Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 1st May 2009, 19:20   #241
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
In comparison innova has small service intervals. Every 5k kms or 6 months.
Just to maintain the warranty of 3 years, the car would visit the service centre a minimum of 6 years Money assured for service centres.

Same for my City too, and I get an oil change too. The Innova oil change was once every 10000kms.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 14:49   #242
Senior - BHPian

I too purchased a Mahindra Xylo E 6 last Friday, A Maroon one same colour as Vinod Rathore.

Earlier I had test driven the new Scorpio M Hawk and Innova besides the Xylo.

We narrowed down to a traveller instead of buying more SUVs , with a Bolero, Scorpio, Pajero and CJ3B already in the Garage.

The Choice was between Innova GX and Xylo E6 now.

I liked the Innova more. Everything about it was more refined and trustworthy, a Toyota is a Toyota and they sponsor my off road events in Dubai, I have launched the Fj Cruiser and Landcruiser 200 for them. I Drive a Prado Offroad and Landcruiser VXR in Dubai City, my wife has a Toyota Yaris. There was an obvious tilt towards the Innova. The controls, switches, Music system, seats the showroom all felt so much like my Landcruiser, but the final decision came from my elder brother Kaiser. It was the price. 8 Lakhs for the Xylo versus ten plus for the Innova. We paid in cash and bought a Xylo.

Driving experience.

Kaiser was busy with his Congress party politicians so I went to take the delivery. The Xylo is registered in my name so it was me who had to go to Sterling Motors, Gurgaon.

They were extremely courteous.

As I drive off after a picture session with them, the Engine felt so smooth. THe M Eagle is noiseless for a diesel. Sounds more like a Petrol engine.

The seats were extremely comfortable, the steering had tilt control unlike my crude Bolero, the dashboard instrument cluster was perfect, the AC controls very good, Sound system quite good. Suspension ride good. Acceleration in the city excellent for a Diesel.

Rear seats had more than ample leg room, in the front visor had a vanity mirror with lights, wife would love it. Two sets of keyless entry remote controls, seat belt warning system, flatbed seats, well positioned arm rest, comfortable driving position. Plenty of cubby holes and good egronomics all around. A useful centre dash panel with a trip computer, pretty useful and a first.

The certified fuel consumtion was 11.8 km/litre. More than a Bolero which gives 15 kmpl in Gurgaon.

Doors lock automatically when the vehicle crosses 20 km / h speed, overall it felt like an american Chevvy Van or the Dodge Ventura. It actually felt better than the Toyota Previa I had in Dubai. Specially the ride quality.

Next day we drove it around Delhi and then took it on the highway to Aligarh and then Off road on the village tracks.

Even on unpaved mud tracks and in dry paddy fields the approach and breakover angles were suitable. The suspension was superb on the dirt tracks.

However the A/C kept tripping even when on Max A/C and the foul smell from outside kept coming even when the Air recirculate switch was on. The side window bead also came off loose. The Hand brake was defective, and the power steering a bit hard.

We contacted Sterling motors, they promptly booked it for 11 AM today, and there it is today for the above problems to be fixed. So far I have driven it for 1400 Km.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:42   #243
Senior - BHPian

The Xylo arrived back from Sterling Motors service centre. I drove it for a week, The handbrake and window trim problem has been sorted but the AC is still not cooling properly and fresh air is coming in even in the recirculate mode. I drove it a few times over the last week but the AC is not functioning as it should.

I am sending the Xylo back to Sterling Motors Gurgaon today.

Sterling Motors is not yet aware of the recall required for fixing the exaust recirculation pipe or excessive vibration in the gear stick.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:11   #244

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for your very descriptive ownership report. It helped me make my decision and today I booked my Xylo in Pune. After reading initial test drive reports, I wasn't sure if I wanted to by it, but your ownership report changed my mind. I test drove Tata Sumo Grande, Safari and Xylo on the same day and Xylo was the clear winner for me. I am not a cars geek so I can not talk much in the technical terms but here is what I found in Xylo:

1. The quality of plastic did not turn me off at all.
2. Gear has too much of vibration. So, I have to get used to not putting my hand on it when not required
3. Back seat does have a bit of rough ride, but not bad.
4. Overall ride is very comfortable
4. Breaking was good at the speeds of 40 - 60km.
5. A/C cooling is very good
6. DDAS is pretty cool feature.
7. Luggage space is very limited but I guess I can live with it.

Overall it was a good ride.

I am looking forward to the delivery of my car which is due on Thursday. I booked an E8 with Jawa Brown colour.
car4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:31   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car4me View Post
Hi Vinay,

I am looking forward to the delivery of my car which is due on Thursday. I booked an E8 with Jawa Brown colour.

congratulations buddy. i am sure you wont regret your decision.

happy motoring.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 10:51   #246
naj
BHPian

Default Xylo now with ABS

Hi!
Just read in todays Pune TOI that Xylo E8 will come with ABS now and will be priced at 8.19L ex showroom Delhi. and will be available June end . Thats great news.

naj
naj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 20:33   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car4me View Post
....It helped me make my decision and today I booked my Xylo in Pune. ....I am looking forward to the delivery of my car which is due on Thursday. I booked an E8 with Jawa Brown colour.
Congrats Car4me. This is a great car. Looking forward to tomorrow, I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!
Just read in todays Pune TOI that Xylo E8 will come with ABS now and will be priced at 8.19L ex showroom Delhi. and will be available June end . Thats great news.

naj
Thanks naj. I wonder if ABS can be retrofit onto a earlier E8...
manij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 12:03   #248
BHPian

@desertfox
Quote :

The certified fuel consumtion was 11.8 km/litre. More than a Bolero which gives 15 kmpl in Gurgaon.

