersGroup pointed out that no one interested in petrol cars now.

Have currently put plan on hold.

P.S: However, whenever i take her out for a spin on weekends, it brings a huge smile.
Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 13:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

How much can i offer for a 2001 Siena 1.2 ELX done only 30000km and in pristine condition? Its too tempting when i look at it.
Old 13th July 2012, 14:01   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I wonder how do people get the above mentioned fuel efficiency. Ive got a Palio 1.2 ELX, done 28k kms. With an extremely light foot, no ac, no acceleration when moving from 1st to 2nd at times, 5th gear at 45, etc. Ive managed to get around 10 kmpl in Mumbai city.

I did not pursue the 1.6 for the same reason.

Talking about Fiat resale prices. I recently met someone who sold his 35k run 1.6 GTX for Rs. 18K.

Please share your tips, would be more than happy.
kavesh55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 14:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

18K for a 1.6 GTX,thats really bad.Palio 1.6 GTX was a great car,but mileage was really bad.