Could you please explain this? Is it a typo?
nitindangoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 10:46   #249
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Xylo dealerships have a certificate displayed from PCRA or some Govt. body that Xylo fuel consumption is 11.8 kmpl in their test conditions, whatever it is.

My personal experience with Bolero is 15 kmpl when I have been driving it is Gurgaon with the A/C on. These days in peak summer it is more like 13 kmpl because the AC is on full blast.

The Xylo is too early to comment as it has done only 1700 km till date but the present fuel consumtion is 9 kmpl, but it is in the running in period so its fine.

Meanwhile the Xylo has poor dispatch reliablity. It is in the workshop of Sterling motors Gurgaon since last Friday, The A/C iwas tripping and at recirculate fresh air was coming in and foul smell and fuel fumes too in traffic.

Sterling motors tried best to avoid this problem.

Last Tuesday they sent the Xylo back citing they are busy, send it in on Friday or Saturday.

On Friday ( Jun 26 ) they attempted to send it back again saying you have to book a service four days ahead.

The general manager service was on leave. Service advisor who attended earlier on leave.

Sterling said they are up full.I also heard the excuse that the equipment to service A/C in their service centre has broken down.

I called up Mahindra Xylo customer care, call went to a call centre, they listened said yes yes yes but did nothing.

I traced the GM Service of Sterling Motors to some village in UP. I asked him whats up but only after stirring him up a bit. He said no problem turn in the vehicle , up full ? actually we have very few Xylos coming in because very few have been sold.

It did go in for warranty repairs at 11 AM Friday morning.

It is past 10.45 AM on Monday. After over three days I am yet to recieve a call from Sterling Motors.

There is no call from Mahindra customer care too.

One guy did call yesterday asking about my Bolero service experience which was over a month ago. I said I have already asnwered their standard query over three weeks ago, try and find out information on the status of my Xylo insted. No follow up.

Meanwhile my driver who had gone to turn in the vehicle apparently had some conversation with some service advisor at Sterling motors, and he reported that there are another six to seven Xylos standing at Sterling Motors service with the same problem - A/C system not working properly and Sterling Motors are bewildered with what to do.
Old 30th June 2009, 18:23   #250
Senior - BHPian

Vinay bhai,

I guess there is a typo error. the wheels are neither 275/75 nor 235/75. They are 215/75R15.

A wonderful review. i have a Xylo E6, T. Red. I have clocked 7500 Kms on it already.

The beep still confuses me, have you had it checked. This has not happened to mine.

The squeal from the front are the bonnet bushes. The review is quite detailed.

Cheers,
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 23:54   #251
BHPian

Default Xylo or Innova

Hi,

I am planning to buy a big family car to seat atleat 7 - 8 persons. My main concern is comfort, drive quality and ofcourse price. Which car do you suggest me?

I am not starting the thread once more, it only your suggessions I need.

Has any one done and 1:1 review of Xylo and Innova. If so please give me the details or the link.
Nagaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:49   #252
Senior - BHPian

@ nagaraj: i own an innova & have done a long TD of the Xylo. the answer is simple, if you main priority is reliability, brand image, ride quality and interior quality, go for the innova. else, if your priority is good performance & NVH, features & value for money, go for the xylo.

ultimately, it depends on what your budget is. the xylo top end version is cheaper than even the innova's base version.

the xylo's interiors are as spacious as the innova (the third row is more useable in the xylo), has all the features & conveniences present in the innova plus more, the xylo's engine is a bit more refined & more powerful, FE is the same, maintainence & service is much cheaper than innova's & visibility from the driver's seat is superb.

on the other hand, innova's interiors are a class apart, toyota's reliabilty is several notches above & ride quality is also better than xylo.

you can also have a look at this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-v-s-xylo.html (Innova V/S Xylo)

Last edited by raj_5004 : 2nd July 2009 at 08:51.
Old 4th July 2009, 16:57   #253
Senior - BHPian

I am really dissapointed with Mahindra Service - Sterling motors, Gurgaon. My Xylo E6 remained with them for over four days in the workshop but the A/C cooling issue, and the flow of fresh air with the recirculate button in recirculate position remains unresolved.

What do I do now ? Call up Sterling Motors and send it in for a third time ?
Old 4th July 2009, 19:50   #254
Senior - BHPian

@ desertfox: call the mahindra helpline. i have heard that they do try to help.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:02   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I am really dissapointed with Mahindra Service - Sterling motors, Gurgaon. My Xylo E6 remained with them for over four days in the workshop but the A/C cooling issue, and the flow of fresh air with the recirculate button in recirculate position remains unresolved.

What do I do now ? Call up Sterling Motors and send it in for a third time ?
Send a mail to the customer care again.

It sure has to help. I have experienced the "Mahindra effect", with my Xylo, They did their best to solve my problem, and replied to my mail in record time.
Its sad if they are still not doing the same now.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote